Aer Lingus

"exceeded my expectations"

Trip Verified | I was pleasantly surprised by the superb quality and care that Aer Lingus provided to me and my fellow passengers during my flight from Gatwick to Toronto via Dublin. My review is solely based on the longer transatlantic flight from Dublin to Toronto. I appreciated the meals frequency and the amenities provided in the flight. From a complimentary earphone to pillows to snacks and food to the variety of programs in the inflight entertainment (including games and puzzles) to cleanliness of the plane, Aer Lingus certainly exceeded my expectations. The ground crew in Dublin airport are very attentive and readily helpful. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised by this airline, and will be using them for my future transatlantic bonanzas !
AircraftA330-300
RouteLondon to Toronto via Dublin
Date FlownOctober 2018

"Most efficient transfer service"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | New York to Amsterdam via Dublin. Most efficient transfer service that I've ever experienced in Dublin - it took 5 minutes to complete the transfer into lounge and then I waited for 1 hour for onward flight to Amsterdam - brilliant. The Dublin transfer is a real option for USA - Europe connections, even when there is a direct route. The lounge in JFK was decent, although a few jaded materials and lack of attention to detail let it down - the lounge is quite new but some of the materials are worn, decal notices peeling, etc. The lounge should be continually touched up. The A330 business class is one of the better business cabins I've experienced but again it needs a deep clean. IFE is very good and user friendly but would benefit from a greater movie selection. In flight WiFi connection was best I've experienced, it actually worked and was fast unlike most other airlines. Dublin transfer was excellent as summarised. A320 connection to Amsterdam was good, no business class cabin but decent seat in front of aircraft and efficient in flight service/friendly staff - for a business class connection, however, I think you shouldn't have to pay for refreshments but not a big criticism. All in all a very good experience and only criticism is that the JFK lounge and A330 could benefit from a deep clean as they look more jaded than their age should reflect.
RouteNew York to Amsterdam via Dublin
Date FlownOctober 2018

"was a booking error"

Trip Verified | Dublin to Boston. There was a booking error on our return trip. Customer representative charged 4 of us more than double the original round-trip price for the return change, telling us that this was the best we would get, take it now or leave now. We took it, and upon checking, we could have saved on Aer Lingus if we had left the return as it was and just booked a separate flight. In my over 55 years of flying different airlines, I have never been treated so unfairly.
RouteDublin to Boston

"abandoning their passengers"

Trip Verified | Dublin to Dusseldorf. Weather was bad. Checked on Flightaware and Aer Lingus website. Both said plane was on time for 5:30pm Departure. At 6:15 were told departure 6:45. Started boarding plane. At 7pm flight was cancelled when half of passengers had already boarded aircraft. Communication after that was atrocious. Not sure whether flight was cancelled due to crew working hours limit. Passengers spoke individually to Gate Staff and asked them to communicate over the intercom to the whole group which they wouldn't do. No written communication was given. Issues which had to be resolved without any guidance from Aer Lingus were a) How to rebook to a later flight (24 hours later earliest available) b) How to exit airport as we had passed through passport control c) Where to get our bags d) Accomodation options e) Compensation options according to EU law No food vouchers or accomodation vouchers were given. Tried to ring Aer Lingus at 3am hoping it would be quiet. Was put on hold for 30 mins with no indication of when call would be answered. Filled in a complaint form on their website. Response was "A member of our Guest Relations team will review your request and personally reply to you within the next 60 business days" That's almost 3 months. Aer Lingus has to do some serious work in the customer relations area if they don't want to go out of business. As this would be a semi regular occurence it would have been helpful to get a handout showing what to do and covering a-e above. A good airline is one that handles the situation rather than abandoning their passengers when a flight is cancelled
RouteDublin to Dusseldorf
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"did not provide solutions"

Trip Verified | Amsterdam to Miami via Dublin. Due to the storm our flight was delayed several hours. My friend and I had a travel time over 30 hours. The Aer Lingus Customer Service Desk had only 1 person behind the counter when the incident happened and other 5-6 counters were empty for several hours. The managers told us that the Customer Service desk will be closed at 8pm, and there was nothing Aer Lingus can do at the moment. It would appear to have been more helpful if the managers took charge and provided a solution, looked for solutions, or provided some helpful constructive customer service. We were given breakfast tickets and were later told that the breakfast ticket was unusable in other venues and only usable by the cafe, which claimed to open 24 hours but didn’t have any food for us and Aer Lingus had closed already. So we also used our own money later to buy snacks. Then we found out that there was a difference between a meal ticket (which was apparently able to be used at any restaurant/supermarket in the airport) and a breakfast ticket (which was only to be used at the cafe). Since we connected the flight from Amsterdam to Dublin early AM, the entire day we were with Aer Lingus. Nothing was done, every response from our were questions were brushed off with unhelpful response. I believe this airline failed to remember the fact the only food they provided was a pack of cookies, therefore we couldn’t use the tickets and was given only 1 pack of water. I would like to highlight that this complaint is to the fact that Aer Lingus did not provide solutions nor notify us of the differences between the 2 tickets. I do not think I will ever fly with this airline again, I understand that weather conditions affected the flight patterns and caused delay but the customer service was horrible. The employees behind the ticketing booths and the managers were all very rude and accepted no responsibilities.
RouteAmsterdam to Miami via Dublin

"Never fly them again"

Trip Verified | Our Aer Lingus flight from Ireland to Boston was cancelled due to "technical issues." They re-scheduled our flight to go from Ireland to New York JFK airport and then another flight to Boston airport. Due to the longer flight, we missed our connecting flight home to Denver. Now its 8pm and no flights out until 9am the next morning. My wife has bronchitis and a horrible cough. I asked them to help us with a hotel for the night and they said, "There is nothing we can do." Cheapest hotel is $400/night. So, now my poor wife is sleeping the night in a chair at Boston airport! They are very willing to take your money but not willing to take responsibility when they blow it. They were completely responsible for us missing our connecting flight home. Heartless airline company. Never fly them again and I would highly suggest you consider your choices. Aer Lingus is horrible.
RouteBoston to Shannon
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"not travel Aer Lingus again"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | Glasgow to Dublin. The check in and flight itself was good. On time and reasonable. I am a cyclist and scientist and traveling for conference and training. I booked and paid for a bicycle. However, on return my bicycle carry box was damaged externally. I have had no offer of acceptance/not of liability, letter etc. When home (Glasgow), the bike frame had be damaged, which would have required a heavy force e.g. dropped form back of plane, heavy baggage dumped on top etc. The frame was unridable and needed replacing. I fly about 40 flights a year and have done for over 5 years with bike in this format with zero issues (mainly Air New Zealand and other Star Alliance carriers). OK. so occasionally some handling error may occur, this is life. However, I called, wrote, filled out online forms as recommended by AerLIngus. Replies were short and noted "please wait out team is reviewing it". I followed up 9 times over 2 months and still no response. I have now moved to my travel insurer for recovery of damage costs. Aer Lingus' baggage-ralated customer services is appalling 0.5 out of 10. It left a very sour taste and I would not travel Aer Lingus again nor can recommend this airline. If you do value your baggage and must travel with this poor airline, ensure you have it fully insured. reading other comments here, the airline has a baggage handling issue to sort out. Cheers.
RouteGlasgow to Dublin
Date FlownJuly 2018

"Never flying with them again"

Not Verified | Terrible customer service, rude and unhelpful. Flew Dublin to New York (Aer Lingus) and New York onto Las Vegas (jetblue) on 2 July. Bags never left Dublin until the 10 July and never received any bag for entire holiday. Supposedly bag arrived in Las Vegas sometime after this. On return to Dublin tried to trace bag whereabouts and was told by Aer Lingus that despite their mistake they would take no responsibility for the bag or helping find it and that it was jet blues issue, in saying this they were incredibly rude and unhelpful. Jet blue have then said they returned the bag from Las Vegas to Aer Lingus and said contact them to return it to Ireland. Now Aer Lingus refuse to say anything other then contact jetblue, but jetblue saying Aer Lingus have the bag! This is going on for 2 months and the time and money gone into trying to get bag back, nothing about the ruined holiday or the cost of additional clothing on holiday. At least jetblue try to help and have good customer service. Aer Lingus are just so rude and unhelpful and it was their mistake! Never flying with them again.
RouteDublin to New York
Date FlownJuly 2018

"staff handled it very poorly"

Trip Verified | Chicago to Amsterdam via Dublin. My flight was cancelled and staff handled it very poorly, no one received anything. They gave us a sheet of paper with the wrong number/number that didn't exist. After asking around and searching their website we had to call a phone line that took 4+ hours to talk to someone and had a choice between rescheduling the next flight with them which was two days out or refund of the cancelled flight which means you have to pay expensive last minute flights with other airlines.
RouteChicago to Amsterdam via Dublin
Date FlownAugust 2018

"overall great airline"

Not Verified | Dublin to London Heathrow. Overall great airline. Self Check in a bit laggy, needed assistance from staff, handled it great. Staff great, legroom average but seats very comfortable. We were on time for our return flight and this. Good job Aer Lingus.
RouteDublin to London Heathrow