Avianca

"supervisor was very arrogant and dismissive"

By far the most horrible experience I've had, supervisor was very arrogant and dismissive. We where told to contact customer service to see what we could do after finding out that my 1yr old daughter was unable to fly because she needed a PCR covid test yet no where in the terms and conditions stated such!
RouteNew York to San Salvador
Date FlownSeptember 2021

"$600 was for a cancelation fee"

Not Verified | Bought 2 tickets totaling $1,064 flying in April. Postponed them to Sept 2021 because of Covid in my family around those days. Situation changed so I sent for cancelation and refund in April. I June they finally refunded $464 claiming that $600 was for a cancelation fee. This has to be illegal and they must be exposed! I've called them several time but have been hung up. Literally, the CS person (twice) have told me they can't escalate to supervisor and hang up. They don't realize that it takes North of 2 hours (136 minutes to be exact) of being on hold before a representative answers the phone. Again, they kept $600 out of a set of tickets worth $1,064 that was canceled 5 months before the flight. This has to be the worst CS case I've ever encountered.
RouteMiami to Nicaragua
Date FlownMarch 2021

"turned away at ticket counter"

Trip Verified | Was turned away at ticket counter due to my ticket being suspended. No advance notice was given of this and no one at the airport showed even a remote interest in helping me. They told me to call Avianca to deal with the issue. 24 hours later & numerous hours of calls Avianca explained to me that my bank would not release the payment even after I provided written confirmation from the bank that funds had been released and posted. They then informed me it would be impossible for me to book another flight because the previous flight had been suspended. My 36 hour grace period of Covid test viability had lapsed and that I should try another airline or a travel Agent meanwhile. It took 12 hours to just to get someone to talk to me about a solution to my travel situation. They have zero interest in helping fix the situation, have terrible customer service, are only I interested in pointing the finger, have no managers available even after a days worth of phone calls emails, filed complaints etc and are totally clueless.
RouteLos Angeles to Managua via San Salvador
Date FlownAugust 2021

"they never responded"

Trip Verified | On June 14 I flew from Sfo to Gua, I arrived at airport over 1hr 40 minutes before the flight time when I was in the line a lady (from Avianca) told me that the flight was closed and I needed to call a 1800 number to change my flight because it was my fault since they require to be at airport 3 hours before departure. I called that number waited over 30 minutes finally someone answer to tell me they need to transfer me to another department. I went back inside thank goodness there were electronic kiosk where I could get my ticket without any problem but I couldn’t register my bag so I flew without luggage thanks to this lady that closed the flight for 3 people including me just because there were 3 people family members of one guy of Avianca's crew, They still registered one lady that arrived 40 minutes later than me, and registered those 3 family members of that guy who where not paying a penny for their flight and didn’t care about us who were paying for our flight. I filled a claim and they never responded.
RouteSan Francisco to San Salvador
Date FlownJune 2021

"They make mistakes and don’t own up to them/fix anything"

Not Verified | My parents bought flights from DC with a layover in El Salvador with a final destination to Honduras. My sister unfortunately couldn’t join anymore like originally planned so we postponed her flight. Day of the flight, our flights are nowhere to be found because they cancelled everyone’s flight. They rebook us for the next day at 4am to make our layover flight so we could use the same COVID test. When we get there at 2am, one of our names isn’t on the ticket, the name of my sister who isn't flying is. However, the itinerary they sent via email has the correct names. They’re not able to make the change for whatever reason and we lose our flights again and we can’t travel any time later because our COVID exam isn’t valid anymore. They make mistakes and don’t own up to them/fix anything.
RouteWashington DC to Honduras
Date FlownJune 2021

"Complete lack of customer oriented service"

Not Verified | Complete lack of customer oriented service. The check-in personnel were of no help to many travelers (including myself) who were told at the last minute an additional form was necessary to travel. The form was not made available in hard-copy and we were simply told to go to the Avianca website to search for the needed form. We were also informed we would not be able to board without the form. Everyone of the check-in personnel were useless. My wife managed to convince the agent that checked us in to let us go to the gate without the form and, as we suspected, the gate agent said we could simply obtain the form once we arrived at our destination! This after spending one hour on our telephones trying to find the form so that we would be allowed by the check-in agent to proceed to the gate. I am appalled by the complete lack of customer service exhibited that day by Avianca. My experience was sufficient for me to decide to not fly with them again.
RouteGuatemala to Tegucigalpa
Date FlownJune 2021

"I still have had no response"

Trip Verified | Avianca is hands down the worst airline I've ever flown with. If you want to talk to them, well too bad, no one gets to talk to them. After being on hold for hours, I spoke to a customer service rep, who hung up on me after I asked for a voucher for my flight. Costa Rica got shut down because of COVID, and they wouldn't even consider just giving me a voucher or rescheduling my flight. I tried chatting with these guys, they had an 8-hour wait limit, I sent in a voucher form, to which they said they would respond in 20 days, I still have had no response.
RouteSalt Lake City to San Jose
Date FlownJune 2021

"Absolutely frustrating trying to communicate with this Airline"

Not Verified | Absolutely horrible customer service. Four days in a row trying to make a change to my ticket and the answer was always “the system is down”, waiting time on ‎WhatsApp for at least 8 hours and on the phone for 45 minutes, once I went to 80 minutes. All that they have to say is “it’s not our fault”, “call back after 5 hours”, “Sorry we cannot help this time”. Absolutely frustrating trying to communicate with this airline. If you can avoid it please do so. Otherwise get ready to get forgotten by them in case you have trouble with your tickets
RouteManagua to Colombia
Date FlownMay 2021

"I hope I never have to use Avianca again"

Trip Verified | I have never in my life wasted so much time with an Airline Customer Service. Our flight was cancelled due to the pandemic. In order to change or use the voucher I spent hours. Called but waiting time was 85 minutes. Via Whatsapp 8 hours response time. Then I spent about from 1.40 pm to 3.48 getting my voucher to be applied to a new airfare through an agent via whatsapp! That's just ridiculous. I hope I never have to use Avianca again.
RouteSan Salvador to Dallas
Date FlownSeptember 2020

"miserable customer service"

Trip Verified | The crew on Avianca planes must think they are better than the customers they are supposed to serve, what an arrogant and lazy bunch. After taking off they came around handing out some water bottles and then never walked through the plane until before arriving, some 5 hours later. Not even if you pressed the call bottom. All sitting on their seats at the back or front of the plane. The Toilets on the Plane were just filthy, almost unusable! I told one of them about it but he never looked up at me but kept reading. I think I should have made a complaint to the Authorities about these unsanitary conditions especially now during the health crisis. But this starts already on the ground, there is no number you can call, the only one to call is in Bogota and you need to call them by WhatsApp. What a miserable customer service this airline has.
RouteSan Salvador to Los Angeles