Egyptair

"Egyptair is having a come back"

Trip Verified | Dubai to Cairo return both flights left on time and arrived ahead of schedule. Outbound was A330 an older plane which looks a bit tired on return was a brand new Boeing 787 with new leather seats and big 12 inch screens it’s a fantastic aircraft was so quiet during take off and landing which was very smooth crew were friendly and helpful but Egyptairneeds to look into the grooming standards of its employees as well as they need to change this uniform which in my opinion doesn’t reflect the legacy of the airline or the country . Food was ok, the entertainment IFE is with limited options not so many selections, however on the Boeing 787 they have live TV of Euronews and sky news I think Egyptair is having a come back and reviving itself well done MS
RouteDubai to Cairo
Date FlownNovember 2019

"Disappointing quality of service"

Trip Verified | Abu Dhabi to Casablanca via Cairo. Flight was late leaving AUH by an hour for no apparent reason. The new A220 does not have business class seats so regardless of me having a paid business class ticket the seat was the same as the economy section. The late departure from AUH meant my bag missed the connection in Cairo. I had to return to Casablanca airpor At my own expense the next day to collect. Disappointing quality of service with no concern for passengers.
RouteAbu Dhabi to Casablanca via Cairo
Date FlownNovember 2019

"not worth the price they charge"

Trip Verified | Aswan to Cairo on a 3-month old Airbus A220-300 with Egyptair. Seats are hard and there was no IFE of any kind. No alcohol at all served on board. Cabin crew well-groomed and quite friendly. No announcements from the cockpit. Cookies and one round of drinks served during this 75 minutes flight. Departed and landed behind schedule. Wi-Fi available but did not work during the entire flight. Overall, an OK experience but not worth the price they charge for this route.
AircraftA220-300
RouteAswan to Cairo
Date FlownNovember 2019

"improved a lot since last year"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | Bangkok to London via Cairo. Check in at Bangkok was quick with no queues in all classes. The new Thai lounge was right across from our gate, and is a big improvement from most of their lounges. The lounge is huge. Boarding was disorganised, with door A for economy and door B for business when normally it is the other way around, leading to confusion. There were also Egyptian security agents checking details at the gate in Bangkok. I received a warm welcome on both flights and found my seat. Bangkok flights really should get an aircraft upgrade. The A330 is not suitable for this route. The seats in business and economy are only mid-haul quality, but the flight is 10 hours long which makes it a long-haul flight. The seat on the 777 is much better. They’re both angle-flat seats, but the 777 has more pitch, which means your legs aren’t shoved into some tiny compartment under the seat in front. On the A330 this at least has the slight benefit of having the TV screen closer to you, unfortunately the headphone jack was not working. I didn’t mind as I caught some much-needed sleep. Entertainment was rather spoilt for choice but I don’t like the lack of action movies. The amenity kit given on both flights were an improvement from last year, with Aigner lotions and potions as well as some nicer amenities. Food wise; I had ordered a gluten free meal but the flight attendants came around with normal meals and asked if I would prefer to have those instead. All the food was really good but their starter should be more creative, the only appetiser choice was smoked salmon and prawns on all flights. Cairo has a large number of transit passengers, and you clear security at the gate before boarding which makes it a very easy transfer. The newer lounge called Alioth which recently opened is very preferable to the older lounges, namely Almesian. My seatmate used the latter and he described it as a crowded mess. My lounge experience was pretty good but nowhere near the best. My favourite bit about flying Egyptair is that their arrival time into Heathrow is the least busy time of the day, at 1pm, and immigration was deserted. I had a pretty good experience with Egyptair and they have improved a lot since last year and I have easily taken notice. I might consider taking them again in the future if they upgrade the equipment on the Bangkok route.
AircraftA330-300 / Boeing 777-300ER
RouteBangkok to London via Cairo
Date FlownNovember 2019

"no information on my luggage"

(Ghana)

Not Verified | In August 2019, Accra to Tokyo with a transit in Cairo only to arrive in Narita Tokyo with no luggage. I filed my missing luggage as soon as possible and received a mail indicating it will be worked on. That was the last I heard from the airline, I followed up with calls in Tokyo by myself and the concierge but never any response. There were hardly any attendants to even pick the call. I returned to Ghana still with no luggage or a credible response. I go to their office in Accra regularly only to be met with Empty desks. Their manager is barely in office and I still have no information on my luggage. It’s been almost 4 months now with no update or compensation. To think I was a business class ticket holder and experienced this mismanagement is appalling. I will never use this airline or recommend this airline to anyone. Very rude attendants in Cairo when I asked to follow up on the luggage during my transit.
RouteAccra to Tokyo via Cairo
Date FlownAugust 2019

"below my expectations"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | Hong Kong to Bangkok. Being star alliance gold member of Singapore airlines, I looked forward to trying Egyptair for the very first time, and see what they have to offer. However, my business class experience was way below my expectations. Crew's grooming were not really neat, there was no sense of welcome throughout the flight. They were chatting away in the galley, ignoring passengers most of the time. Crew did the bare minimum, there was no smile, they weren't engaging or pro active, from the pursers to junior crew. Since no menu was provided, crew didn't explain what's available in terms of beverages. I had to ask, and it was apparent that they weren't interested to inform me what's available, I felt every little request I made was a huge bother to them. Came meal time, all 3 choices were brought in front of me (instead of using a cart), I had to make a quick decision. I was asked to take the chosen meal from the tray she held. (it's a hot plate btw). No after dinner coffee or tea was offered. Dessert was offered on one sector but not the other.. Crew didn't check for safety procedures during landing and take off on one flight, there were a few passengers still asleep with window shut and flatbed position. This really bothered me and raised all the red flags for safety concerns. There was hardly any announcement from the cockpit about the flight, and info of arrival destination. Toilet was not kept clean. Smoking in the toilet by one of the crew. The business class ticket price was very cheap though. Still, cheap does not mean it has to be bad at this level. I fail to comprehend how they can be one of Star alliance's members?
RouteHong Kong to Bangkok
Date FlownNovember 2019

"shabby by international standards"

Not Verified | Toronto to Athens via Cairo. I got a very good deal on this flight. Trying to contact them in North America to make flight changes is a mystery. The web site directs you to a Montreal phone number which is no longer in use. I contacted the New York office and a woman tried to help me but ended up giving me the wrong seats although I had paid extra for them. I tried contacting a Toronto office and was on hold for 90 minutes and never ended up talking with anyone. I contacted the New York office and a gentleman did contact me and tried to help but once again gave me the wrong seats and charged me for them and then disappeared. After this experience we approached the flight with some trepidation and most of it unfortunately was warranted. Flight was on time, food was mediocre, service was okay. The Egyptair portion of Cairo airport is more like a bus terminal than an international airport, fast food outlets and hard plastic seats. The lounge is probably the worst I’ve ever seen. You can get a drink but be prepared to pay over $20.00 for a simple vodka mixed drink. Boarding is more like a stampede than an orderly assignment of seats. The attendants were friendly enough but I didn’t get the sense there was any motivation to provide better customer service. Planes were shabby by international standards.
RouteToronto to Athens via Cairo
Date FlownOctober 2019

"dog was 4 kg above the limit"

Trip Verified | On October 27th, I was boarding EgyptAir plane MS0895. I had my dog with me. It took me long time to get a permit from US authorities to allow my dog to enter US. The manager talked to me in a very rude way saying don’t waste my time. This dog won’t go on the plane. He was 4 kg above the limit. I offered to pay extra fees. He refused firmly and ordered me out of the line till I take the dog away. He ordered me to take him to Cargo. I called an Egyptian friend and left my dog with her, and I had to board the plane. My friend went to Egyptair Cargo: they told her that they don’t take live animals because they had several accidents. She took my dog to her place and went to return his ticket. EgyptAir took 10% of the ticket. My pet is left in Egypt now. . How can I get my pet to travel to US now?
RouteCairo to New York

"very poor service"

Trip Verified | Amsterdam to Bangkok via Cairo. I've flown a couple of times with this airline - bought a couple of tickets all at once because they were very reasonably priced. In all honesty: I so much regret doing this. On short-haul flights Egyptair has terrible seats in BC; these are very hard and I need to put a blanket under me to sit on. The long haul flights - done A330 and B777 - have seats that not go entirely flat and when sleeping on your side as I do, it messes up your spine. Overall: the planes are just like the lounge in Cairo dirty. Usually, I use the wet tissues to wipe my armrests and they turn black. Also when in the bathroom of the plane, the shelves are black of all sorts of dirty stuff. Staff usually want to do their best, but it all is very clear that they seem to be totally unexperienced or just not a 100% fit for their job. This already starts with small things where I get extremely annoyed with everyone sleeping during the flight and then when sitting at row 4 I still clearly hear staff having their "tea party" conversations and laughs. It would be nice that like in other airlines you would have some sense of your paying customers wanting to have a sleep. Food on board seems to have quite a variety - on the short-haul flights it is always terrible while on long haul it seems to be OK-ish, but also not more than that. Have had much better on other airlines. As for the lounge: it is just all dirty and the food is very mediocre. Most of the stuff I don't want to touch. Reasonably priced tickets but still expensive because you get very poor service and a poor BC product for it.
RouteAmsterdam to Bangkok via Cairo

"Professional staff"

Not Verified | Hurghada to Manchester. After travelling home on Egyptair following the collapse of Thomas cook I have to admit I was a little apprehensive. I shouldn't have been, a smooth flight and hot meal provided. Professional staff, big thank you for getting us all home safely.
RouteHurghada to Manchester