Air Malta

"extra luggage is non-refundable"

Trip Verified | If I could give them minus 5 stars I would. This is the worst and most dishonest airline I have ever dealt with. Don't expect them to ever return your phone call or email because it won't happen. I paid for extra luggage but was not allowed to use it because they didn't update the ticket. Then they admitted the mistake but won't refund the cost because extra luggage is non-refundable. This makes no sense.
RouteZurich to Malta

"Was promised a refund"

Trip Verified | Was promised a refund for my cancelled flight over 5 months ago. It still hasn't been processed. Air Malta are ignoring all attempts to contact them to chase up on this, and have not issued a single update on when refunds will actually be processed. Avoid at all costs.
RouteHeathrow to Malta
Date FlownMarch 2020

"Very tiring flight"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | The interior is old but confortable. It wasn't clean in Lisbon. Very tiring flight. No free service onboard. Bought a vegetarian lasagne, it was a regretful idea.
RouteLisbon to Malta

"worst customer support"

(Malta)

Trip Verified | Worst airline and worst customer support. The customer service is rude and they never work towards a solution. They always find excuses for the airline and imply that the airline is never responsible for anything.
RouteMalta to Amsterdam

"below average experience"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | I was slightly disappointed with my Air Malta experience. Wwe flew from Palermo to Malta, then to Rome after our holiday. In Palermo, there was only one check in counter open, which was necessary for us since we had to check our luggage. Thankfully we arrived early and there was only a very small queue. Palermo airport has terrible signage, we didn’t know where the check in counter was until we walked to the wrong zone. Boarding was done by bus at Palermo, all flights had bus gates. In Malta this is fine since there is literally no physical gates. Boarding was rather fast, and there were no zones, everybody can board at the same time. Both A320s we flew were older. The first flight was an all economy configuration, so the system gave us row 2, and row 3 was empty so I moved back to get a view of the landing. On the flight to Rome it was a bit weird, i was sent multiple emails asking if I would like to get upgraded, for what actually would’ve cost me double my ticket cost. Nobody was actually sitting in the first three rows, we had row 4 so I wanted to move to row 3 but the crew didn’t let me or anybody else. Service on both flights seemed nonexistent. I expected a drinks service on the Rome flight. The crew were friendly, seemed professional and helpful to those who needed help. Overall, a below average experience, if flying from Italy, I would recommend them. If flying from the UK or other parts of Europe, try to consider another carrier as well.
RouteMalta to Rome
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"Staff were miserable"

Not Verified | Heathrow to Malta. We were a party of 4 adults and one child. Staff were miserable. Hot food had to be ordered, but no one asked if we wanted anything. When we asked for a toastie it was like being told off for not ordering it. Drinks and food were served with a pay machine shoved in your face. The staff didnt even stop their conversation whilst serving us. When leaving the aeroplane, as always we said thankyou and again they couldnt acknowledge us or stop their conversation. One of our suitcases was ripped, got in a queue behind 5 others who had damaged cases. Our case was beyond repair and needed a new one to fly home with. 1 day of our 10 day holiday was spent getting a taxi to the nearest town, finding a shop that sold cases then taxi back to the hotel.
RouteLondon Heathrow to Malta
Date FlownAugust 2019

"refused to pay any compensation whatsoever"

(Malta)

Not Verified | Air Malta cancelled the second leg of my ticket. They did not inform me nor the travel agent in time. I was finally re-routed with a 4 hour delay and no compensation whatsoever. It was a horrible flight! This is not the first time Air Malta has ruined my holiday. Last year my luggage arrived 6 days late for a cruise and Air Malta refused to pay any compensation whatsoever. I can only warn anybody not to book this airline!
RouteMunich to Malta
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"2 hours flight is the maximum one would want to experience"

(Austria)

Trip Verified | Air Malta offers cheap tickets between VIE and Luqa. Both flights were on time. Although the seat configuration of the A320 is similar to their competitors they are still using very old seats that cause the feeling of having absolutely no room at all. I think that is the main problem with Air Malta - not sure if they are about to change that or invest into new planes but I would say a 2 hours flight is the maximum one would want to experience. There is no real service except the sales-trolleys so I was extremly surprised to see 5 cabin crew members on both flights instead of the regular minimum of 4 (certainly not because of the work load). Their business class is a little joke - there's not even a cabin divider so I was happy that I did not pay for a last-minute upgrade. When available in the cabin the crew was friendly but most of the time all five of them were not visible on both sectors. Since their competitors on this route are even worse I would say that KM is the best option our of VIE for flights to Luqa.
RouteVienna to Malta
Date FlownDecember 2019

"forced to check in hand luggage"

Not Verified | Amsterdam to Malta. I was forced to check in my hand luggage. They said there was no room in the plane, so it had to go in the hold. It was opened and things stolen. The whole reason I only took hand luggage. No compensation, it wasn't their responsibility they said.
RouteAmsterdam to Malta
Date FlownNovember 2019

"excuses and no compensation"

(Malta)

Trip Verified | Amsterdam to Valletta. At check in we were told that the aircraft would be small and different to usual Air Malta airbus, and had to give in our hand luggage in which we had breakables and no locks. There was also no food or beverages you can buy on the plane and as 'compensation' they gave us a 4.95 euro voucher to buy something quickly before. The plane was not Air Malta but GetJet - a Lithuanian airline which operates very old aircraft. None of the crew or the captain were Maltese. I am a nervous flyer- we paid extra money to use Air Malta because we trust Air Malta. Had we gone for a cheaper budget airline we would have saved a lot of money and we still would have had a better experience as at least they offer refreshments on the plane. We also had an hour delay before take-off and when we asked the crew what the problem was they replied that they did not know. Two of our luggages were badly damaged and a rain jacket was missing from a side pocket of my luggage which was found opened. What's even worse than this experience is their customer service - a whole month of sending emails and reminders and calling, only to get nowhere except excuses and no compensation at all.
RouteAmsterdam to Valletta