Aer Lingus

"Aer Lingus is basically getting away with theft"

Not Verified | Like many other complaints here - Aer Lingus is basically getting away with theft - for myself - I requested a voucher almost 9 months ago in Mar 2020 and nothing. Pretty sad and sickening to see them using COVID-19 as an excuse to keep people's hard earned cash. There are quite a few complaints where we are talking thousands of dollars/pounds/euros. I have also been reading from other complaints - that even when people get the voucher after waiting many months that the voucher is being denied.
RouteToronto to Dublin
Date FlownMay 2020

"I have never been so appalled or angry in my entire life"

Not Verified | Absolutely disgusted! Booked a few days away in Edinburgh a few months back as a birthday present for my partner. Had rang around 2 weeks before my flight date to cancel as both Belfast and Edinburgh had went into a further lockdown. The advisor told me even though I couldn't get a refund as the flight hadn't officially been cancelled, that he could move the flights to the same dates next year due to "exceptional circumstances" free of charge. He then advised me to wait until 24 hours before my flight to do this as there was a chance I could get my money back in the event that the flight was cancelled. This was not the case however and when I rang to get the dates changed I was told by another advisor that there would be an additional charge of £168.00 on top of the £150.00 I had already paid. When I disputed this and told him about the previous conversation he became quite blunt and rude and told me to wait until 2 hours before my 7am flight to see if they were going to cancel it if I wanted my refund? Not usually one to write reviews at all, but I have never been so appalled or angry in my entire life, I think in the middle of a global pandemic, where people are struggling enough as it is, for an airline to blatantly rob people is beyond a joke! Basically, the fact that there's a lockdown means nothing when it comes to travelling, even though some people can not afford to take a further 2 weeks isolation period off work. I have handed Aer Lingus £150.00 of my money for nothing and have been refused a refund even due to the circumstances or even the basic courtesy of a flight change 1 year in advance. I have never heard of anything this disgraceful happening with an airline and I certainly will not be travelling the thieves again, and will be advising others not to either.
RouteBelfast to Edinburgh
Date FlownOctober 2020

"This issue made me feel really uncomfortable"

Trip Verified | I had a flight from Edinburgh to Belfast this evening (Oct 26th, 2020), I wore a pair of gloves since I have a skin issue, too much hand sanitizer directly to my skin will cause bad eczema. However, before I got off the plane, a crew member at the gate suddenly spoke to me: “just a suggestion, you don’t need to wear gloves just washing your hands more frequently will be fine!” This made me feel offended and been judged by her, first of all she doesn’t know the reason behind, secondly I’m not here to seek her opinion, she really should keep her very personal opinion to herself! This issue made me feel really uncomfortable!
RouteEdinburgh to Belfast
Date FlownOctober 2020

"My flight was cancelled"

Trip Verified | My flight was cancelled for some reason; the airline didn’t even had the courtesy or system in place to notify the customers. I came to know when I tried to go through airport security as they couldn’t locate the flight. The airline company sent no email, text message or updated the information online so that customers are aware. I was put on a flight 25 hours later. I missed my work and had to figure out my myself the place to stay in the interim. I had to pay out of my pocket for the stay. When I called customer service they refused to help. The online customer service refused to help or compensate for cancellation as well. Now I wonder why would anyone with sane mind ever use such irresponsible airline company.
RouteManchester to New York via Dublin
Date FlownOctober 2020

"Customer service has been absolutely appalling"

Not Verified | After months of sending emails and requests I finally received an Aer Lingus voucher for a flight cancelled in May. It now transpires that I cannot even use this voucher to pay for an outstanding balance on changing flight dates with Aer Lingus. Customer service has been absolutely appalling throughout.
RouteEdinburgh to Dublin
Date FlownMarch 2020

"flight could have been much better"

Not Verified | The cabin crew were polite although not so attentive. Before takeoff, they went through the safety procedure talk although it wasn’t very clear and from where I was sitting I couldn’t really see what they were demonstrating. Some other passenger was wearing headphones while takeoff and was sleeping. They were told to take them out but as they were sleeping they didn’t hear and the crew member didn’t even look to see if they did it. A bumpy landing in Dusseldorf. I love the livery but this flight could have been much better. Also, the drinks service was too late and I didn’t have time to finish my drink.
RouteDublin to Dusseldorf
Date FlownOctober 2019

"no in-flight service whatsoever"

Not Verified | We flew from Belfast to Edinburgh and return on Aer Lingus Regional, operated by Stobart Air. On the plus side both flights were both on time. On the negative side the fares were expensive compared to a competitor or the route, although we liked the convenience of flying from Belfast City so were prepared to pay a premium. Also, we had paid for a checked bag as our cabin sized bag was too large for Aer Lingus Regional’s tiny cabin baggage allowance. However, when boarding many other passengers were allowed to bring on all sorts of larger cabin luggage on board with nothing said by the ground staff or cabin crew. The cabin crew, while polite, just went through the motions, there was no in-flight service whatsoever which was disappointing as there was nothing open in the airport prior to boarding. The crew blamed Covid-19 regulations, but other airlines are managing to offer a service.
AircraftATR72-600
RouteBelfast City to Edinburgh
Date FlownSeptember 2020

"a splendid representative"

Not Verified | A big shout out to Margaret who was working on the Aer Lingus ticket desk on friday last 28th August. You dealt with my sister Debrah who was flying to Boston that day. We had a race against time to get extra paperwork. The code of conduct, customer service, empathy, understanding and compassion were second to none. I always knew Aer Lingus were known to treat their customers with care and thats exactly what you did, you proved that right. Aer Lingus this lady is a splendid representative of your company and she should win employee of the year.
RouteDublin to Boston
Date FlownAugust 2020

"haven't tried to get in touch or respond"

Not Verified | Booked flights from Birmingham to Dublin, Aer Lingus rescheduled the flights from Heathrow instead, a month on and they haven't tried to get in touch or respond to my request for refund. They're coasting along on government grants and ignoring their customers completely. Disgusting.
RouteBirmingham to Dublin
Date FlownJune 2020

"a mediocre airline"

Not Verified | Aer Lingus is a mediocre airline. The economy class seats are old and could use some refurbishments on the A330. Also, the seat is tight and there is very little room to have a good sleep. The food was mediocre. The IFE had a decent selection of American content with the majority being Irish shows. The in-seat universal power had hard time holding an iPhone charger. This issue was brought to the cabin crew by many passengers but the only response I got was that the old A330s had so much wear and tear that the outlets didn't work.
RouteWashington to Dublin