Aer Lingus

"haven’t got a clue where my baggage is"

Trip Verified | Seattle to Edinburgh via Dublin. Flight was delayed for 4 hours. Baggage was lost and no one took any responsibility. Instead, they suggested I speak with their contractor, Menzies. I was on hold for 20 minutes and when I asked to speak to a supervisor the agent hung up. After 4 days and multiple phone calls they still haven’t got a clue where my baggage is and care little to find out. They’d rather just pay the lost luggage fee.
RouteSeattle to Edinburgh via Dublin
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"did not reply to my claim for refund"

Trip Verified | Boston to Faro via Dublin. Aer lingus gave me the worst travel experience I've ever seen in over 30 years of frequent flying. tldr: Last minute flight cancellation, no reroute options, rude and slow customer service and non transparent and misguiding compensation and refund policy. Details: I booked a flight from Seattle to Faro connecting in Boston and Dublin to attend a wedding. The flight was supposed to land in Terminal 2 at 7 AM which as per the Irish department of justice website will not require entry into Ireland. "Unless your arrival flight and onward connecting flight is in Terminal 2 between the hours of 0400 and 1600, you will need to go landside to make your onward connecting flight". First, my initial flight from Seattle was cancelled hours before departure. I accidentally checked my email before heading to the airport and found the notification. I called their customer support and was kept on hold for 90 mins, the customer service agent was rude and offered a reroute that arrives 2 days after my initial arrival date, which meant I will miss the main purpose of the trip and attend the wedding I am supposed to. When I asked him for an earlier option, he placed me on hold again and phone was disconnected after a min. I called again and waiting around 60 mins on hold again before I was automatically disconnected again. I called for a third time and finally got to an agent after almost 80 mins. She gave me another ticket that exchanged my 12 hour flight for a 24 hour flight with 10 hour wait in Boston. I accepted the offer since I had no other choice. Second: I did fly to Boston through a JetBlue flight and the agent did check me in and routed my luggage directly to Faro airport. I arrived in Boston and waited the 10 hours during which I checked in again with an aer lingus agent who checked my passport and gave me a boarding pass and explicitly marked "Visa OK" on it after asking me a number of time where my final destination is. At the gate, the agent asked all passengers to check in at the desk to confirm luggage. I did and he checked my passport and issued me a new boarding pass . An hour later, I was not allowed to board to the plane by the aer lingus agent as I don't have a transit visa to Dublin. I spent the next hours running from Jetblue agents to Aer lingus agents who exchanged blame in a rude and humiliating manner. Even calling Aer lingus support line didn't help. Eventually they offered to return me back to Seattle using my $1360 ticket. As a result, I missed my vacation and didn't attend my best friend's wedding, I lost the $1360 ticket and $2000 of hotel reservations, car rentals and other arrangements After almost one week, Aer lingus did not reply to my claim for refund or compensation, although the regulations mentioned on their website explicitly mention my right for compensation in case of one side cancellation.
RouteBoston to Faro via Dublin
Date FlownAugust 2019

"didn't let me on board"

Trip Verified | Amsterdam to Cork. Although there was a huge queue for the passport control at Amsterdam Airport and had to spend 45 minutes in security lines, I managed to get to the gate 15 minutes before departure time, but the assistant didn't let me on board, as the door was already closed. They ruined my birthday weekend with my family. They refuse to give any refund, the customer service is not available during weekends and during weekdays after 20 minutes waiting time they hang up if they receive a complaint.
RouteAmsterdam to Cork

"My luggage was lost"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Edinburgh via Dublin. Absolutely terrible customer service. My luggage was lost by Aer Lingus on 16/8/19 on the flight from Los Angeles to Edinburgh and despite chasing them up almost everyday I still do not have my luggage 11 days later! I keep getting promised a call back and nothing happens. Do not use them.
RouteLos Angeles to Edinburgh via Dublin
Date FlownAugust 2019

"One of the best airlines"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | Dublin to Lisbon. One of the best airlines I had the pleasure to fly with. Everything is well organized, with a good attitude and it actually functions similar to its flag country. In this company cabin crew matures well and become more professional and better hostesses. Well done.
RouteDublin to Lisbon
Date FlownAugust 2019

"a most pleasant experience"

Trip Verified | Dublin to Bologna. I shall start by saying that I booked the flight many months ahead of my planned holiday. I booked with a travel agency and because of this Aer Lingus would not let me access their site to reserve a seat of my choice. Due to a medical issue I like an aisle seat. Eventually the Aer Lingus call centre let me pay for a seat. I was able to check-in online a few days before departure. The bag drop in Dublin was efficient and worked well. At present, Dublin is undergoing expansion and building work. I found myself placed on a transfer bus from one building to another and then entered what looked like an annex at the far end of the airport to stand number 35. So because of this passengers for this flight formed two sets of queues consecutively. One then had to walk towards the aircraft and passengers were left waiting in an exposed area for almost 15 mins. I did not see any assistance for elderly people, the frail or disabled people. The cabin crew were friendly, they made sure they presented the safety routine with a sense of purpose. The interior of the cabin was spotlessly clean. During this flight drinks and snacks were available for purchase. It was nice to see a native Italian speaker on the crew as most of the passengers were Italian people. The flight was just over 2 hours. During this time the captain only spoke twice and on both occasions he spoke so rapidly nobody could understand a word he said! There was no route map and the inflight magazine was ripped and tattered. The lavatory was clean. I noted that 2 of the cabin crew sat at the back of the flight for the duration of the journey and did little and allowed their colleagues to do all of the work. Disembarkation was quick and efficient. This direct flight is very convenient. There is a cheaper alternative with another airline. However. Aer Lingus has a more convenient departure time and by buying well in advance the price was reasonable for high season travel. Overall a rather reasonable experience. My concern though was the experience in Dublin airport and the lack of visible help for mobility impaired passengers. With all the building work going on better signage is needed too. A nice touch quite a few passengers commented on was the use of the Irish language. This is important in promoting Irish culture and heritage by the Irish national carrier. The aircraft used was an A320 and it was in the lovely dark green Aer Lingus colours rather than the new cut-back livery. I recommend Aer Lingus for their friendly and hardworking staff but with the proviso that they improve their communication in the airport. Overall it was a most pleasant experience.
RouteDublin to Bologna
Date FlownAugust 2019

"big suitcase went missing"

Trip Verified | We flyed from Tenerife to Dublin on the 06/08/2019. We arrived to Dublin on the 07/08 at 12:30am. Our big suitcase went missing. Now is 72 hours and still nothing! We filled Up the form on the airport with a very rude lady from aer lingus. I calling them every day since,but nothing. I called Tenerife airport and they confirmed that my bag leave Tenerife with me on the aircraft heading to Dublin. What else I Can do? Unprofessional service on the ground and aircraft as well.
RouteTenerife to Dublin
Date FlownAugust 2019

"Aer Lingus lost our baggage"

Trip Verified | Aer Lingus lost our baggage on a flight from Dublin to Edinburgh 7 days ago. We did everything we were asked. We gave the address to the hotel where we were staying but the baggage never arrived. We requested that the baggage be sent to Glasgow Airport and held until Friday August 2nd Where we would be flying out of next and Aer Lingus representative agreed to do so and we have a confirmation. Once we arrived in to Glasgow Airport we were told the baggage was sent back to Edinburgh for some unknown reason. We have traveled without personal belongings for 7 days because the team has lied to us and been unprofessional. After many phone calls, emails, and claims on their website we still are unsure where the baggage is or if we will ever see it again. We have requested that the baggage be mailed to our home to which they agreed. As of this morning however they can no longer locate our baggage. This is bad communication, bad service, and overall unprofessionalism.
RouteDublin to Edinburgh
Date FlownJuly 2019

"our flight was cancelled"

Trip Verified | Gatwick to Knock. Flight number EI 911 on the 10th july at 17.25. Arrived at Gatwick at 15.00 pm checked in. Sitting on plane at 17.00 to be told there was problem with air traffic computer and we could be waiting a while so at 19.00 we were told our flight was cancelled. We were told to collect our luggage and go to check in desk to arrange our flight and to sort out accommodation. Arrived at check in desk behind a very long que which I stood on for over 2 hours to get to the top and be told there is no seats available to knock until Saturday 13th. I could not wait an extra 3 nights took a flight to Dublin which was also delayed for 2hours. The time was now 22.00 and we were not offered as much as a bottle of water. No Aer Lingus ground staff were to be seen. Sat on flight to Dublin for 1hour 30min before flight took off. Arrived in Dublin at 02.00 the following morning to be told there was a bus to take us to Knock which is a 3 hour 30min drive away. I was not getting a bus at that hour as I was exhausted and would not have been able to get to my home from knock at that hour so got a taxi to my friend and the next day had to get a bus to knock so I arrived in knock at 22.35 on the 11th 28 hours after I should have arrived at knock airport. I have tried to get compensation and they have told me I will not get anything as I got the flight to Dublin however they will refund me the 28.60 I paid for a taxi but not my bus. I should have been offered something for all the inconvenience.
RouteGatwick to Knock
Date FlownJuly 2019

"a very positive experience"

Trip Verified | Bilbao to Dublin. Very reasonable fare at €84 for Summer. Full flight but cabin baggage dimensions seemingly not an issue as none were checked. Plenty of overhead space despite a full capacity flight. Passport check (non-Schengen) lead directly to gate and due to a long line here boarding was therefore immediate. Gate staff were warm & friendly. Flight crew were courteous, smiling & friendly. Spotted one particular cabin crew doing her utmost to reseat a female passenger who was separated from her group. Flight departed on time and we had regular & very precise routing info from the cockpit as we flew to Dublin. Very informative. Arrived 15m ahead of schedule though we had a short delay to stand as “gate” area was occupied by outbound flight. This was the first time ever arriving into Dublin & having to be transported to the main T2 building by bus. Though this is an airport capacity issue more than Aer Lingus’. Overall, a very positive experience and look forward to flying with them again.
RouteBilbao to Dublin