China Airlines

"comfortable with good service"

Trip Verified | I flew China Airlines from Singapore to Vancouver on the 21st June 2024 by Premier Economy. The flight was not very full but dep from Singapore again delayed by 30 minutes. Due to this the Airline allows another extra 30 minutes in its schedule! We landed at Taipei 10 minutes late only & after a wait of 5 hrs -took off for Vancouver on the second leg of my journey. This flight was unfortunately delayed by 30 minutes at Taipei due to "baggage loading" issues etc. We landed at Vancouver 25 minutes late as a result of the late take off. The flight however was very smooth & comfortable. Cabin Crew was very good & cleaned the toilets every 3 hrs -so they remained "spic & span" & were well stocked. Entertainment system was very good though on Singapore-Taipei sector my Screen had no sound & I had to change my Seat. The food I always eat on flights is AVML (Indian Veg Meal) & this varied in quality. Singapore-Taipei meal was very good -though it lacked Indian Bread (bun provided) & No Plain Yoghurt & I would rate it 7.5/10. On the Taipei -Vancouver Sector the Dinner was " below par" & only the fine quality basmati rice & north indian tasting veg & fruits was edible.I would rate this 4/10 only. The breakfast (second meal) was better as they provided Parotta with Indian cauliflower & potato curry & cabbage curry-both tasty. Again fruits were provided (Banana should have been given). I would rate this meal 5.5/10. No Plain Yoghurt (an essential part of every Indian Veg meal was provided. Fortunately I always carry my own Yoghurt & Indian Pickle packets, so I could repair the meals & enjoy them . I hope China Airlines pays attention to my comments & modifies their AVML meals to include more Yoghurt & Indian breads in future. The Seat was very comfortable & with 2-3-2 seating in Premier Economy. Baggage was well handled & no damages & was quickly discharged at Vancouver Airport. Overall view of China Airlines & the Flight can be described as relaxed, comfortable with good service & ambience. A last word on the A-350-900 Aircraft which in my view is excellent for such a long flight, smooth ,stable & very spacious. I will continue to fly by China Airlines in my future flights to Asia.
RouteSingapore to Vancouver via Taipei
Date FlownJune 2024

“Horrific customer experience”

Trip Verified | Horrific customer experience after being left in the queue by the airline. We arrived at Taoyuan Airport in Taiwan to check into our flight back to London 2 hours before departure. The airport was extremely busy and, in each section, it was nearly impossible to move between the lines of passengers zig-zagging away from the check-in desks and up the corridor. Our own set of check-in counters (Area 11) appeared to be handling 8 flights, most of which were departing at around the same time. We managed to reach the check-in desk around 7:30am (30 mins before departure) and was told that the flight was closed and we could not check in. During that time, nobody went past us with a sign, changed the signs over the check in counters or called our flight loud enough to hear, and there were no staff members available to speak to. We were aware of the time, so we were looking for staff holding signs; neither of us left the line or wore headphones as we were trying to be vigilant. There was nothing to suggest we should just stay in line with everyone else. At the customer support desk, the supervisor (Chang YuHao) tried to help by suggesting he could put us on the Monday flight (2 days later). However, there was no offer to cover our costs (two nights accommodation in a hotel (plus expenses)) and it would mean missing a day of work and my wife’s pregnancy scan. He then suggested that he would speak to the duty manager to see if there were any other solutions. When the duty manager (Liao ChiaRu) arrived at 9:30 am (nearly 1.5 hours after we arrived at the support desk), he refused to offer any solution. He claimed he had made the announcement himself, but we never saw him (in connection with our flight or others). He acknowledged that his voice might not have been loud enough (to which we pointed out the need to use a microphone or the screens at the counter to display messages on such a busy day. Where the supervisor had tried to find a solution, the duty manager made clear that it was our fault that we were stuck in the line at the counter. When I told him that my wife was pregnant and needed to get home, he laughed at me and then walked away and we never saw him again. To be clear, my wife is Taiwanese and spoke Mandarin to him, so there was no miscommunication. The supervisor then discussed alternatives with him in the back room and told us that the duty manager had refused to move us onto another flight and left us with the choice of (a) flying out two days later, or (b) cancelling the flight and finding an alternative (with a fee of £181 per person applied as a late cancellation fee). This was clearly not helpful as either option would cost us a fortune and we had not done anything wrong. In the end, we spent £1200 to get a Thai Airways flight home. This is an appalling way to treat customers who have complied with their obligations and no way to act as an airline.
RouteTaipei City to London
Date FlownApril 2024

"Seat was spacious & very comfortable"

Trip Verified | I flew by China Airlines Premium Economy from Vancouver (BC) to Singapore via Taipei on 27 th May 2024. The flight took off ON time & landed in Taipei 30 minutes before time. The flight from Taipei took off 15 mts late but landed 15 minutes early at Singapore. The Aircraft used for both flights was A350-900 Airbus. However on Taipei Singapore-"leg", one of the China Airlines "Chartered" Plane with 2-4-2 Seating in Premier Economy unlike the Standard 2-3-2 found on China Airlines A-350. The Flight from Vancouver to Taipei has some rough turbulence just before Japan & meal service had to be suspended for about 45 mts. Otherwise the flights were smooth. The Aircraft, Toilets etc were clean & well kept. The Seat was spacious & very comfortable & ideal for a 12 hrs flight. The Cabin Service was very good & nowadays more China Airlines Staff speak English- so communication not a problem. I had ordered AVML Meals on the Vancouver to Taipei Sector & VLML meal on Taipei- Singapore Sector. Surprisingly the AVML Hot meals from Vancouver were tasty (first time I experienced this). Unfortunately the 'Starters "were a flop & did not have any resemblance to AVML food. China Airlines should study Indian Culture further to understand the "tastes of Indian Starter foods" etc. Further once again None of the three meals had plain natural Yoghurt served with meals. China Airlines should note that Plain Yoghurt constitutes the major part of EVERY AVML meal & I trust the Airline Catering will take note of this point & correct it in future meals served. The VLML meal was a baked mixed Veg pasta. Nice, Hot & Tasty - though the Starter disappointed. Another point was the lack of Salt & Pepper packets wiith meals. These should be given on request. Entertainment was good. Baggage handling was efficient & good as always. Finally a word of appreciation for the smooth transfer of passengers at Taipei Airport. I can state this is the best I have seen.
RouteVancouver to Singapore via Taipei
Date FlownMay 2024

"traditional Taiwanese hospitality"

Trip Verified | On this red eye flight, dinner was served on a tray with canapés and dessert served separately. The cabin manager introduced herself to me in Mandarin and served a pre-departure drink. I slept after the meal service on the flat bed on this 4.5 hour flight to TPE. The service exudes traditional Taiwanese hospitality that was natural. I can sense that service DNA is deeply ingrained in their flight attendants. I will definitely fly CI again.
AircraftA321 Neo
RouteSingapore to Taipei
Date FlownApril 2024

"professional and friendly crew"

(Vietnam)

Trip Verified | Had an enjoyable flight with China Airlines (CI) from Taipei - Taiwan to Ho Chi Minh city. Flight was on time with professional and friendly crew. Seat was comfortable with generous legroom. We liked the wooden-look-like interior of the craft, felt warm and elegant. The meal was quite pleasant to us. We also appreciated that the chief purser came to our seats and greeted us by our names, provided some information about the flight, as we were Skyteam Elite Plus members.
RouteTaipei to Ho Chi Minh City
Date FlownDecember 2023

"an average experience"

Trip Verified | I flew with my elderly father in May 2 2024, Flight C124 from Taipei to Los Angeles. Overall it was an average experience. However; I would like to show my gratitude towards the Cabin Chief on that flight, she's amazingly kind and professional. My father needed extra care, and she personally delivered.
RouteTaipei to Los Angeles.
Date FlownMay 2024

"a terrible experience"

Trip Verified |   China Airlines from LAX to Taipei to Manila was a terrible experience from beginning to end. Firstly the flight from LAX was delayed for over 1 hr for inexplicable reasons. Amazingly, despite this, it turned out that most of the luggage did not get put on the flight, something we didn't discover until after we cleared immigration and noticed that our luggage wasn't coming through on baggage 5. Imagine we were had a sign to go to baggage 5 and still most of us were not informed that the majority of the luggage never left LAX. So after waiting for 1/2 hr hoping that our luggage would show up, we then had to wait in another line for 30-45 mins. for an understaffed desk to hear our fate. We had 4 pcs of luggage to come from LA and were told that they were still in LA but promised that we should expect to get them flown from LA and should get them delivered to us the next evening. They promised to call that day later for an update and never did. We expected to arrive in Manila at about 1AM and left about 4AM because of all we had endured. We had to try so many times to hear the phone no. we were told to call, ring incessantly. Occasionally, someone would answer and we were told that a driver would deliver 2 items but no one showed up. Finally we got all 4 pcs together almost 48 hrs after we arrived. Oh, by the way, the 3 meals we got (2 to Taiepi and one Manila) were tasteless and unappetizing. We have traveled through the years on other Asian airlines, and now the first time on China Airlines, and China Airlines has by far the worst food. It didn't matter that the 3rd meal didn't have a 2nd option. My wife and I ordered different meals for the first leg, and both hated it. We arrived in Manila exhausted and hungry. Then China Airlines sent us each a survey (not sure if it was because of our atrocious experience or not). Regardless the first page which was only a cover page allowed us to click on English. However, the rest of the survey was only in Chinese. China Airlines get a 1/10 for getting us to Manila safely, but so do most other airlines. So they need to be judged on other things for which they failed miserably. My wife and I, and pretty much all the customers who arrived in Manila to only discover that their luggage was still in LA, unanimously agreed that even if they are the cheapest we will never use them again. And oh yes, one leg of a suitcase was broken.
RouteLos Angeles to Manila via Taipei
Date FlownApril 2024

"service on the flight was fantastic"

Not Verified | An old Boeing 737-800 with the slightly dated interior and without the flat bed and personal entertainment. However for the short duration the space was comfortable. China Airlines allows passengers to use their smartphone or tablet to connect to inflight wifi and stream the TV/movie/music and also a flight map. I prefer this to a fix screen. The service on the flight was fantastic. From friendly welcome to meal service, the crew provided a first class service. Meal and drinks provided were of great quality. We took off on time and landed slightly early in Seoul.
RouteTaipei to Seoul
Date FlownMarch 2024

"ground crew were excellent"

Not Verified | I cannot praise China Airlines highly enough. I was just released from hospital and my mobility was poor. The ground crew were excellent and the hostesses on both legs of my flight couldn't do enough to make me comfortable and assist me. The planes were great and the leg room was fine for a big man. I enjoyed the food and it's quality was far better than many airlines.
AircraftA350-900 / A321
RouteSydney to Cebu via Taipei
Date FlownMarch 2024

"Price far lower than competitors"

Trip Verified | Amazing. Actually exceeded all expectations. Spotless clean plane. Left early, arrived early. Crew were receptive and prompt. Love the A350, so spacious vs Boeing 787/777/A330. Price was far lower than competitors and better service. Used wifi, not fast but efficient.
RouteBrisbane to Auckland