Aer Lingus

"basic competence as an airline"

Not Verified | The very worst travel experience of our lives. Flight from O'Hare was late to leave, which caused us to miss our also-Aer Lingus connection in Dublin. Flight staff was snippy and unpleasant. When a later-day flight to Amsterdam finally got us there, Aer Lingus had left our luggage in Dublin. This left us trapped at Amsterdam until the day's third flight brought our bag. All in all, what should have been an easy flight with a connection turned I to a 32 hour travel day, most of which spent waiting for Aer Lingus to either show up, find our bag, or otherwise demonstrate basic competence as an airline. Never again.
AircraftA330/A320
RouteChicago O'Hare to Amsterdam via Dublin
Date FlownAugust 2022

"unsure if my kids will sit with me or my husband"

Not Verified | July 28th, 2022 - secured my seats with Aer Lingus to ensure my daughters (minors) were seated with a parent. Agent provided seat numbers and confirmation. August 10th 2022 - Checked app the day before flight to see no seat numbers. Jumped on a chat with Aer Lingus. They didn't have any information even after I provided the detail and confirmation. They just said go online at 9:25 to book the seats. That didn't confirm my kids were with me. They didn't care at all or take ownership for dropping the ball. Waited on the phone for over an hr to be hung up on by the agent. No one helped. No one cared. No one took ownership despite me being responsible weeks in advance. Still unsure if my kids will sit with me or my husband tomorrow.
RouteBoston to Edinburgh via Dublin
Date FlownAugust 2022

"change the ticket you have to pay the difference"

Trip Verified | The ticket is pricing low earlier and goes up significantly over time. It says free of charge to change the ticket but you have to pay the difference which is almost $1000 more when you change your flight on the last days. You end up to pay a higher price for low quality of flight. The baggage was missing and you have to fill out form and pick them up a couple of days later. The return flight was a few hours late and ended up missing the second flight and waiting in the airport 5-6 hours more for the rescheduled flight.
RouteLos Angeles to Rome via Dublin
Date FlownAugust 2022

"impressed with Aer Lingus on this occasion"

Trip Verified | EI 722 From Cork to London Heathrow on 8th August 2022 was a showcase of what an airline can do well on a short flight! Check-in online worked a treat and the bag-drop at Cork Airport was made speedy by machines and a very helpful and professional mature lady who went out of her way to help an elderly gentleman and then a family with a disabled child. This staff member is an absolute credit to Aer Lingus. Boarding was orderly and well managed and I noted how the crew were very well turned out and clearly took pride in their work. The female pilot made clear and precise announcements and the cabin crew gave a serious safety announcement and then made sure passengers were compliant with safety measures. During the flight the crew served “to buy” drinks and then duty free items. The flight arrived ahead of schedule and disembarkation was again orderly and well managed by a professional crew who are a credit to Aer Lingus and to their country for that matter. My gripe with this flight was the rather high fee charged for one small bag of 13kg I checked in online. In all other respects I was impressed with Aer Lingus on this occasion. It was nice too to hear Irish used by some of the crew.
RouteCork to London
Date FlownAugust 2022

"a rather unpleasant experience"

Trip Verified | EI 155 on 5th August 2022 from London Heathrow to Dublin on an A321n. This was by any measure a rather unpleasant experience. The check-in / bag drop was very badly organised indeed. Although I had checked-in online I had to join a mixed queue combining several destinations with this airline. There was one rather rude female employee who bizarrely pushed and I do mean push 6 passengers behind a yellow line. She said that the queue started behind the yellow line the people she pushed included two very frail elderly gentlemen. There was no apology from the staff member and she then allowed a group of teenagers to queue jump! I approached the foreign staff member who did not even have the manners to answer me and she then walked off. Several bag drop machines did not work and so I assisted several elderly people including an non-English speaking couple to use the machines. This was not good enough to state the obvious. I shall add that boarding was not well managed with certain passengers allowed to carry far too much luggage onto the flight. The aircraft was modern with inflight entertainment but the seats were thin and uncomfortable. There was a delay taking off and very poor communication from the crew on a very full flight. Once the flight arrived in Dublin there was no gate available for over 30 minutes the captain did not communicate this well and several Americans were worried about not making their flight on time. Disembarkation was like a rugby scrum. The luggage took a rather long time to come through in Dublin and there was little help at hand for passengers and only a few machines on which to log a complaint! This was a shambles and a poor quality experience for a rather expensive short flight. What a poor impression this creates of this Airline and indeed of Dublin. One has to ask why they cannot employ civil people who speak English clearly rather than surly eastern Europeans with a poor attitude?
RouteLondon to Dublin
Date FlownAugust 2022

"Absolute shambles from start to finish"

Not Verified | Absolute shambles from start to finish. Dreadful experience at Manchester Airport. Staff were rude. Check in staff checked all of our bags under one travellers names, which has caused complications. One bag did not arrive at Orlando. Subsequently tried to get help from Aer Lingus, which is non existent. Case reported as missing but no updates provided. Call centre staff don't understand when you phone them. No one replies to e-mails. The plane itself was scruffy.
AircraftA330-300
RouteManchester to Orlando
Date FlownJuly 2022

"Nobody is there to support"

Not Verified | Frankfurt to Dublin. I lost my luggage, I travelled on July 6th 22. Till now I have not received it. Very bad experience with Aer Lingus. Nobody is there to support.
RouteFrankfurt to Dublin
Date FlownJuly 2022

"a poorly run budget airline"

Trip Verified | I received an email several hours before the flight saying the flight would be delayed an that if I had a connecting flight before a certain time, to call the airline for rescheduling. After 15 minutes on hold I was told to come to the airport and they would assess the situation at that time. Upon arrival at the airport, I was told that there was no way I could make my connecting flight. After considerable research, they told me the best way to get to my Paris that day would be to go to London and take the train to Paris, I would then submit the train and any related expenses for reimbursement, Well I submitted the expenses 7 weeks ago and have not had a formal response, I call customer service repeatedly, usually with 30 minute hold times, and am consistently told to wait as there are a long line of claims ahead of me. I am never given any way to escalate the issue or any idea of when the case will actually be heard. I opened a case with small claims court this week. The issue of the missed connection is understandable. I perhaps should have avoided that, or at least picked one with more room for error. But the problems with customer service, both at the airport and in the claims handling, are unforgiveable. Aer Lingus used to be a premier airline back in the day. Now they are a poorly run budget airline. Avoid at all costs!
RouteNew York to Paris via Dublin
Date FlownMay 2022

" treated very poorly by the baggage claim staff"

Trip Verified | I flew with Aer Lingus with 2 different flights. Both flights were an hour delayed, but that happens. However my baggage was lost on 6/12 going from LHR to DUB (it is now 7/28) and I have still not received it nor heard back from a single employee even though I’ve left many messages. Not only was my luggage lost but I was treated very poorly by the baggage claim staff at the DUB airport. I asked questions on the process of getting my bag back and the employee responded “this is what’s wrong and annoying with Americans, they always want to control things and are always so mad about their missing luggage” Obviously anyone who’s luggage goes missing wants it back? Basically this man brought me to tears and couldn’t care less about how rude he was being and denied my request to personally pick up my luggage, where if he let me, I'd have my luggage by now. It’s been 6.5 weeks.
RouteLondon Heathrow to Dublin
Date FlownJune 2022

"rented a budget airline’s plane"

Not Verified | Aer Lingus cancelled my original flight on Sunday, which included a layover of 1.75 hours at Dublin from London. They booked us on a replacement flight for 16.40 on July 26. They clearly rented a budget airline’s plane. It’s extremely sub standard compared to the ones normally used for this flight. Obviously need to catch up from stranding customers from Sunday so they’re piling everyone on top of each other. The usual configuration for this flight has 31 inches of legroom. In these seats my 5’9” slim frame barely fits. I did not pay $1,100 per seat (7 of us) for this. Boarding process was another piece of utter chaos. Almost no announcements to tell us they couldn’t work out how to open a couple of doors. I was expecting flight entertainment in the seat back but there isn’t any. No Wi-Fi either.
AircraftA330-300