Air Canada

Customer rating from 2035 reviews

"A horrible experience from the beginning till end"

(Poland)

Trip Verified | There was a 3-hour delay, which apparently is not unusual. The delay was due to the fact that somebody forgot to fully close the cabin door, and the de-icing liquid got inside the airplane! They lost our luggage! Their customer service was speaking very poor English, and couldn't do anything anyway. A horrible experience from the beginning till end.
RouteOttawa to Toronto via Chicago

"Rude Cabin Crew"

Not Verified | Unclean Aircraft - Horrible maintenance aircraft washroom. Rude Cabin Crew - Very bad attitude and behavior from the lady cabin crews. I asked for some water to take my medicines and the arrogant female cabin crew started yelling at us. Some who were not females, were well behaved and empathetic. Unfriendly website: Air Canada website is technically faulty and did not allow me to change flight. Dicey and misleading refund options: I opted for a refund. But Air Canada refund policy is not transparent because you pay 0$ cancellation fee but you are not refunding full amount. So hidden deductions but Air Canada will not share with customers.
RouteBangalore to Toronto via Frankfurt
Date FlownAugust 2022

"absolutely cannot change a flight date"

Not Verified | Couldn’t make a flight due to family emergency. I still ended up driving an hour to the airport to see if I can talk to someone regards to just switching the flight. I wasn’t looking for a refund and even though I offered to pay a fee for rebooking I got zero help. I don’t believe that you absolutely cannot change a flight date! The situation was handled with zero care! I called a bunch of customer service numbers and got the same treatment pretty disappointing
RouteHouston to Ottawa
Date FlownDecember 2021

"The check in process for Air Canada is atrocious"

Trip Verified | The check in process for Air Canada is atrocious. You have to do everything yourself, the equipment hardly works. There is no staff to assist you either. I requested assistance via the self luggage check in, after 10 minutes of holding up the line someone came to help. Every single person had an issue with the baggage check in. There was a roped off area nearby with actual people working but we weren’t able to go to them for assistance? Why pay Air Canada prices to do all the work yourself?
RouteToronto to Antigua
Date FlownNovember 2022

"Service on the admin side is terrible"

Trip Verified | We originally booked and paid for a direct flight to Barcelona, where we were to board a cruise ship. Air Canada cancelled that flight only 2 days after we paid for it, and bounced us around on at least 3 other non-direct routes, but never offered a refund for the lower priced tickets. This final flight, via Lisbon, had a 75 minute window to connect on Air Portugal flight 2676. About 24 hours prior to departure from Toronto, we received an email announcing that the flight from Toronto to Lisbon would be 45 minutes late leaving Toronto. Once in Lisbon, we found out that Air Portugal had a second flight to Barcelona about 2 hours later. Air Canada should have made that our connecting flight from the very start. With about 2 dozen fellow passengers from the Air Canada flight scrambling to get to Barcelona, that later Air Portugal flight was quickly full. We did not get tickets for that flight. There was absolutely NO Air Canada presence in the Lisbon Airport, and Air Portugal denied any and all responsibility to even assist us. More like “Star Non-Alliance” from our perspective. A Portugal police officer, stationed at the airport, was the only person who gave us assistance during our 17 hours stuck there. With the help of Holland America, we finally got a midnight flight to Malaga Spain and joined the cruise ship two days late. A loss of almost $2,000 for the two of us. Air Canada responded to my detailed inquiry with an unsigned form letter stating that the delay was not their fault. To me, it smacked of arrogance. Check out Air Canada’s FAQs on their web site. Read their definition of how they calculate a mechanical delay at the origin if it happens to subsequently coincide with a weather delay at the destination. It’s all about protecting Air Canada and denying any responsibility. I have long disliked this airline. Customer Service on the admin side is terrible. On the plane, it is not bad. Phone them and you are routinely on hold for an hour plus.
RouteToronto to Lisbon
Date FlownNovember 2022

"do not have anything positive to say"

(Denmark)

Trip Verified | My girlfriend and I changed our booking prior to our flight and we have a reciept saying we should get 100 euros refund as a result of us changing the booking. We have waited 5 months so far and have not received a cent. We have contacted air Canada several times to ask where the money is at. The first time we were told it would arrive shortly. The second time we were thrown around between different people until we got hung up on out of nothing. The third time today I called in and asked where the money was at and now they say my name isn't even the one on the ticket and booking reference I've made. They refuse to receive my boarding pass and receipts which state that the ticket is of course mine. As to the actual experience flying with Air Canada I do not have anything positive to say. Our food was extremely small portions and very bland. I would not recommend buying anything through Air Canada if you can avoid to do so.
RouteZurich to Vancouver
Date FlownOctober 2022

"to me its an airline from the stone age"

Not Verified | Just a horrible airline, very bad service, very expensive, old airplanes, dirty and fallen apart seats, rude staff. They need to learn from some airlines like Turkish Airlines, Qatar Airways or even Aeromexico. My last trip with Air Canada was an embarrassment, they charged travelers a 1 cad for earphone and serving water from this dollars store 1.5 litre of water, very embarrassing. I misplaced my credit card and I only had my debit card on me and I wanted to pay for the earphone, the flight attendant handed them to me and proceeded to get the payment but apparently their payment system doesn't accept debit cards, so she told me that my payment wasn't accepted and asked me hand back the earphone. A nice lady behind was a witness to this surrealistic situation and paid for my earphones, I fly at least 3 times a year for many years and I always avoided Air Canada until then, to me its an airline from the stone age.
RouteVancouver to Puerto Vallarta
Date FlownApril 2022

"got a bad impression"

Not Verified | My wife travelled from Chennai (India) to YYZ. I had few questions for customer support like the price for 2nd Baggage (as they have been charging for 2nd bag recently). Support informed 105 CAD, also I asked about 3rd baggage - she said its again same, so my wife took the 3rd baggage too and at airport she was asked pay 300 CAD for second baggage. They also did not give an option to pay online which would have been less for me but at airport they have charged 8500 (142 CAD). This is total daylight robbery. I would never opt for Air Canada next time. Poor Support. Also another support person mentioned that passenger has to get second boarding pass at Frankfurt (transit) which gave me more panic. And that is again not true. Lufthansa issued both boarding pass at Chennai (MAA). Support is totally not aware of any of the airline policies and also they want to rob ppl at their throat. Total regret and got a bad impression from my wife during her first travel.
RouteFrankfurt to Toronto

"Check in was easy"

Trip Verified | Check in was easy. Only serves drinks on aircraft which is not bad for 1.5 - 2 hr flight I checked in online without any issue. Then at the airport lady helped me with luggage check in.
AircraftCanadair Regional Jet 900
RouteOttawa to Washington
Date FlownOctober 2022

"Absolutely no complaints"

Trip Verified | Flight left delayed however Air Canada informed us early enough via email and text so that we could leave for the airport later. Plane was clean, all classes fully booked but boarding went nevertheless smoothly and orderly, cabin crew was excellent/superb and to my surprise food was well presented and good. Even deplaning - which in Toronto is at times plagued by delays - went without a hitch. Absolutely no complaints.
RouteMiami to Toronto