Air France

"missing one checked bag"

Trip Verified | I booked a flight for an Air France / Virgin Atlantic flight from Orlando to Beirut. Once I landed in Beirut airport I notice I'm missing one checked bag so I reached out to the missing luggage office and file claim. 2 days later I got update by email that my bag was found, and it will be forwarded to Beirut. I contacted airport for my bag, and they said my bag did not arrive. 2 days later suddenly the claim I filed in the airport was closed and when I contacted customer service, they didn't know how the claim was closed or who closed it. I filed online claim again, since then I have been calling customer service every day about my luggage with no updates. Nobody could explain how my first claim was closed and keep saying no update on my luggage. I filed claim for necessary purchase but I didn't get any reimbursement, then after 21 days filed claim for lost luggage. I started calling air France every day, I got to speak with supervisor who made clear your bag was lost and there is no way for passenger to talk to claim department unless they call you. I asked how long it takes to get my reimbursement, he said, we have long queue and this might take several months. So they lost my bag with promise they will reimburse me when they decide to do with no timeframe.
RouteOrlando to Beirut via Manchester / Paris
Date FlownJuly 2022

"The in flight experience was fine"

Trip Verified | We were able to fit everything into carry on luggage, which was helpful, especially outbound. On the return flight our bags were spot checked and found to be overweight so we had to get out of the line for passport control, check the bags, then get back into the passport line. This was frustrating, but since we had left a ridiculous amount of time to make the flight we didn't actually have a problem. In addition, the employees marshaling the passport lines were very heads-up and were moving people to fill gaps in the line. They also appeared responsive to pleas about flights departing soon, including those in English. We were of course pretty worried about whether our bags would vaporize on the way to JFK but fortunately everything showed up and was undamaged. All of this means we were very fortunate, since we were flying midsummer when all of the horror stories were happening and we didn't have to deal with AF ground service, which in our experience has never been terrible but never better than OK, either. The in flight experience was fine, although AF is one airline where it pays to fly Premium Economy. We flew regular Economy because of the size of our group, and the service was less. Cabin staff very pleasant as usual but not very visible apart from meal service. Much more attentive the further forward you go, which is not a very passenger-centric strategy. The aircraft wasn't new but had been refreshed. IFE worked and had lots of options. Outbound flight took off late but landed almost on time, return flight was on time. In Premium Economy or Business Class Air France an excellent airline, but in Economy it's a little disappointing. AF could learn a lot from Delta, which provides pretty good service throughout the cabin, or even from United, which is mediocre front to back. Most of my international travel is to France, and most of that is on Air France. This is unlikely to change. Still, I live in hope that Air France ups its game on the service front.
RouteNew York to Paris CDG
Date FlownJuly 2022

"never encountered such incompetence"

Trip Verified | Shame on Air France for its disgraceful performance and for doing nothing thus far to settle a claim for clothes and incidentals I had to buy after my luggage was delayed last December when returning from Guinea to Washington DC in business class. I must have now called Air France a dozen times to find out the status of my claim. Each time, I get bounced around from one agent to another, each of whom appears completely unable to provide any help whatsoever. One agent today told me that the only way to communicate with AF is via social media and suggested I try Twitter and Facebook. I've already tried both of those months ago and never have had any response. I've now escalated the matter with my firm and with AMEX which did the booking as my company's corporate travel partner. Shame on Air France. I've never encountered such incompetence.
AircraftBoeing 777-200 / 777-300
RouteWashington to Conakry via Paris
Date FlownDecember 2021

"5 hours waiting to get our 2 carry-on bags"

Trip Verified | We just had a return flight scheduled via Air France on August 1st. We arrived 2.5 hours early to Charles de Gaulle but the bag drop-off took 1 hour then we were stopped for having carry-on bags too large at security and had to return to check the carry-ons, after this, we had 50 minutes until departure but security machine broke and caused abnormal security delays of an hour. We missed the flight. It then took 2 hours of waiting at Air France ticketing to learn the next flight would be 6 days away (with us having NO luggage). We opt for another flight on a different airline and airport but now to get our bags ... another 5 hours of waiting to get our 2 carry-on bags. We are told to return in the morning to pick up our other 2 large checked bags that had been pulled from the plane. We come back to CDG, wait 1.5 hours in a 5 person line to find out that those bags cannot be accessed, and they have to send them across the ocean and deliver to our home address. Unbelievable service from Air France. No apologies from anyone or care for the extraordinary mess of lines! One bag has been found but the other is untraceable.
RouteParis to Miami
Date FlownAugust 2022

"excellent on-board service"

Trip Verified | Check in in YUL was quick but not smiley. Lounge welcome none, food not eatable, Champagne from a cheap brand. These are the only bad news from 2 flights that went smoothly, with excellent on-board service. 16 years old 777, retrofitted, but showing signals of usage. Small (14 seats) business class cabin, therefore very quiet. Connecting in CDG was made easy, with separate immigration for connecting passengers. Lounge in CDG was packed at 6:00 AM ! As usual MRS baggage delivery at MRS is a shame, with no respect for priority bags. Not AF fault; just bad service form third party services.
AircraftBoeing 773 / A319
RouteMontreal to Marseille via Paris
Date FlownJuly 2022

"there is nobody who can help you"

Trip Verified | Vancouver to Paris. My wife and I paid for direct roundtrip flights from Vancouver (YVR) to Paris (CDG) for our honeymoon trip, and that's where our first experience (and probably last) with Air France goes horrible. To start, our direct return flight home to Vancouver got cancelled, and they tried to put us on a connecting flight a day earlier, which obviously does not work with our travel plans as we are not even in Paris that 1 day earlier. Secondly, our seat selections for both our outbound and return flights that we made suddenly disappeared and my wife and I got separated to seats that were not together. We had booked our flights way earlier and there were lots of seat options at the time, but because they for whatever reason lost our seats, there were no good options left and my wife and I were stuck with choosing the only remaining option left for 2 seats together that were terrible, because all the seat selections had been taken now. I had to go through multiple several hour long phone calls with customer service to 1) get on a new connecting flight (no longer direct) for our return flight home, and 2) sort our all the seat selections for all of these flights, now that we were no longer on direct flights. What's weird is that our connecting flight home is now on Delta Airlines for both legs, not Air France? And they could not confirm me and my wife's seat selections to be next to each other for these flights, probably because they are on Delta Airlines rather than Air France? To make complaints, the customer service phone line does not handle this as they only handle reservations. We filled out the online complaint form on June 22 and have yet to hear back, as our flight is in less than a month now. We called their customer service line multiple times again to follow up on our complaint case #, but was told each time that they cannot do anything to help. When we asked to speak to a supervisor/manager, or be transferred to ANYONE who could possibly help, they said there is no human we can speak to directly, nobody they could transfer me to, no email or phone number to directly contact, and that I would have to wait for an email response to our complaint form, which again we had already waited for more than 1.5 months. In summary, this is our first time booking with Air France, and we have never experience such terrible non-existent customer service. This is not a single human you can speak to directly who can help with making things right. All you can do is submit an online complaint form into a black hole of cases that will never be addressed. I've tried multiple channels to reach ANYONE who can help, but each time I was told there is nobody who can help you, sir. Avoid Air France's archaic customer service system at all costs.
AircraftA330-300
RouteVancouver to Paris
Date FlownAugust 2022

"It's been a fight to get my refund"

Not Verified | Booked a business class flight from Rome to Lisbon Via Paris, completed online check-in, submitted the requested COVID Certificate, and received the Ready to Fly email from Air France, meaning everything I submitted was good to go. Arrived at the departing Airport only to be told that my seat was cancelled, my allocated seat was sold to another passenger, and it was now a sold-out flight. It's been a fight to get my refund.
RouteRome to Lisbon Via Paris
Date FlownJune 2022

"All in all very disappointing"

Trip Verified | During the aircraft loading process, my suitcase was first placed next to the loading belt, then at some point scanned and placed on the back of the trolley that pulls the suitcase dolly (I could watch the whole process from the window the whole time). That seemed strange to me, so I asked the stewardess in English if that was the right thing to do and she only said that the hold was full and the suitcase was loaded in the back. That struck me as odd, too, but that could be the case, I thought to myself and sat down again. More suitcases arrived, still being loaded into the same hold (so apparently the hold wasn't full after all). Meanwhile, my suitcase was still lying on the back of the car. At some point no more suitcases came and the loading belt was retracted. So I went to the stewardess again and told her that my suitcase is still on the back of this car and that the luggage strap is now being removed. After a short discussion, she fetched the pilot, who left the plane with my suitcase badge. I looked out the window and unfortunately the car on which my suitcase was lying was gone now too. After a minute or two the pilot came back and just said don't worry my suitcase will be on board. Then I just said if he was sure, because the last time I checked, my suitcase was still on the car and the luggage strap was retracted. The stewardess then answered me something in French, I just said that unfortunately I don't speak French and that's why I had spoken to her in English beforehand, she answered in French again. I sat down again and during the pushback I saw all the trolleys lined up and of course my suitcase was still on one of these trolleys. My suitcase arrived in Düsseldorf the next evening, one of the four wheels had broken off, a wheel bearing had broken out, one of the two locks had broken and the suitcase was so warped that it could no longer be closed. A Rimowa aluminum case that has endured a lot for 8 years. The destruction of the suitcase, of course has more to do with Paris Airport, but the whole thing would probably not have happened like this if my suitcase had been loaded, because as the next to the baggage carousel at the airfield, all 4 wheels were still attached. All in all very disappointing.
RouteParis to Düsseldorf
Date FlownJune 2022

"still haven’t gotten the money back"

Trip Verified | My flight was canceled on June 17, 2022. It was supposed to depart at 11:55 pm and 30 minutes Before we were supposed to take off they canceled it and told us they are going to give us a hotel to stay in until they get us a new flight, but 4 hours waiting in the airport until they got us a hotel in Manhattan witch is an hour away from the airport. After that they told us to pay for everything we need and save a copy of the receipt and send it to the airline for a refund. I ended up paying around 300 dollars and I still haven’t gotten the money back and it’s been almost 2 months!
RouteNew York to Paris
Date FlownJune 2022

"they are losing luggage"

(Dominican Republic)

Trip Verified | This airline have 2 people working at the check in counter where you get there early and spend more than 2 hours waiting on a line even tho they know your flight is about to leave and you need to pass through security. Also they are losing luggage, and if they find one of them was open (even when you put a lock on it) with a lot of missing items. They did not answer the claims made.
RouteZurich to Punta Cana via Paris