Aer Lingus

"shocked at his attitude"

Trip Verified | Dublin to Gatwick. I have a shoulder injury and find it difficult to put even a lightweight bag up into the overhead locker. I asked a young male cabin crew member to assist me and he refused. Furthermore he told be he had a back problems which I am surprised he shared and in an "I dont want to help you" way. I responded - Ok I will wait for assistance and he just walked away. Another passenger when asked kindly helped me. I was shocked at his attitude to customer service and lack of concern or interest. I will not be choosing this airline again.
RouteDublin to Gatwick
Date FlownNovember 2018

"I was very disappointed in them"

Trip Verified | Flew Dublin to Malaga. This was my first time flying Aer Lingus, and I was very disappointed in them. They don’t even offer complimentary water during the flight, I can understand paying for drinks alcoholic or non-alcoholic, and food but water, a necessity to life. We all know flying dehydrates you so not to offer free water, well I don’t think much of this airline. I am a world frequent traveler and never have I seen this.
RouteDublin to Malaga
Date FlownNovember 2018

"a terrible disappointment"

Trip Verified | Berlin to Toronto via Dublin. What a terrible disappointment. The layover in Dublin was deliberately scheduled so as to make it impossible to get to the connecting flight in time, given the way shuttle buses and passport control operate there. The only reason I (and many other passengers) didn't miss our connecting flight was that an airport staff member escorted us past the regular line. Then Aer Lingus lost my bag. I won't even go into the long bureaucratic back-and-forth I had to engage in to get it. Most importantly, I was informed at the airport that I could buy some necessities and Aer Lingus would reimburse me. I did (spending a mere 35 dollars on clothes and a toiletries) and submitted my reimbursement claim through their website. They acknowledged receipt and said they would transfer reimburse me. That was over three months ago. The only message I from them since then, despite repeated attempts to contact them, was that they supposedly couldn't transfer the money to my Canadian bank account. (I live in Germany and don't have a Canadian bank account. I have indicated my account details in ev ery communication.) Since then, they have not responded to any of my messages, or transferred the money. I booked a flight with a BA number and didn't know it would be operated by Aer Lingus at first. From now I will make sure never to fly with them again.
RouteBerlin to Toronto via Dublin
Date FlownJuly 2018

"crew tired and disinterested"

Trip Verified | Dublin to Heathrow. Firstly, I booked my ticket via a travel agent and later found out the price I paid the agency was not for all I needed. I had to use the Aer Lingus website and then pay extra online for my luggage and preferred seat. I was not at all impressed with this side of things. I am a frequent flyer with 2 major airlines both of whom are supposedly partners of Aer Lingus. Whenever I have used EI on this route I do not receive my frequent flyer points and this is a major cause for me to not use them in the future. I was able to check-in online in advance of the flight. Bag drop was efficient but there were no uniformed staff around to help at all. There were elderly people and a non-English speaking family struggling to use the automated bag drop. I assisted 2 elderly people. This is not good enough. Boarding was not well organised at all and no announcement was made with regards to making a queue and / or the boarding order. Passengers were allowed far too much hand luggage and there was no consistency in how this was managed alas. The cabin crew failed to assist an older lady with her bag with regards to accessing an overhead locker. Announcements from the captain were robotic and the crew seemed to be rather tired and disinterested. I had one empty seat next to me and an otherwise very full flight and the window seat was occupied by a passenger clearly under the influence of alcohol. To my astonishment the cabin crew sold this person more alcohol during the flight! Landing was efficient and disembarkation slow and chaotic as luggage had been dispersed all over the plane by passengers with too much luggage. I am not at all pleased with Aer Lingus on this occasion and think they should be far more diligent and responsible than was the case on this occasion. I shall add that the hidden prices and inability of this airline to process my frequent flyer programme have put me off booking my next trip with them. A once proud national carrier should do better.
RouteDublin to London
Date FlownOctober 2018

"baggage not loaded on to my flight"

Trip Verified | Flew on the Aer Lingus flight EI37 from Heathrow to Belfast. Boarding in orderly as was the service onboard. We were a little delayed in leaving London due to ATC and landed on Belfast just before 21:00pm. Can't say too much about Aer Lingus other that you get what you pay for. However, for the 2nd time in just over 6 weeks I again was left in Belfast without my baggage as it was not loaded on to my flight. I went to the lost Baggage counter and spoke with a lady who was totally disinterested in my plight and mechanically went through the process of filling out the forms. There is no one from Aer Lingus at the airport that you can speak with and calling the numbers that the lost baggage lady provided me even though the number is a Republic of Ireland number you are transferred through to a call center in India. I eventually got my Baggage the next day at 16:35pm without any apology from Aer Lingus, need less to say I will not be traveling Aer Lingus anytime soon.
RouteLondon to Belfast
Date FlownOctober 2018

"not the service I pay for"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | I was refused entrance to the Heathrow lounge despite being a full flex fare traveler, in possession of lounge invitation and being a silver aerclub member. The Aer Lingus staff on the desk refused entrance because I didn’t have a plastic aerclub card and refused to either look it up my aerclub and booking details on the system, despite the aerclub member number being clearly printed on boarding pass etc . After 20 minutes arguing with you staff I got in. But this is not the service I pay a premium fare for.
RouteLondon to Cork
Date FlownNovember 2017

"late arrival by 3 hours"

Trip Verified | Newcastle to Chicago via Dublin. Late boarding and late arrival by 3 hours, two excuses by the pilot (First Officer delayed by a car accident and a technical inspection of aircraft - so which was it?). Another delay coming home from Chicago. Lost baggage in Sept 2017. Won't use them again. Last three trips we've had issues.
AircraftA330-200
RouteNewcastle to Chicago via Dublin

"Charge for everything"

Trip Verified | I have flown Aer Lingus 6 times this month after deciding to take advantage of their non-stop flight from Hartford to Dublin. The convenience is great, and Dublin is an ideal airport for connections. I fly over 150,000 miles per year, and have experienced all of the major airlines. I am shocked to see Aer Lingus highly rated. This airline quality on all 6 of my flights this month was below all of the major airlines and on-par with lower tier airlines like Air Europa. Even though I had a 3 hour layover in Dublin, they lost my luggage. The customer service related to lost luggage was the worst I have seen, and the staff immediately came out and said "don't expect to see your luggage this trip". They could not provide any information, and simply seemed not to care. The seats are extremely uncomfortable on the transatlantic flight. The 757 is old, and the seats extremely hard. It is an extreme problem being a vegetarian on this airline. The vegetarian option is horrible, and I have had the same meal for my flights and snacks. The website is the worst I have used. They do not allow you to change seats online. I broke a rib, and wanted to change to an aisle seat, but this could not be done. I was told to talk to people at the gate, and it could not be done at that point. Frequent Flyer program is horrible. I have flown 6 times across the Atlantic in the psat 2 months, and I am no where near Silver. Their program is much worse than competitors. No drinks, water or coffee are provided on the Inter-Europe flights. Asking for a cup of coffee during the trans Atlantic flight is like asking the flight attendant to move to first class. Service is below the standard on other airlines. Dublin is ideal for transfers. Able to clear customs prior to the trip. No Wifi (even for purchase on long haul flights). Charge for everything (even water and coffee) While I love the convenience, the negatives have me looking again for another airlines.
RouteHartford to London City via Dublin

"exceeded my expectations"

Trip Verified | I was pleasantly surprised by the superb quality and care that Aer Lingus provided to me and my fellow passengers during my flight from Gatwick to Toronto via Dublin. My review is solely based on the longer transatlantic flight from Dublin to Toronto. I appreciated the meals frequency and the amenities provided in the flight. From a complimentary earphone to pillows to snacks and food to the variety of programs in the inflight entertainment (including games and puzzles) to cleanliness of the plane, Aer Lingus certainly exceeded my expectations. The ground crew in Dublin airport are very attentive and readily helpful. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised by this airline, and will be using them for my future transatlantic bonanzas !
AircraftA330-300
RouteLondon to Toronto via Dublin
Date FlownOctober 2018

"Most efficient transfer service"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | New York to Amsterdam via Dublin. Most efficient transfer service that I've ever experienced in Dublin - it took 5 minutes to complete the transfer into lounge and then I waited for 1 hour for onward flight to Amsterdam - brilliant. The Dublin transfer is a real option for USA - Europe connections, even when there is a direct route. The lounge in JFK was decent, although a few jaded materials and lack of attention to detail let it down - the lounge is quite new but some of the materials are worn, decal notices peeling, etc. The lounge should be continually touched up. The A330 business class is one of the better business cabins I've experienced but again it needs a deep clean. IFE is very good and user friendly but would benefit from a greater movie selection. In flight WiFi connection was best I've experienced, it actually worked and was fast unlike most other airlines. Dublin transfer was excellent as summarised. A320 connection to Amsterdam was good, no business class cabin but decent seat in front of aircraft and efficient in flight service/friendly staff - for a business class connection, however, I think you shouldn't have to pay for refreshments but not a big criticism. All in all a very good experience and only criticism is that the JFK lounge and A330 could benefit from a deep clean as they look more jaded than their age should reflect.
RouteNew York to Amsterdam via Dublin