Alitalia

"the seats are narrow"

Not Verified | Rome to Los Angeles was the worst flight experience I’ve had. The first problems occurred when we tried to check in online, with Alitalia’s website it took over 3 hours just to check in and print boarding passes. I tried to to call Customer Service for help, to no avail. Onboard the seats are narrow, and there’s no leg room. The passenger in front of me kept trying to recline his seat, which almost placed his head in my lap and made it nearly impossible to watch a movie, which may or may not have been a good thing because their inflight entertainment leaves a lot to be desired. The movie screen is only about 4” X 6”, and my entertainment system continually crashed. We rarely saw flight attendants throughout the flight and even if you pressed the call button, no one came. The meals/snacks were less than mediocre. The one snack we received was a tuna salad sandwich. When I asked if they had any other sandwich choice, the flight attendant asked if I had requested a special meal due to food allergies. When I told her no, she went and got me 2 small packets of their crackers. Beverage service was lacking, twice I asked for a glass of water, I never received it. About 2 hours into the flight, I used the bathroom, only to find less than 1/4 roll of toilet paper sitting on the sink counter.
RouteRome to Los Angeles
Date FlownDecember 2019

"There is zero leg room"

Trip Verified | Never been to Italy before, first time to write a review before take off! It’s all about the leg room. I am already in a lot of discomfort and we haven’t even taken off. There is zero leg room. I am worried that if the passenger in front reclined by even an inch, I will suffer an untimely death. I really should have done my homework, but as this is the National carrier etc, I assumed it would be the best.
RouteLondon Heathrow to Rome
Date FlownNovember 2019

"overcharged us for the bags"

I bought an Alitalia ticket and I called and confirmed with Alitalia customer service that economy tickets included a checked bag. The customer service representative confirmed that I had a checked bag. When I arrived at the airport, they refused to check my bag unless I paid $60 each way. Obviously, it was too late at that point to pack a carry-on so I was forced to pay an extra $240 dollars ($120 round trip for myself and my boyfriend) for our bags. They told me I had a "light" ticket, but it didn't say that on my ticket. They said that economy tickets included a bag, but light tickets did not. Alitalia overcharged us for the bags. I contacted them after the incident on September 20, 2019, and the automated email noted that they would respond to us within 30 days. It's now 46 days later and I'm still waiting for a resolution.
RouteRome to Miami
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"super-narrow seats"

Trip Verified | Rome to New York. No legroom, super-narrow seats, truly awful food and indifferent flight attendants. Although, The contrast with our flight from JFK to PDX on Delta (also economy) was practically decadent in comparison.
RouteRome to New York
Date FlownOctober 2019

"no smile or interaction"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | I flew Alitalia return Rome to Delhi return in business class and the on-time performance was perfect. On the DEL-FCO flight we landed 15 minute ahead of schedule after leaving DEL airport on the exact scheduled time. When entering the aircraft the steward did not great us, did not smile, did not look at the boarding pass to show me my seat. Bins were occupied by blankets and needed to ask a stewardess to remove them, which she did with an accusing expression as if it was my fault that the blankets were there. The food was heralded as inspired by a famous restaurant, but in reality was not. When serving the meal, crew was polite, but no smile or interaction to me. During the night nobody came through the cabin to offer a glass of water or a snack. The galley had a bottle of water and Coca Cola, but no snacks. The water was served in a plastic beaker. Before landing, none of the crew asked if we had had a pleasant flight. When leaving the aircraft, no pleasantries, no smile to me.
RouteDelhi to Rome
Date FlownOctober 2019

"cabin crew was very nice"

(Israel)

Trip Verified | 2hr flight from Tel Aviv to Athens. Basic and not well maintain Airbus, seats are very tight I almost couldn't fit in ( im 1.87M). The cabin crew was very nice and suggested me to move into Exit without any payment. I didn't ask that- they offer this so well done.
RouteTel Aviv to Athens
Date FlownOctober 2019

"missed our connection to Boston"

Trip Verified | Catania to Boston via Rome. At Catania Airport when we were informed our flight was cancelled but not given a reason. One person at the service desk said it was the weather-other flights were leaving and arriving, others said it was a transport strike- We needed a written reason to fullfil the terms of our travel insurance. A service person said we could get the answer on line. He tried but could not produce a website with the answer. We were bused from Catania 1.5 hrs to Comiso Airport - we never received new tickets and were simply boarded on a flight to Rome. We missed our connection to Boston and were bused to a 3rd rate hotel in suburban Rome, offered a dinner of pasta and pork (which we don't eat) and told to be up at 6 am the next day for a flight leaving for Boston at 10:55 am. Breakfast was a bag with a bottle of water, dried cracker, stale croissant, and juice box. The flight to Boston was horrendous. The meal choicewas gone by the time the attendent came by - she offered me her meal which was very kind. The entertainment offerings were horrible and for me the system didn't work and wifi never worked. When I checked on several flight tracker sites AZ 1724 was listed as departing from Catania!
RouteCatania to Boston via Rome
Date FlownOctober 2019

"customer support team was pathetic"

Trip Verified | Belgrade to New Delhi via Rome. 7th October, 2019 was my birthday. And it was the worst birthday of my life. Thanks to Alitalia's customer service support staffs. I was supposed to travel from Belgrade (AZ591) to New Delhi (AZ770) via Rome. The first flight was delayed by almost an hour as a result missed the next flight to Delhi. Nobody in Rome was willing to help. After running from pillar to post finally found someone who took all the time in the world (at least 2 hours) to inform that next flight is after 24 hours. No facility was provided except for two meal coupons. No accommodation, no visa, no lounge access. Stranded with no facilities and no luggage and was suggested to sleep on seats and survive 24 hours in cold. Surprised to see this service especially when name of Etihad is associated. I had a connecting train from Delhi next morning which I missed. I am still figuring out how to do further journey as I am not able to secure any ticket now. Their customer support team was pathetic in Rome. Sorry to use such strong word. But they cannot communicate. Their knowledge is limited. And on top of everything I did not find them humane. Especially in hospitality sectors these features are so much needed. I never thought this is the way they will compensate their customers by adding more misery to their suffering for which they are responsible in the first place.
RouteBelgrade to New Delhi via Rome

"Very disappointed"

(Russian Federation)

Trip Verified | I flew from Moscow to Palermo, with a transfer in Milan on October 3, flight number AZ7027. Upon arrival in Palermo, my luggage was lost. I contacted the Lost and Found, the staff promised me that they would deliver my luggage to the hotel early in the morning of October 4th. As a result, my luggage was delivered only in the evening at 8 o’clock! All this time I had to be in discomfort and without the basic hygiene products that your company had to offer. Then on October 5, my flight was again your company flight number AZ1790 with a transfer in Milan. At check-in, I asked you to deliver my luggage directly to Moscow. An employee of your company began to claim that I need to wait a day at Milan airport! When my stopover duration was to be only 1 hour 10 minutes. It was her mistake, she did not give me a boarding pass to Moscow and sent my luggage only to Milan. She scared me very much and made me nervous! Before flying to Milan, other airport employees announced me and said that there was a mistake and they gave me a boarding pass to Moscow. I asked several times, was my baggage redirected to Moscow? They claimed that yes, everything is fine. You will receive your luggage in Moscow. Then when I arrived in Moscow, my luggage was lost again. It's just awful and this is the first time I've met so much disgusting service! As a result, I was able to get my luggage on October 7th! Very disappointed and will never use it again. Ruined my vacation.
RouteMoscow to Palermo via Milan

"denied her assistance"

Trip Verified | I booked a return flight to my mum who is unable to walk long distance. I arranged assistance at the airport and into the aircraft to help her to move during her trip. This was planned long time in advance. She was back from her journey and she did not have any issues in the other flights until she arrived at Verona airport where they denied her assistance and they charged her extra fee. Assistance was free and she did not pay in all the other trips. Furthermore despite her showing her e-ticket to the check in desk where it was clearly written that assistance and luggage were included they charged for it as well. She was travelling alone and it was a really unpleasant and unacceptable experience. I strongly recommend not to take any connection to Verona.
RouteVerona to Catania