Air Canada rouge

"airline charges for checked baggage"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Mexico City. I paid for extra leg room as I am tall (6'5") and on the return trip from Mexico the trip was abominable. I had to either spread my legs out, or cross them in forming an X. In addition, because the airline charges for checked baggage, there was no room for my backpack except under my seat, which limited the available leg room even more. Three days after the experience, I still have back pain and leg cramps. In addition, the app for inflight service demanded to be updated, and the wifi provided by the place did not allow for the update except by paying wifi fees. I will never fly with Air Canada Rouge again.
RouteToronto to Mexico City
Date FlownOctober 2018

"had to download an app"

Trip Verified | Our trip started in Atlanta to Toronto. This was a 2.5 hour trip. Our flight was not bad, but during the flight all we got was a cup of coke to drink and no snack. Our 2nd flight was Toronto to Athens, a 9 hour fight. Seating is what it is in this day an time, but most airlines have small TV's in front of you to see a movie or to see the flight. We did not know that we had to download an app on our phones to see a movie and when we did, the movies were so old, we did not bother with them. As meals go, we had a small meal which was chicken, a cold piece of bread, some kind of salad and a small cake. As I said this is a 9 hour flight, so we get breakfast if you want to call it that. All we got was a piece of sweet bread and coffee. The staff were friendly and helpful nothing bad there.
RouteToronto to Athens

"We enjoyed our flight"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Athens. We enjoyed our flight. The seating was narrow and had little adjustment. We had two meals and a snack all of which was enough for the flight. The staff was very friendly and attentive. We did not miss the entertainment as we read and napped. We would use this carrier again.
RouteToronto to Athens
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"seats are narrow and short"

Trip Verified | Nice to Montreal. We had an overseas flight which was over 8 hours. First, the seats are narrow and short with very little leg room. There was no entertainment system at all. We were only served a hot beverage once the whole flight. We had a little turbulence, but the flight was over 8 hours! I would not book with this airline again.
RouteNice to Montreal
Date FlownOctober 2018

"sold as Air Canada flights"

Trip Verified | Calgary to Las Vegas. The most uncomfortable flying experience available with flights that did not leave on time and oblivious staff. It’s underhanded that these flights are sold as Air Canada flights and yet offer a completely inferior level of service. Shouldn’t be allowed to market them this way. If it’s a different airline and essentially a different service,sell it that way.
RouteCalgary to Las Vegas

"the blanket was dirty"

Trip Verified | Barcelona to Toronto. Our flight with Rouge sucked. The cabin was chilly so I decided to use the blanket given me. When I opened the plastic bag the blanket was dirty. I showed it to my husband too and we politely asked the attendant if we can have another one. She said sorry and took the blanket when we showed her the smudges. Fifteen minutes later, heard nothing from her and so I asked another attendant. She was also being asked by the lady seated in front of me for a blanket I believe. She simply said to me with a straight face “sorry no extras. I don’t know what happened to your blanket or where it went but no extras”. I told her the same thing I told the other attendant and she said something like nothing she can do because a they are not in charge of the laundry for those stuff and that no extra blanket dismissively and left. What a customer service. The flight was 9 hrs. I left the window shade open to let the sunshine in for a bit of warmth. We got home safely but with colds.
RouteBarcelona to Toronto
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"an all-around cheap experience"

Trip Verified | Beware! Air Canada and Air Canada Rouge are not the same airline! There is a serious difference in quality/experience between these two. Air Canada Rouge provided us with smaller seats, no inflight entertainment, one meal for a nine hour flight, and an all-around cheap experience. The inflight entertainment did not work for either of my devices, my father's device, both individuals sitting behind us or the individual sitting in front of us. We were advised that the system "just doesn't work" for some "older" phones (I got my phone last November). Of course, the $10 iPad rental worked well, but there are a limited number of these. We were I believe 12 rows from the front and I got the last available iPad rental (they came through the front first, so if you were at the back you were out of luck). The food was terrible, even as plane food comes. The only saving aspect was the kind flight attendants, but it really wasn't worth the price. Stay away from Air Canada Rouge and don't fall for their marketing campaigns, trying to claim this to be the same experience at a better price. It is most certainly not!
RouteVancouver to Dublin
Date FlownAugust 2018

"Seats are old and uncomfortable"

Trip Verified | Barcelona to Montreal. Worst international flying experience! Seats are old and uncomfortable and jammed very close together. No TV screens or entertainment at all for an 9 hour flight. I later heard they had iPads for rent to watch a movie but we were not informed by the staff. We were unfortunate to get seats in the very last row facing the toilets which added an insult to an injury. Strong smell of urine through the flight, non-reclinable seat back, last in line to be served for anything. By our row no choice of food was left and what was offered contained nothing but load of cheap carbs - potato salad, pasta with nothing in it and bread so hard it felt like days old. The flight we booked was supposed to be with different airline but they flipped the airline on us for unknown reason. Feel cheated and very disappointed. The only good thing to say is about ground service. With extremely tight connection interval our bags made it to the second leg of the flight.
RouteBarcelona to Montreal
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"excellent value for money"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | Barcelona to Lima via Toronto. Excellent performance overall. This is a low-cost leisure carrier, not Singapore Airlines, so set your expectations accordingly. My partner and I both thought that for the price paid (750 euros each for two round-trip long-haul flights, Barcelona-Toronto and Toronto-Lima, with a 5 day stopover in Toronto), Rouge provided excellent value for money. The planes are old but well maintained and clean (including toilets). The staff were pleasant throughout. The seats are fine, with adjustable headrests, not overly narrow and certainly no worse (probably better) than the 3-4-3 layout you find on some newer 777 aircraft. A blanket and pillow come on each seat, and I was able to sleep on the night flights. There are no personal screens, and the app which you download is hit and miss, the music selection terrible. Bring a book. The food is not great and limited in quantity, but it's free, and on one of the flights I asked for an extra bread roll and was offered an entire second meal. My partner asked for something from the menu card, was told it wasn't available and was then given a gin-tonic for free - so they are making an effort. Staff are generally friendly, hardworking and efficient, given their low numbers, perhaps one negative is that on one flight (Lima-Toronto) grooming standards were laughably low. Connections in Montreal and Toronto were well handled. Of the 5 flights (4 Rouge plus one Air Canada domestic flight from YUL to YYZ), only one was late (BCN-YUL), we were met by Air Canada staff who had new boarding passes ready for the following flight, plus $40 dollars in vouchers which we didn't have time to use, but since they are valid for 1 year, we used them at Toronto airport three weeks later. Our bill at the airport restaurant we chose came close to $70 including alcohol, but staff took the vouchers and waived the difference! Perfect! 1 bag from Toronto-Lima didn't arrive, but probably our fault as we checked it in late. It was delivered to our hotel by the following morning. Points were added to our Lufthansa Miles & More cards. I'd probably look for alternatives next time, but if if value is what you want, then they can deliver.
RouteBarcelona to Lima via Toronto
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"dated and uncomfortable seats"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Berlin. This was the worst overseas flight of my life. Horribly dated and uncomfortable seats, very poor beverage and food service, terrible seat positioning (right next to the back toilet, really?!) and overall a horrible decision. Air Canada Rouge has been my worst experience so far, and I would not suggest it to anyone.
RouteToronto to Berlin