Aer Lingus

“quite rude and unhelpful”

Not Verified | I recently flew from Malaga to Dublin with Aer Lingus on May 16th. Unfortunately after landing I discovered my suitcase had been badly damaged. There were pieces broken off it and scratches all over it. I tried to search the website to see how to lodge a baggage complaint but it’s very difficult to find what to do. So I tried to contact their customer service on May 18th but I could only get a chat bot. I explained everything and this chat bot said someone would contact me as soon as possible. I waited for a phone call or email but nothing came. So on May 27th I called the customer service team and got speaking to a man who told me you have to search for after flight services and then he told me what to do to lodge a baggage complaint. So I did this and I received back a reply stating that I didn’t lodge the complaint in the correct manner within seven days so my claim was void. I explained how I was waiting as I was told someone would contact me however this fell on deaf ears. On May 31st I called customer service again as nobody was replying in my claim. They were quite rude and unhelpful so I asked for a supervisor to contact me which I was told would happen in a few days. I called back on June 5th as nobody rang me. I was told a supervisor would contact me within 24-48 hours. I again called back today (June 10th) as nobody called me. The guy I spoke with today told me the other agents forgot to put a request in for a supervisor to call me but he has done now and one will call me within 24 hours. I feel like this is awful customer service and that Aer Lingus policy seems to be to ignore the customer who has a complaint and hopefully they will just stop calling. The worst service I have ever received.
RouteMalaga to Dublin
Date FlownMay 2024

"broke the wheels off our luggage"

Not Verified | My wife and i flew Aer Lingus on the 12 of May 2024 out of Seattle to Dublin. Worst flight we have ever had. Flight crews were verging on being down right rude and acted like they didn't even want to be there. Not a smile or happy employee on the entire plane. Couldn't understand any announcements from the flight deck the speaker system was so bad. The food was just barely edible and breakfast was just awful. Cold sandwich of some kind. I asked for some extra sugar for coffee and you would have thought it was asking for gold. I hoped the return flight would be better. It was not. We received the same treatment on our return flight on the 24th May out of Dublin to San Francisco. We also booked a flight through Aer Lingus to Scotland from Dublin and back to Dublin one week later, on their connector airline called Emerald Air. On the return to Dublin emerald air broke the wheels off our luggage and split the cases beyond repair, not just one but 2 of them. Filed a claim with Aer Lingus and still have heard nothing from them about the damage. Never fly with Aer Lingus or their partner Emerald air, Its just not worth the money at any price.
AircraftA330-300
RouteSeattle to Dublin
Date FlownMay 2024

"not part of any alliances"

Trip Verified | Comment on Lounges is based on one lounge in Dublin airport and even that when compared to one world or Star alliance lounges offers the very minimal in refreshment. Call centre for any support is based in Bulgaria and they offer no support just refer to web forms which are ignored. Aer Lingus is not part of any alliances such as one world or star alliance so offer none of the benefits of other airlines owned by IAG, it's a simple point to point airline. Their loyalty club Aer Club offers no benefits such a express security lanes etc when in other non Dublin airports or across Europe and only budget lounge access. Water is not free on flights, Wifi is capped and only available on transatlantic flights.
RouteShannon to London
Date FlownApril 2024

"10 kg of luggage can be checked in"

Trip Verified | Aer Lingus is probably not a low cost airline, but that is probably the case when it comes to on-board service. Check-in was quick and easy. The flight was on time and the luggage was delivered very quickly. What's good is that 10 kg of luggage can be checked in with no extra charge.
RouteFrankfurt to Dublin

"my flight is cancelled"

Not Verified | I booked the ticket 10 days ago I called the airline yesterday as i was unable to do the check in online. They said i can do it online I came to airport 3 hours before my flight and i was surprised by the fact that my flight is cancelled by the storm. They didn't bother to send email tell us that. It was a bad experience for me and my kids. I came with uber and i spend 80pound going and coming back to and from airport. No costumer service to help and guide in the airport. .
RouteManchester to Belfast
Date FlownApril 2024

"way back from Rome was awful"

Not Verified | My way back from Rome was awful. I filed a complaint and called. I heard nothing. When leaving Rome 3.27.24 they held up the flight calling people to the front to "see our passports one more time". Then we got on a bus that took 45 minutes. Very hot crowded bus. We get to the plane and are left on the tarmac - flight attendant said the engine was "broken" and we need to wait. No explanation. No air and then he wouldn't let anyone use the bathroom because we might take off. Then I asked female flight attendant if we could get off early because we might miss our connector. She said your sitting close enough someone will be there to help when we get off the flight. No one was there. The people of the desk were so mean. First they said we missed it then I said we still have 35 minutes and she said well customs closed it I was wrong. Then said we cant get back until the next day go see hotel desk. No one helped us we finally found someone and desk wasn't even marked. Never did we get an apology or any offer for financial reimbursement.
RouteRome to Dublin
Date FlownMarch 2024

"Worst customer service"

Trip Verified | Emailed schedule change but no details. Waited 3 days - nothing. Phoned CS - no idea what was about - will let us know promptly (within a week?). Anxiety sky high. No communication. Phoned again - cheerfully told they had cancelled our inbound flight but that we could get a refund - but only for that flight as outbound still flying!? Just unbelievable. Of course we had accommodation car hire etc booked. Asked re alternatives. Not to worry was told Aer Lingus will ensure we can get an equivalent flight - no problem. Only there was as no flight possible on that date. Was offered similar on next day. Told that Aer Lingus would reimburse us for any additional costs. Said would phone back next day to give time to discuss. Didn’t. I phoned them again. Was told by different person would be reimbursed for costs. No alternative but to book. Asked for confirmation that they would pay additional costs - claimed they were unable to do so as no outgoing mail allowed. Had to redo accommodation (move for one night ): car hire: insurance etc. A lot of hassle. Return a nightmare. Given wrong seats at Check in Orlando. Had to change at gate - tried to give us economy seats instead of Business then did issue Business but not in our names! Had to go back to sort out! No priority for embarking - had to complain -twice - before they would let us on. Shambles. On return submitted extremely modest claim - even ate in the Hotel buffet where they give 25% discount for seniors - which was immediately rejected. They say they have no obligation towards us as they gave us sufficient notification of cancellation. I have been fighting this since but am getting nowhere. They are not affiliated to any ADR so you are basically on your own. Worst customer service - absolute misnomer - ever. They lie and deny. If you have another option take it. I have had to give an overall rating of 1 but it would be minus for all the anxiety and upset they have caused
RouteOrlando to Edinburgh via Dublin
Date FlownDecember 2023

“Incredibly poor customer service”

Not Verified | Customer service? They don't know the meaning of customer service. Literally pulling my hair out trying to even talk to them. They’re a shambles, don't have a clue what there doing and don't care for their customers at all. Cancelled our flight (which was pre booked 9 months in advance) they cancelled it with less than 12 hours notice and this flight was very important to us as we had paid for a very expensive 60th birthday party for my mother which cost over £3000. Hence why the flights were booked 9 months in advance. However Aer Lingus cancelled them not even 12 hours before we were due to fly. They refused a refund at first. Refused to compensate anything at all. Told me they couldn't pay for any hotel expenses etc (when they can as they refunded a friend of mine for her hotel) so shows they don't stick to the rules and discrimination comes to mind as they pick and choose who they want to refund. In the end after more than a month later and endless amounts of emails and I even wrote to them in person and paid £10 to send everything by air mail from England to Dublin. They still haven't provided the refund apart from £26 for extra baggage we paid for. Said the other £216 is on its way, still not received more than a month and still arguing with them over it. We had to pay an extra £700 for alternative flights due to Aer Lingus behaviour. We didn't get an apology or refund or nothing back. They cost us a lot of money. I would not recommend them to anyone and I will never ever use Aer Lingus to fly again. And we are regular travellers who fly every couple of months and always at least 4 of us. Sometimes groups of 10 of us. So they have lost a lot of loyal and genuine customers being my whole family just because they could not acknowledge what they did wrong or even provide a refund for our cancelled flight. Incredibly poor customer service. Also a complete lack of empathy from their staff as to my situation, it clearly just shows the contempt that Aer Lingus have for their customers. Stay well away.
RouteBelfast to Southampton
Date FlownJanuary 2024

“they do not value their customers”

Trip Verified | In September 2023, I faced a situation with Aer Lingus that I feel compelled to share, as a stark warning to others considering this airline for their travels. After circumstances beyond my control forced me to cancel a flight I had booked, which cost me over 700 Euro, I was plunged into a customer service nightmare that left me feeling cheated and disrespected. Upon contacting Aer Lingus to discuss my options, I was informed that I would only be eligible for a refund of the taxes, amounting to a paltry 50 Euro. This was a shock to me, given the significant amount I had paid. Seeking a more reasonable solution, I requested a voucher for the full value of the ticket, hoping for some flexibility given the unforeseen nature of my cancellation. However, this request was met with an unwavering refusal, accompanied by a cold explanation that it was “too late” for such considerations. The interaction with Aer Lingus’ customer service was not only unhelpful but also distinctly unkind. At no point did I feel heard or understood; instead, I was left feeling like a mere statistic in their booking system, devoid of any human empathy or understanding. The rigidity and lack of accommodation displayed by Aer Lingus have convinced me that they do not value their customers or consider the complexities of real-life situations that may affect one’s travel plans. This experience has been deeply upsetting, not just because of the financial loss, which is significant, but also because of the realization that Aer Lingus is not an airline you can trust to treat you with fairness or compassion. Their unwillingness to provide reasonable solutions or exhibit a basic level of customer service decency is alarming. I urge anyone considering flying with Aer Lingus to think twice. There are numerous airlines out there that value their customers and understand the importance of flexible policies and compassionate service. Unfortunately, based on my experience, Aer Lingus is not among them. This is not just about the money lost but about the principle of treating customers with respect and understanding, qualities Aer Lingus has demonstrated they sorely lack.
RouteBoston to Vienna via Dublin
Date FlownSeptember 2023

“provides a low-cost experience”

Trip Verified | Not only specific to my most recent flight but the general experience, and degradation thereof, of Aer Lingus. An airline that charges premium / luxury fare but then provides a low-cost experience, sometimes even worse. From the "lounges" on offer at their various locations and lacking in options, to the lack of any type of useful customers support over the phone and online. This is an airline that doesn't know whether its coming or going. The one saving grace I would say is staff on location are by and large very helpful and supportive.
RouteLeeds to Dublin