Air Koryo

Air Koryo customer review

Honestly can't fault Air Koryo - their 1-star rating is completely unjustified. I've had worse flights on Malaysia Airlines Turkish Airlines and British Airways. I flew PEK-FNJ on a modern Tupolev-204 and both check-in and boarding were faultless. We departed on time and the cabin crew were courteous. Free food and drinks were served and the safety demonstration was very professional. Once we arrived in Pyongyang immigration took 10 mins and bags were delivered immediately. I'd definitely use them again.

Air Koryo customer review

FNY-PEK as part of an organised tour. The aircraft used was one of the newer Tupolevs. Good points. Check- in assisted by our 'minder' ensured that all luggage went through with no problems. Seating was better than some other aircrafts flown food - although only a snack was more than adequate for a short journey (and provided free). FA's were efficient and any reasonable needs were complied with. However the IFE consisted of the same propaganda film shown in the airport and must have been on an endless loop. The flight left earlier than my agenda showed although we got there in ample time I was not notified of any change. We were advised that there was no Business Class - there was and for most of us this would have been the preferred option. Overall I believe Air Koryu is a reasonable airline to fly and would not hesitate to use them again.

"crew are efficient, pleasant and helpful"

(Thailand)

Verified Review | It is absolutely unfair to give only one star to this airline: the Tupolev plane is in good condition and perfectly clean, the crew are efficient, pleasant and helpful, and last but not least, it is always on time, you can find many airlines much worse than that, for instance Air China on the same route. The route flown is the no. 1 route of Air Koryo linking DPRK to Beijing, and this entitles you to some patriotic videos on the overhead screen. The buns served are not too bad, and drinks are acceptable for such a small trip. All in all, a good experience.
AircraftTupolev 204
RouteFNJ to PEK
Date FlownNovember 2016

Air Koryo customer review

I flew PEK-FNJ at the start of my holiday in the DPRK. I had a bit of trepidation flying on North Korea's state airline but was pleasantly surprised. The Tupolev was smart and modern and the plane was new. We had a reasonable amount of space and the staff were smartly dressed and friendly. The food was a burger with a mystery meat inside which was not very nice and I did not finish it. The air ticket was part of my holiday package so I do not know what it cost.

Air Koryo customer review

PEK-FNJ on their brand-new Antonov An-148. Courteous and professional cabin crew served a lavish hot meal with several different savoury items in little plastic dishes - fish chicken salad plus a main of chicken curry plus dessert bread roll tea cider or beer. Landed on time and formalities to enter North Korea went very quickly. FNJ-PRK on their Tupolev Tu-204-100 wasn't as smooth boarding started early but a small hitch checking in a passenger with an oversize bag halted check in for over half an hour while staff dithered. This resulted in a departure an hour late which wasn't made up in the air and I missed my connection to the US necessitating a 24h stay in Beijing. Since I was originally only going to be in transit and not enter China Air Koryo's PEK staff had to rebook me before I could enter China which took about an hour. The change fee I incurred on my flight to the US was £300 of which Air Koryo contributed $100. Delays happen but this one was so easily avoided. Will definitely fly Air Koryo again as they are a very interesting airline compared to the competition (Air China) and have a vastly better onboard product but will be prepared for the odd burst of eccentric behaviour such as this.

Air Koryo customer review

I flew Air Koryo as part of an organized tour in and out of DPRK planes were new TU204s. The planes were clean and plenty of overhead luggage space crew was pleasant and efficient food okay for a short flight. The overall experience was better than some airlines with 2 and 3 star ratings.

"The food was acceptable"

Verified Review | Beijing to Pyongyang. The aircraft was clean, cabin crew friendly and the flight on time. You get the Pyongyang Times to read aboard. I flew for the first time this type of a Tupolev and found not much difference to some other aircraft. The food was acceptable. The selections of beverages could be better.
AircraftTU204
RouteBeijing to Pyongyang
Date FlownNovember 2016

Air Koryo customer review

I was flying from Beijing to Pyongyang with a Tupolev 204-300. The aircraft was in an excellent state and the service was very friendly. The flight departed and arrived in time.

Air Koryo customer review

Beijing to Sunan International an experience to fly their IL-62 it was back in time. Food was good and service efficient. As North Koreans travel with lots and lots of baggage it was placed all over the plane. Plane on time in Sunan but waited more than 1 hour for our baggage.

"the aircraft was clean"

Verified Review | Pyongyang to Beijing with Air Koryo. The departure and arrival were punctual, staff smiling and friendly, the aircraft, including toilets, was clean and there were magazines and newspapers at the entrance. The food was a chicken burger but the drink selection was rather limited, either water or one type of soft drink. It is maybe not the most luxurious airline but the service for a short-haul flight is better than European or American airlines I have used for the same distance.
AircraftTupolev TU 204-100