Air Canada rouge

"unethical, irresponsible"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Honolulu. I was threatened of cancellation 3 times and had to re-purchase my ticket each time thanks to some flawed algorithm the airline uses. I received emails stating that it was potentially a fraudulent purchase, and I needed to come to the airline in person to show ID, otherwise, I would be cancelled within 48 hours prior to travel. I was not refunded any money either, just informed of this. Because I was traveling with a young child and a party of 4 others, I had no choice (otherwise I'd have bought another ticket with a different airline). I drove 2 hours out of my way in order to do this, and when I got to the airport the Air Canada representative told me I had to repurchase the tickets. I told him I was not refunded, and he insisted that "the money was on its way." This was 3 weeks ago, so essentially I paid double for my tickets and had to drive way out of my way in inclement weather to do so. This is the worst airline ever - unethical, irresponsible, and fraudulent.
RouteToronto to Honolulu
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"Entertainment on your own device"

Not Verified | Lima to Toronto. Not sure why we deserved a budget airline service when travelling on such a long cross-continent flight. We had a snack and a meal included. The planes are dated, no way to set your own temperature. Tiny overhead cabin storage and small seat pitch. Entertainment was on your own device, which was not clear when booking or checking-in. The ground service was horrendous. At check-in where we were quizzed on our trip to Peru (despite leaving and heading to Canada) with questions designed to trip us up and stickers placed on the passports with sellotape and we were told to never remove them. We were submitted to random patdowns and bag searches at the departure gate, delaying the flight. Apparently this was at the request of Canadian security services (although we saw it set up at gates for US-bound flights too) but it was odd and when happening at 3am local time, quite disorientating.
RouteLima to Toronto
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"better than I was expecting"

Not Verified | Toronto to Montego Bay. Morning flight, delayed by an hour. Premium Rouge class, seat 1A, was better than I was expecting. Decent leg room, breakfast consisting of fruit and oatmeal tasty, and cabin staff friendly and attentive. Compared to my return leg via WestJet Premium, Rouge Premium was a close second. Would consider a second trip with them although I won’t recommend to others due to an over abundance of negative reviews - and I think I may have just got lucky. I’d need some further travel using Rouge.
RouteToronto to Montego Bay
Date FlownDecember 2019

"take only one carry-on luggage"

Trip Verified | Got my round trip flight to Tampa from Toronto through Hotwire. They offered me one free checked bag plus one carry-on for the trip. Air Canada did not honour the offer. I had to take only one carry-on luggage. In Toronto they checked in my carry–on luggage for free as the airplane was full. In return flight, they charged me $24 US for the same luggage while they were announcing the airplane was full and they did check in all carry-on luggage free of charge! We had 2:30 hours delay in Toronto to Tampa and 35 minutes delay in Tampa to Toronto.
RouteToronto to Tampa
Date FlownDecember 2019

"I think it’s time to up the ante"

Trip Verified | The whole process from start to finish was a nightmare. 1) First of all I thought I had Pre-booked my seats for this flight and wanted to confirm with Air Canada. I tried to call in to Air Canada and after 2 hours of waiting on hold I gave up. 2) 24 hours later I was able to book my seats and found I was sitting in a middle seat on the 27th row. I always want to sit close to the front and sit in an aisle. I was very upset and could not change it. 3) Getting to the airport they would not accept my pre registered booking as my husbands middle name was put backwards (first and last name was correct.) We tried to register on the machines but it would not issue a ticket for my husband. We had to wait over 1 hour in a line up to get our ticket. 4) From there we had to run through security and terminals to get there just in time to board. 5) We finally got onto a cramped Rouge plane filled with crying children all around us. So cramped you could hardly get through the passage. In truth I felt like a cattle of animals. There was barely room for your legs. Food and drinks were non existent until the last 40 min of the flight. This was truly one of the worst trips I have taken. WestJet in my opinion offers better service, leg rooom and comforts. I think it’s time to up the ante. I fly approx 12-14 times a year and this honestly was one of the worst flights I ever had.
RouteFlorida to Palm Beach via Toronto
Date FlownDecember 2019

"thought we'd be alright without money"

Trip Verified | Miami to Toronto. It was our family's last day of vacation in Miami Beach and our rental car was broken into and our cash, credit cards, bank cards, DL's, iPads taken. The only saving grace was our passports were not taken. After hours of sorting things out with the Miami PD, insurance and the bank we had $0 and still many hours to go before our flight. I thought we'd be alright without any money until we got home. Then we went to the airport, go to check in at the electronic kiosk which included our 1 check in bag which cost $22US, I had forgotten about that cost. I went up spoke to the Air Canada rep and explained the situation. I offered to pay the following day if possible, I made no progress with her so asked to speak with her supervisor. She went away and came back and passed along the following message from her supervisor. Her final answer, "Sorry, there is just nothing we can do. You will just have to leave your suitcase here. You can just take your stuff out of the suitcase and wear what you can." I asked to speak with the supervisor and was told she was busy on the phone and while we waited for her to come out another passenger who overheard our situation offered to pay for our checked in luggage. These actions make a difference that you just cant explain, such a thoughtful gesture from some really incredible people. I will be paying this forward tenfold.
RouteMiami to Toronto
Date FlownDecember 2019

"Rouge plane isn’t fit for purpose"

Not Verified | I have flown this segment (TOR-Victoria) a number of times. I used to commute Toronto to London, UK and typically paid less for that flight segment (even buying less than a week’s notice). This Rouge plane isn’t fit for purpose: seats are falling apart, no legroom, no food (5 hour flight?), no screens, we bus out to the tarmac from AC’s hub at Pearson, the plane never leaves on time - the entire experience is borderline - criminal. I’d love to see ACs CEO saddle up for this experience in economy. The least he could do is put a proper plane/gate on the route.
RouteToronto to Victoria
Date FlownDecember 2019

"don't have any additional food"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Barcelona. Purchasing the tickets was a complete nightmare. The website kept getting errors and I could not book the dates I wanted. Customer service helped me over the phone advised they apologized and because of the Mishap they would place me in a better seat free of charge with extra legroom. I am in the plane right now. If your guessing I don't have extra legroom you're right. I also never ended up getting the dates I wanted because the representative kept getting the same error as I got initially. Fast forward to the airport. Get on the plane, no entertainment. Pay for Wi-Fi or use their App is the entertainment. I went online, took out my gift card, and it turns out they don't accept their own gift card. Whatever, I pay. They bring the food that is included. It's not good at all. I wait for someone to come to ask if I want anything else. No one for about and hour and a half. So I press the service button on the elbow rest. No one came for another roughly 20 minutes. I get up and walk all to the back of plane and ask for Their meal combo. Turns out they don't have combos on international flight. They don't have any additional food on this flight except for chips. I buy anyway, because there's another 5 hours left and I have a gift card... but they don't accept their own gift cards for food either. So it's basically useless now with the remaining balance.... How am I going to spend 120 remaining on a gift card if I can only use it for plane tickets? I only have 6 months to use it or lose it.
RouteToronto to Barcelona
Date FlownNovember 2019

Air Canada rouge customer review

Trip Verified | Toronto to Honolulu. Do not use this airline. They cancelled me 3 times, sending me an email saying it had to do with "fraud alert" and that I had to purchase the ticket in person at an Air Canada kiosk, which is 2.5 hours from my home. I repurchased the ticket with another credit card, even though the former was fine and it should have gone through, and 3 days later it happened again. I will never fly with Air Canada rouge again.
RouteToronto to Honolulu
Date FlownOctober 2019

"penalized for choosing to pack light"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Miami. My wife and I had 1 backpack carry amongst the two of us. We were asked to remove it from overhead storage and put it under our seats. I had shoes and towels stored in the backup making it bulky. I could not sit comfortably throughout the flight. When quizzed as to why other travellers with large and heavy carryons were given first priority - the attendant said that was just the case. It is brutal that we were penalized for choosing to pack lightly. Furthermore, we have seen multiple smaller backups and handbags stored in the same bins. I cannot say why our bag was removed. Atrocious!
RouteToronto to Miami