Air Canada

Air Canada customer review

A trip from home from Greece to Calgary resulted in arrival 41 hours after the scheduled time. Air Canada did not contact me once during this time only provided vague updates through the hotel staff. On the ensuing flight from Greece customers were still charged $10 rental fees to use the in-flight iPads despite being delayed more than a day and a half. Disgusting customer service and clearly poor plane maintenance practices. A good way to ruin a vacation is to fly with Air Canada.

(New Zealand)

We had three short haul domestic flights with Air Canada - YVR to YYJ YYJ to YYC and YYC to YVR. One flight was on time one was 25 minutes late and the other was over an hour late. Minimal information was provided about the delays and most of that was obviously incorrect. Check-in at YYJ and YYC was simple and efficient but at YVR was terribly slow with only 2 bag drop desks open and huge queues. The overhead lockers on the YYC to YVR were inadequate leaving everyone a scamble to find space anywhere they could. I would give any other airline a try next time - Air Canada performance leaves much to be desired.

(New Zealand)

LHR to YVR 777-300ER. Fairly new aircraft with everything clean and working as it should. Cabin crew were okay without being anything special. I found the staggered beds to be quite comfortable although if travelling alone it is better to avoid the pairs of seats near the window unless you want to climb over/be climbed over by a stranger. Food was okay but nothing special. Air Canada lounge at Heathrow was nice but the check-in process was poor. The premium desk was far removed from the economy kiosks with poor signage and the Air Canada roving ground staff lady that we dealt with did not help. It was only when we reached the bag drop desk after a long wait that we were told where we should have gone.

Air Canada customer review

Toronto YYZ - Tel-Aviv TLV. Flew on new 787-8 aircraft in a standard economy window seat. The plane has only been in service since the early summer and it shows. It still looks (and smells) new. The climate control system pumped fresh air into the cabin the AC was very good. The windows on this plane are huge. The ambient lighting changed according to our journey's progress and provided a good general atmosphere. The entertainment system was excellent and fast responding with an extended selection of films TV shows games etc. Every seat came with a USB plug as well as AC power. Flight attendants were courteous professional and between them spoke 6 languages to cater to the various passengers. The overhead storage bins were very large. The cabin in general seemed spacious and pleasing. Before I review the seats and leg space please make note that I have small build 5'5" (165 cm) and 132 pounds (60kg). Leg room was ok as long as you don't have carry on luggage on the floor. The seat reclined to a relative comfortable position (as far as an economy seat may be comfortable) although I didn't note a major improvement over other/older Air Canada planes including the 767-3 which was replaced by this plane on this route. The big problem with the seating in economy is the 3x3x3 configuration. The seats are narrow. I was lucky that nobody was sitting in the middle seat next to my window seat. The seat felt cramped without a person sitting next to me. It would've been almost unbearable to fly for 10 hours with someone next to me. Remember I'm smaller than the average person and couldn't imagine how an average or large person could last in an economy seat for such a long flight. Air Canada definitely dropped the ball with this seat configuration on an international flight. It might work for a short haul flight but not on a 10 hour flight. Simply outrageous design decision. Another inexplicable design decision was to mount controls on the arm rest exactly where you'd put your arm. There were several incidents witnessed during the flight where a passenger accidentally pressed the flight attendant button. The flight attendants reaction was as if it was a common occurrence. I myself accidentally pressed the seat lighting button a few times and changed the volume on my flight entertainment program. This is a very annoying design flaw especially if a stranger sitting next to you will push the buttons on your flight entertainment controls. Food was horrible possibly the worst meal I've come across specifically the main course for dinner as well as breakfast. One bite was more than enough to leave the food on the tray. The new plane has a lot going for it but is plagued by design flaws in economy that would most likely make the long journey in economy a very bad experience for almost every single person. Disappointing! I cannot recommend a flight on this plane in economy. My suggestion would be to pay the extra money to fly in Premium Economy. The seats looked far more comfortable and had had a better 2x3x2 configuration. I also suggest to eat prior to flying at the airport and/or buy food to eat prior to boarding.

Air Canada customer review

On September 8 I boarded my connection flight scheduled to depart at 6.30pm from Calgary to London Heathrow but after boarding the pilot announces that there was a problem with the de-icing device. They spent hours trying to fix the problem but in the end the flight was canceled. By the time we walked out of the plane it was almost midnight. I understand that due to safety issues there was no choice but to cancel the flight but what I'm extremely upset about was the unhelpful staff and lack of support for the 300 passengers walking out of that plane at midnight in a snowing city hungry and without anywhere to go. After exiting the plane we were summarily dismissed by agents who could do nothing to help us rebook our plane find hotels or even to just to remove our "checked-in" status so that we could call the helpline to rebook our flight. Because the desk agents failed to remove my "checked-in" status (when I asked they told me it would be done in about an hour which did not happen) I had to call the help line 3 different times before someone there was able to reach the ticket office to fix things up and issue me a new ticket for next evening. Needless to say it was a sleepless night. As a single Canadian adult traveling by myself with all the right gadgets and adequate travel insurance I was lucky enough to sort everything out myself albeit with endless frustrations. I can only imagine how much worse it would have been for foreigner families or elderly people with hearing problems. Because of this experience I will probably take a vacation from Air Canada for a long long time.

Air Canada customer review

Flew from Calgary to LHR. Comfortable seat food was good. Plane was clean. Only defect was the inoperative entertainment system. That was no great hassle I had a good book. Boarding was well done. Terminal 2 at Heathrow was hopeless. It took an hour to get through Immigration. Many booths were empty and the fast track computers were "down" so the fast trackers cluttered up the "other passports" group. Air Canada has some terrible reviews and my son in Calgary warned me of its reputation so I had bought some muesli bars just in case. I was pleasantly surprised the flight was good. I would use them again. Round the world flights seem poor value.

Air Canada customer review

No entertainment from Toronto to Lisbon simply lights out. While I had entertainment from LA to Toronto my daughter had none for both legs of the trip. I can not imagine in this day and age that an airline offers no entertainment. Food was okay but you must pay for wine on international leg of trip. I think it's either BA or AF from now on.

Air Canada customer review

Travelled from Heathrow to Vancouver we sat for 90 mins on the runway with little info but just problems with one of the engines. The TV did not work and we had to wait for the stewardess to be ready to re boot it! The seats are 3x4x3 and very little leg room although the leather seats were quite comfortable. The worst thing was the rude service we got from the air hostesses they looked like it was too much trouble to do anything for you! The food on return flight was appalling before we landed we were handed a yoghurt and a dry slab of some kind of cake. For the price of the flights I felt the great films did not make up for the bad service poor food and cramped conditions!

Air Canada customer review

Booked a flight in February to Greece since booking our return flight has been changed 4 times. We first had one stop in Montreal then straight to Edmonton landing at 10.30 pm. After the 4th change Air Canada had added another layover in Toronto after Montreal now returning at 1.30 am. I wouldn't have booked this flight if I knew this is the way they operate. There are too many other airlines that never change there flights no matter how full or empty the flights are. Book through another provider.

Air Canada customer review

Our family flew from Vancouver to Sydney in Business Class on the final leg of an around the world trip. All other Star Alliance airlines were great. Air Canada was shocking! There were no shower facilities in the Air Canada lounge in Vancouver. The aircraft was very dirty. Crumbs of food smeared sticky stuff old rubbish around our seats. We had ordered special meals due to medical conditions for 3 family members. The food was inedible - overcooked. Our business class meal consisted of chicken that was too hard to cut potatoes that disintegrated as soon as we tried to pick it up with a fork. Dessert was a small fruit salad. We were offered our breakfast instead of our dinner in case that was better and the crew were understanding but there were no other food options available for a 19 hour flight. We were hungry for 19 hours (travelling with 2 children). This would have been unacceptable in economy. Upon receiving our complaint Air Canada offered 10% discount off our next flight. Useless as we will never fly with them again.