Cathay Pacific Airways

"high hopes dented significantly"

Not Verified | London to Auckland via Hong Kong. I am travelling to Auckland from LHR next February, 2 pax business class. Not cheap! Given the choice of two 5-star airlines I opted for Cathay Pacific over Singapore Airlines, a decision I’m quickly coming to regret. Just over 6 months before I’m due to fly, I receive an email cancelling our flights from LHR-HKG and from HKG-AKL. I have been offered replacement flights with the second leg now on an alternative 4-star airline and, to compound matters, a 10h 40m layover in HKG. Totally unacceptable in my view. What’s more, you should try getting in touch with the airline to discuss the matter. The phone number just puts you on hold and the chat function tries to be smart but is worse than useless. I had really high hopes for a great flying experience but these hopes have been dented significantly.
RouteLondon to Auckland via Hong Kong
Date FlownAugust 2022

"A pleasant flight"

(China)

Trip Verified | A pleasant flight. I traveled with them on the Airbus A330-300 from Chengdu to Hong Kong. A great flight, and excellent service in the air and on the ground, I have never been disappointed in Cathay Pacific.
AircraftA330-300
RouteChengdu to Hong Kong
Date FlownMay 2022

"refund/compensation policy makes no sense"

Trip Verified | All my flights from Canada to Vietnam were canceled a month or two before my trip so I called them to reschedule the flights. It took them forever to confirm my new flights and send me a new itinerary. I had to call them again 1-2 weeks before the trip to ask for an update and even then, not all of reservations were confirmed. My flight from Saskatoon to Vancouver apparently needed an update from the Hong Kong team who needed to connect with Air Canada. That again took extremely long. I had to call them almost every single day to ask about the flight just to get the same response of "Don't worry, you are assured to get on the flight" or "We still need to her back from the Hong Kong Team" or "We will call you as soon as we have any update". Up until 3 days before the trip, I did not receive a single call or email regarding the issue. On that day, I had to call them constantly for 5 hours, talking to numerous agents without being to make any progress. And, at the last minute, they informed me that the flight was no longer in their system. Apparently, Air Canada decided to prioritize their passengers and I couldn't get on the flight anymore despite having requested it months ago. This miscommunication between airlines COST ME $600 to book myself a last-minute flight with another airline (Westjet) from Saskatoon to Vancouver to catch other flights. That was the cheapest ticket I could find which unfortunately left a day early than my planned trip. So I had to stay at the Vancouver airport more than 24 hours. And since it was too sudden, I could not make any hotel reservations and had to sleep on a wooden bench in a food court where people talked throughout the night. Also, due to the small number of Cathay Pacific flights from Vancouver to anywhere else, there was not a single agent I could talk to in person. I couldn't even check in my luggage early and had to sleep with two 23-kg boxes and 2 extra carry ons. I was extremely disappointed with Cathay Pacific. Initially, I thought their customer service was good as they were nice and tried to book new flights for me when I requested. But, their inability to communicate with other airlines or even among their teams slowed everything to an extreme. To make it even worse, their refund/compensation policy makes no sense. They couldn't fly me out to Vancouver but they reused to give me a refund for that particular flight. They told me that if I wanted a refund, I would need to cancel the trip for a complete refund. Now, I don't know who I talk to about this issue to demand a fair explanation and compensation. I already filed a complaint but looking at how terrible their communication is, I don't think I would even hear back from them.
RouteSaskatoon to Vancouver
Date FlownJuly 2022

"This airline is completely irresponsible"

Trip Verified | I've had a terrible experience with Cathay. Our flight was from Phuket to Hong Kong and from there to JFK-NY. 2 weeks before our flight, Cathay cancelled the first leg of the flight without any reason. They did not provide any alternative solution and no rebooking options. I had to work with my travel agent on my own and find a flight on my own. After 5 days of discussions with them, I managed to get us rebooked for the first leg of the flight. 12 hours (!) before our departure I received an email from Cathay mentioning that they cancelled the second leg of the flight. Again no explanation given, no support, not even mentioning anything about refunding us. I was trying to contact them but it was impossible. I booked a new flight on my own and had to pay out of my pocket. This airline is completely irresponsible and not to be trusted. This was the last time I booked a flight with them and will never do so again. I also requested a refund for the seat that I had purchased on the cancelled flight and their response was that my refund is ineligible!
RoutePhuket to New York JFK via Hong Kong
Date FlownJanuary 2022

"Do not trust Cathay Pacific"

Not Verified | The flights that I booked for my daughter and fiancé were great, they got to the UK fine. Two days later they cancelled the flight from Hong Kong to Sydney. No explanation no alternative just cancelled, but not the flight from Heathrow to Hong Kong. So they get to Hong Kong and are left there. No communication, no assistance, just left. I have now paid for their return on a reliable airline. Do not trust Cathay Pacific.
RouteSydney to London via Hong Kong
Date FlownDecember 2021

"disappointed me a few times already"

Trip Verified | Cathay cancelled my mom’s flight and I have been calling them everyday for more than a week now and has been promised something a lot of times, but nothing. I have been very patient with each call. I’ve ask for a supervisor on the 3rd call and they promised they’ll call me back in 2 hours, Final call I was promised to get a confirmation email of approval in 24 hours, 3 days later, no emails, nothing! They have to get an approval to replace a shorter flight they canceled even if the replacement was way longer for a Senior. Now calling again for the approval because the flight is in 2 days and the replacement flight they offered is denied. I have to buy another flight for my mom and cancel part of the flight. Cathay disappointed me a few times already. Enough is enough.
RouteCebu to New York via Hong Kong
Date FlownAugust 2021

"told a refund will be processed"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | In November, an air travel bubble was supposed to open between Hong Kong and Singapore. I booked a flight for the 24th, was so excited as I have not been flying since March! Unfortunately, just a day before its opening, due to the worsening 4th wave in Hong Kong, they had to postpone the travel bubble until further notice next year. CX acted in a very timely and professional manner, stating clearly all the options, such as flight credits or full refund. I rang their number, and a friendly attendant answered my call in no time. I was told a refund will be processed in a few weeks time. I look forward to flying with them again in the near future.
RouteHong Kong to Singapore
Date FlownNovember 2020

"I have outlaid money twice to CX for nothing in return."

Trip Verified | Abysmal service from Cathay Pacific all around. Flight was changed, and cancelled four times, due to 'operational reasons'. I'm a patient person, I am also a pilot. I asked for a definition of 'operational reasons' and I was given nothing at all. I have a limited amount of time to get to the Philippines to see my daughter for her birthday, for the fifth rebook, CX could only offer me a date nearly 2 weeks after her birthday. Not good enough! More than most people, I know what this COVID situation is doing to the airline industry, but in this instance, I don't think they should take your money before your flight is absolutely confirmed. To add insult to injury, I had already booked a previous flight with Cathay, but through a dodgy travel agent, who told me that no changes were possible, even though I paid for a flexible ticket! So I have outlaid money twice to CX for nothing in return. Last time I contacted them, I was advised that my credit card would be refunded 'after seven working days'. It's been twelve days now, and today their staff are telling me 'up to five weeks'? They took the money off of me in seconds! To other possible customers out there, don't accept any excuses about COVID-19. Because if anything, less people are flying because of the virus, so they should be able to expedite your refund faster. Poor show Cathay; you have lost me as a customer.
AircraftA350 / A330
RoutePerth to Cebu via Hong Kong
Date FlownNovember 2020

"deterioration of business class food and wine"

Trip Verified | While there was a direct SYD-SFO option with UA, their price for business class was excessive and my track record with UA in flight service isn't great. So I opted for the indirect SYD-HKG-SFO routing at a much more palatable price that also helped with my oneworld status. The check-in staff in SYD were great and then immigration and security were empty and I was through to airside in no time. Of course, with essentially everything closed at SYD including all the lounges, there was nothing much to do. Boarding was swift and we were on our way to HKG in no time. Security at HKG was also empty however fortunately CX's Wing lounge was open. After the mandatory additional security checks at the gate, boarding for the SFO sector was also swift. I can only say that the Cathay crew on both sectors were outstanding, much like the days of yore when Cathay was one of the world's greatest airlines. Courteous, caring and personable, they seemed to want to go the extra mile to ensure everyone was as comfortable as possible. If this review were just about the inflight crew then they'd get top marks however what drags down the experience is the continued deterioration of the CX business class food and wine offering. Most of what I consumed was average at best although the most surprising thing was that a salad that was listed both as a supper option and then again as an "anytime" option, only had one serving loaded for maybe 15 business class passengers. The crew were mortified but could do nothing. I realise things are tough for CX at the moment but why tantalise premium passengers with an extensive menu if you can't deliver on it? Offer me less but make sure there's enough of everything to go beyond just one passenger and I'll be happy.
RouteSydney to San Francisco via Hong Kong
Date FlownSeptember 2020

"you certainly have won our admiration as customers"

Trip Verified | Full marks and much appreciation for a prompt and full refund of our unused flights due to Covid 19 from Paris to Hong Kong and Hong Kong to Sydney. We had a refund in our account just 12 days after we applied which was truly exceptional. So disappointed in our own airline Qantas from whom we are still waiting for a refund on a cancelled flight since first applying in March six months ago! We will definitely use Cathay Pacific in the future because of this experience and you certainly have won our admiration as customers. Thank You.
RouteParis to Sydney via Hong Kong