Air Canada

"Zero accountability and customer support"

Trip Verified | Air Canada is an awful airline, literally the worst customer service. It is clear that making money is more important than offering quality service. Because we left late and it took an hour for them to let us out of the plane, I missed my connection. Not a single Air Canada employee (flight attendants, customer service reps at the gates or in customer support, the phone-based customer support included) had any idea of what to do to support the people that missed their connection. The best we got was a person handing out a card with the various phone numbers to call to try to get help. I was on hold waiting to be helped for over an hour on 4 different occasions. During two of the calls, the customer service rep hung up on me because they didn’t know the answer to the question I asked. I was also told they didn’t know exactly where my luggage could be or how I could pick it up. In person, the customer service person was rude and only directed me to the phone numbers on the card. Zero accountability and customer support.
RouteVancouver to Bogota via Toronto
Date FlownMay 2022

"Something needs to be done because this is getting ridiculous"

Not Verified | Air Canada is hands down the worst airline I have ever taken. I fly a lot, and this is by far the worst experience I have ever had with a singular airline. They always delay or cancel flights (with usually terrible excuses) and rebook you on worst next day flights without respecting your time. When you attempt to change the flight by calling their customer service, they typically have very long wait times. If you then choose to talk to a representative in the airport, they are very very rude in person, saying it isn’t their fault either, and are generally very unhelpful. They often delay your baggage too, something I have experienced multiple times. They are becoming worse as an airline by the year, its getting ridiculous. I believe this is a case of lack of competition in Canada. WestJet and Air Canada basically owning a monopoly on flights in Canada means us Canadians are forced to book with them and put with their terrible terrible airline without many other options. Something needs to be done because this is getting ridiculous. Air Canada, please sort out your terrible airline. We are all sick of not being able to have a normal flight experience.
RouteToronto to Washington

"the worst experience"

Trip Verified | Air Canada is by far the worst experience I’ve ever had with an airline. They have no system in place for other clients who miss their flights and always resort to pick and choose who to let fly. On connection from Sudbury to Toronto my plane was delayed 4hrs leaving Sudbury. On arrival in Toronto after missing my connection when I asked a lady at a desk she told me go to a long line customer service to rebook because the flight is full. When I asked another lady shortly after she gave me a boarding pass and I boarded a nearly half empty plane. This is just my experience in 2022. Almost every flight on my 2022 trip was delayed.
RouteToronto to Montreal
Date FlownMay 2022

"The worst airline experience"

Trip Verified | My flight to Ottawa from Montreal got canceled twice. The first canceled flight made me stay over night in the airport. No compensation given, no meal coupons, no stay option, no alternative commutation option. The worst airline experience I have ever been through. Not recommended at all.
RouteMontreal to Ottawa
Date FlownMay 2022

"would not fly Air Canada again"

Not Verified | Our flight was canceled, and the attendants left the gate an hour before we received an email about it. No announcement, no direction on where to go next. Air Canada left multiple elderly people in the middle of the airport that was closing. Absolutely awful. We went to the first service desk and no one was there. Went back to departures and gave us a flight the next morning, no hotel and no support finding a place to sleep. They provided vouchers for food, which we realized was not useable during our wait in the airport. Insanely terrible, would not fly Air Canada again.
RouteMontreal to Toronto

"Flight was cancelled"

Trip Verified | Flight was 11:05am Mon. May 15th. Pearson to La Guardia. We arrive 3 hrs before. Told we cannot join security line until our flight is called. It was too busy at the F Gates. Sent to Aisle 15 to wait. People are getting called with about an hour to spare before departure time. They clear the backlog sort of. I get super lucky and have 2.5 hrs. Security line is very long. Get through that and immediately I'm in the US Customs line. Takes over an hour to just go through the US Customs line. People are telling Pearson employees they are gonna miss their flight. I get through customs and to my gate. Air Canada flight is delayed by an hr and a half to 2hrs. Maintenance issues. Then after that it delayed for another hour. We get on board after 2:30pm. Pilot comes on. La Guardia has issued a 2 hr ground stop due to bad weather in the New York air space. US Customs will not allow us off the plane to sit at the gate. 25 min later I get a phone notification. Flight was cancelled. Pilot comes on 5 min later to confirm. US Customs makes us wait. Then tells us we must exit through Canadian Customs. Get in that massive line after going no where. Get to to kiosk, there's no cancelled flight option. Get to the guard. He didn't even really seem to know what to do. He wanted to see all my vax stuff. I never went anywhere. At baggage claim we ask at the Air Canada desk where our bags will go. He said not there because its a cancelled flight. We must go to the connections desk. Connections guy says we were supposed to pick it up at an international carrousel. That's not what the last guy said. Given a blue form. Told to leave our carry ons at the connection desk (Cad Customs won't let them through). Go to a blue clock and wait to be escorted. We wait 2 hours. Someone comes. They can take 10 people at a time as per Cad Customs. 10 leave and come back 2 min later. Our bags are are going to Domestic Carrousel. We fight to get our carry ons back. It's past a security checkpoint. We go to domestic 1. We wait 4 hours. Nothing from our flight comes through. People get fed up and go with an Air Canada employee. Our bags never were taken off our cancelled flight. We are told our bags will automatically transfer over to our auto rebooked flight the next morning. We have to trust the airport to do their job.
RouteToronto to La Guardia
Date FlownMay 2022

"There is no sense of customer service and politeness"

Trip Verified | The worst airline I have ever flown with. Let's start at the check-in counter at Toronto airport, the counter attendant didn’t know what she was doing, she messed up my existing boarding pass and tried to re-issue my new seats and a boring pass (which she didn’t know how to do and then she has to ask someone else for help). She then wanted me to repay for additional luggage charges, which I had already paid before. I asked her to get her manager so I can explain the situation she didn’t want to call the manager, but after insisting her and demanding to see the manager she finally called the manager. I asked the manager to provide me with his and her details so I can complain/send my feedback. The manager refused to provide any details about the counter officer and replies "sorry due to confidentiality I cant provide you with her name". I went back to the counter and asked for her name, she gave me only her last name and then walked off. Next is the In-flight experience which was worst as well, flight attendants are rude and ill-mannered. There is no sense of customer service and politeness. The attendant didn’t care if you called them for help, they just walk off and turn the assistance bell off. The meals were half-frozen. Limited in-service of water and any other drinks. Flight attendants were rude and grumpy. I travel a lot due to work and other commitments and have flown with many airlines, but Air Canada is the worst of the worst. People don’t waste your time and money flying with this airline.
RouteToronto to Vancouver via Sydney

"absolute worst experience"

Not Verified | The absolute worst experience of my life. My five friends and I booked a trip to Toronto using Air Canada. Our flight was at 6am, we arrived four hours before departure only to see that our flight was delayed 4 times and we were placed on two separate flights, one with a two hour layover and one without. The first delay occurred at 9am, 10.40am, 12.15pm then approximately 2.55 until it was officially cancelled. We completely understand the unfortunate event of delay, malfunction or simply weather conditions, however we expected at least kind customer service from the staff of this 'business'. The 'supervisor' on duty rolled her eyes at our simple questions and left everyone in a panic. She even uttered the words 'I don't care, that's not my problem'. She is the definition of what not to do when representing a business or team. We were left needing to book a hotel on our own expense and did not receive any compensation for anything whatsoever. One of my friends was in need of a wheelchair as well so I called an employee for assistance, she seemed bothered by this since she was forced to get up from her chair and pause her social hour with another coworker. She sighed and proceeded to lecture me about how it was our fault that he did not have any assistance.
RouteNewark to Toronto
Date FlownMay 2022

"worst airline I've ever flown"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | This is my first time flying with them though it wasn't by choice as it was a code share with ANA. The experience with ANA and Air Canada was night and day (ANA being day). I was told at the check-in counter in Bangkok that my baggage will be checked though Toronto but need to go through the immigration in Vancouver. OK. I've almost missed my flight to Toronto as the immigration and security process at YVR took so long and confusing. There was an Air Canada staff at the security line but didn't do anything to help when asked. It was 10 mins pass boarding time and I was still on the security line. All I had for the answer that, you will need to ask others in the line yourself! Luckily, there were about 6 of us on the same flight in that line so we worked together to get through. When arrived in Toronto, I was waiting for my baggage for 20 minutes, saw nothing, and next flight baggage were about to arrive. I turned to the ground baggage desk for help informing that I've been waiting for 20 mins for my baggage. She said sometimes you need to wait for 45 mins without asking any further information from me! I was not stupid! Next flight baggage were coming and mine didn't show up. There must be something wrong! I had to talk to her colleague to file a report of mishandled baggage which took another 15 mins! Nightmare! They said 'I don't see your baggage on the flight. 24 hours, you should have your baggage delivered to your hotel!' OK - 24 hours! Turned out, I needed to wait for almost 72 hours for my baggage to arrive and had to follow up with them everyday. No email update on status. When I filed for the claim, they took 3 weeks to respond my email. Another 1 week to update me that they have received my banking details. And I need to wait for another 3-4 weeks so the request is issued! Why do I have to wait for my own money that I didn't need to spend in the first place because of Air Canada's fault? The whole process is just too long and inefficient. No service-mind and proper customer-handling protocol. By far, Air Canada is the worst airline I've ever flown. And don't get me start with my Toronto-Vancouver experience. What a nightmare!
RouteVancouver to Toronto
Date FlownApril 2022

"no hello when scanning boarding pass"

Trip Verified | 2+ hours delay, with the a 15min increment added every 15 mins. Rude CSAs yelling at people in the cramped gate area. No smile, no hello when scanning boarding pass. Nearly a universal experience when flying Air Canada
RouteCyvr to Cyul