Air France

"claim financial compensation"

Trip Verified | My flight on 1st March was delayed for more than 6 hours at Paris airport. A couple days later I contacted the Air France customer service to claim financial compensation for the delay. Almost 4 months later I haven't received any compensation, and the company stopped following up with me. I called customer service many times and I was always told they would get back in touch with me on the phone and via email, but they never did. It seems to me that the company is trying to "save" money on those delay compensations.
RouteParis to Montreal
Date FlownMarch 2024

"no one wants to help"

Not Verified | My suitcase arrived 3 days late, I spoke to them and since I was there for work and meetings, they instructed me to buy the necessary items for my work and hygiene so I did and when I got back home and asked them for reimbursement They asked for thousands if documents and I provided every single one, then out if no where they just said the documents are not complete and I kept emailing and calling them and asking them what other document they need, they tell me now everything is complete but no one knows why I was rejected and why that supervisor just decided to deny the case, they are now after a month telling me to wait 21 business days until I can reopen the case again. So ridiculous that they charge an arm and a leg and lose your suitcase and when the time comes that they have to pay such little amount, they give you a good run around and no one wants to help and just gives you a hard time.
Date FlownApril 2024

“The food was poor”

Trip Verified | My trip was a code-share ticket through Delta (miles) in Business Class from Houston to Paris. This review is for the Air France flight from Mexico City to Paris (CDG). First, the lounge experience that Air France leverages in Mexico City is subpar. The hard product (A350-900) is a very nice aircraft. No complaints with the seat, although the space for legs/feet for sleeping is a bit tight. Boarding was hectic in Mexico City. The flight attendants were friendly but nothing beyond the basics. The food was poor. The steak dish was horrible and bland (and cool). What really made this flight the worst, was the fact that Air France did not load any passenger bags (or pets) on this flight and did not tell the passengers until after arrival in Paris (at an empty baggage claim belt), and everyone had to enter a claim. Even though they knew this for the entire eleven hour flight. Apparently overloaded with cargo. Air France does not have bag tracking like United (for example) and the claim system was not updated promptly, so no indication of if/when bag would be delivered until a few hours before arrival at hotel the following evening (and I was leaving for another city in the morning!). Submitting claims for items purchased in slow and they don't except bank credit card receipt info (even though this shows date/location/store/item type, etc.). Had to be persistent with my responses and still not be compensated for the entire amount. Ability to contact Air France Customer Service is not easy to do. They have it set up to mostly avoid "human" contact.
AircraftA350-900
RouteMexico City to Paris
Date FlownMay 2024

“Quality of food was pathetic”

Trip Verified | Bangalore airport - Ground staff at check-in were highly unprofessional and very rude. Bangalore - Paris - Toilets (yes, all of them in Economy) did not have water for PAX to wash hands. Real hygiene issue. Quality of food was pathetic. Quality of headset was bad - audio was crackling. Flight announcements were garbled. Paris - Toronto Crew was very rude. Request for extra blanket was ignored (yes, they did not come back stating they could not provide) There were no beverages served after first meal service. Not even water! Snack served before landing did not have all portions. We were two of us and there were missing items in each of our packets - cannot believe flight crew are so inattentive to what they serve. Pressing CALL button - flight crew ignored. We had left the button on for 10 minutes and pressed it twice. On a long 8 hour flight, crew did not bother serving water or beverages frequently. Flight announcements were garbled.
AircraftBoeing 777-300er / A330-200
RouteBangalore to Toronto via Paris
Date FlownJune 2024

"no compensation would be rewarded"

Not Verified | Months ago we purchased two nonstop tickets from Chicago to Paris. The night before our flight, we got an email that we've been rebooked Chicago - Detroit - Paris, with the first leg being on Delta, the second leg being Air France in Detroit. We were annoyed because we paid for a nonstop ticket, but figured, at least we will still get in Paris, just a few hours after our original itinerary. Well, Delta to Detroit was delayed, and even with 20 of us that got rebooked on that Delta flight in Chicago trying to make the Paris connection, Air France did not wait for us in Detroit. We landed 36 minutes after the scheduled Paris departure. Now, we were stuck for a whole day in Detroit. We had horrible room accommodations, a shuttle that never showed up, and a day wasted on our short itinerary. To make matters worse, there was no one at Detroit airport from Air France (AF) to talk to all day so we tried working through an agent with Delta, but they could not see AF's international flights to help. Since we were now arriving in Paris a whole day later, we had a hotel night we had to pay for, museum tickets purchased in advance we could not use, and dinner reservations with a strict cancellation policy that charged us for not showing, despite our emails and pleas to not charge. Regardless, AF initial decision to bump 20 of us off the original nonstop flight in Chicago to Paris, caused us all to miss a whole day in Paris and cost us hundreds of dollars. I made a claim on Air France's website, which they replied to and said because the delay was less than 3 hours, no compensation would be rewarded. What are they even talking about? They clearly did not read our claim, so I called customer service, to which they could only reopen the claim but we cannot talk to anyone on the phone who handles the claims. I pleaded with them on two separate phone calls over two days to please let me talk to someone in claims or customer service or anyone who can help, to which they were very strict in saying there is no one for me to call, I just need to wait another week to hear back by email. Sure, the email's that they don't read and just send random responses to... all I can think of now is to get their attention by 1 star reviews. What a horrible airline, with horrible policies. I can call any other airline, and have, and been able to get in communication with someone that can help.
RouteChicago to Paris
Date FlownMay 2024

"Air France weighs cabin luggage"

Trip Verified | Air France weighs cabin luggage. I would expect this behavior from a low-cost airline, but not from France’s national airline company. Anyway, very poor service. I would recommend it only if you want to be treated badly and see how a terrible customer experience feels.
RouteParis to Bologna
Date FlownMay 2024

"I could upgrade to business class"

Not Verified | I booked a San Francisco to Paris flight - with extra legroom. Two days before my flight, I received an email from Air France telling me that I could upgrade to business class for an additional $1,100 (no small amount, but a fraction of the normal business class ticket price). Ticket purchased and confirmed. The next day, I received an email saying that they have switched aircraft and that my business class ticket would no longer be honored. I applied for a refund on Air France's non-user-friendly site, only to be told eight times that I didn't qualify, but twice that I did, only to later receive another notice saying I had filled the form out incorrectly. They just send back a decline and no further instructions. This has been going on since January. I've spent hours navigating their system. Long ago had to pay the credit card bill. This run around seems intentional. (I've even had French friends get involved and each time they hit a wall - not because I'm not entitled to a refund, which I clearly am, but because the online system either disconnects or ends up requesting information that I couldn't possibly have.) Even when they told he that my paid for seat was not available, the second line in the email said, "You will receive a full refund for the price of your ticket." It's not rocket science. What frustration.
RouteSSan Francisco to Paris
Date FlownJanuary 2024

"not sitting next to each other"

Not Verified | The airline shuffled my daughter and my seats so we were not sitting next to each other. I attempted via chat via the website and with a direct telephone call to have our seats changed so we could sit next to each other. When I finally got to an actual person, they told me they could do nothing to change our seats and they would not do anything. I asked to talk to their supervisor and they said their supervisor does not take telephone calls from customers! We are not getting what we paid for, and there is absolutely no way to resolve the issue with the airline. In my opinion, this is the worst airline experience I have ever had, and the rudest people I have ever dealt with.
RouteChicago to Paris
Date FlownMay 2024

"Mixed feelings about the flight"

Not Verified | Mixed feelings about the flight between GRU and CDG. On the positive side was the seat, perfectly private with sliding doors, great screen (selection of movies was ok but not overwhelming), of course the food and lovely wines were offered (but not proactively refilled). What really left me puzzled was how incredibly dirty the toilets were, already one hour into the flight. It was obvious no one really checked those toilets at any time. Furthermore the slowness in which the meal was served was disappointing. I am absolutely a fan of no rushed meals when a flight is 10+ hours and I love to take my time, but on this flight it took a full hour before we were served an aperitif and another hour for the meal to be served. At the end of the meal, we were already 3.5 hours into our flight with another seven to go and two hours before landing breakfast was served. Of course one may skip the breakfast and sleep a little longer, but it is hard if all cabin lights are being put on and there is action in the aisles. After connecting at CDG, which is a true ordeal if you have to change terminals, the short regional hop from Paris to Frankfurt was uneventful with reasonable food (though coffee in paper cups).
AircraftB777-300ER / E190
RouteSao Paolo to Frankfurt via Paris CDG

"FAs were good"

(Denmark)

Trip Verified | Copenhagen-Paris 16th May. 2024 on a A320. Checked in on-line but to no avail, as luggage has to be checked in anyway. Check in refused to transfer my luggage to the next leg of journey, which was extremely inconvenient for transit in Paris and costed me at least an hour of extra struggle. Previously, AF in CPH often checked in my luggage to final destination. However, this service is obviously unpredictable, depending on who sits at the counter. The station manager tried and even took over the checking in. However, eventually she declined as she failed to identify any AF agreement with the next airline: Rwandair. Boarding smooth, full flight; on time; luggage arrived well in Paris. Onboard, given emergency seat, fast track. Given access to “Apartment lounge” in Copenhagen due to FB status. This lounge is not world class, but is nowadays likely the best in CPH airport concerning food and drinks. Onboard, no free WiFi and no IFE. FAs were good and provided two rounds of cold sandwiches and most sorts of drinks. Wines were acceptable. Respected by FAs as Flying Blue gold card holder and I was well catered for. Could have rated much higher if they would have accepted checking in my luggage beyond Paris.
RouteCopenhagen to Paris CDG