Aeroflot Russian Airlines

"you have to pay for luggage"

Trip Verified | Gatwick to St. Petersburg. After years of having an extremely lax baggage policy, where they didn’t charge anything to check in the first bag, let excess kilos float through without comment, and never paid any attention to cabin bags, Aeroflot has done a complete U-turn. Now you have to pay for luggage in the hold (£36 per item) and they are applying zero tolerance for a few grams over and weighing hand-baggage, applying limits to the letter. My excess on the same amount of luggage I’ve travelled with for years came to £129, almost doubling the price of my ticket. It was extracted by the service staff, at times barely suppressing smiles. The baggage policy – or lack of one - was among the very few positives. I’ll be thinking long and hard when booking a flight to Russia next time.
RouteGatwick to St. Petersburg
Date FlownMay 2019

"Aeroflot client support is useless and helpless"

Trip Verified | My first flight in the itinerary AMS-SVO was delayed by 1 h due a malfunctioning aircraft (as I was told), so I missed in SVO my connection to ULN and was re-routed via PEK with Aeroflot SVO-PEC and Air China PEK-ULN. The flight SVO-PEK was 1 h late in PEK as well, and I was put in Beijing in a hotel for 24 h to wait for the next Air China flight. My visit to ULN was planned as 2 days long, so I requested an Aeroflot agent to send me back to AMS, as my trip had lost its purpose. The Aeroflot Agent in Beijing spoke very poor English, and he ignored my request without a reason provided, but recommended to call to Moscow during office hours in Moscow (it was 3 am in Moscow at the time of this conversation) and discuss this with people from central office. As long as it would be too late then, and because in my experience Aeroflot client support is useless and helpless, I went to the hotel (the hotel was very poor and in a very strange location, btw). Re. inflight experience. All the Aeroflot long haul cabins I was in (A330 for AMS-SVO and B777 for SVO-PEK) were tired, did not look very clean and chairs were not the best. In contrast, both B737 for ULN-SVO and A321 for SVO-AMS were brand new and clean. Meals were very decent on AMS-SVO-AMS, decent on ULN-SVO and very unimpressive on SVO-PEK, especially a weird plastic-packed cooky before the landing that was (I suspect) designed as a breakfast. In-flight entertainment systems were broken or not very responsive both in A330 and B777. Flight attendants are trying their best to be nice, but did not act very professionally.
AircraftA330 / Boeing 777 / Boeing 737 / A321
RouteAmsterdam to Ulaanbaatar via Moscow SVO
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"hard working crew"

(Sweden)

Not Verified | Stockholm to Tokyo via Moscow. Great experience with hard working crew and great punctuality. Many people say Aeroflot are a fraud and that it’s a bad airline but these people are totally wrong since they have changed totally from their past and now it probably is the world’s most underrated airline company. The crew was amazingly polite and kind but the one of the only issues was the cabin temperature was too hot on the way home (Tokyo-Moscow) but at least they listened and did what they could to make it better unlike many other companies who would have totally ignored it. The food wasn’t the best either especially when the plane originated from Moscow but from Japan it was way way better. I would definitely recommend Aeroflot and would love to fly again with Aeroflot in the future!!
AircraftBoeing 737/777/A320
RouteStockholm to Tokyo via Moscow
Date FlownApril 2019

"treated me very unfriendly"

Trip Verified | Malé to Zurich via Moscow and missed my connection flight. We arrived just 40 minutes late at Moscow where I was supposed to get my connection flight to Zurich. Usually staff will help you if there is little time to reach the next flight which you booked together as one ticket with the same airline. There was two counters with staff, apart from that, no one to find. By the time I could make someone talking to me, my flight already left and they didnt care about it and I was stuck with other passengers in the transfer area. They left me without information and a little food voucher I couldnt even afford proper food with. I started running around the airport, trying to find someone who could give me any information or at least a place to sleep. I waited for more than 5 hours at the airport until I managed to get information. I had to wait for 15 hours.
RouteMalé to Zurich via Moscow
Date FlownMay 2019

"8 days for my bags to arrive"

Trip Verified | I flew from IAD to TLV via SVO on April 15th, arriving on April 16th. 2 out of the 4 bags I checked didn't make it (along with many other bags from other passengers that were all making claims at the same time that I was. It took 8 days to finally get my bags (my trip was only 12 days long). During those 8 days I sent emails, faxes and called the airline and lost baggage service (Q.A.S) multiple times and never received any responses. The only reply I got from them was due to a Facebook message I sent, which explained I need to contact the airline directly, not through their FB page. On April 24th I decided to go to the airport and look for my bags myself. They claimed my bags were not there, but I begged to check on my own and was finally allowed. Well, they were sitting right there in their storage room! It seems that when the bags finally made it on a flight, they had new tags put on - meaning the airline would have never found my bags, since they were searching for my old tag number. When no one claimed the bags, instead of searching their system to look for my claim, they issued a new claim to the case even though my name was on the baggage tag! Now, I flew back the same route arriving 4 days ago (TLV, SVO, IAD) and 3 of my 5 bags checked are missing! They claim it was due to a short stopover, but I had a 14 hour stopover! It is going to take 8 days for my bags to arrive as Aerolflot only has 1 flight a week that flies this route.
RouteWashington to Moscow via Tel Aviv

"They lost my luggage"

(Austria)

Trip Verified | Hong Kong to Moscow. Old Boeing 777 (5 years old), seats are super tight, and the choice of movies available is quite limited. Food: lowest quality I have seen on a plane. They lost my luggage - what can happen - however, to receive it back I received phone calls at night (11.30pm).
RouteHong Kong to Moscow

"food was terrible"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | Male to Moscow. The food was terrible for me, the blanket looked used and dirty. It was possible to use the entertainment only a lot of time after the take of and they give you the headphones later. The dinner was served a lot of time after the departure in and they take so much time to bring you the drinks that you already have finished to eat.
RouteMale to Moscow
Date FlownApril 2019

"Seats hard .. leg space good"

Trip Verified | Delhi to Moscow. Flight left on time and reached on time. Seats hard but leg space good. Inflight entertainment was problematic to operate. Press something and something else comes up on the screen. No free alcohol served on this flight. Food served after an hour and a half after take off and meant to be breakfast was terrible and small portions of food. Next food an hour and a half before arrival. A small snack box. I will carry my own food with me from Moscow back to Delhi. Worse than a low cost airline.
RouteDelhi to Moscow
Date FlownApril 2019

"lead to a 14 hour delay"

Trip Verified | Phuket to Amsterdam via Moscow. I had chosen a day flight with a 1H20 connection in Moscow. But after online check-in i noticed the scheduled departure time had changed which eventually lead to a 14 hour delay. Ticket was booked 5 months in advance. Even as member of their frequent flyer program, I wasn't notified and there was no way for me knowing of this change until it was to late.
RoutePhuket to Amsterdam via Moscow
Date FlownMarch 2019

"Transfer the worst experience"

(Israel)

Trip Verified | Tel Aviv to Shanghai via Moscow in Business, returning in Comfort. Obviously SU is cutting corners to save money, but with her premium passengers? Not a great idea. On the flight TLV SVO, I was with my son who I ordered child meal for. They served him with a child meal from economy (confirmed by flight manager) who apologized, I guess they don't carry such a special meal Child meal Business class. To my request to at least give him an appetizer from the Business menu the answer was 'niet'. No bottles of water distributed, newspapers only in Russian offered in English by a polite flight attendant. The crew were no where to be seen but sitting in their galleys eating and chatting. Transfer to our PVG flight was probably the worst experience as a Business passenger. Hundreds of transfer passengers pushing and shoving to pass a passport inspection point that was manned by 1 person. No Sky Priority Line, my 14 yo son was almost crushed by a group of very aggressive pushy passenger. Fast Track maybe is the term to introduce to Moscow Airport. We barely made it to our connection flight to PVG. This flight was ordinary, we refused the child Meal. I wrote a complaint to SU, but all you get is an automatic apology and a 'thank you for your feedback'. The return flights were in Comfort class, nothing special to report. Meals with no drink service, but I must admitted their inflight crews are the only good thing about Aeroflot.
AircraftA330-200 / Boeing 777-300ER