Avianca

"Frustrated and disappointed"

Not Verified | Bogota to La Paz. Frustrated and disappointed at Avianca's cancellation. I was flying from Paris to Bolivia, connecting thru Frankfurt and Bogota. My first flights were with Lufthansa and last one with Avianca. I took with this airline because it is part of Star Alliance and wanted a streamlined process while getting some miles. I had a long day as Paris was on strike and almost missed my flights, but LH managed to take us to our destinations. When I reach BOG for my last flight, I was surprised to see the cancelled flight. This is frustrating for me as I will be spending less than a week with my family in Bolivia and taking away a day from me means significantly. I'll still give them a chance in the future as I had high views on this airline, but it is starting to change and I hope they can keep up with the brand name and airline alliance reputation. I was given with a new ticket and a hotel voucher ... but I can't give them credit for that as that's what they are supposed to do. This compensation means nothing as reaching my destination on time was more important.
RouteBogota to La Paz
Date FlownDecember 2019

"never fly with Avianca again"

(Sweden)

Not Verified | Cusco to Rio de janeiro via Lima. Because whats happened in Bolivia and that my governmnet warned me from going there I had to cancel the Lima to La Pas part. The warning came just the day before my trip and I could not get in contact with them until I was in Lima. I went to the counter in Lima and ask If there was any problem to do that, they said Its no problem and I can use this part of the trip within a year. This morning when I came to the airport they could not find my booking and they could not help me in the counter at all, had to ask the tourist office to help me call them, and after 2 hours telephone queue I got to know that they canceled my ticket and the only thing they could to is to help me to write a complain about that they didn't inform me about this. It would take 7 days before I would get any answer and maybe a new ticket. I have another flight from Rio tomorrow evening so had to book a new ticket and pay 600 euro. I would never fly with Avianca again.
RouteCusco to Rio de janeiro via Lima

"avoid at all cost"

Not Verified | London to Lima via Bogota. Cancelled our flight 1 day before departure. Delayed our flight out to Bogota but didn't update our connection flight to Lima. Struggled to get a refund confirmed, even after getting a refund request submitted we've been told to wait indefinitely until they process it. They don't know how long this will take! Ridiculous. We've then had to buy new flights last minute to get to Lima on time to make sure our itinerary isn't disrupted. Original flight cost £808 for two people. New flights have now cost us £1,450 for two people and we don't even know when we'll get our original flight refund back! Terrible service, avoid at all cost.
RouteLondon to Lima via Bogota
Date FlownNovember 2019

"The flight got cancelled"

Trip Verified | Bogota to Cartagena. The flight got cancelled due to "weather conditions", while we were informed, we could see the viva colombia take off to Cartagena in the Back through the nice glass of the airport. After this cancellation by higher forces, we were put on hold and finally booked to a flight 4 hours later. The flight was packed and on top we lost the business class status and had not only to travel Economy, furthermore we got a middle seat each of us, one in the left, one in the right row of the seats. When I asked for a compensation due to the loss of the status I was told that it was not possible but at the same time we would be charged an additional fee, cause the switch to another flight was considered a change of the reservation which we would need to pay for. I feel frauded, we did not even get a better meal or anything as a compensation. So we travelled economy for business class price, without being able to choose seats, sit next to each other, or even have any of the benefits other business class passengers would get on the flight. Ground personnel seemed rather helpless and overwhelmed with the situation, even unable (or unwilling) to at least provide us a contact, where we could address our claims to in the aftermath. They only advised us, to use the contact function on their webpage, which I tried, but did not function (the link was dead) Concerning the flight itself, the seats were normal, the inflight entertainment in my seat was broken. All Avianca employees were extraordinary polite and nice but in the same level overwhelmed and unable to provide useful information or solutions.
RouteBogota to Cartagena
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"customer support shockingly bad"

Trip Verified | I was traveling in Colombia and have booked multiples of internal and international flights and a number of things happened in the space of 4 weeks with this particular airline. I booked internal flights and international flights where I’ve a ‘confirmation email’ that clearly states that payment was successful. On the day of the flight, my details did not appear and they couldn’t care less. They even say, book a different airline (one of their competitors). They are meant to be premium economy and part of Star alliance but their service isn’t up to scratch. The budget airline Viva gave me fantastic service and even helped me quickly and efficiently. So if you’re a foreigner, stay less than 60 days and flying out of the country. You can request to be refunded the airport tax at check in. Which I did, I have a transaction reference and they said it will go back on my card. It didn’t so I reached out to customer service who basically told me a spiral of lies including ‘my card company is withholding the transaction’ and tried to fob me off. I still insisted and they said they can’t refund me as that has to be done on ground level. But I requested this and it’s Avianca as a company responsibility to ensure my refund is processed. It went back and forth - still ongoing but they are saying they can’t give it me even though I did what I needed to do which was request it at check in. So this lies with aviancas staff mistakes and they won’t accept or resolve this. They’ve changed my flight times without telling me which meant I almost missed my flight. Customer service both on ground level and customer support via emails are shockingly bad. Avoid them and use other airlines like Latam and Viva Air - at least the budget airline treats you better than this fake premium economy.
RouteMedellin to Rio via Lima
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"I don't recommend this airline"

Not Verified | Washington to El Salvador. Both of my husband's flights were delayed, when flying to El Salvador and when flying back to Washington, the flight was delayed by 9 hours going to El Salvador and 4 hours coming back to Washington! In both times the reason according to them was because of technical problems, which I don't believe. I don't recommend this airline
RouteWashington to El Salvador

Avianca customer review

(Chile)

Trip Verified | More than 4 months ago we bought plane tickets to fly to Havana from Santiago. The original date was November 16 and return on the 23rd of the same month. We bought for that date because we will participate in a congress. We called to Avianca November 5th and they said to us that they change our ticket unilaterally, the new date is November 17 and returns on the 22nd on the same month. I explained to them that this date did not serve me since I lost two days of course and two days of hotel but they were not able to offer me any solution besides that they do not want to reimburse the money thay we spend for those two days me for the hotel and the course.
RouteSantiago to Havana

"cancelled our flight"

Trip Verified | Washington to San Salvador. Avianca cancelled our flight no email nothing, even the staff at the front of Avianca say "we just found out now". Also when calling to reschedule I got hung up three times before getting thru then they have an English line but waited 20 min and still got hung up on finally get someone on the phone and did even correct my ticket correctly, then asked for a discount because this is a huge inconvenience and the guy didn't even care. Also got shorted and day and still for the same price ? does not make any sense.
RouteWashington to San Salvador
Date FlownNovember 2019

"delayed our flight constantly"

Trip Verified | Cusco to Lima. Definitely do not recommend flying with Avianca. They delayed our flight constantly for 6 hours, giving us different excuses. Several of us had connecting flights and needed to know if we had to find alternatives, but were told that a plane would be coming soon. The supervisor was conveniently in a meeting during most of this. When several people asked for a refund, they were told that it would not be possible. When we asked if there was any way they could help us by allowing us to fly on another flight or asking another airline for assistance, they said there was nothing they could do. We were given coupons for a free meal while we waited to a small cafe, which ran out of food quickly and ended up resorting to bread with a slice of meat. When I was finally home, I filed 2 complaints because the first time the person on the phone didn't file it correctly. They are willing to give me $22 in credit or some miles with them. That's pretty petty I'd say. I won't ever fly with them again and I would encourage others to avoid them as well.
RouteCusco to Lima
Date FlownAugust 2019

"Very unreliable airline"

Trip Verified | Washington to Managua via El Salvador. Both when flying to Nicaragua and flying back home to Washington the flight was delayed by 5 hours-6 hours each time in El Salvador! The first time flying to Nicaragua no reason was given for the delay other than the flight was canceled. The second time was due to a “delay”. Very unreliable airline and my understanding talking with others is that this is very common.
RouteWashington to Managua via El Salvador