China Airlines

"an inconsistent experience"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Denpasar via Taipei. Check-in at LAX was smooth. They gave us a transfer sleeve to store boarding passes for later segment, which was a nice touch. We had a remote gate far away and had to be shuttled by bus. That experience wasn't very pleasant as we had to wait inside the bus for a very long time. Despite having reservation for four seats (traveling as a family), there was no available overhead storage. All four of us had requested special meals, but the flight attendants started serving us regular meal. It was only after we showed them our boarding passes that they served our special meals. The overall ambiance, seating comfort, and IFE were excellent. Both B777-300ER and A330-300 were tastefully decorated. The service between Taipei and Bali segment was far superior to what we experience between LA and Taipei. The service on our final segment from TPE to LAX fell below the mark. The flight attendants serving us in economy didn't smile and were quite rude while interacting with us. So, while friendly service was absent in TPE-LAX segment, the WiFi worked well on B777-300ER. Overall, China Airlines offered an inconsistent experience where the positives outweighed the negatives, so we will still fly with them again.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER / A330-300
RouteLos Angeles to Denpasar via Taipei
Date FlownNovember 2019

"appreciated our luggage arriving with us"

Trip Verified | Taipei to Sanya. Our plane was late getting into Taipei from Los Angeles and we had just enough time to disembark and walk to the gate of our connecting flight to be the last persons to board. I told my wife that I was sure our luggage wasn’t going to make the connection. I sat down at my window seat and watched the last of the luggage being loaded but did not see ours. The cabin door closed and I expected us to leave but we didn’t. I could see the baggage handlers impatiently waiting for something. Alas, 10 minutes later a buggy showed up with our luggage and was quickly loaded and we were then on our way. Our flight ended up late and although I felt a little guilty we really appreciated our luggage arriving with us. The food we just ok. The staff were friendly but busy.
RouteTaipei to Sanya

"most comfortable seats"

(Austria)

Trip Verified | Taipei to Vienna. I find the service in Business Class worth the money. The friendliness and readiness to serve you is very good. The seat is one of the most comfortable seats in business class. The food, especially the breakfast, is very good and tasty, champagne and wine was excellent as well. IFE offers you a large screen and is very responsive. The variety to choose from was also more than enough.
RouteTaipei to Vienna
Date FlownNovember 2019

"worst flight I've ever been on"

Trip Verified | New York to Taipei. This is the worst flight I've ever been on in my life. I got a discount on this flight, and the stewardesses were nice. Everything else about was a nightmare. I called a week in advance and had to pay for the desired seat I wanted for $30 extra because this airline doesn't let you choose your seat. But they ended up giving me the wrong seat anyway, rather than 40E, which is larger. They could not fix the issue on the plane, so I was stuck with the tiny seat and wasted my $30. Some seats can lift the armrest, but the one I had to go to could not and was quite uncomfortable. I then learned that this was the first flight I've been on that doesn't offer free WiFi. I had to pay $50 (specifically $43.90) to use their very bad WiFi service. The "entertainment" tablet doesn't work, even if you rub it or clean it, and there's nothing on there you've ever heard of, anyway. The food looked inedible, but that's okay because I opted not to eat anyway. It just sucks you have to pay for water, since TSA obviously doesn't let you bring any liquids on. Guess I should've brought a bigger water bottle. Sixteen hours of this, and they don't even offer you WiFi or working power outlets (though I'm surprised we even had those). This airline just seems cheap, even if their actual prices aren't that cheap.
RouteNew York to Taipei
Date FlownNovember 2019

"special meal of a good quality"

(Taiwan)

Trip Verified | Tokyo to Taipei. Priority check-in at Narita was quick and easy. I was able to change my seat at the counter. Boeing 777 has a beautifully designed cabin and offers lots of choices on the inflight entertainment system. The cabin manager on this flight was kind and helpful. I was welcomed on board and addressed by name. The vegetarian special meal was of a good quality. There was a selection of drinks available, I tried Kumquat Lemonade and Formosa green tea. On arrival, my luggage was first off the belt as it was marked Priority. I am a SkyTeam Elite Plus member and I never experienced such attention to detail and personal service.
RouteTokyo to Taipei
Date FlownOctober 2019

"crew need to lift their game"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | My wife and I flew to Brisbane from Auckland and return. A350 was roomy and comfortable in Economy Class. Crew were friendly. IFE with a good selection of movies, TV and music. Crew on return flight indifferent and sour. Meals were awful - spiced chicken and rice - worse than a microwavable meal from the supermarket. In summary crew need to lift their game. English is often poor and engagement nowhere near Singapore Airlines.
RouteAuckland to Brisbane

"mostly pleasantly surprised"

(French Polynesia)

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Honolulu via Taipei. I fly regularly between Honolulu and Bangkok, but I've never flown on China Airlines. However, it emerged as the least-expensive option for a recent trip and since the price and flight schedules were good I decided to give the airline a try, despite some hesitation. I was mostly pleasantly surprised by the airline: Though the staff seem to be unable to smile and service both on the ground and in the air is bare-bones, the A350 is a fabulous aircraft, the seats were mostly comfortable, and the entertainment system was alright. There were a few negative experiences: For instance, not one single flight arrived or departed on time; The airline's pillows and blankets are pitiful, and the catering is mostly inedible; China Airlines has the serving style favored by many Asian airlines, wherein a few drinks choices are offered on top of the meal service trolleys, and if a passenger requests anything not on top of the trolley, the flight attendants tend to lie and say they ran out. It's very, very tedious to constantly have to ask and remind them for something as simple as a can of Coke Zero, and for it to be brought with a scowl. I arrived at Taipei from Honolulu in the middle Typhoon Mitag; My onward flight to Bangkok that evening was cancelled and I was expecting a chaotic, uncomfortable evening in Taipei's airport. Much to my surprise, the situation had been rather expertly arranged before my arrival: An agent met our flight and informed all of us going to Bangkok that we had been rescheduled for a flight the following morning and that accommodation had been arranged for us for that evening. I was impressed by the efficiency of China Airlines and the Taipei airport authorities, and I commend them for their handling of a difficult situation. In all, I recommend China Airlines because of the very low cost paid for this set of flights. While China Airlines certainly pales in comparison to ANA, JAL, EVA Air, Thai Airways and Singapore Airlines, it is at least as good as Korean Air.
RouteBangkok to Honolulu via Taipei
Date FlownOctober 2019

"not fly with this airline again"

Trip Verified | Taipei to Vancouver. The onboard experience was fine. The problem with this airline is the ground customer service and code-share system. I have no idea why, but China Airlines would not allow me to select my seats in advance or even change my seats at check-in. It seems that some tickets simply do not have an online check-in or seat selection option. You are forced to get to the check-in desk when it opens (about 3hrs before a flight) and try to get them to change the seat they assign to you. This creates a mad rush at check-in, and a strong likely-hood of not sitting with your companion and getting the middle seat. This is exactly what happened to me in Taipei. I flew in on a code-share flight with Vietnam Airlines. There was no online check-in option for the China Airlines portion of the flight. At check-in in Saigon, China Airlines automatically assigned my wife and me to two middle seats in different rows (not together). I asked the Vietnam Airlines agent if we could change the seat assignments, but they were unable to access seating for China Airlines. When I got to Taipei for the connection, I went to the China Airlines office to change the seats, and they said all seats were assigned and the flight was full, but that the boarding counter could probably do something. I went to the boarding gate, and they said they would make a note of this. I asked what that meant, and they said they would tell the stewardess. I asked what that meant, and they said the stewardess would look for spare seats. I asked why they couldn't see if there were any spare seats, and the boarding gate said they could, and there were none, 'but maybe someone would be too sick to fly'. There was no attempt to look for people that were willing to move from one seat to another to accommodate my wife and I sitting together. No effort what so ever, they just wanted to tell me they took my name. The boarding agents said it was a common problem that people could not check-in online or select their seats in advance. The boarding agents even laughed as I walked away. The problem is not just the boarding agents, its China Airlines inability to allow online check-in or seat selection on booking flights. I'm not sure why they don't have a system that would do this? Regardless, I will not fly with this airline again.
RouteTaipei to Vancouver

"service was very good"

Trip Verified | Vienna to Auckland via Taipei and Brisbane. I am very happy with the experience . I flew in Economy Class, at the height of 1,83m / 6ft I had enough legroom. Vienna to Taipei I was offered to change my original seat to a seat in a row which was completely free (I did manage to sleep a couple of hours on this flight as I could kind of lie down during the flight.) The remaining two flights were fully booked and if 3 men sit next to each other, there is not too much space in Economy class but it did not feel uncomfortable. The cabin crew was very friendly and the service was very good. I enjoyed the meals and the in-flight entertainment. The A350-900 is a great and modern airplane I can definitely recommend.
RouteVienna to Taipei via Auckland
Date FlownOctober 2019

"never fly with China airlines again"

Not Verified | Los Angeles to Jakarta via Taipei. Will never fly with China airlines again, flight attendants are rude no common courtesy, get into your personal space without warning no "excuse me" no nothing! Felt like a harrasment because I purchased a premium economy seats for my infant and have to argue back and forth about it because they didn't believe my 1,5 year old is not 2 years old, I bought 3 premium economy seats for my 2 kids and I but they only gave me 2 meals and not counting my other kid! Their excuse is they don't have infant food even tho I told them my 1,5 year old can eat anything, asking me to show my kid passport all the time because they thought my 1,5 year old is too big for her age. Told me to deflate my flytot even tho other passengers in economy class are allowed to using theirs, even after I deflated it they keep coming back and woken me up because they thought I was still using it! I have to literally show them I didn't use the flytot anymore! Again I will never fly with China airlines ever again. The only reason I gave 2 stars for cabin service and not 1 star is because one of the flight attendant actually felt bad for keep asking me about my child. But out of 4 flights we've taken only 1 was bearable.
RouteLos Angeles to Jakarta via Taipei