Air Europa

"Still waiting for a refund"

Trip Verified | Still waiting for a refund for cancelled flights over a year later. Customer service is appalling. Understandable at the beginning of the pandemic that they would be busy, so had call waiting times of over an hour just to speak to customer services. Flight was booked in Feb 2020, and cancelled shortly after that. No confirmation of the cancellation till much later. Eventually reached someone to say that a refund was being processed in Sep 2020. Six months later after numerous follow up chasers to be told that refund is still in process - one year one month later and counting. Do not give them your money!
RouteLondon to Havana via Madrid
Date FlownOctober 2020

"Absolutely disgraceful behaviour"

Trip Verified | The pandemic is nearing it's end, and this companies website will not load its change reservation/booking page and their telephone system works periodically. On top of that they tried to charge me nearly £350 to change a flight. Absolutely disgraceful behaviour. I found the flight for the same money elsewhere as what they wanted to change the flight. A flight they charged me £500 for originally. Never again. Burnt, but learnt.
RouteLondon to Barcelona via Bogota
Date FlownDecember 2020

"I still haven't seen my refund"

Not Verified | My flight got cancelled due to Covid-19 and dealing with this company has been absolutely shocking and almost non existent. It has been almost a year now and I still haven't seen my refund. Avoid at all costs.
RouteLondon to Colombia via Madrid
Date FlownApril 2020

"confirm that my dispute was denied"

Trip Verified | Our flight was cancelled in March 2020 due to the Corona outbreak. At the time, Air Europa had no technical infrastructure for handling refunds. There was no option to request a refund online. I called customer service and was told I could only have a voucher. I asked for a manager and noted that this is against the law in the EU. She said yes yes, you can get a refund, but the only way is to send an email to this address with your ticket information. I sent the email in March 2020, but received no confirmation or receipt acknowledgement. Since I received no refund confirmation, I believed no one would ever read my email. I initiated a dispute with my credit card in May 2020. Chase refunded me temporarily while they investigated. After a month, Chase denied my request and rebilled me in July 2020. They said it is not their job to enforce EU law, and the voucher offer was good enough. To get a cash refund, I had to get it directly from the airline. I reapplied for a refund with Air Europa in August 2020. Ever since then, they deny my requests because they say that their records show my dispute was successful and I need to get the money from my credit card. I have submitted to them the Chase denial letter, my credit card statements showing the rebill, and the date that my bank says they transferred the money to Air Europa. The denial letter from Chase very plainly states I was not successful. The customer service individuals refuse to properly communicate with accounting to find the money and confirm that my dispute was denied. They also lose my case information constantly, and I have to explain everything every time in an effort to get them to find records of when payments moved between Chase and Air Europa. I have two consumer complaints I am waiting for someone to help with. I am beyond upset as the tickets for my family were $2,500. This is the first time I've ever reviewed a company, because I'm not that passionate about the quality of services. I've likely wasted 30+ hours in the past year on the phone with them trying to get to the bottom of this.
RouteMunich to Gran Canaria
Date FlownApril 2020

"The worst airline we've ever taken"

Trip Verified | The worst airline we've ever taken. Being experienced travelers, Air Europa is in our opinion the worst airline we've ever taken in our lives. They cancelled our outbound flight Lima - Madrid without any notice - not for covid reasons, the customer service is unreachable and even at their office they refused to help us and to propose us comparative flight alternatives, besides the fact that my wife is pregnant (for that reason we bought business tickets) and needed to quickly reach home. They limited themselves to offer us an alternative flight 12 days after our cancelled flight.
RouteLima to Zurich via Madrid
Date FlownDecember 2020

"Decent flight crew service"

Trip Verified | First timer here with this airline. Quite inline to my expectations, meaning: they are part of an air alliance, so they should be holding to a minimum service standard. Overall, it was ok. The best aspects of my flights experience: - Part of Skyteam, so my luggage transfer from KLM was easy and seamless - We flew with the Boeing 787, so it was nice and new - Decent flight crew service. The areas where AE can improve: Their company site can be more user friendly as I had a bit of trouble trying to manage my booking prior to my departure - Seat selection is also not complimentary for everyone during web check in - Inflight entertainment has limited new movies Not bad overall, but I just wish they can offer free seats 48 hr before departure.
RouteMadrid to Santa Cruz
Date FlownDecember 2020

"Customer service very disappointing"

Not Verified | Customer service very disappointing. It takes already more than 3 months to get a refund. Every time I call the customer service they tell me some other excuse, after I waited 30 minutes in line. One would expect a better organisation for such a big company. Next time other airline!
RouteAmsterdam to Medellin via Madrid
Date FlownJuly 2020

"Flight was professionally operated"

(Brazil)

Trip Verified | Flight was professionally operated, it was an economy class European flight, nothing special, but plane was new, well presented and staff friendly. Pay only refreshments which is more and more frequent but still disappointing. All in all decent flight, recommend Air Europa for short hops.
RouteMalaga to Paris CDG
Date FlownOctober 2020

"did not allow me to check in"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | On August 20th, 2020, Air Europa did not allow me to check in Madrid-Athens because my analysis said "PCR negativo" instead of "PCR negative". I insisted that the supervisor ask her colleague in Athens if the Greek police would admit such obviousness (the result can only say "positivo" or "negativo" so there is no doubt of interpretation), but she refused. Air Europa has management problems and, according to the press, is in technical bankruptcy.
RouteMadrid to Atenas
Date FlownAugust 2020

"I had to take an United Airlines flight"

Trip Verified | Horrible service. Paying 100 dollar extra for taking my own luggage. Only one miserable meal on an 11 hour trip. They cancelled my trip only 48 hours before take off because of Covid19, when the lockdown had started long before that. Alternatives were 10 times as expensive, so I had to take an United Airlines flight, with wonderful service btw. Still waiting for my money back after 5 months. Never ever in my life will I even consider flying with these crooks.
RouteAmsterdam to Bogotá via Madrid