American Airlines

"worst airline I’ve flown"

Trip Verified | Miami to Hartford. I’ve been flying 3-5 times per year for over 17 yrs and American Airlines is by far the worst airline I’ve flown. If you buy economy tickets with your significant other they can sit you in row 5 and your wife in row 9. If you ask to be sat together because you have never had that issue with any other airline they will charge $56 to sit you together. Is almost like they go out of their way to make your experience as miserable as possible.
RouteMiami to Hartford

"horrible customer service"

Trip Verified | Madrid to San Francisco via Dallas Ft Worth. On 12/2/19, my 9 yo daughter was traveling from Madrid>DFW>SFO. I get a call at 11pm PST stating that she cannot check in due to the unaccompanied minor fee not being paid. When I booked this flight it was mandatory that both unaccompanied minor fees were paid for both ways. While on the phone with the agent she confirmed both ways were paid. Unfortunately when I was sent my trip confirmation unaccompanied minor doesn’t show up on that. After receiving the phone call I immediately called the airline to fix this problem and was told that somehow the system must have dropped the unaccompanied minor for the trip back. At that time I offered to pay this fee and was told that they could not take my payment over the phone! So here I have my 9yo daughter in Spain and I can’t pay for her to get here. I suggested that this fee be waived since this was American Airlines fault, the agent also mentioned that should could not do this as well. Thank god a stranger ended up paying for her unaccompanied minor fee at the gate in Spain. If this very generous person didn’t take care of this my child would be stuck alone in a foreign country. My daughter gets to DFW at 1:35PM. Her next flight is scheduled to leave DFW at 4:49. After 13 delays the new time to depart is 11:05PM. 10 hours she is sitting in the airport and during this time she was not in the unaccompanied minor room, they had her sitting in the gate area alone. I had called the gate multiple times to make sure she was ok and that someone there had fed her. I was told she was fed a cookie, chips and some soda, she was NOT fed a hot meal. I then asked where she was and was told she was asleep in a chair next to the gate! My 9yo was left in the main area and not in the unaccompanied minor room where she should have been. At this point I finally get a hold of a manager who apologized for everything and took my daughter to get a hot meal and back to the UM room. (7 hours too late). In addition my daughter was mingling with people at the gate and even ate with some random family. Coco was the only amazing thing about this trip home for my daughter. No one called me to update me, no one tried to get this 9yo on another flight to another nearby airport. I looked up the other flights and plenty went out before flight 2393 I am beyond livid . Where in American Airlines mind is any of this ok. You put my child in great danger. I will never fly your airline again and will make sure others are aware of the horrible customer service with your airlines. I did receive a voucher for the UM service, however I would like a full refund.
RouteMadrid to San Francisco via Dallas Ft Worth

"Ruined my vacation"

Trip Verified | Chicago to Cancun. Do not fly American Airlines. Second time in a row my baggage didn’t make it to my destination. They promised me it would be delivered within 24 hrs and here I am 24 hrs later with no bag and no update from them. Tried calling and representative didn’t speak English. Ruined my vacation.
RouteChicago to Cancun
Date FlownDecember 2019

"Would not recommend American"

Not Verified | Newark to Peoria via Chicago. Delayed out of Newark (due to weather, understandable). While boarding we were told the over head bins were full and our carry-ons now HAD to be checked. But could not be answered and confirmed as to what would happen to our suitcases if we missed our connection or switched flights. Once on board we noticed the back half the plane was hardly full and there was plenty of space for our bags. Once arrived in O'Hare we had time to make our connection. We were not allowed to deplane for over 25 mins. We ran across the terminal, once arrived at the gate of our flight home we were told the plane left, we missed it. We were sent down to customer service, there we were told our flight was gone and offered to be placed on a flight to Bloomington (55 mins away from where we live) or we had to wait until the next day to be sent to Peoria. We triple checked with the man that our luggage would be sent with us on our plane. He said he put a note confirming our bags would follow, if not file a claim. While boarding for the Bloomington flight, I received text alerts informing me my original flight home has been delayed and new departure time is at 10 pm. So our flight was still in Chicago and we were being sent to a different city for NO REASON! Top it off, once we arrived in Bloomington only 1 of 3 bags made it and of course NO ONE working can be found anywhere to make a claim. We track down a luggage worker and they search the numbers, our bags were sent to the Peoria flight scheduled for the next day! Not only did we have to schedule a different ride to take us home 1 hr at midnight, when our flight home that we "missed" arrived in Peoria at 11pm. Now we have to take off work the next day to go pick up our luggage from the Peoria airport because they sent it to the wrong flight! Worst part, throughout this process we couldn't find anyone to help us and if we did they didn't/ couldn't give us actual answers! Would not recommend American Airlines!
RouteNewark to Peoria via Chicago
Date FlownDecember 2019

"our flight was canceled"

Trip Verified | San Antonio to San Juan via Miami. Date of return flight on American Airlines 11/14/19, our flight was canceled which caused me to miss a court hearing resulting in us having to pay additional to our attorney. Our first night in our hotel we had no water or ac and were told to us the restroom in the restaurant. We will never use Expedia or American Airlines ever again!
RouteSan Antonio to San Juan via Miami

"denied any responsibility"

Trip Verified | Philadelphia to Denver. My husband and I were returning from Italy and had a 6 hr layover in Philadelphia. When we boarded the plane at 1900 our flight was delayed for 2 hours. The pilot told us to get off and we would board again about 1/2 hour. I noticed a large line forming in front of customer service and noticed an email informing me our flight had been cancelled. My husband got in line. I got on the phone to try to get us tickets. After 45 min on hold, I reached a representative. She could not find a departing flight available from Philadelphia for days but told me if we could get to Baltimore by 6am there was a flight leaving at 8 am. We agreed and just as she was getting our information the call was interrupted by an automated message asking if I would work with that representative again. I was then thanked and the call was ended without tickets. I called AA again while I was in line and in 45 min I was on the line again with a representative. I explained that my husband had gotten frustrated with what had become over a two-hour wait to get a flight home and had purchased a returning flight through Delta Airlines the next morning. I asked her if she could book us on a different airline and she said that there were no flights available. I asked her if we should cancel the flights that we have booked through Delta so that she could book those flights through Delta for us and she said there was no way that she could guarantee that she could get those tickets if we canceled them and that we should just keep those tickets and get a refund on those Delta tickets from AA. I asked her if she could get us a hotel. She said there was really nothing else she could do. As we were exiting the terminal to get our checked bags visiting with some of the other passengers we were told that they were given hotel vouchers for a nearby hotel. We decided to return to the customer service people and see if we could get a room as well but no one was there. When we returned to Denver I contacted customer service who told me that I needed to reach out to refunds. Refunds told me that since I had booked my flight through Iberia and my husband had booked his flight through British Airways that we would need to contact them. My husband and I contacted above-mentioned airways who emailed us back denying any responsibility and putting the responsibility back on American Airlines. I contacted American Airlines again and they said that we should contact cheap o air where we had originally booked the flights. We contacted cheapo air and they denied any responsibility as it was American Airlines problem. I reached out to refunds again and was told that I needed to contact customer service. I contacted customer service and spoke with a woman who said that she would get this resolved and contact us within two days. She never returned our call and I could not reach her with just her first name when I called back. I was told again that I had contacted the wrong department and that I needed to reach out to refunds. I probably have close to 30 hours into trying to resolve this problem. I am not quite sure where to turn at this point. It is highly unlikely that I will ever choose to fly on American Airlines again.
RoutePhiladelphia to Denver
Date FlownJune 2019

"now I am stuck in a hotel"

Not Verified | Buffalo to Cancun via Philadelphia. After being almost a 2hr delay, with absolutely not weather events and the 35mins circling the sky to land in Philadelphia. My wife and I have upgraded seats. Had 5mins to get through customs and heard the flight to Buffalo, NY was about to close the gates. After running with my military service connected knee and back conditions. And after asking for a ride by an attendant, which we were denied, made to the gate on time. However, the airlines sold our seats to someone else, even though we made it on time. The ticket agents need to have a bit of customer service training. They could not have been more ignorant, especially when I attempted to get it straightened out. I was given a the neck jerk and the hand, while she took our tickets and would give me their names. So, now I am stuck in a hotel when I should be home already. Not only that, the Homeland Security act has given these folks the audacity the act like law enforcement officers. I worked for custom and immigrations for many yrs and have never experienced the ignorant folks you have working for you. I will never fly with American Airlines again.
RouteBuffalo to Cancun via Philadelphia

"Extremely disappointed"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Boston via Philadelphia. Extremely disappointed, mainly by the crew. When we were first at the gate, the gate agent made us put our bags in the bag sizer to check if they fit, which was fine. However we had 2 of the same exact suitcase, one of which had a backpack and jacket on top. We briefly explained that it was the same suitcase and it would be too much of a hassle to put it in the bag sizer and began to leave. As we were walking down the jet bridge, she was saying "It won't fit. When we got on the plane, the greeter kept saying 'good morning' to everyone, despite it being 11pm. While passengers were trying to sleep (because it was a redeye) crew were talking about their life and other nonsense. When I confronted them about this, they rudely stated 'We're working'. They did not bring drinks when passengers woke up, which would have been nice on a 5 hr flight. Only tolerable part was the legroom. No adjustable headrest, though.
RouteLos Angeles to Boston via Philadelphia
Date FlownNovember 2019

"Business class - no way!"

(Sweden)

Trip Verified | My 2nd ever worst flight in business class was Miami to Santo Domingo AA987. After a overnight stay in Miami I skipped breakfast at the hotel to get something light in the lounge. I was pointed to the AA lounge by gate D15. But not much there to eat but some fruit and yoghurt. The rest they wanted me to pay for. Well ok I thought I’ll get breakfast on board. (Afterwards I was informed by BA staff I should have gone to the lounge by D30 apparently) To my surprised, all that was served as breakfast on board was yoghurt and fruit or a bagel. Business class - no way!
RouteMiami to Santo Domingo
Date FlownNovember 2019

"worst ever business class flight"

(Sweden)

Trip Verified | Santo Domingo to Miami. My worst ever business class flight was the AA1154. Got up and left the hotel at 4:15am. Arrived at the airport and checked in. NO lounge! Had to sit at the gate for over 1 hr. Finally on the plane. About 1 hr after take-off the cabin crew asked if I wanted breakfast. My question was what were the choices. Surprise me! 1 decilitre of yoghurt and 17 grams of granola. With a small power bar. I even had better breakfasts on domestic flights in Sweden. And thank you BA, Qatar Airways and others to serve decent breakfasts, lunches and dinners! And snacks in between. Both in first and businesses class. AA answer "we are sorry for your bad experience". Nothing else! No compensation or anything! Never American Airlines again!
RouteSanto Domingo to Miami