American Airlines

"What a terrible experience"

Not Verified | What a terrible experience. We had our flight cancelled yesterday and had to reschedule a new flight. We are now in Charlotte, after the first leg of our new flight. Our flight was delayed until 12:30 am. Told at 12 am it is now cancelled and we are directed to a line of 100 people. We were lectured in the plane about being kind to the flight attendants but when I just asked an agent if she would help she rudely pointed me to the 100 person line. Also not sure why it’s not okay for customers to be upset but American agents can be rude when they have cancelled your flights and hugely inconvenienced the customer? I’ve got an idea! Why don’t the airlines refund money when they cancel the flight and let you decide what to do with it? Why don’t they provide the service promised? Why don’t they hire people with customer service skills? Then perhaps people won’t be frustrated with them. Hmmmm. Now we have a flight tomorrow going from Pittsburg to DC and to Memphis! It’s an important family event so we’re going but wow.
RouteLos Angeles to Memphis via Charlotte
Date FlownAugust 2022

"requested a refund and was denied"

Trip Verified | Scheduled a flight for my college commencement ceremony in November 2022. After unexpected expenses I cancelled the flights. Nowhere did it say they were nonrefundable. I requested a refund and was denied. I called in to see if I could explain it all and the rep assured me this happens all the time and not to worry. Even gave me refund processing times. But it was denied again. They just keep implying I'm out of luck. They gave me a flight credit but I explained that I won't be able to use them before they expire and that I booked this for a one-time event. I filed a case with BBB and they sent the same canned response. They won't even listen. I will be sure to never book with them again. EVER!
RouteColumbus to Manchester via Washington
Date FlownAugust 2022

"the worst travel experience"

Trip Verified | Worst trip ever. Flight going was delayed so I missed my connecting flight and ended up at there airport for 9 hrs. Flight back was canceled and rescheduled. I missed my connecting flight again for another excuse. It's been excuse after excuse as to all the delays and cancelled flights. I will never fly American Airlines again. It has been the worst travel experience I have ever had.
RouteOmaha to Sarasota
Date FlownAugust 2022

"choose a different airline"

Trip Verified | Save yourself the massive headache and choose a different airline, even if it means paying slightly more. Constant delays and the staff openly lies to customers to de-escalate mounting frustrations. My first flight was from Dallas- Fort Worth International to Charlotte Douglas International. With a nearly full plane, we were stranded on the tarmac for over an hour because of a “last minute change” with the pilot, leaving us without a captain for the trip. The issue was eventually remedied by convincing an inbound pilot to fly our trip immediately following his own. This caused a significant number of passengers to miss connecting flights in Charlotte. I had a two hour layover before my last leg to Raleigh Durham International. Yet again, waiting at the gate for over an hour because the plane was late for arrival. The announcement for the delay came well after the plane was initially supposed to start boarding and customers were simply kept in the dark. Upon my return flight home back to Dallas, I was lucky enough to get a direct flight. And for a third time, the plane is delayed for “minor maintenance issues” but the announcement yet again came 20 mins after the flight was staged to board. All in all, I was an hour and a half late for return to my destination. I am a very understanding person and realize that unforeseen circumstances occasionally arise which may cause a delay to travel plans. I expect these things to happen and plan accordingly. However, these occurrences should be rare. A 20% delay rating is completely unacceptable for a major airline. They no longer care about customer satisfaction and pad your travel plans with a few extra hours of inconvenience if you do happen to choose this airline. No longer a reputable airline and won’t waste my money again.
RouteRaleigh Durham to Dallas
Date FlownAugust 2022

"pick a different airline"

Trip Verified | If I could give them zero I would. Firstly, we have had delay on delay because they did not have enough staffing. Secondly, the staff openly lies to customers to de-escalate the situation. After our first delay in Raleigh the customer service rep assured us that we can have it communicated in Dallas that we would be able to announce a seat change. We arrive at Dallas and ask the AA rep to notify other passengers of other open seat options where she said “unfortunately our flight is full”. As the airplane took off, there were a significant amount of empty seats. Did I also mention when we flew into Raleigh they damaged out luggage by leaving it out in the rain for at least 15 minutes. I know this is a long review but save yourselves the grief of flying American and pick a different airline.
RouteRaleigh to Santa Ana via Dallas
Date FlownAugust 2022

"won't travel again with this company"

Not Verified | Got a part of my travel cancelled, and I had to pay myself for a ticket to arrive at the destination Out of nowhere I receive two e-mail telling me that my flight has been modified. I call them and, after 3000 robot question on the phone, it tells me that they will call me back. Once they call me back, I ask them for a French representative, the guy barely spoke French and I had to tell him my reservation number in English because he was confusing every letter. He tells me that my flight from London to Geneva was cancelled (how was I supposed to know if I didn't call them?) and he could only modify my ticket in order to delay it for 3 days. So I am telling him that I booked my flight on those initial date because I have to be in Geneva for an important meeting and he replies 'We aren't supposed to know that you have a meeting this day" and start shouting without letting me speak. I ask him for his manager (no, I'm usually not a Karen but this was too much) and his manager tells me the same thing. So I started to calmly recapitulate the situation and ask her : if I bought a ticket on hardly-editable dates, is it on my charge to pay if my flight got modified ? And guess what, she just hang up on me without answering or anything. I won't travel again with this company and won't recommend it to anybody. Usually, I don't bother writing those kind of review but this was too much. My friend who came to visit me also had the same experience as me.
RouteLong Beach to Geneva via Phoenix /London
Date FlownAugust 2022

"worst over-the-phone customer service"

Not Verified | Absolutely worst over-the-phone customer service. After being on hold of 1.5 hours, I was greeted by a lady who put me on hold to check out some flights I was curious about. After being on hold, someone took me off hold, and I heard laughing in the background without anyone answering the phone. Eventually they hung up the phone and the 2 hours while on hold was a waste. Now
Date FlownAugust 2022

"AA has slid much further than other companies"

Not Verified | We fly annually to Las Vegas and shop for good tickets in February. This year, tickets were sky high in Feb and we paid over $800 each for them. As time got closer to leaving, prices dropped on that flight to under $400 each. I called the airline to see if we could cancel the old tickets and reissue for less. No is all I was told. Then, we get our tickets at the airport and they have split apart my wife an I into separate rows. I was able to switch the seats around on the CLT to LAS and pay a premium for legroom. That was the only way we could sit together. I am 64, have traveled the world for business and pleasure very often in my career and this is the first time the airline separated us. We get our boarding pass at the curbside check in in Las Vegas and go to our gate. We happened to look at the tickets and we were three rows apart again. I went to the desk and they just shrugged it off as the computer picks the seats. Again, if we paid more to upgrade our seat we could sit together. By the way, I always tip the sky cap $5 to check my bags curbside and get my boarding pass. The man there had no problem accepting my tip and then he asked if I was paying for the curbside service with the same card I was using for the bag. Oh yeah, there is a sign there that they are charging a $3 per bag service fee for curbside baggage handling. We did upgrade to sit together and our connecting flight in Charlotte NC got delayed twice. We were to be home by 11pm but instead we got home at 1:30 am and had to get up for work in the morning. The insult to inury was that only one of the two bags we checked made it to our final destination. They told me they would deliver to my house before noon the next day and that was fine as we had to be at work at noon. They did not come, we went to work and come home to find our bag sitting in front of our house in the rain. We have all suffered thru COVID but AA has slid much further than other companies.
RouteWilkes-Barre to Charlotte via Las Vegas

"Very frustrated"

Not Verified | Very frustrated. They cancelled the flight due to weather (rain). Then They reschedule me on a flight by standby couldn’t get on the flight because they overbooked it. Then I had to go to a different city then I was originally booked to go to and they sent my luggage to that airport instead of the airport I landed in. I even went to customer service and asked to make sure my bags got to the right destination and basically they just tell you what ever to get you out of there face. I was told not to worry and it will get done and it didn’t. I understand that the industry is in trying times but they can do better.
RouteDenver to Huntington
Date FlownAugust 2022

"AA is getting worse day by day"

Not Verified | This is the worst experience, they cancel my early flight last minute without any excuses. Then rebooked me next day very late hours. I was late for my event plus the new flight was delayed and at the airport they were unorganized that the door to be open took forever. AA is getting worse day by day.
AircraftE175