Avianca Ecuador

"Absolutely horrible experience"

New York JFK to Quito via Bogota. Absolutely horrible experience. I am 72 years old. I had a nose bleed due to dry air and sensitive sinuses a little while after boarding. I asked for a tissue and was handed a bit of toilet paper. It wasn't enough so I asked for more. I was given a bit more toilet paper. I later asked for water and was told that there was nothing but cola available. I asked if there was hot tea and was told rudely that there is only coffee. It doesn't make any sense for there not to be water on a flight. On top of everything, one of my checked bags was opened and 5 articles of clothing were missing. I flew JFK to Quito.
RouteNew York JFK to Quito via Bogota
Date FlownDecember 2019

"Worst customer service"

(Colombia)

Trip Verified | Quito to Baltra. Flight was cancelled less than a week probably because not enough passengers. I was then offered a new flight with an ungodly hour with a departure time of 06:45 and with an added stopover in Guayaquil. The worst part of it was calling customer service. It took them literally 2 hours on the phone to find an explanation for the cancellation with by the way was never clear. At some point, the customer representative told me I was entitled to a compensation in the form of a class upgrade to finally deny it after 2 wasted hours on the phone. By all means use an alternative airline. Worst customer service.
RouteQuito to Baltra
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"consistently delayed"

Trip Verified | Medellin to Curacao via Bogota. Horrible experience with Avianca Ecuador! Flight from Curacao to Bogota was delayed by 1+ hour due to "Operational difficulties" causing us to miss our connecting flight from Bogota to Medellin. In this case Avianca Colombia was very helpful in adding us to another flight (next day departure) and getting us a hotel for the night. Return flight from Bogota to Curacao was again with Avianca Ecuador and the flight was delayed due to "Operational difficulties", this time for 4.5 hours! I think, it is unacceptable that a big airline like Avianca, which is a Star Alliance member to be having long delays due to "Operational difficulties". There are way bigger airlines that are doing a much better job than this. I checked on Flightradar and you can see that Avianca flights on this route Curacao-Bogota, Bogota-Curacao are consistently delayed by 1-4 hours. It is just unacceptable!
RouteMedellin to Curacao via Bogota
Date FlownJune 2018

"refused to take any responsibility"

Manta to Quito with Avianca Ecuador. Horrible experience! Our flight was delayed by 7 hours without any explanation. We missed all our connecting flights and Avianca refused to take any responsibility for our problems. We were forced to pay for 2 nights in a hotel + new tickets fees out of our own pocket. I have never seen such a lack of care and respect for customers, will definitely file a complaint once we get home. Never again!
RouteMEC to UIO
Date FlownApril 2016

"absolutely terrible service"

Verified Review | Worst flight experience to date. We booked a 7.15am flight with Avianca Ecuador from Quito to Manta which was delayed at the gate by one hour. After an hour and a half, no word was given about the status other than the plane left (without passengers). As angry passengers congregated at the gate, the agents informed everyone to return at 12 for a 1.30 flight. We did so, yet did not see agents until 2.30. No word about our flight or when it would depart. Despite waking up at 4.30am to arrive for such an early flight, and still waiting at 3pm, my husband and I have now lost a day of a 3 day weekend with nothing other than a $20 voucher which we cannot use online and do not anticipate ever using. Apparently TAME had a 7.05 flight the same day and it departed and arrived without issue. Absolutely terrible service.
RouteUIO to MEC
Date FlownApril 2016

Avianca Ecuador customer review

I was flying Medellin-Bogota, Bogota-San Jose, flights AV 9737 and AV 690, and without receiving any type of communication (cell ph, e-mail, text message) when I got to the airport I was informed that the flight was cancelled because El Dorado airport in Bogota was closed (independence day celebration). They lied when they said that the airport was closed because 5-10 minutes after the scheduled departure time for my flight, two flights, one from Avianca and the other from LAN, flew from Medellin to Bogota. My itinerary was re-routed through Bogota, San Salvador and finally to San Jose, Costa Rica arriving there around 10 pm. When I mentioned that I had to arrive early because I had a meeting and that they should get a ticket for me with Copa, through Panama, they said that they were not going to do it. Not much explanation given to me. When I complained to the supervisor about the situation, she asked me if I had my Yellow Fever vaccination certificate available. I had already checked in and no one from Avianca asked me for this vaccine, but she was the only one that asked me this question. The idea was to punish me for complaining and for trying to get a ticket with Copa. It looks like they are not used to passengers complaining about the service. Fortunately I had my vaccination certificate and was able to take the plane. Another thing that happened to me that demonstrates how disorganized Avianca is, was that when I made a route change two days before taking the flight, Avianca charged me for the departure fee from Colombia (I’m a US citizen), even though I didn’t have to pay for it. They return the money at the airport before taking the flight. In spite of flying for more than 25 years to Latin America and accumulating more than 3 million miles, I haven’t traveled with Avianca extensively. After this experience I’ll do my best not to use this airline again. I typically don’t write reviews on airline services, but I think that the treatment that I received was so outrageous that I have to share this experience with the public.
RouteMedellin to San Jose via Bogota
Date FlownJuly 2015

Avianca Ecuador customer review

We flew from GYE to Galapagos and back. The flights were very enjoyable with no nonsense good polite service and excellent modern aircraft.

Avianca Ecuador customer review

I've taken several flights on Aerogal from Bogota to Quito in the past year. It's an Avianca led operation and feels similar to the (good) Avianca experience. Food and drink for a short flight in 'C' is impressive. Increasingly though service at the new Quito airport is showing a drop in quality in particular at Check-In. Staff there are unhelpful. It's modern Airbus equipment and a professional outfit.

Avianca Ecuador customer review

Redeye flight JFK to Guayaquil return. Booked 6 months in advance fare about $180 cheaper than LAN Ecuador. Two weeks before the flight a rep informed me that on my return I was switched to an Avianca flight that would stop in Bogota for 3 hrs. The rep insisted the change had to be made because the only direct flight that day was overbooked. After speaking to a manager he apologized and said my direct return flight was intact. If you don't stand your ground they are apt to mess up your schedule and you might be in for a rude surprise at the airport. They have only one 767 flying from NY to Ecuador so be careful and keep checking n your booking.

Avianca Ecuador customer review

Quito to Medellin Business Class A320. We were travelling on an Avianca/Taca ticket but the flight was operated by Aerogal. Check-in was efficient although in Quito only opens 2 hours before the flight. We used the VIP lounge in UIO basic selection of snacks and drinks but comfortable seats. Flight was 15 mins late boarding. Business Class seats are large recliners with leg supports and very good IFE offering for short haul. A hot meal was served with a large bar selection. The only disappointment was the attitude and service onboard. Everything was a hassle for FA's. Landed on time and a fairly simple connection process to the domestic Avianca flight.