Air Canada

Customer rating from 1969 reviews

"confined to the limited legroom of a 737"

Trip Verified | Without question this is the worst long haul flight I have ever taken. I couldn’t believe that for 11 hours we were confined to the limited legroom of a 737. Was the 737 designed for long haul? The first leg of the overnight flight, from Vancouver to Halifax, didn’t serve a meal, but put out the lights and expected us to sleep. During the night we were hungry and thirsty, and had to go to the galley and ask for refreshments. Thank goodness we managed to buy a decent breakfast at Halifax Airport! Then back onto another 737 for the second leg of the flight. The meal offered was small and fairly tasteless (I think the worst I have ever experienced on long haul), and again the need to visit the galley to stay hydrated. The overhead lockers were absolutely jam packed by the time we got seated, and I ended up putting my rucksack under the seat, eating into my already limited legroom. It’s almost impossible to compare Air Canada with other carriers which I use for long haul e.g. BA, Thai, Malaysian, Cathay, Emirates, where the passenger is kept fed and hydrated by attentive staff. When I arrived at Heathrow I took two flights to reach home in northern Scotland- with BA and Loganair. Each flight was less than an hour and had I more room and comfort than crossing the Atlantic!
AircraftBoeing 737 MAX8
RouteVancouver to London Heathrow via Halifax
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"Overall very bad experience"

Trip Verified | I took my Air Canada for the first time. First flight was travelling to Doha on Sept 8th that was delayed 5 hours sitting in the plane. Then flight was 13 hours. So total spent 18 hours in plane. Next connecting flight luckily was delayed that's why able to get next flight. On way back the flight of Air Canada was from Cairo to Toronto on Sept 24th. Boarding was done sat in the plane then after 2 hours was un boarded. Then sat in the waiting area for 2 hours more and then advised flight is canceled and next flight will be next day 24 hours. That next day flight was delayed again for 30 mins but reached Montreal on time. From Montreal to Toronto again same Air Canada flight was delayed in departing one hour late and then we reached sat in the plane for half hour due to an emergency happened. Overall very bad experience and will try not to travel in this airline again.
RouteCairo to Montreal
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"only 3 delays and rerouted tickets, I was only 11hrs late"

Not Verified | After only 3 delays and rerouted tickets, I was only 11hrs late. Then they canceled my wife's return ticket without notice, and I was forced to buy a brand new ticket to get home in time! So wonderful, truly a memorable flight experience. They offered me a “discounted” direct flight home for only double the cost of my original round trip ticket, what an amazing deal. When I showed them the same flight on their website for half that price they were completely confused. Ended up purchasing that ticket, because it was cheaper than the “solution” they were offering for the problem they created. 0/10. Zero stars. Looking forward to this companies inevitable restructuring and name change so they can go about offering terrible service under a different moniker soon.
RouteSan Diego to Athens via Montreal
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"the staff was rude and very unprofessional"

Not Verified | If you don't want to lose your mind with delayed and canceled flights I would avoid this airline. Our pilot was funny and informative, but the staff was rude and very unprofessional. The Air Canada app is another sore point. If you can get it to work, it kicks you out and makes you verify everything again. Will never fly with this airline again.
RouteEdinburgh to Toronto via Denver

"not a great experience"

Not Verified | Seats comfortable, very thin blanket more like a large dishcloth, small but adequate pillow. Food just about edible, handed a paper bag with an undercooked croissant and a yoghurt in it. Staff very sad looking and totally disengaged. Overall not a great experience.
RouteVancouver to Heathrow
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"the food was minimal and beverages were few"

Trip Verified | We purchased premium economy tickets with the view that the higher class ticket would provide more comfort for the 14 hour flight. Much to our dismay the seats were not comfortable and provided less room as compared to Emirates or even Cathay Pacific. I will also echo the sentiments of others that the food was minimal and beverages were few. If travellers have any other option, I would highly recommend choosing another airline.
RouteVancouver to Perth via Brisbane
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"AC agents were so rude, creating unnecessary delays"

Not Verified | Flew from Toronto to San Francisco, Air Canada was making all passengers place their roller bag and personal items in the baggage sizing tray to make sure they were up to par before letting them proceed to security line, created a long unnecessary line just to size bags and many people were told their personal items were oversized despite clearly being small enough to fit under the seat, and were made to go back to the check-in desk agent to pay 30$ per bag to check in a small personal item (and go through another line, no less). No other airline was doing this except for Air Canada. I travel frequently, approximately every 6 weeks and travel carry-on only, my backpack was also refused despite having taken this backpack on Air Canada and other airlines multiple times before and fitting perfectly well under the seat as my personal item, and when I brought this up to the agent they said 'that was before, we're auditing people now'. Despite being 3 hours early to the airport, we still only made it to our gate 15 mins before boarding because of this unnecessary hassle. The AC agents were so rude, creating unnecessary delays. Will not be flying Air Canada again.
RouteToronto to San Francisco
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"Food portions were stingy"

Trip Verified | A completely full flight. Departed and arrived more or less on time. Seats in economy are of the type that slide forward when you recline, which limits reclining ability for anyone over 6 feet tall. In practical terms it means leg room is reduced cf. advertised. It was bearable though. Main issue was with the food and beverage service. Food portions were stingy. Two tiny drinks in 9 hours is simply not enough to stay hydrated. Service was unfriendly borderline rude. Overall not terrible but could be much better with improved service.
RouteVancouver to London

"Very frustrating experience"

Not Verified | Very frustrating experience with Air Canada. Overbooked, assigned seats separately and not able to change that to have seats together. Crew was not helpful and very irritated, makes you feel sorry that you asked anything. After continuous delays, when we finally started disembarkation the crew was very eager to leave the plane and rushed us in a rude manner.
RouteVancouver to Toronto
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"disgusting level of due diligence"

Trip Verified | I flew Dubai-Toronto (4 hour layover) and Toronto-Montreal on June 15th/16th 2022. Two things happened on this trip, first, the Boeing 787-9 (long haul flight) upkeep and comfort was in dark contrast to the Airbus A220-300 used for the 1 hour flight. Yes, the Airbus A220-300 was a much more comfortable flight in everyway. Second, I arrived in Montreal after a very very long journey and had to wait in the understaffed luggage claims line, for another hour, with 30 or so other passengers from exclusively AC flights, all of us with missing luggage, confused and tired. During this wait, we witnessed the comedy act of airport security walling off the luggage carrousel which was overpiling with late / delayed lost baggage. No information was shared other than, we will let you know, enjoy your stay in Canada. After 2 weeks of calling, filing in useless complaints reports on AC's website and making trips to the airport, I was finally re-united with one bag, which was in a 3rd party storage facility a 15 mins drive from the airport, the 2nd bag was delivered the following day. Compensation? fill in another report and attach your receipts (what justification can you give a passenger for delaying their baggage for 2 weeks, I flew to your hub in Toronto for God's sake, the layover was 4 hours how did you misplace the luggage?). During this time all the communication and effort was one way, this is a disgusting level of due diligence from an airline which promotes itself as excellence. This is not excellence, this is utter garbage. On my return flight I flew premium economy, little did I know, I would experience the novelty of skipping a hot meal on a flight for the 1st time in my life, the food was inedible. In September (3 months after my flight) an AC customer service agent emails me stating ''we have decided to compensate you for your 14 day delayed baggage, we are happy to give $400 CAN. $400 CAN for losing my luggage for 2 weeks. On top of that, the customer service agent instructs me to share all, and I mean ALL, of my banking info. so that they could transfer this meagre payoff. Why? They do not have a system which allows transfer's to customer's living abroad. its 2022, I used a credit card to pay for the flight, all details of which are logged and registered on your system, at least, a normally functioning company's system. I have now spent 2 weeks advising AC that it is unacceptable to make such a statement (international transfers) and unacceptable to ask your passengers to share their bank details online via email. Air Canada as an airline is a total disgrace to Canada.
RouteDubai to Montreal