Delta Air Lines

"getting better and better"

Not Verified | Absolute perfection from start to finish. Quick and efficient boarding - from the moment they started to the moment we took off - 30 min max. No nonsense boarding, they stated the rules - clearly and firmly - we will be boarding by class or programs so please kindly wait your turn. (No crowds storming the plane) Crew in total control of the plane, well organized, efficient and kind. Flight took off after 2 min delay, arrived with 20 min to spare. I boarded at 12 05 in Stockholm and landed in NYC JFK at 14 20 local time. Total time around 8 hr 20 min. Comfortable seats, really tasty meal. I had raviolis in tomato sauce. Y Great selection of movies. In the end I guess the experience depends on the crew but I believe that Delta is just getting better and better.
RouteStockholm to New York
Date FlownAugust 2022

"Delta needs to train their employees better"

Trip Verified | Delta needs to train their employees better. The lady at the front desk took over an hour to process our visa and passport and we missed our flight because of her. Imagine paying over $3,000 for plane tickets, waking up at 3am for your flight and missing it because of an incompetent employee. On top of that, we received no compensation whatsoever. The most we received was an "I'm sorry" from one of the employees. She did not now we didn't need an eta permission anymore and kept insisting we file for one. After 30min of her calling multiple places to determine we did not need one, as we previously told her, she took another 30min scanning a visa. She did not know how to do it. I don't blame her. Delta did not train her correctly and when we complained to the supervisor he did not know how to deal with it either besides call customer service.
RouteGainesville to Ottawa via Atlanta / Toronto
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"worst airline I've ever traveled"

Trip Verified | Albany to San Diego via Atlanta. Delta has literally been the worst airline I've ever traveled with and I travel a lot being in the military. From the start my flight from San Diego got delayed due the aircraft maintenance issues which caused me to miss my connecting flight and have to stay in Atlanta an extra day. They couldn't get me a new flight until 6pm the next day which caused me to miss my best friends wedding and wasted $200 on suit rental for no reason but they gave me a hotel room and meal vouchers for me and my 3 children. When flying back to San Diego I tried to use the meal vouches that I didn't get a chance to use yet and they "expired" even though the expiration date is still good. When going to guest services they asked my wife and I why we didn't use them right away and she's not going to issue them back. Horrible customer service, I will make sure none of my Marines fly Delta.
RouteAlbany to San Diego via Atlanta
Date FlownAugust 2022

"Delta telephone service was atrocious"

Trip Verified | I had an issue with Delta online check in, which did not work, was turning in circles. The Delta telephone service was atrocious. Did nothing to try to resolve the situation and quickly told me to check in at the gate. I had already waited 27 minutes on the phone. We had to wait another 27 minutes to speak with her supervisor, who repeated the same message and then hung up on us, I had been calm throughout. Incredibly disappointed with this kind of service.
RouteParis to New York
Date FlownAugust 2022

"chain is disrupted by one weak link"

(Indonesia)

Trip Verified | This is a story about how a 39 hour journey from the Western continental Americas, sadly, became a 5 day trip, chock-full of obscure flights, lost suitcases, international airports on graveyard shift, and poor food to hold me over while I slowly worked my way back to Indonesia. My home away from home for decades, equipped with children and a career I need to return to with some semblance of a plan… however, that plan is being obliterated by Kiwi.com/ Delta Airlines as I speak! I’m sitting here, 10 kilometers from Incheon airport, where I shall sit until the first flight to Bali that has a seat available, is willing to transport me. This is all Delta’s doing at the moment, and I cannot believe my own story as I sit back and revel in it while typing. Kiwi.com, however, as a travel agent, is rather complicit in my defenseless position. I’d be happy to tell you my itinerary was put together by Kiwi.com, with a seemingly flawless algorithm, until I realized that this itinerary relies on every facet of transfers, Covid testing, and airline employees executing their job duties in a timely, effective manner. When this chain is disrupted by one weak link working for Delta Airlines, I became occupational hazard in the flesh, missing flights, having to pay unreal sums of money because we have flight stewards who aren’t attuned to my needs. I started July 26th, 2022 with a flight from Austin, Texas, USA scheduled to 8pm… From there to go on to Houston, TX with an 11 hour layover before boarding my Seoul, S. Korea flight, and ultimately from S. Korea to Bali, Indonesia. My first July 26th flight from Austin to Houston was canceled and rescheduled for the following morning - requiring my 2nd flight from Houston to Atlanta (where I would make my connection to Seoul and onwards home to Bali) to be delayed. This was flight DL1315. I had downloaded the Kiwi.com App as recommended to receive updates and none of this information was posted there. Kiwi.coms’ app was actually such a joke, that my google profile became the de facto OS for me, alerting me to flight delays and suggesting nearby hotels. First off, I am a foreign national in Indonesia, and my passport and visa paperwork clearly show this. However, the woman at the Delta boarding gate in Houston insisted her computer was not up to date on the half a dozen different visas Indonesia gives its ex-pats, and that I could only enter as a tourist. “Fine” I say, “enter me as a tourist.” But a tourist must show an outbound international flight to enter Indonesia. Naturally, as a permanent resident of Indonesia, I had booked a 1-way ticket home to Bali. Despite all my pleas and .gov info from Indonesia Customs online, Delta would not allow me to board the seat I paid for until I ordered an outbound tic
RouteAustin to Denpasar
Date FlownJuly 2022

"only provide small in ear headphones"

Not Verified | Being someone who is hard of hearing and having to wear hearing aids it is really difficult on a flight when they only provide small in ear headphones for the entertainment system. I usually remember to take my own over the ear ones and am able to leave my hearing aids in which enables me to hear cabin crew and still maintain conversations with people as well as make use of the entertainment. Yesterday on a flight with Delta I had forgotten my own and asked the cabin crew member if they had any over the ear headphones, he just looked irritated and said no just these and handed me the little in-ear ones and walked off. I didn't fancy staring into space for 10 hours so I removed my hearing aids and tried my best with the in-ear phones, I turned the volume up full and just about managed to hear the system. The only problem with this was that I could then not hear what cabin crew were saying or any of the safety announcements. It was not a nice experience to have cabin crew rolling their eyes to other people when I couldn't hear what they said the first time, it was extremely embarrassing and uncomfortable. This was not a nice flight and I don't think I would fly with Delta again because of it. I will say that apart from that experience the rest of the flight was okay.
RouteLas Vegas to London Heathrow via Salt Lake City
Date FlownAugust 2022

"going above and beyond for me"

Trip Verified | On August 13th I was traveling from Milwaukee WI to San Diego, CA on Delta flight 2759. The flight departed at 9:20 pm and it was the last flight to San Diego that evening. I misread the boarding time as the departure time and got to the gate late. The door was closed and the jet bridge was moving away from the plane. I spoke to the gate agent and explained I misread my ticket. One of the male flight attendants on the plane saw me at the gate. The gate agent, flight attendant, and the pilot all spoke and decided to open up the doors for me to board. They obviously did not have to do that and it is unheard of. It was at the end of their shift and they could have handled the situation a million different ways, but instead decided to bless me and extend grace to me for my mistake. I was beyond grateful to them for going above and beyond for me. Thank you Delta crew on flight 2759 for your incredible customer service!
RouteMilwaukee to San Diego via Detroit
Date FlownAugust 2022

"Complaint is with damaged luggage"

Not Verified | Complaint is with damaged luggage. Arrived Anchorage at 2am. As expected, no one there at that hour. Wheel broken off suitcase and deep gouge in fabric. Obviously mishandled. Okay - this happens. The next day I was about 200 miles away in Denali and tried to file a claim by phone. Tried to make a claim by website. Totally impossible. I was on various forms of chat for almost an hour. Kept getting rerouted to various departments most of whom turned out to be robot computers - they sound good at first, till you finally figure out they are not real people and they tell you essentially your question is beyond them. At one point I got a person who was nice but she went off shift before anything resolved. Going in circles. Finally gave it up as an impossible quest. At one point was told all I could do was file a complaint as I did not report it at the airport - at 2am. My time is worth more than this or the suitcase, which was not even new and for which I would have settled for maybe $75. Left a very bad taste. Especially since I was on vacation. I am 87 years old and was at the start of a solo 16 day journey through Alaska by car - having a suitcase that won't roll and that I can't pick up is very stressful - I just left it in the boot of the car. Delta should have better customer service. The flight itself was fine.
RouteMesa to Anchorage
Date FlownAugust 2022

"appalling, rude, and condescending customer service"

Trip Verified | I have never experienced such absolutely appalling, rude, and condescending customer service in my life as I did at the counter in Midway. Short, snippy, and sarcastic, the agent seemed to want to have very little to do with us from the minute we stepped to the counter. No smile, no hello, no greeting. And it was all downhill from there. We had been planning for my son to participate in a foreign exchange program for a year and a half. Made all the arrangements, did all the research, and checked all the boxes. We chose Delta because they had an arrival time inside of a time window we needed to meet. Simple enough. He is a minor. He is old enough to opt out of the Delta Unaccompanied Minor program, where they charge an extra $150 and require someone at the destination to jump through a bunch of hoops to pick him up. The host organization already had a process in place. We researched the unaccompanied minor rules and regulations. The host organization would have someone waiting to meet with him at the gate in Japan. No problem. We chose to opt out of the unaccompanied minor program because the Delta website rules specifically state: https://www.delta.com/us/en/children-infant-travel/unaccompanied-minor-program "If I decline the Unaccompanied Minor Service for my 15-17 year old, can I still accompany them to the gate? Yes. If you are dropping off or picking up your minor but opted out of the Unaccompanied Minor program, we will issue you a pass to accompany your child to the gate. Please check with an airport agent at the time of check-in to have the gate pass issued." We arrive at the ticket counter to begin the process and the agent is visibly annoyed that she now has to go through all of this process first thing in the morning (visa, passport, covid test verification, etc) and she makes it very clear through her body language and attitude that she is annoyed. Then we get to the part where I request a pass to accompany my son to his gate. She responds "No. He's old enough to travel by himself." I mention the rules we had researched, and after some tense back and forth, she says "no, we're not Southwest." Now, tensions are escalating and my son is upset. She even walks away at one point to go do something else that seemed completely unrelated to us. I know if I escalate any further, I run the risk of expulsion from the airport, so we take our boarding pass and move away. My son is very upset at this point and asks if there is anything else we can do. We get back in line to try a different agent. This one is even worse. I opened the discussion with a recap of our previous encounter and even showed her the Delta website I had pulled up on my phone. She looks right at it and says the only thing she can do is enroll him in the unaccompanied minor program. So I say, "ok, let's do that." She rolls her eyes and her shoulders slump. She leans forward, places her hands face down on the counter looks up with her head cocked to the side and says "fine. But I'm going to need a lot of information." She has us fill out a form which is quite comprehensive, then starts pausing at every other word to ask if the spelling is correct. The process drags on so long, and the tension was so uncomfortable, that my son asks if we can just go. I express to them that the amount of trouble to go through this when the rules clearly state that it should amount to a simple request is ridiculous. So my son started his trip alone. Lesson learned.
RouteChicago to Tokyo via Atlanta
Date FlownAugust 2022

"flight was delayed by over 5 hours"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | Bad service. My flight was delayed by over 5 hours. I missed my connection in Amsterdam and they offered me another flight after waiting 12 hours. In total 8 hours of travel for 18 hours of waiting, make your considerations.
RouteBoston to Amsterdam