Alitalia

"They are chaotic, rude"

Not Verified | Worst airline experience of my life. Alitalia workers were on strike when we landed in Rome from Olbia, Sardinia, and no one had bothered to tell passengers before we checked our bags to embark. We were told we could not have our luggage back due to the strike, and that it would be sitting on the tarmac for days. We had a flight home to Toronto the following day and did not have days to wait for our luggage. The staff was incredibly rude and unconcerned with the situation they had imposed on their customers. We have ZERO faith we will ever see our luggage again, which almost a week later is still sitting at Fiumicino airport with no response from Alitalia to my emailed inquiries about when we will have them returned to us or receive reimbursement for the lost items. They are chaotic, rude, and will not be accountable for any costs they impose on you.
RouteOlbia to Rome
Date FlownSeptember 2021

"Worst customer service ever"

Not Verified | Worst customer service ever! First they canceled our flight (no email to let us know ahead of time) they let us know when we were in the airport, Gladly we could change our flight, I saw a customer service not using a mask during a pandemic, they never asked us for COVID test during a pandemic, my passport last name and my married last were not the same and they made a huge deal about it and they would not let us get in the plane until I show a marriage certificate. Let alone I needed help and all the stuff and customer service looked at me like they don’t work there and pretty stressful experience.
Date FlownSeptember 2021

"rude staff and terrible customer service"

Trip Verified | We flew from Brindisi to Rome, service was trash everyone there is on a power trip, no customer service skills at all. Very rude. Then Rome to NY, the flight was fine, but they didn't pay Delta for our connecting flight to Atlanta. Delta found our name in the system but said the spots were only reserved and basically Alitalia owed them money, to actually book the flight. We didn’t find this out till we got to NY because none of the service desks/ppl at the gate were able to print us our ticket in Rome or brindisi and didn’t say why. So we get to NY Find this out and end up missing our flight. We’re still on the phone with the airline on hold to get this sorted out. I’m very disappointed with my overall experience with this airline. Unreliable airline and rude people working for them. These are only the issues we had on the way back home to ATL. We had issues otw to Rome too- again rude staff and terrible customer service.
RouteRome to New York
Date FlownSeptember 2021

"the worst airline ever!"

Not Verified | This is the worst airline ever! Starting with a website that is sooo Not user friendly. To the extremely rude and unprofessional staff on the phone and in the airport. Nothing like waiting to check in and only 2 people working the counter while 6 people stand around talking to one another’s door there’s about 60 people on line. Lazy doesn’t even cover how these people acted! The food on the plane was awful! You could only have water to drink - the food was served prison style. No one smiled or even pretended to be happy, you felt like they were doing you a favor just being there. They picked up the trays of uneaten food and that was the last you saw of these miserable people. I did ask why they weren’t serving and soft drinks I was told it was due to COVID restrictions which I found out was false. The inflight entertainment was a joke 9 hours of flying with movies from 1990. Never again will I fly Alitalia.
RouteNew York to Rome
Date FlownAugust 2021

"Very rude and not helpful"

Not Verified | Very bad airline, I cancelled my trip in June 2020, they gave me a voucher to use in Europe only and never told me I had it, it only lasted for 6 months then it expired. I found out myself when I called. I couldn't use the voucher credit as travel in Australia is banned and we are in Lockdown. They wouldn't extend but can apply refund only for the tax part of the ticket. So I lost all the money for my ticket. Can only get a tiny bit back. But when I call them in Italy they are very rude they hang up when I asked them to repeat what they said. Very rude and not helpful and greedy to keep peoples money. Absolutely horrible. Will never book with them again.
Date FlownSeptember 2020

"they have horrible customer service"

Not Verified | Alitalia cancelled my flight, replaced my ticket with a flight with only half the itinerary, which I obviously cancelled, and now I'm still waiting on my refund 4 months later! The worst is that they have horrible customer service, I wait for hours on the phone, until someone simply hangs up on me. This happened at least five times. I will never fly them again.
RouteMiami to New York via Milan
Date FlownApril 2021

"unreliable, disrespectful to customers"

Trip Verified | To me, this is the worst European air company: unreliable, disrespectful to customers and finally, a real fraud. Last year, Alitalia canceled my flight from Bologna to Palermo (via Roma) without any replacement offers. I completed a form required by Alitalia for a refund and 11/20/20 they sent me email, that Alitalia issued a refund to my credit card account for e-ticket. However, this refund was never sent to my Bank. I checked with the Bank a couple of times and then, sent email to Alitalia customer service. In response, I immediately got auto-reply email requiring calling their USA customer service. I called Alitalia “USA customer service”, in fact located in Tirana, Albania. They told me that I need to wait for 90 days because there are too many refunds. In 4 months I sent a new email and got the same auto-reply. Btw, I've never got any other emails from them - only auto-replies, which were sent from "no-reply" address I called again to “USA” customer service. This time, a representative assured me that a refund will be sent in 72 hours and he’ll call me about this. As I expected, there were no refund and no call. In a couple of weeks, I sent another email, got one more auto-reply and called to Albanian (means USA!) Alitalia customer service. This time, a representative listened to my long boring story and just hung up on me. During last year, as many of us, I’ve experienced a number of flight cancellations. All American and European air companies refunded their cancelled flights, including low-cost ones (like Vueling), but only Alitalia did not fulfill its obligations. This is why Alitalia is to me the worst European air company: unreliable, disrespectful to customers and finally, a real fraud. Definitely, I’ll try my best never to use Alitalia and do not recommend this company to any travelers.
RouteBologna to Palermo via Roma
Date FlownAugust 2020

"struggling trying to find ticket"

Trip Verified | I booked 3 tickets in March 2021 on Alitalia for trip in July 2021 to Cairo via Rome. In June 11th I learned that the airline decided to cancel my the flight from Washington to Rome due to COVID19 as they stated without notifying me not until a friend of mine who's flying on the same flight told me about receiving an email indicating the cancelation. Called customer service, they offer me options : either I pay $1600- $4000 per ticket to change my flight to New York-Rome-Cairo or they can refund me my money back. What's more interesting that they operate flights back from Cairo-Rome-Washington. I guess that COVID19 only works on the flights from Washington to Rome but not on the flight back or on flights from New York. Now I am struggling trying to find tickets to my destination as I am very close to my trip and all the prices went up.
RouteWashington to Cairo via Rome
Date FlownJune 2021

"refusing to give me a refund"

Not Verified | I booked a trip to Europe with Alitalia through my credit card for May 2020 before COVID-19 was an issue. I bought travel insurance in case I had to cancel the trip for any reason. Once COVID-19 started escalating, I had to cancel my trip. I am an essential worker and couldn't leave the US or else I wouldn't be allowed back on some job sites. The credit card company told me the only way to get a refund is by talking directly to the airline, but I haven't been able to get anywhere with Alitalia. What is the point of buying traveler's insurance if not for instances like this? They are not allowing me to rebook the trip and are also refusing to give me a refund, so they basically ate my money. I am very dissatisfied with the customer service at Alitalia and will never recommend them to anyone who is planning a trip to Europe. This is a helpless situation, and they are taking full advantage of it. Even one star is too much to give to them.
RouteHouston to Milan
Date FlownJune 2021

"don't offer a glass of water"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | They don't offer a glass of water. The staff didn't greet me on boarding my flight or when the flight landed, the staff just disappeared.
RouteHeathrow to Rome