Aeromexico

"low cost airline at best"

Trip Verified | Aeromexico is, quite simply, as a flagship carrier, a downright embarrassment. Customer service is nil. The product is more like a low cost airline at best. To be avoided if you can.
RouteMontreal to Queretaro via Mexico
Date FlownNovember 2019

"I missed my departure flight"

Trip Verified | Cancun to Austin via Mexico City. Awful customer service and corrupt policies. I was told my round trip flight would not be cancelled even though I missed my departure flight. So I got a one way ticket to my destination and expected to use the return flight. No, they cancelled my trip. I will not recommend this to anyone nor use it in the future.
RouteCancun to Austin via Mexico City
Date FlownNovember 2019

"my next flight was cancelled"

Trip Verified | I found the experience with Aeromexico concerning enough to leave this review and to avoid the use of the airline in the future at all costs, including taking additional layovers to avoid this carrier should they be the most efficient route. The issue in question involves a flight from Puerto Vallarta to Mexico City and a roundtrip from there to Quito, Ecuador before a final flight to Seattle. After landing in Mexico City for the layover, my next flight was cancelled due to unrest in Quito. Aeromexico issued a travel alert saying that they would not be charging for fare differences or change fees to handle the matter. They also advised me at the airport that they would not be flying into Quito for 5 days. As I was in now stranded in Mexico City, I asked to be put on the next plane to Seattle. This was all transacted in Spanish, which I am not completely proficient in. I expressed concern about making sure I was securing the value of my flight, and they prompted me to call the 1-800 number for the Houston office when I returned to settle that matter. As their travel alert read, I still have the roundtrip value of the ticket from Mexico City to Quito available to book. I called the Houston office on my return to Seattle to be told that I had already agreed to an itinerary change and there was nothing that they could do. They referred me to the complaint department (email only) to handle the matter. After asking for the value of my round trip MXC-Quito segment of my flight to be rebooked, it took almost a full week and a second email to receive a ticket number from them and another five days (and another follow up email) to receive their curt response detailing my implicit forfeiture of my trip value when I agreed to fly back to Seattle from Mexico City part way through this interrupted trip. They also said that I was not on the same flight or cabin and that the value of my trip to Quito was used to cover the difference. I do not see how this could be the case as I paid to upgrade my seats on all four flights in this trip and was still in coach on the return segment to Seattle. I received no print out showing how the value was distributed. So I'm told both that I agreed to sacrifice the value of my ticket, but that loss was implicit. Nothing about the scenario was explicit except their travel alert online which I was in the bounds of, and thus their decision on this matter seems only to be made in a cost-benefit to themselves. I find this sort of service disingenuous. The worst part of their email was the final statement: "thank you for making Aeromexico the carrier of your choice." I WILL NOT CHOOSE AEROMEXICO IN THE FUTURE - likely choosing Avianca or any number of similar operators along similar routes. Although when first using this airline I enjoyed the service and availability of routes, the double-talk between their official travel alerts, and their email-only handling of complaints in a non-customer-centric fashion leaves a lot to be desired by this airline. So for American and English speaking travelers I will also say that email communications leading up to flights and the majority of airline staff are predominantly Spanish speaking, and that if you find yourself stranded away from home, you may find yourself accidentally forfeiting value you purchased with the airline, or at least being told so later.
RoutePuerto Vallarta to Quito via Mexico City
Date FlownOctober 2019

"sat on the tarmac for 30 minutes"

Trip Verified | We pushed back 30 after departure time and were never informed of why we were sitting for 30 minutes. During the flight, I asked one of the stewardesses and she didn't know anything. When we arrived at Mexico City we sat on the tarmac for 30 minutes and again, no announcement as to why we didn't pull up to the gate.
RouteSFO to MEX
Date FlownOctober 2019

"left the gate 1 hour late"

Trip Verified | Mexico City to San Francisco. The plane left the gate one hour after scheduled departure. Not once was any announcement made about the delay. There are too many commercials on the entertainment system. There was no way to fast forward or delete them. Pure greed on the part of the airline. I checked with the Aeromexico office in downtown Mexico City to see if my AMEX Gold Delta card gave me priority boarding and one checked bag free and was told yes to all. At the airport, they said no. My ticket was purchased on the Delta website and the flight was a Delta codeshare.
RouteMexico City to San Francisco
Date FlownOctober 2019

"completely misled by Aeromexico"

Not Verified | Cancun to Mexico City. Wooed by the promise of "more personal space, an exclusive in-flight menu, and preferential treatment", I chose to fly Aeromexico's business class on the popular Cancun-Mexico City route. Things started going downhill at check-in when I was told there was no lounge service, even though my terminal had a contract VIP lounge that could easily have been commissioned by Aeromexico. While it had been a very long time since I had flown business class with an airline that didn't offer a lounge service, I expected the on-board catering - which Aeromexico promised would be "premium hors d'oeuvres, drinks and in-flight menu" - would help make up for the disappointment. How wrong was I? I was appalled to learn that the nice lunch I was reasonably hoping for would consist of nuts and a selection of junk food like chocolate bars and potato crisps. After being completely misled by Aeromexico's advertising, I was left hungry by the time I arrived in Mexico City two and a half hours later and feeling as though I had been taken for a fool. If you're thinking of paying extra for Aeromexico's domestic business class offering, please avoid my mistake and don't bother.
RouteCancun to Mexico City
Date FlownOctober 2019

"Aeromexico had moved our seats"

Not Verified | As most of you already know, AeroMexico partners with Delta. So, we booked our trip to Mexico through Delta Vacations (that part went perfectly, as usual). We not only booked our flights but we chose to go with Aeromexico on the way back. Partially because it went through Mexico City and we had an overnight stay and it was an airline we had not flown with before. To put things in perspective, we have flown with several other Delta partners in the past and have had zero issues (matter of fact, they were great! KLM, Air France, etc.). So, we thought that this would be the same type of experience and of course a new adventure. We were so incredibly wrong! We booked our flights in mid-June for the beginning of October and our seating assignments and everything were set to go (they were first class seats). Two days before our flight we checked both Aeromexico and Delta and the Delta seating arrangement was correct (nothing had changed) but Aeromexico had moved our seats (on both flights) to the very front of the plane, which we do not like because there is no place to put your hand carry (personal) bags so you have to put them above. Since Aeromexico was for a trip back we were told after spending over an hour on the phone that they would not change our seats until 24 to 48 hours before. This was interesting to us because they had already changed our seating on both flights to the front of the plane (without any warning). From what we understand after speaking with our Delta representative (because Aeromexico was almost impossible to get in touch with) this had been the second change they made to our seating without advising us or even giving us the option to choose. So now sitting in Cancun, Mexico (wasting more of our vacation) 24 to 48 hours before our flight back, we checked Aeromexico. To our great surprise, they had not only moved us again but this time out of first class and into the main cabin, which would be fine if that’s what we had paid for. So again (while on vacation), we get on the phone and waste our time with Aeromexico. Then after no resolution or better said waiting on the phone (eternal hold). We called Delta again, this call took an hour and a half and the Delta Representative was told by Aeromexico (the first time he called) that they would change us to a different flight. Then, after 15 minutes of no changes the Delta representative called back and he was told that not only would they not change our flights but if we wanted our old seats back or a different flight that we would have to pay. Of course, we refused (Who in their right mind would hand over more money?). We asked the Delta representative what his response was to them and he said that he took it to their management and they also refused saying the same thing. What it appeared to us is that Aeromexico was trying to upcharge us for services we already purchased. This should be brought up to the Aeromexico corporate headquarters, and used as training and a teaching tool on how to not treat your customer. Because we fly so much with Delta and because we think they’re just a better airline, the Delta Vacations representative took us off of the Aeromexico flights and found us flights home on Delta (for no additional cost and the same day!). We would not and could not recommend Aeromexico to anyone at any time for anything. Moreover, we are actually shocked that they remain in business with these types of unethical practices and behaviors.
RouteCancun to San Antonio
Date FlownOctober 2019

"I'd certainly fly them again"

Trip Verified | London to Tuxtla Guitierrez via Mexico City earlier this year. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised by Aeromexico, although my trip did not get off to the best start as their booking system is atrocious. Specifically, when booking multi-city trips (rather than a direct return), the website does not give you a choice of different economy fare classes, but just the one "tourist class" option. When clicking through to the payment page, the website tells you that one checked bag is included in the fare. However, once payment was made, the ticket sent to me said no bag was included! A check of the fare class rules confirmed this was correct, but the booking page was highly misleading. I then had to pay GBP 50 each way extra to check a bag. Not the end of the world given how cheap the original fare was, but this was poor for a supposedly professional company. I complained about this to the cheery check-in agent, who apologised but merely replied "sorry, the website is terrible, isn't it?" Not good enough! However, things picked up from there. The flight out was only 1/3 full in economy, so almost everyone had a row to themselves. I could stretch out across 3 seats and get a proper night's sleep. Flight was on time, crew were friendly and food was OK if not great. IFE had good, up to date film options on a decent screen. One of the best economy flights I have had - only complaint was a funny smell that appeared in the cabin from time to time. On the return leg, check in and security at Tuxtla was very efficient - it's a tiny airport. Domestic leg on an E195 was uneventful, although a longer flight than planned due to very high levels of traffic at MEX. Connection at MEX was seamless as there are no exit checks/passport control for domestic-international connections in Mexico. MEX terminal 2 is architecturally pretty cool and not a bad place to spend a couple of hours. Return flight to London was unfortunately completely full with no spare seats, so not as pleasant as the outward leg. There was also a delay of around an hour and a half after boarding whilst a technical problem was fixed, but captain kept us well informed and crew were friendly once more. Once in the air, food service was again OK and despite the busy flight I could get some sleep (the Boeing 787 is in my opinion one of the best planes to fly long haul, along with the A350, due to the better pressurisation/lighting and quieter cabin). The one annoying thing about this flight was the lack if responsiveness of the IFE screen. It kept trying to call an attendant instead of begin a film, or turn the reading light on instead of the flight map .. highly bizarre and irritating! So overall, I'd say Aeromexico were pretty decent and I'd certainly fly them again (especially at the price I paid), but there are certainly a few areas for improvement.
RouteLondon to Tuxtla Guitierrez via Mexico City
Date FlownMay 2019

"they don't respond to their email"

(Mexico)

Trip Verified | Cancun to Havana. I have tried to make contact with this business multiple times over the last month. This airline does not offer phone support other than for very basic assistance like sales. Everything else must be through email. However, my issue is they don't respond to their email. I asked for a tax to be refunded that I was never supposed to be charged as I was exempt from this tax, as well as a refund for a phone booking fee that I was not notified about until after the charge was completed. They responded to me that ¨everyone is notified about the phone charge, and that the tax would not be refunded¨. I replied on August 28th clarifying which tax I was referring to, I also asked them to review the call recording as they would hear that I inquired about the phone fee to be refunded while I was on the phone with the representative. The sales agent did not mention the fee. I inquired with him about the fee after seeing it on the receipt in my email. He told me the only way to receive a refund was to email the complaints department. This was during the sale, not in another interaction. Furthermore, I would have never made a phone reservation but their online booking system was having an issue and the error message told me I needed to call to complete the reservation. For this reason alone they should have refunded me that fee. However, I received no response to this email. I emailed again September 17th, to let them know that I was injured in an accident and would not be able to make the flight. I emailed them a medical certificate, and photos of my injuries, and I requested that they provide either a refund or a credit to be used on a future flight. They couldn't even be bothered to reply with a ¨no¨. Just no response at all. I later realized that my Visa Infinite card that I made the payment on came with trip insurance, so I filed a claim with my insurance company. My insurance company requested a letter from the airline stating that the trip was canceled. The airline did send this. However, after I submitted the letter to my insurance, my insurance company requested that the letter also include additional details. I requested a revision to the letter on September 23rd. However, once again, I received no response. Despite being routinely ignored by this business the only thing I am asking for is a document confirming 1. the cancellation of the flight, 2. the amounts reimbursed and the fines charged OR indicating that there will be no refund. Also, an apology for simply ignoring almost every communication with them would also be nice.
RouteCancun to Havana
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"Customer service is a complete joke"

Trip Verified | London Heathrow to Bogota via Mexico City with Aeromexico. Customer service is a complete joke. they just care about money and it is absolutely no good value for money. Please avoid it. Sometimes cheap tickets end up being more expensive and spoiling your trip.
RouteLondon Heathrow to Bogota via Mexico City