Air Italy

"Worst customer service"

Trip Verified | We arrived at SFO Air Italy desk to see staff was just standing around and talking, it was as we where inconveniencing them. I was trying to ask questions but they would over talk me and not take the time to listen to my questions. I just gave up on asking about our seats. Worst customer service ever. On our flight, the attendants stood in the back galley talking. This is not an airline I will be flying in the future.
RouteSan Francisco to Milan
Date FlownAugust 2019

"a 2nd rate unprofessional operation"

Not Verified | Flew Business Class from Milan to New York. Worst Business Class I have ever experienced. We were made to stand for one hour before boarding and the gate agents were never advised by the Captain that the flight would be delayed as the plane had to be cleaned! The board stated that we were leaving on time though this was clearly not the case. All they had to do is post a new departure time instead of leaving the original departure time on the board. I suspected something fishy in Cagliari when I noticed that 2 of their flights to Milan were over one hour delayed. Fortunately we flew Alitalia on this route. The food was awful except for the pasta dish which was served lukewarm. The seats were not completely flat but this did not bother me. The Purser insisted that everyone on the plane put their shades down though this was a day flight. The whole economy section was in the dark! He kept on putting my shades down without my permission. When I told him no the 3rd time as I was reading he told me to put the light on. I insisted on keeping half of one shade up. Their Dining on Demand like on Qatar and Etihad is a joke! They don't follow the time you request to eat and even forgot the desert. If they can't do it properly don't do it! The steward got angry with my travelling companion because she fell asleep between the hour we asked to wait for the entree after we had finished the appetizer. He had to reopen her tray table and the tablecloth had fallen to the floor. Seats are not fully flat but this did not bother me. The economy class legroom looked awful too. Clearly a 2nd rate unprofessional operation. Inflight entertainment was very limited and the music / audio pretty bad. OK they give pajamas but quite frankly I never wear them, especially on a day flight.
RouteMilan to New York
Date FlownJuly 2019

"I literally was trapped"

Not Verified | New York JFK to Rome via Milan. First: Ticketing Counter: Very inconvenient counter locations at the airport, the farthest counter from everything, around the corner and hidden behind all other counters that you actually have to ask someone to locate. By the way, they do not affiliate with Air Italy. First I thought it was just at JFK but to my surprise it was the same setup in Rome. Seems like they picked the cheapest counters at the airport. Second: Leg Room: Let's start with tight seats with no leg room, they do not meet the standard requirements. Once the seat in front of me is reclined, I literally was trapped and could not get up. I could not even close the food tray that was jammed on my lap. Wanted to reach out to flight attendant for help but obviously couldn’t reach out the overhead help button. No one walked by for hours until dinner time, but even then she was not able to help. As if people in economy do not matter at all. I understand that they have to treat upper class customers better but they cannot ignore economy class to that level. Third: Baggage Fee: No charge for luggage from US to Rome but they hit you with 'No luggage allowed' policy for economy unless you pay 100 euro each. As if it’s not the same bag came on the flight in to Rome. Why charge only one leg of the flight? When I refused the pay, they referred me to the supervisor who finally showed up after half an hour but was not helpful at all. In fact she was extremely rude and pretty much said to us “this the way it is whether you like or not”.
RouteNew York JFK to Rome via Milan
Date FlownMay 2019

"smooth and very pleasant"

Not Verified | My flight was to Milan from Toronto and return. Check-in was fast, the crew were polite and efficient on the ground and in flight. For the most part both of my flights were on time, just on the way back there was a delay of 2 hours but Expedia had informed me through e-mail 2 days prior of my flight. I was pleasantly surprised regarding the meals served on board to and from Italy, not only you can choose from a menu but the food was delicious! Also I found that choosing the option to pay for checked baggage on Air Italy site was much cheaper than paying at the airport, I paid in Canadian dollars instead of euros. I usually fly with Air Canada but Air Italy was much cheaper in comparison. The only thing that I would appreciate is that when choosing the option to pay for my checked bag online that it would indicate "1 checked baggage included" at time of booking. The flight was smooth and very pleasant. I will definitely fly with Air Italy again in the near future.
RouteToronto to Milan

"no seats were assigned"

Trip Verified | Milan to Palermo. We paid extra for an assigned seat only to be told no seats were assigned and we could sit anywhere vacant. Staff at check in and boarding gate vague about reasons. I’m trying to claim back the additional money we paid via their online claim form. It is very user unfriendly and keeps asking for a claim form number. Extremely frustrating
RouteMilan to Palermo
Date FlownJune 2019

"seat slightly more comfortable"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | Milan to Sharm el Sheikh in September 2018. We flew Air Italy 737 Max 8 before it was grounded, on 2 business class tickets. The seat pitch was so small, that even the length of an Ipad could not properly fit. I complained with the airline, and was offered a 100 euro credit, which i refused. I was asking instead for a credit of the difference between coach and Business, for two passengers. On the Milan to Sharm el Sheikh flight back in September 2018. and while the seat was slightly more comfortable, with a few extra cm of pitch, the pitch was probably the same to the one in the economy section of the cabin.
RouteMilan to Sharm el Sheikh
Date FlownJune 2019

"aircraft was modern, clean, and comfortable"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Naples via Rome with Air Italy. A very nice experience! The cabin crew were probably the most professional and friendly that I have experienced in many years. Completely bucking the trend of surly, and cheap service that most airlines seem to be offering now-a-days. The aircraft was modern, clean, and comfortable - plenty of leg room! The meals were excellent with nice snacks and fresh beverages. Even the entertainment was very good. The airport personnel wer also very efficient and friendly - altogether a very good flying experience!
RouteToronto to Naples via Rome
Date FlownJune 2019

"line which moves very slowly"

Trip Verified | Milan to Toronto. At Milan Airport you have to stay in a line which moves very slowly to get your boarding pass. If you like to check in online I believe you have to pay a fee.
RouteMilan to Toronto
Date FlownJune 2019

"thoroughly enjoyed the experience"

Trip Verified | New York JFK to Milan. I flew Air Italy for the first time and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The customer service was outstanding. My cabin attendant was fantastic. Anytime, I requested something or asked a question, she was patient, knowledgeable and most kind. Normally, I fly business class but was not available since i booked my flight 2 days before departure. I felt like I was in business class minus the bed. Also, the first officer introduced himself to me and told me to ask for him if needed anything. I have never had a pilot introduce themselves and offer their assistance, that's first. Hats off and well done.
RouteNew York JFK to Milan
Date FlownMay 2019

"seat was ok though still cramped"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Milan, the seat was ok though still cramped. Fortunately the flight was nearly empty and I got to rest my legs on the seat next to mine. The food was good, but I found the flight attendants were a little unprofessional.
RouteLos Angeles to Milan