Aer Lingus

"flight could have been much better"

Not Verified | The cabin crew were polite although not so attentive. Before takeoff, they went through the safety procedure talk although it wasn’t very clear and from where I was sitting I couldn’t really see what they were demonstrating. Some other passenger was wearing headphones while takeoff and was sleeping. They were told to take them out but as they were sleeping they didn’t hear and the crew member didn’t even look to see if they did it. A bumpy landing in Dusseldorf. I love the livery but this flight could have been much better. Also, the drinks service was too late and I didn’t have time to finish my drink.
RouteDublin to Dusseldorf
Date FlownOctober 2019

"no in-flight service whatsoever"

Not Verified | We flew from Belfast to Edinburgh and return on Aer Lingus Regional, operated by Stobart Air. On the plus side both flights were both on time. On the negative side the fares were expensive compared to a competitor or the route, although we liked the convenience of flying from Belfast City so were prepared to pay a premium. Also, we had paid for a checked bag as our cabin sized bag was too large for Aer Lingus Regional’s tiny cabin baggage allowance. However, when boarding many other passengers were allowed to bring on all sorts of larger cabin luggage on board with nothing said by the ground staff or cabin crew. The cabin crew, while polite, just went through the motions, there was no in-flight service whatsoever which was disappointing as there was nothing open in the airport prior to boarding. The crew blamed Covid-19 regulations, but other airlines are managing to offer a service.
AircraftATR72-600
RouteBelfast City to Edinburgh
Date FlownSeptember 2020

"a splendid representative"

Not Verified | A big shout out to Margaret who was working on the Aer Lingus ticket desk on friday last 28th August. You dealt with my sister Debrah who was flying to Boston that day. We had a race against time to get extra paperwork. The code of conduct, customer service, empathy, understanding and compassion were second to none. I always knew Aer Lingus were known to treat their customers with care and thats exactly what you did, you proved that right. Aer Lingus this lady is a splendid representative of your company and she should win employee of the year.
RouteDublin to Boston
Date FlownAugust 2020

"haven't tried to get in touch or respond"

Not Verified | Booked flights from Birmingham to Dublin, Aer Lingus rescheduled the flights from Heathrow instead, a month on and they haven't tried to get in touch or respond to my request for refund. They're coasting along on government grants and ignoring their customers completely. Disgusting.
RouteBirmingham to Dublin
Date FlownJune 2020

"a mediocre airline"

Not Verified | Aer Lingus is a mediocre airline. The economy class seats are old and could use some refurbishments on the A330. Also, the seat is tight and there is very little room to have a good sleep. The food was mediocre. The IFE had a decent selection of American content with the majority being Irish shows. The in-seat universal power had hard time holding an iPhone charger. This issue was brought to the cabin crew by many passengers but the only response I got was that the old A330s had so much wear and tear that the outlets didn't work.
RouteWashington to Dublin
Date FlownAugust 2019

"the person hung up on me"

Not Verified | I applied for a voucher because my flight was cancelled due to corona-virus, I received an email to say they had received my voucher request on 23/03/20. I have made two phone calls to Aer lingus the first one said they would escalate my request. In my second call they said they had no record of my earlier (two weeks previous) escalation. I was given an escalation number and I asked if nearly four months of waiting is long enough, the person hung up on me after getting through and her putting me on hold took about forty five minutes.
RouteBirmingham to Shannon
Date FlownApril 2020

"I can not wait to move my money elsewhere"

Not Verified | So so bad. Customer service is so poor it feels an intentional act to make you give up. You get through to a call centre somewhere in the Americas where the line is so faint and scratchy that communication is hard, compounded by staff who do not speak English as their first language and mistakes are made frequently. Their website is almost not worth having or using as it's so unstable, unreliable and random that you can not trust it at all. I've even tried contacting their head office but they just ignore you. I've only used Aer Lingus out of necessity in lock down and I will move my weekly commutes back to Easyjet or anyone else as soon as possible - I can not wait to move my money elsewhere.
RouteBelfast to London
Date FlownJune 2020

"Waiting for voucher refund"

Trip Verified | Waiting since 24th March for voucher refund, after a lot off emails they said it was emailed to me approx end off May but I never received the voucher. Since then no response to my emails and customer service is a disgrace. My rating is based on customer service only.
RouteDublin to Izmir
Date FlownJuly 2019

"trying to get upgrade fee returned"

Trip Verified | I was forced to cancel my trip to Dublin due to the coronavirus. The Aer Lingus system would not allow me to cancel my reservation online. Because I had bid on an upgrade that had not yet been processed I wanted to make sure to cancel before that bid processed. after many hours over several days trying to get through to their reservations department I was charged the upgrade fee. To cancel my flight I resorted to an email. I have spent the last several months trying to get the upgrade fee returned to no avail. I would not recommend this airline. Their actions during a global pandemic indicate they care about nothing but making money.
RouteBoston to Dublin
Date FlownMarch 2020

"would have preferred a refund"

Trip Verified | I booked my flights through Aer Lingus and put in the bids for upgrades. The first flight out was on 12th march and the upgrade bid was accepted and paid for. Unfortunately within a few days of travel the holiday was cancelled and we were advised to return home. Aer Lingus offered free change of flight but price difference would apply. The change function on the website and app were not working. I received a message telling me to contact direct by phone. I was surprised by this in such an age of automation, and a little disappointed. But I was given no other option by Aer Lingus. I called as advised and was on hold for a full 2 hours, I then spoke to an agent who advised my change of flights would be €435 as this represented the fare difference. I accepted and was asked to wait so he could set up payment, then he hung up without taking payment. I was not called or contacted by this agent despite him confirming my phone and email details. So I called again, and again on hold, this went on for 90 minutes when again, having not spoken to an agent, the line was hung up. I called again and after 1 hour the same occurred. That now made it close to 5 hours and no change of flights possible, the frustration at this lack of basic functionality in such a company I found staggering. With the global situation going from bad to worse and the fear of being trapped in the states with no medical insurance and all the other problems a lock down or illness would bring, we had no choice but to book completely different flights to get us home. Again we went with Aer Lingus and this cost us €1577.76. Although I was glad I could get us home, and in the knowledge that I did not have to use Aer Lingus again, despite being so frustrated at the lack of service, I did. But would have been a lot happier if the same ease to book new flights could have been matched by the process for changing existing flights. I received a mail 18th of March to say that I could cancel my flights for the 23rd and would receive a credit in the way of a flight credit plus 10%, again I would have preferred a refund but, was happy to cancel the flight and take the credit to be used later. Then I received a mail to say that my upgrade for my cancelled flight home had been approved and a further €980 had been debited to my card. I now make that a total of €2,5557.76 that I have paid Aer Lingus for flights I should have been able to change for €435. A staggering €2,122.76 cost difference because Aer lingus could not provide basic functionality to change a flight during an emergency. since then I have sent a number of emails looking for clarification and have been replied to by different people each time. the latest tells me that no vouchers apply for flights before the 21st of March. my flight was on the 23rd and I have provided all the documentation they have asked for on this. In my latest call to them, after a further long wait, I was told that this would have to be dealt with by a manager and I was promised a call within 48 hours, this has not happened. I know they are hoping that I get tired of this and just walk away, but I won't.
RouteBoston to Dublin