Aeromexico

"Aeromexico is like those street vendors"

(Brazil)

Trip Verified | I bought a premium economy ticket (almost double the price of a common ticket) because I needed to dispatch a luggage. The website stated that 25kg is the maximum. As I have some special needs, my luggage weighted 24kg leaving Brazil, when I had no problem. I carefully control luggage weight, and at the end of the trip, I had 24,5kg. When I checked-in Cancún airport, I was told that 25kg is only allowed in domestic flights in Mexico, and for international flights the limit is 23kg (despite the site stating otherwise at the time of sale), and I would have to pay 100 USD for the extra 1,5kg in the CDMX-São Paulo leg of the trip. I did not pay this and had to take something out of the luggage and carry by hand it to the cabin. I think Aeromexico is like those street vendors in the south of Mexico trying to squeeze every little cash from tourists in a “smart move”.
RouteCancún to São Paulo via Mexico City
Date FlownNovember 2021

"check-in process was downright horrific"

Trip Verified | Our outbound flight from JFK to Mexico City was fine -- quick, easy boarding, separate queue for business class passengers, friendly staff, and very comfortable seats in the business cabin. The seats reclined fully to a flat bed (not really necessary for a daytime flight, but nice) and were very spacious. The return flight, however, was the worst business class experience I have ever had. There were many check-in lanes that said they were for SkyPriority passengers, but it seemed as if everyone on every flight was in that line, which took two hours to get us up to the desk and get our boarding pass. We were unable to check-in online (probably because of COVID verification requirements) and waited so long just to get a boarding pass -- we were not checking any bags) that we can within 5 minutes of missing our flight. At one point the check-in attendant said the problem was our fault because we came late -- but we were there more than two hours before our flight. The gate staff were very pleasant and handled the disgruntled crowds well, but the actual flight was disappointing. The seats were sub-par, uncomfortable and with no real footrest, and the staff, although very friendly and cheerful, were virtually absent most of the time. They didn't even respond to call buttons, and they kept the curtain closed during the entire flight so that anyone who wanted service (or to use the toilet, for that matter) had to pull it away and duck under it. I've never encountered cabin staff who kept themselves so isolated. It was a short flight, but memorable as deficient, and the check-in process was downright horrific. I'll avoid Aeromexico as much as I can in future.
AircraftBoeing 737-Max
RouteNew York to Mexico City
Date FlownNovember 2021

"wouldn’t refund or replace our ticket"

Not Verified | Aeromexico took our families money and wouldn’t refund or replace our tickets after we couldn’t fly to Mexico during the start of COVID. We were suppose to fly in April 2020 and Mexico had shut down it’s border and didn’t open for a long time. Any company that is not willing to understand the circumstances of COVID and simply not refunding or helping in replacing purchased flights is crooked and is not to be trusted.
RouteSeattle to Mexico
Date FlownNovember 2020

"Avoid if you can"

Trip Verified | The airline sucks, but most workers we interacted during the trip were trying to compensate it. Avoid if you can. Never ever have connection in MEX airport. We booked Aeromexico because it was the only flight with couple hours layover from SFO to LIM. The airline changed the flight schedule a few times and we eventually had 11 hours layover in the MEX airport. Aeromexico did not offer refund, but only voucher. Aeromexico customer service offered VIP lounge as a compensation, but in the MEX airport we were asked to pay for it. On our way back we had a horrible experience of waiting in line about TWO hours to pass MEX custom for connection stopover. There were thousands packed in the line. COVID social distance was totally ignored. That was a perfect place to spread COVID or any other decease. Very poor communication: 80% in-flight and boarding communication was in Spanish. Most of the staff in MEX did not speak English. The airline did not communicate COVID documents requirements before the flight. Our forms filled before flight were turned down. In-flight entertainment system was broken or misconfigured - the US movies did not have English subtitles.
RouteSan Francisco to Lima via Mexico City
Date FlownOctober 2021

" You never know when you arrive and if your belongings will follow"

Trip Verified | Worst travelling experience of my life. I booked a flight with them (only because options this year was limited). They cancelled it a week later and refused to refund me. So I had a voucher for my next flight but I could not apply it online. Had to spend hours on the phone to use it. On the flight day in Mexico City, the plane was going round on the tarmac. The captain announcing that they were waiting for the weather to clear up before taking off even though it was sunny. Then they parked the plane and asked 17 volunteers to get off because the plane was overloaded. By the time volunteers came forward, got off, with their baggage we were hours late all the while waiting in the plane. But that's not the worst. Once I finally arrived, my two pieces of luggage were missing and I was not the only one. So they threw them out along with the volunteers. One luggage was delivered to me a week later. The second one I never got back 3 weeks later. You never know when you arrive and if your belongings will follow. They have no luggage service (just one email address I wrote to multiple times along with their legal services) and never bother to answer. Nightmare. They treat customers like livestock.
RoutePuerto Vallarta to Mexico City via Montreal

"my baggage was lost"

Trip Verified | Upon arriving to Cancun, I was horrified to find out that my baggage was lost. I had paid $30 USD to check in this baggage, only to be disappointed. We had arrived very late, close to midnight. Waited and waited and could not find my baggage. Approached a staff, and they told me this happened all the time, they told me there were 2 more airlines that would arrive after us, and most likely my bags were mixed up and they promised to deliver that night. We had only 4 days to spend, after wasting one whole day (October 7th) getting from Houston to Cancun. Waited for someone to call me, at close to 3 a.m. I finally gave up. Next morning, I called Aeromexico and was given the run around, it was impossible to get a hold of someone who could tell me the status of my lost baggage. All my clothes, medication, snorkel gear was in that bag. We had an early excursion planned that day and had to cancel because I did not have all my clothing and gears. Facebook Chat staff was not courteous, Whatsapp them and it was pointless too, I could not get a hold of someone. Thankfully, one of the ladies at my hotel had a contact who worked at the airport, he gave me a Whatsapp contact and only then I was able to find out that my bag was found, but had no idea when they were able to deliver. We finally left for an excursion, and at around 2:00 p.m. on October 8th, they called to say they were going to deliver my bag. No sorry, no apology. To top it off, my son had a velcro patches of Texas Flag and U.S. flag, they were both missing. The velcro was really strong and it was impossible that it had fallen off by accident. I wanted to call to get my $30 checked in baggage refunded, but you could not imagine how hard it is. I am probably going to place a chargeback.
RouteHouston to Mexico City
Date FlownOctober 2021

"If you want to lose your money go ahead and book with this airline"

(Malta)

Trip Verified | I'm a European citizen who was planning a trip to the USA and Mexico. However, because of a travel ban imposed by the US government, I am not allowed to travel. My booking is a non-refundable one. However, I want to travel, but I am not allowed to. I explained the situation to Aeromexico, and requested a voucher, which was denied. It not my fault that I am not allowed to travel, but Aeromexico doesn't care about it. They've already got my money, so they don't really care about giving me a chance to use the service I already paid for, once the travel ban is lifted. The customer care service is of extremely low quality. If you want to lose your money go ahead and book with this airline. By seeing all those negative reviews, it seems apparent to me that Aeromexico has financial difficulties.
RouteMiami to Mexico City
Date FlownSeptember 2021

"can't make any changes online"

Trip Verified | I haven't travelled yet but I am dreading it already. You simply can't make any changes online and when you call them, their phone system is insane. They speak English but their lines are muffled and unclear, take forever to answer then charge you double the cost of the ticket online because you called a call centre, but they dont give you any option to do it online anyway. So antiquated. Be sure your flights you book are 100% what you need because making changes after the event is near on impossible without being robbed financially!
RouteSan Jose to Tijuana via Mexico City

"rude and unaccommodating"

Trip Verified | My partner and I had our first flight with Aeromexico from Amsterdam to Mexico city and then to Puerto Vallarta on 18-19/Aug. There were delays (30-60min.) and the cabin crew was rude and unaccommodating. We don't speak Spanish and it was obvious that they had a problem with that. Especially one lady who was really nice to all Spanish speaking passengers but when I asked her something I got just one word answer in a really impolite way. Another flight with Aeromexico was supposed to be from Puerto Vallarta to Mexico City and from there to Vancouver on 25/Aug. As the first flight got delay almost 3 hours we weren't able to catch our second flight. Lady at the PV airport was unhelpful, and after we approached her, she told us that we had just 2 options. Stay one more night and take the same route next day, or take the first flight to Mexico city and wait there for the second flight to Vancouver till next day. We've been told that it wasn't Aeromexico's fault therefore they won't provide us hotel or meals. After we got out, to our surprise our original flight to Vancouver just began boarding right at the next gate. We happily get there to realize that we can not get in. Why? Nobody knows again. At first they told us because of "weight and balance" after that because they didn't have available seats and so on. It was two of us and another 15-20 people including families with small children who weren't able to get in. We were trying to understand this situation but after 30 minutes no reasonable explanation came. We accepted vouchers for hotel and meals as at the airport in Mexico city miraculously could provide them. Next day after we got back to the airport we were trying to get confirmation about the flight delay as we supposed to be already in the work in that time but we were stuck in Mexico. Of course customer service at the airport was as bad as the lady at our first flight so we got nothing. Finally 50 minutes after our flight was scheduled we were finally boarding, still not sure if we can get in this time. We got in and after almost an hour we started rolling and captain is speaking to us. Unfortunately we had to have a stop in Tijuana to get fuel. In the end this flight had 3 hours delay (+24 hours). I never heard sorry or any kind of apology till this moment. One more thing, after we got vouchers for meals and hotel we've been told that we can catch Aeromexico shuttle in front of the T2 gate which take us to the hotel. We've been there for almost 30 min. and what we've seen was just shuttle for crew. At the hotel we've learned that we should have vouchers for taxi too but we didn't have them so we paid 2 fairs with taxi by ourselves. I would like to see my money for this last flight back but after I read many bad reviews about Aeromexico I think I'll never see them again but I'm more then sure that I will never ever fly again with Aeromexico.
RoutePuerto Vallarta to Vancouver via Mexico City
Date FlownAugust 2021

"both times we were late"

Not Verified | I had two flights with round trip and both times we were late. The first trip did not matter because Guadalajara was my first destination but return was crucial because I had another flight to take after landing in Salt Lake City. We did not even have an hour to board the next plane and to add insult to injury Delta Air Lines had departure was at 11:30 am and I arrive at the terminal at 11:27. Me and another person are left stranded today until 10:10 pm, unbelievable.
RouteGuadalajara to Salt Lake City