Avianca

"I will never use Avianca again"

Trip Verified | Worst customer service. I originally booked to go to El Salvador on August 4 and head back to MIA on 08/09 and purchased only 3 baggage, 2 for my husband (going and coming back) and only one for me (to go to El Salvador) which was purchased on May 19 a couple days later. But Avianca changed my flight so we had to change the new date to go to El Salvador to July 29. Once the changes were made, we noticed a week later none of the baggage were added. So I called customer services several times in one day because the call would always drop. After the 3rd attempt, they were able to find only the baggage that were purchased for my husband but not mine. They did an internal investigation and concluded it was never found. I sent them proof of purchase from my bank statement to an email they provided "[email protected]" and no response as of today. I called several times and there excuse to me to keep calling back because there system is currently down. I will never use Avianca again. I will say one thing positive, the cabin staff were very friendly and helpful and did provide beverages and sandwhich, no charge. But I do not recommend Avianca at all!
RouteMiami to El Salvador
Date FlownAugust 2022

"do not give me the full refund"

Trip Verified | Terrible service with AVIANCA, I bought some flights for my parents, they were canceled by the airline on 02/15/2021 and to this day they still do not give me the full refund. I sent a claim and they answered me about 2 months later with an advisor and then with another, in the end only the tax refund was made. I sent another claim and it took me another 2 months to see a response and they tell me that it has already been returned to me! and they send me a photo of what has been returned to me... being that I claimed the entire amount. Does it really seem like they don't even read my emails and I get these kinds of responses months later? They tell me that I should have done it a year after the flights and so I did, they have problems with their website and they never have access to the requests. The only thing I am requesting is the return of what I have already paid. Pesimo servicio con AVIANCA, compre para mis papas unos vuelos, fueron cancelados por parte de la aerolinea el 15/02/2021 y hasta el día de hoy siguen sin darme la totalidad del rembolso. Mandé un reclamo y me contestaron como 2 meses después con un asesor y luego con otro, al final solo se hizo la devolucion de los impuestos. Mandé otro reclamo y tardé otros 2 meses en ver respuesta y me contestan que ya se me devolvió! y me mandan foto de lo que se me ha devuelto... siendo que yo reclamaba la totalidad. De verdad parece que ni siquiera leen mis correos y recibo este tipo de respuestas meses después? Me dicen que debi de hacerlo un año despues de los vuelos y asi lo hice, tienen problemas con su web y nunca tienen acceso a las solicitudes. Lo unico que estoy solicitando es la devolución de lo que ya he pagado.
RouteMexico City to London via Bogota
Date FlownSeptember 2021

"charge you $120 for every single item"

Not Verified | Beware of the size of your personal carry on. At the counter they will pass the measurements but boarding the plane they become extremely picky, and charge you $120 for every single item; even kids toys. What a rip off.
RouteMiami to Cali

"no customer service"

Trip Verified | There are too many issues that my family of 7 had experienced across different legs of our family vacation. First, they will move your itinerary and charge you additional fees for luggage. They will also charge you an additional $150USD each way for purchasing an XS or S when you’re a foreigner and that it’s only reserved for nationals. Their website will not allow you to check in online and cause you to ask the ticket counter to print a boarding pass and charge you $15usd to print, they will stop you before you get on the gate while other passengers are waiting in line to board the plane holding you hostage and demanding that your fare does not include carry on luggage. We had to show them validation of payment before they were able to release us. When they change your flight itinerary and you can no longer travel due to the flight change, they will not give you a refund or offer an alternative because their call centre agents don’t pick up the phone. After waiting three hours to speak to an agent, they’d either hang up or transfer you to another agent that can speak English where you’d have to wait another three hours to get an agent. By the time you’re done waiting, you’re just so exhausted that you cut your losses and purchase a new ticket without seeking reimbursement. I can go on and on with over 25 different issues. Hidden costs, no customer service, lack of integrity, small print disclaimers on completely bs items, where we paid almost triple the original fair due to these hidden costs.
RouteGuayaquil to Bogota
Date FlownAugust 2022

"airline is absolutely horrible"

(Puerto Rico)

Not Verified | This airline is absolutely horrible. The website doesn’t work. The customer service is nonexistent. They don’t refund your money even when they say that your tickets are refundable. Don't bother trying to make a change in your itinerary. Is next to impossible to do so. They “lose“ your receipt of payment and supposedly don’t have them in the computer system. You can just an airline by how long the customer service line is at the airport. Avoid them at all cost. They don’t serve alcohol on their airplanes.
RouteMedellin to Bogota
Date FlownJuly 2022

"when you need help, they don't deliver"

Trip Verified | San Jose to Toronto. After purchasing 5 business class tickets for my family I am trying to change the an existing reservation online through the Avianca website, it doesn't work. Then picked up the phone to call their 'support center' and press the English - 2 option. Spoke with 2 different customers agents and while they tried to help, they can not change the existing reservation, which requires a transfer to the 'Expert'. The Expert doesn't speak English and transfer me back to the beginning of the call. This is Avianca customer services, when you need help, they don't deliver. I am 2 million mile road warrior and have status on major airlines, visited and worked in 42 countries. This is the worst support that I have ever experience. Why can you buy the air route on Kayak but the Avianca's customer service representatives don't have access to change your flight and "the Expert" refuses to find anyone that can help. Wasted 30 mins of my life with this airline. Suggest anyone to stay away from this airline. If I can give a rate below 0, I would.
RouteSan Jose to Toronto
Date FlownAugust 2022

"a bad experience due to delay"

Trip Verified | We flew to San Jose via El Salvador. Since the flight got delayed from San Francisco to El Salvador, we have to stay at the airport for the whole day at El Salvador. We got lounge access at El Salvador until the evening 6:00 p.m. The connecting flight was at 9:00 pm. We got the flight from El Salvador to San Jose. The flight landed at midnight. Since the delay in flights, our car rental was closed for the night so we have to stay at the airport for 7 hours. All hotel reservations were closed at that time. Since we have to stay at the airport. We got so tired. It was a bad experience due to delay in flight and there was no connecting flight available soon and no accommodation was offered at San Jose when it landed in the midnight.
RouteSan Francisco to San Jose via El Salvador
Date FlownJuly 2022

"my checked bag never made it"

Trip Verified | I had a connecting flight in Bogota to Washington D.C with an hour and 15 minutes layover. However, immigration line extremely long and painfully slow at 7 am. There was no airport employee to be found and I ended up cutting the line myself because I knew I was going to cut it very close to my 7:50 am flight. I ran to my gate to find out they plane had already departed (30 mins before departure time) and there were a dozen other passengers who were in my exact same shoes. After running around the airport for an hour trying to speak to someone, they finally directed us back out to the counter where they had told us the next flight out was the following day, exact time. They gave us hotel, lunch, & dinner. Okay, no biggie it was Saturday I was very frustrated but at least it was accommodated. Waited 3 hours at the hotel to finally be ready and crashed. The following day I get up nice and early and board my plane and flew home to D.C to find my checked bag never made it. Looked like I wasn't the only one with the issue because there were 3 other individuals barking at the employee at the same time. They said IF they find it they would ship it to my address (3 hours away). 5 days later I get a suitcase that does not belong to me. It does not describe anything that was handwritten on the report (color, size, locks, etc.) and it even had another name on the handle tag. I am beyond myself at this point that my luggage is still lost and they sent me what is not mine. Honestly, this as been the worst customer service/flying experience of my life. I will never fly with Avianca again. When you call, you get transferred 10 times no one answers your question. They make you file claims online that most likely will never get resolved. All my keepsakes from the wedding are irreplaceable. All the new pieces of clothing and items I had purchased are probably lost gone as well if someone didn't steal them yet. I have no updated via email, text, phone call - utterly irresponsible of the airline.
RouteCartagena to Washington via Bogota

"poor customer service"

Trip Verified | Heartless, money-grabbing policies and poor customer service. I understand you can put things in writing where people purchasing economy airfare relinquish their ability to reschedule their flight without fees, but you’d think that a $422 one-way 6-hour flight pre-purchased 1.5 months ahead of time, made by someone who’s flown with you before, who has had a family emergency where their father had a heart attack and is undergoing life-saving surgery, you would morally think charging them $962 dollars in penalties to reschedule their flight to same day is a little heartless and unethical, when there were open economy seats available on 3 flights leaving that same day. But no, I have to pay almost $1,000 in fees and penalties to upgrade myself to first class just to be able to change my flight since you treat S and XS ticket holders like trash. Icing on the cake is that you can clearly see on Google flights that it would only cost $600 for a one-way ticket if I’d wait 2 days to fly out. Their website is not user friendly, the customer hotline was very unhelpful, and I was told the supervisor didn’t have time to talk to me or there wasn't one available. My experience was similar when talking to the customer service department at the Managua Airport in Nicaragua and that a manager was unavailable. I was obviously pretty stressed and as a non-native Spanish speaker it was difficult to try and explain my situation in Spanish, but even when a bilingual American tried to help me they still weren’t willing to budge. Lastly their staff seems to be completely incompetent telling me I need to pay them $1200, when I can clearly do it online and get a result of $962 (still ridiculous). I highly recommend you choose another airline instead who would understand an emergency situation like this and not make it about squeezing you for over 300% of your original ticket price for a same-day flight.
RouteNicaragua to San Francisco via San Salvador
Date FlownJuly 2022

"This is the most stressed I’ve ever been for a flight"

Trip Verified | This is one of the worst airline experiences ever, on the way to Bogotá and on the way back home to Chicago. I thought TAP Air Portugal was terrible, never fly with them either if you can help it, but Avianca definitely takes the crown for the most asinine airline I’ve ever had to fly with, and I fly at least 12+ times per year. We booked our tickets directly with Avianca over the phone with a voucher that we had from a trip that was cancelled due to the pandemic. Without making it clear over the phone or notifying us, they made our return flight from Bogota to Washington Dulles airport and had us go 1 hour away to Washington Reagan airport to connect to our flight back home to Chicago O’Hare. We had to run all the way to get to customs in time - did I mention I’m disabled? Then, we had to take a $50 Lyft all the way to Reagan airport, I’m writing this review in the Lyft as we speak. After being given the run-around by United (who our connecting flight is with) & Avianca ticketing agents at the counters, we only have 1.5 hours to make it to Reagan, check-in &, drop off our luggage, make it through security, and get to our gate. This is the most stressed I’ve ever been for a flight. Keeping my fingers crossed we make it to the gate in time. Next time, I will spend the extra money to fly with Delta or another slightly more reliable airline.
RouteBogota El Dorado to Chicago O’Hare via Washington Dulles