Air Malta

"nobody explained what’s happening"

(Malta)

Trip Verified | Malta to Palermo. Our flight was suppose to leave at 5am on 9th September. We were a whole family, with 3 kids aged between 2-9 years old. At 3:30am we were at the airport, everything looked fine, the gate opened as well. At 4:30am, the flight was delayed to 6:10am. A few minutes after our flight was marked as “More info at 8” at 8 it got marked “more info at 9”, and so on until it stopped “More info at 11”. In the meantime nobody explained what’s happening. Excuses ranged from no staff available, to no plane available, to no coach to take us to the plane. After hours fighting and arguing, the flight got delayed to 10PM. They offered accomodation for all of us, only to spend 2 more hours just to take us there. The issues escalated as we ended up with police and RIU officers around us. Finally at 2pm we arrived at our hotel, slept and showered and at 7pm were picked up again. While waiting in our gate for our flight at 10PM, it was once more delayed to 10:40pm.
RouteMalta to Palermo
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"Overall a great flight"

Not Verified | The inbound flight arrived with roughly an hour delay and boarding was quite awful as we were told to wait in the jetbridge for around 5-10 minutes, then we left with an hour and a half of delay, and the crew wasn't very smiling and welcoming - but you get used to it with Air Malta.I ordered a warm sandwich and it was delicious, they have some movies in the overhead screens, but that's it, and the legroom is above average. Overall a great flight. However, after arrival in Malta airport, our luggage was extremely damaged, and the ticket prices are quite high compared to what you get.
AircraftA320-200
RouteGeneva to Malta
Date FlownAugust 2019

"crew very cold, no smile"

Trip Verified | We were supposed to be returning back from Malta to Southend, where we took off few days previously. Unfortunately, few weeks before our trip our flight back was cancelled and we had no other alternative but to accept a flight back from Malta to Gatwick. Before we left the UK I wrote an email to customer service and they assured me I could get a cab back reimbursed between Gatwick airport and Southend airport by producing a receipt. Which I did. But unfortunately I had further forms to fill and all my firends had to give permission and sign for me to send their passport details to Air Malta and another too. Why are they making things so complicated ! I am the one who paid for the cab why should my friends have to fill those forms and send them back to Air Malta, is beyond me. I don't think I will ever get reimbursed for that cab back, on top of the inconvenience it has caused me and the time I have sent trying to sort it out! Other small details, the checking online kept crashing : it took me 50 minutes to manage it for myself and my friends. Also onboard we had a mid morning flight arriving after 2pm : we were sitting in the middle of the plane - they ran out of sandwiches. Had to make do with some crisps. On the way out, I wasn't very impressed with the cabin crew, very cold, no smile. Never using that airline again.
RouteMalta to Gatwick
Date FlownMay 2019

"small and incompetent crew"

Trip Verified | I was routed onto the Air Malta website by Skyscanner to book simple 40 minute puddle jump from Catania to Malta, and tried booking my flight through there. Never got a confirmation e-mail or anything, which would be strange for most airlines but, as I'm reading the reviews here, is typical for Air Malta. So I called up "Customer Services" long distance and after 40 minutes got a hold of a pretty friendly fellow who looked up my reservation promptly rebooked my flight onto the wrong day. Finally got a confirmation of my flight on e-mail, spotted the mistake, called them back. Got a new guy who went through the whole procedure all over again. Got confirmation e-mail. Wrong flight. Then called again and got some crazy fellow who started screaming at me on the phone and put me on hold for half an hour, and wanted to charge me twice the amount for the flight I had already booked. I demonstrated to this out of control hothead how easy it was to book on another website by actually booking and canceling my flight on Expedia while he waited - that's how desperate he was to prove the point that their website worked fine which he lost. Too complicated. Just took the hydrofoil over as I'd lost faith in this small and incompetent crew. Too bad as the hydrofoil proved to be much more interesting and faster than the entire time I spent on the phone with these guys. I understand from captive clients in Malta that no-one books on their website but goes through third parties or even travel agents to avoid.
RouteCatania to Malta
Date FlownMay 2019

"avoid them as much as you can"

Trip Verified | Rome to Malta. They have a dysfunctional technical system and website that might do booking errors and even send you confirmation emails with wrong data. The better part comes when you try to deal with their customer service for emergencies; this is when you realize that their call center is only person and that they are not “customer service” but rather “Customer Support” for ticketing as they mentioned. Finally for the cherry on top; even if they do realize they made a mistake they never own up to it but rather tell the customer that it is their fault for trusting the confirmation email they received. So they ask the customer to solve his issues and try to fly somehow either on other airlines or by paying for new tickets with new prices till they asses the case and decide whether a refund for the old booking is required. That is all besides the fact that their airport staff are of course hugely incompetent. I have travelled with more than 23 different airlines but this was by far the worst experience i had with an airline that supposedly charges you regular prices but operates as a low-fare or worse. Try to avoid them as much as you can!
RouteRome to Malta
Date FlownJune 2019

"there is a problem with check-in"

(Malta)

Trip Verified | Malta to Heathrow. I used to go business class but unless you have the front row the leg room isn't very good. It is also quite antiquated compared to say Cathy Pacific where for the same flight-time of around three hours you get your own cubicle, a menu and top-class service. I now fly economy and every time there is a problem with check-in. Instead of having designated check-in desks for each destination they have about five for all destinations. This causes all sorts of problems as each flight destination has differing takeoff times. It's not rocket science to figure out if there's a huge holdup in your queue with everyone going to different places that the earlier flights have the danger of either missing their flight or spending so much time queuing you get no time to relax or have breakfast before boarding. When I travelled to Heathrow from Malta in April this year the computer in our queue packed up. Instead of using some sort of intelligence and splitting our queue into other ones which were working we were simply standing waiting. I had got to the airport early and spent almost an hour in the queue just standing. In the end I jumped queues as I was worried I might miss my flight. The check-in staff are very slow, the slowest out of all the many airlines I've travelled with. The only trouble is I have to use them as there is no alternative.
AircraftA320-200
RouteMalta to Heathrow
Date FlownApril 2019

"My experience was very bitter"

Trip Verified | London Gatwick to Malta with Air Malta. The first face of the airline is the check-in counter. My experience was very bitter. Not friendly and acted as if you were not welcome at all. Also the lounge is a joke. They use the No. 1 lounge, which is packed with priority pass members - so packed that there are no places to sit and the food selection in the morning was bad.
RouteLondon Gatwick to Malta
Date FlownApril 2019

"Cabin crew were friendly and welcoming"

Not Verified | Flew LGW to Malta and return in April with Air Malta. Flights both ways were on time and comfortable. Cabin crew were friendly and welcoming. On board snacks to buy were good value. Seat pitch average but not cramped.
AircraftAirbus A320
Routegatwick to malta

"no help whatsoever"

(Israel)

Trip Verified | Our terrible time with Air Malta started with baggage check-in. We bought our tickets through Expedia and they just said "Economy". Turns out Air Malta has like 5 different ticket types and the one we had didn't have checked baggage. We didn't know this in advance, but whatever, we payed to check-in our luggage. We were traveling as a group of 3 and my friend was in a wheelchair because her leg was broken. She has been in a full cast up to her knee for over a month. On our way to Malta from Israel on flight Air Malta 829 that departed Sunday morning Apr. 14, 2019 at 7 AM, my friend was questioned about her cast, how long she's had it and if she's cleared to fly. We answered all of their questions, told them the cast was a month old and that the doctors cleared her to fly. In the end of this questioning we were all allowed to board and the Israeli ground stewardess even found my friend a row of seats so that she could elevate her leg comfortably. On our way BACK from Malta to Israel on flight Air Malta 828 that departed Friday morning Apr. 18, 2019 at 1 AM, my friend was giving the same round of questions, except that this time they declared she was unfit to fly and that their doctor said it would be very dangerous for my friend to fly with a full cast. It did not help that we told them we flew with there airline 5 days ago and that she was fine (they said that this was a mistake and she should never have been let on the first flight to begin with) or that we had papers (in Hebrew) proving my friend's cast was at least several weeks old - nothing helped. They told us she had to go to a clinic in Malta to get her cast cut so that it was a half (and not full cast) and that we were wasting our time. My 2 traveling companions got in a cab and went to go get the cast cut, in a foreign country where we knew nothing of the healthcare system. This would have been fine, but the clinic they sent us do didn't have the equipment to cut the cast! So that trip was a waste. When we asked what we could do if their own recommendation didn't pan out and they said that my friend would have to stay to get her cast cut at the hospital. We tried to find out from the Maltese Air Malta manager if there would be any kind of compensation since they would not let my fried on the plane - could they transfer her ticket? Book her a hotel for her extra overnight stay? We were given a negative response on both counts and she told us that it was stated clearly in the Air Malta rules that you cannot fly with a full cast (we searched for a while for these alleged rules and couldn't find them, only general airline guidelines that said you shouldn't fly within a few days of getting a cast) so this was our problem. When we tried to find out what else we could do and if we could maybe get the hospital that treated my friend to send an email in English that cleared her to fly, the manager speaking to us was very rude, said she was repeating herself and just walked away. Since the 3rd traveling companion and I could not afford to wait any longer or buy new tickets, we left my friend in a cast, with her wheelchair and crutches, to stay alone overnight and try and book another flight. Air Malta was obviously no help whatsoever. In the end my friend got a doctor's letter in English saying she was cleared to fly, and booked herself a flight back to Israel through another airline company (with a layover in Vienna, so this was not the most convenient flight.
RouteTel Avivito Malta (MLA)

"operated by Smartlynx"

Trip Verified | Flight operated as wet lease by Smartlynx (Latvia) having two additional flight attendants from Air Malta on board to overlook the board sales. Ex Lufthansa airplane. Although boarding on time, they had several minor problems, then always new paperwork and of course each time the promise that we will be in the next 10 minutes airborne. Takeoff delay about 1 hour 45 minutes, arrival still 1 hour and 15 minutes. This may happen, but it was the first flight in all my life, that had not only smaller technical problems but as soon as we were airborne also all toilets out of order at once. Not pleasure at all! Would not recommend SmartLynx. Air Malta was so far ok, nothing special but ok. And cheap, so you get what you are paying for.
AircraftA 320