Cathay Pacific Airways

"not deserve their 5-star rating"

(Indonesia)

Trip Verified | Jakarta to Hong Kong. Cathay Pacific did not deserve to have their 5-star rating on the service they provided during my flight. Though the airplane is good, lots of heir competitors also have similar airplane serving the particular route. Flight attendants are adequate, they are helpful but not friendly. Food is terrible, the taste is very bad and the menu is very bad. Seating is comfortable and quite good, and there is no complaint to be made here. Along with in-flight entertainment, it is quite good and quite complete.
RouteJakarta to Hong Kong
Date FlownAugust 2019

"no pajamas, no slippers"

(Myanmar)

Trip Verified | Flew business class from Hong Kong to Los Angeles. Window seat 18D CX884. The cabin crew especially the older women undermined me and tended to others more and gave me a shabby look. It was overall a great experience except the part where my supposedly "priority baggage" had a huge dent leaving it unsealable after opening it once but it's ok - Priority baggage does not make a difference for Cathay, it comes out even later. Some other cons are, no pajamas, no slippers, limited and bad toiletries, small bathroom, food takes long
RouteHong Kong to Los Angeles
Date FlownAugust 2019

"revamped First is disappointing"

Trip Verified | Hong Kong to London. Check in was a breeze at the City Centre in Hong Kong, and staff was friendly. The lounges were the highlight, with massage, private day room, and the Cabana was beautiful with its own bath and daybed. The lounge food was satisfactory. However in comparison with Lufthansa first class terminal, the food was pretty subpar. There was no private transfer of course from the lounge to the plane either. For the flight itself, there was no accompaniment to the seat, just a 'turn right' by the purser. Both flight attendants were polite, friendly, and helpful, but no going the extra mile. I was greeted by the latest upgrade of the inflight amenities that Cathay highlighted in their latest 'Let your senses guide you' campaign: The seat itself is the same with its spaciousness and is extremely comfortable. The new Bamford kit is nice, and the new bedding is comfortable, but no more than before. The pillow is too large, but the red small cushion is soft and a pleasant addition. The welcome drink is downgraded from champagne to a small glass of comparatively cheap Jing tea! Then came the meal itself: the same caviar with champagne that was not well chilled, lobster main course sounded great on the menu but came out exceedingly bland and tasteless. No cheese was offered voluntarily by the staff. The dessert of passion fruit pie was sickeningly sweet and disgusting. After dinner, chocolate was given out but then retrieved as I slept so I had to ask again afterwards. All in all a very disappointing dinner. That is in line with my last meal with Cathay in Business, which was inedible. The flight overall was very bland, and nothing special, unlike the First in Lufthansa or Swiss, which was classy and luxurious. In summary, the latest revamped First is disappointing with cosmetic changes and suggestive of cost cutting, not worthy of a full first fare. My senses would not guide me there!
Seat TypeFirst Class
RouteHong Kong to London

"would not recommend"

Not Verified | Bangkok to Boston via Hong Kong. I would not recommend this airline, especially if you have specific meal requirements. They don’t let you select meal options when you are booking and then you can’t specify it during check-in unless it is 24 hours earlier. Staff is very rude if you even try to talk to them about it during check-in. In today’s age, it is hard to believe that after you book your ticket you have to call an airline to provide your vegetarian meal preference.
RouteBangkok to Boston via Hong Kong
Date FlownNovember 2019

"Such a horrible airline"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | San Francisco to Bangkok via Hong Kong. My flight was cancelled on Nov 13, 11.45 pm to Nov 14, 11.05 pm but they use the word "reschedule" to not be responsible to the passenger. They do not have hotel to support the passenger just told us go home and come back tomorrow. If you are the tourists you have to find your hotel by yourself. Actually my previous flight from Bangkok to Los Angeles via Hong Kong was horrible also, the toilet on the plane was not available since I was on-board and they don't fix it. The rest was really dirty and I have to wait for a long time to use the toilet. Such a horrible airline. Can't believe Cathay has poor standard and service like this. I am very disappointed.
RouteSan Francisco to Bangkok via Hong Kong
Date FlownNovember 2019

"not travel with Cathay ever again"

Trip Verified | San Francisco to Beijing via Hong Kong. I have been a Marco Polo member and several flights back and forth from the USA and Asian countries every year. Today, I called in to request a refund of a ticket that I had canceled several weeks ago. When I canceled, I thought that that was enough and I didn't have to call them to "request for a refund" until I realized that the fund has not been credited back to me. After waiting for more than 30 minutes, I talked to an agent. She started the conversation with a nice greeting. Then after she realized that the travel date of the CANCELED ticket has been passed and I didn't call in for the refund request earlier, she began to tell me that I have to be charged for "no-show" and "cancelation fee" (even though my ticket was canceled within the 24-hour grace period). To be honest, I didn't even know what I was supposed to call to "request" this refund, and I explained to her my situation. She put me on hold for a little while and talked to someone. She then came back and told me that Cathay can waive the no-show fee but not the cancelation fee. I told her that I did cancel within 24-hour and Cathay is obliged to not charge me any cancelation fee. I'm not unhappy because of the charge she insisted, but actually about what she was saying next. She said "if you don't have anything else to say, then finish paying for the charge because I don't have time to stay on the line with you for this issue". Really? I waited more than half an hour for the call. I admit, there are many customers on the line, but our call was not even 5' yet and more than 90% of the time it was about her checking the system and talking to someone else. But more importantly, I have never experienced any response like this from any customer service reps, and certainly not from Cathay Pacific customer service. Then I politely asked her that I'd like to speak to her manager. She told me "ok", but then she re-directed me back into the mainline and there was the wait all over again. Honestly, this is the WORST experience I have ever had from any type of customer reps. Since the time I started flying with Cathay, the service continues to go down spirally. There were indeed flying experience with Cathay, but I do not see the same level of service across different times, even on the same routes. I have almost over 300K Asia miles and I intend to use it, but I will not travel with Cathay ever again after that.
RouteSan Francisco to Beijing via Hong Kong
Date FlownNovember 2019

"I didn't have travel insurance"

Trip Verified | Hong Kong to Toronto. In advance I paid extra for a seat with extra leg room, beside the exit door . In Bali (my previous destination) I broke my foot right before the flight to Hong Kong, not knowing it was broken I boarded the flight of 5 hours in excruciating pain. Once I landed I realized it was broken - Immediately called my doctor back home and asked what I needed to do. I didn't have travel insurance so I could not afford to go to a hospital. He instructed that I elevate my leg and ice it on the plane. When I arrived at the boarding gate in a wheelchair the flight attendant said nothing to me about changing my seat from the exit row, not until we were boarding on the ramp did I realize my seat was moved. At the door of the plane I asked why this was. They told me because I couldn't help in the case of an emergency. They put me in a middle seat behind this exit aisle. When I requested a change of seat they said there was nothing left but Economy Plus - something I would need to pay for if I wanted extra room. I had no choice but to upgrade my seat to ensure my leg was elevated (can you imagine a 15 hour flight with no pain medication and the cabin pressure causing extreme discomfort... well don't worry this airline can't imagine it either). They charged me $2,600 Canadian dollars to is in a seat that had leg room. I hope someone from this airline looks into this because I am very dissatisfied with your customer service.
RouteHong Kong to Toronto
Date FlownOctober 2019

"cold and useless service"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | Hong Kong to Jakarta. If you wish to fly with your family or friends but don’t want to sit next to them during the flight, then book Cathay. They never put you in the seat next to the people who book the tickets together with you unless you want to pay more in advance (happened to me more than once). You will also get cold and useless service from the moment you check in and during your flight, until you land at your destination. Plus, the food also tastes bad. I hope I will never have to fly with Cathay Pacific ever again.
RouteHong Kong to Jakarta

"Great value flights"

Not Verified | London to Manila via Hong Kong. We booked our flights via this airline because it was the best value and good flight times. All four flights were excellent. Staff at all stages were friendly and helpful, the food was pretty good, plenty of leg room, and huge amount of choice of inflight entertainment. Not at any stage of our travels did we find an issue or find anything didn’t meet our expectations. Great value flights, would definitely use again and recommend to others, don’t be put off by the bad reviews. Cheap and cheerful.
RouteLondon to Manila via Hong Kong
Date FlownNovember 2019

"pleased with all aspects of their service"

Trip Verified | Adelaide to London via Hong Kong. My wife and I travel regulary with Cathay Pacific and have always been very pleased with all aspects of their service. We have tried other airlines but have always returned to cathay pacific. This August on our return trip we opted for a longer stop over in transit (12 hours) so we could take a visit to Hong Kong centre and have lunch etc. On our return to the airport we found the departure gates all closed as there were demonstrators all over the airport blocking departure gates. All the flights were showing cancelled on the information boards, so we just sat in a corner and waited for any news. Some of the demonstrators walked round giving people water and food, and apologised for the inconvenience being caused, they were not hostile at all. After several hours and no news that the flight would be going we decided to get the train back to the city and book in a hotel, as we was just about to go out the building my wife and was approached by two young ladies in Cathay pacific uniform and asked us if we were with CP, when we told them yes one of the ladies along with a young man without uniform chaperoned us to "area A" of the airport where there was another small departure gate. They spoke to some security people and we was slipped through the gate unbeknowing to demonstrators, on the plane only lost half hour. Were flying again this December with no qualms.
RouteAdelaide to London via Hong Kong