Air India

"continue to fly with them"

Trip Verified | Kolkata to Bengaluru in economy class was a comfortable and safe flight and even though the boarding and departure was delayed by 15-20 minutes due to air traffic. The pilots tried to make up for the lost time enroute on this 2 hours 10 minutes flight which was good but unfortunately we landed 40 minutes behind schedule. For dinner, there was a good hot meal consisting of a paratha, dal makhni and panner masala with rice and a sweet dessert. The food quality was excellent and filling. The staff was cheerful with a good attitude. Overall, I would recommend the airline if one is looking for basic, solid service without too much glamour. The airline can certainly improve on it's OTP because that's where they are losing the perception edge as passengers believe other carriers are more reliable. I would continue to fly with them.
RouteKolkata to Bengaluru

"exceeded expectations"

Trip Verified | Air India from Bengaluru to Kolkata. This flight was the perfect example of when Air India gets everything right on this early morning flight to Kolata. From the self check in kiosks which printed the boarding passes to the flight itself which in fact departed on time and arrived 25 minutes well ahead of the scheduled arrival time. The flight was a very smooth flight with breakfast served consisting of an idli and upma along with fresh fruits and coffee which was very filling. Crew and staff were very quick and prompt in their service. Air India usually has problems when it comes to matters of reliability and OTP but on this occassion, they exceeded expectations and infact arrived well before time. The aircraft was among the newer 320s with sharklets and the seat was fresh and comfortable. Would like to thank the crew and staff for this flight.
RouteBengaluru to Kolkata

"absolutely horrible catering"

(Denmark)

Trip Verified | Copenhagen to Delhi. Spacy and comfortable seats in the business class, but absolutely horrible catering - worse than any low budget Airlines economy class. Flying out of Copenhagen, they should have been able to offer something better, but obviously they chose to bring some terrible food from somewhere else. Also the entertainment system and especially the offer of international movies as pretty poor. Next time I will chose another airline.
RouteCopenhagen to Delhi
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"never been treated so badly"

Trip Verified | Delhi to Bangkok. I was on flight Air India 332 to Bangkok on January 27th and I was treated so poorly. The flight attendant was extremely rude to me and would not serve me. I have never been treated so badly on a flight before- it actually made me sick to my stomach. I asked for a glass of wine and he denied me. He told me to “not treat him that way”. I pay money for this service, and to be treated as if I am a second class citizen. I will never ride Air India ever again. There is a group of men next to me who are being extremely loud and the fight attendants are no doing nothing about it. They are making kissing sounds at me, yet when I tell the flight attendants they tell me to just ignore it. I expect to be treated with respect when I’m on a flight, and am truly disgusted that you hire flight attendants like this who treat people like second class citizen. I am so disappointed in this service.
RouteDelhi to Bangkok
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"service took ages to start"

Trip Verified | Bangalore to Bangkok. Bad service (except for one flight purser who did his best). The service took ages to start, with passengers starving. The only time the air hostess had a smile on her face was she said that the bar was closed - after serving a single can of beer on an international flight!
RouteBangalore to Bangkok

"worst international airline"

Trip Verified | San Francisco to Chennai via Delhi. This is the worst international airline I have taken ever. The flight from SFO to Delhi departed 40 minutes past the scheduled time. When it was 30 minutes past the scheduled departure time, the captain informed us of the delay due to some reasons. I wondered what stopped him from informing us of this earlier. They have the worst in-flight service. Most of the IFE screens are malfunctioned. Some didn't work at all. The selection of movies, shows etc. were so limited and mostly outdated. The screen resolution would remind of 90s experience. There is no organization shown by the in-flight crew. Some snippets from the plane - People would stand by their seat for an hour or so every few hours ; couple guys would stand in the pathway , chatting for 30-40 minutes. Not to mention that it created so much inconvenience for fellow passengers to go to restrooms ; group of 3-4 guys would stand by the kitchen and restrooms for couple hours and chat casually. Surprisingly, I saw couple crew members joining them as well ; Some people in their seat would never stop chatting , though it was late night. The entire thing felt like a typical Indian fish market. I had a connecting flight with Air India to Chennai. Since the SFO flight was running late, I inquired with the crew members about the connecting flight status. Some said it won't wait for us and some said it would. After we landed in Delhi an hour past the scheduled time, I ran towards the connecting flight gate. The flight was still there but I wasn't allowed to board it. I had 3 other folks who were going to Chennai. We were put in another flight that left 3.5 hours later. Of course, the drama didn't end yet. This flight was scheduled to leave at 7.55 pm IST. It was 8.15 pm and there was no announcement on the status. There were two AI staff members at the counters. After I inquired about the status , they made an announcement for the ongoing delay. We boarded the flight 45 minutes past the scheduled time. While we were getting off the plane at Chennai, one of crew members falsely accused a passenger of keeping his carry-on bag in the restricted overhead compartment. Most of us saw a crew member putting it there since we ran out of space. So unprofessional. My return flight from Delhi to SFO saw another hiccup. This time they delayed the flight because 7 passengers couldn't come on time due to a delay in arrival from Mumbai AI flight. Remember how I missed the domestic flight earlier and I was told that 300 passengers couldn't wait so they had to leave without us. But they could delay the international flight for a delayed domestic flight. Such theatrics could only be seen with them. This is the first in my experience. They let down us again with horrible food (no seasoning and bland). Refreshments were barely edible. I would say it was the worst food offered on an international plane.
AircraftBoeing-777 200ER
RouteSan Francisco to Chennai via Delhi
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"Air India blacklisted forever"

(Denmark)

Trip Verified | Me and my wife flew with Air India on the 1st February from Goa to Mumbai, Mumbai to Delhi and Delhi to Copenhagen. We left Goa almost 2 hours late after scheduled time. We were told that we wouldn't lose the connection because the plane that we were going to fly from Goa would stop in Mumbai, get new passengers and continue direct to Delhi. When we arrived to Mumbai we were surprised as they told us to go out, together with another passengers to the counter E and check in again. We already had checked in back in Goa. We were running all the way through the airport to the counter. They changed our tickets and surprise! We run back again to find out that we went back onto the same plane. We left Mumbai delayed, probably because of so many passengers running around the airport. Later, staff told us that the plane in Delhi to Copenhagen was going to wait for us because we were around 10-15 people going on the next flight. The plane to CPH was supposed to leave at 14 and we landed in Delhi at 13:35. When we came out from the plane there was an operator waiting for us to guide us fast through security checks etc. to the other plane which was waiting for us. We went all together and the surprise was that everyone boarded and we were refused. They told us that our names were deleted from the passengers list. The staff could not tell us what happened or why did it happen, claiming that it must had been in Mumbai where they thought that we won't make it on the CPH plane. We looked at the plane from departure gate, leaving the hub at 14:43. That is when the nightmare started. The staff at the gate told us that our bags haven't even arrived from Mumbai due to the fact that we were deleted on the list. We spend 8 hours at the airport trying to solve our problem. Air India staff were rude when we asked for what happened, lazy to answer our questions lacked of professionalism. From the staff from the gate (4 people), we were pushed to another group of staff, then another staff and so on. They didn't admit the mistake they have made moreover, they claimed that we were late for the plane and that's why we lost it. We were fighting with everyone trying to get the true and they were sugarcoating us all the time. We were not the only ones at the airport with similar situation to ours. They even didn't want to give us hotel to spend the night. After fighting a lot they gave us a really bad and disgusting Hotel. During all day we were with no food and no water. Additionally, our bags went missing so we had no clothes to change or any hygiene appliances with us.We had a very bad ending of our holidays because of Air India's staff incompetence. I cannot understand how this company can be member of Star Alliance. Air India blacklisted forever.
RouteGoa to Copenhagen via Mumbai / Delhi
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"crew friendly but rather hopeless"

(Denmark)

Trip Verified | We flew Business class from Delhi to Paris CDG on AI 143 on 01 Jan 2019. The entertainment system for the entire plane was out of order, and the crew knowingly departed with the information that the system was unable to load any content including the basic flight map. In addition, the seat functions did not work in Business class due to repeated hard restarts of the cabin by the crew. So, this business class day flight turned out to be a nightmare, and not what is expected from a Star Alliance member. The crew was very apologetic, and they told me the system was also faulty on the two previous flights to and from FRA on previous day. Your customer contact center sent the following feedback: “Sometimes such efforts may not be successful and can be rectified only on the return of the aircraft to the base station. We are extremely sorry, as this complimentary amenity could not be enjoyed by you. Please be apprised that the shortcomings have been brought to the attention of the Department concerned and the Airline has already initiated the process of rectifying these issues, which soon will be taken care of. Any shortfall in customer servces is once again”’ The entertainment system and a functioning seat is not complimentary. I pay for this service as part of the ticket. It is a basic service which you failed to provide. Especially in Business Class. No compensation provided at all by Air India. Flight was on time, food was rather poor (maybe on par with premium economy on other airlines), crew friendly but rather hopeless. Lounge in Delhi is horrible. Food is almost non existent and staff is rather arrogant. I feel sorry for the staff as they seem to be in denial that Air India is now only a small player in the Indian aviation market.
RouteDelhi to Paris CDG
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"by far the dirtiest planes"

Trip Verified | Air India has by far the dirtiest planes I've ever been on. The staff are rude and incompetant and the planes are old. Nothing was cleaned and the entertainment systems didn't work for the majority of the passengers. The food smelt so bad that it wasn't possible to eat. They overbook all flights so you are packed in like sardines. Upgrading is a waste as the planes are so old and dirty that you aren't getting anything by upgrading. You could not pay me to fly them, it was that bad! They also weigh your carry on luggage. There is no wifi and as weith the entertainment, the charging ports don't work on the flights either.
RouteWashington to Mumbai via Bangalore
Date FlownNovember 2018

"Never fly Air India"

Trip Verified | Terrible. Not recommended. From Male to Bangalore is 2 hours flight. We left hotel at 8:30 am for 10:55 flight. We were told flight is delayed by 1 hour at check in counter. After 1 hour we were told 3 hours delay. Then after that 1 more hour delay. At 3 PM. We were told our flight is cancelled and aircraft never even left Delhi. After hustle we we provided with very nice SriLanka Air flight leaving Male at 8:45 PM! But that time we already spent 12 hours in airport. With one stop we reached Bangalore at 3:30 AM! That made 18 hours trip from Male to Bangalore, instead of 2. Others passengers told us flights are cancelled regularly. They are very often late. My husband missed his connection flight to Toronto via Frankfurt and was made to pay for that flight. Unbelievable! Never fly Air India.
RouteMale to Bangalore