United Airlines

Seat Reviews

Viewing TV 12345

"nothing to complain about"

Trip Verified | I upgraded to economy plus for $19 for this flight that lasted under an hour. The only thing you get on economy plus is more leg room. The flight was so short that the captain made an announcement that there would be no service and that no one was allowed to take off their seatbelts including the flight attendants. For a flight that lasted under an hour there is really absolutely nothing to complain about.
Aircraft TypeA320
Seat Layout3x3
Date FlownJune 2018
Seat Storage 12345

"the most miserable seats"

Trip Verified | The most unfriendly service (domestic portion) and the most miserable seats (international flights). There was less than inch of cushion on a narrow seat with no leg space. First leg was from SFO to TPE(Taipei) for almost 12 hours. Could not move, sleep. The return leg was from NRT (Tokyo) to IAD (Washington DC). This leg was about 14 hours and as bad as the first leg. UA is doing its best to out itself out of business. I will go out of my way and pay more to travel on foreign airlines so I can keep my dignity and be treated with respect.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 777
Date FlownJanuary 2018
Seat Storage 12345

"entertainment was seriously lacking"

Verified Review | Denver to Portland on an A319. The website says that your carry on is included and then when you check in they charge you $50 extra round trip. Waiting time the lines were enormously long at check in, both ways, which means they never have the staff to is facilitate their flights. Service onboard was nice enough though the entertainment was seriously lacking. Won't be using them again.
Aircraft TypeA319
Seat Layout3x3
Date FlownNovember 2017

"the worst plane trip"

Verified Review | This was the worst plane trip I've ever taken. We were on a United 777 from NYC to San Francisco and I thought that trip was bad. I often get dehydrated on planes, but I am used to the staff offering water to customers regularly, especially on long flights. They never came around until I almost passed out. On the way back to NYC from SFO we made sure we had plenty of leg room. We each paid $150 extra for an exit aisle. We are both tall and have long legs. We definitely got our leg room, but when I tried to sit in my seat, I couldn't fit. Our arm rests did not go up, so no relief there. I am slightly overweight, but not enough to have ever caused this. I have plenty of length left on my seatbelt and I don't have trouble fitting into seats. This, however, was punitive. When I finally managed to squeeze into the seat, I couldn't bend over and had massive trouble getting OUT of the seat. I have bruises on my hips from the seat. And all of our shoulders and arms overlapped which means we were all hunched forward the entire 6 hours in order to fit into this space. I have since learned that United has "ultra slim" seats. Anything to make more money. The customer will pay, no worries. I hate United and will never fly them again. I ended up not being able to walk properly for hours after the flight. I am still in extreme pain 24 hours later. And of course, none of us have any recourse.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 777-200
Date FlownOctober 2017
Seat Storage 12345

"worst airline I have ever flown"

Verified Review | Easily the worst airline I have ever flown transatlantic with. Rude flight attendants on outward bound flight and no inflight entertainment claiming satellite issue. Not even a newspaper given out. My kids and I had no films to keep us occupied which is a basic expectation on a long flight these days. No in flight entertainment on the way back either!! Attendant said the united app didn't work well with Apple devices.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 767-300
Seat Layout2x3x2
Date FlownAugust 2017
Seat Storage 12345

"bulkhead seat a disaster"

Unverified | I flew several airlines on this trip, the main one being United from San Francisco to London in Economy plus. We had a bulkhead seat the in the middle section which turned out to be a disaster. A bulkhead seat should not be E+ just because you get more legroom. First we had a large monitor about three feet in front of us making it impossible to watch. Wifi did not work on iPads so we couldn't use personal devices, everybody had the same issue. United Airlines seats were by far the most uncomfortable seats I have ever sat in on a flight. Both my wife and son ended with migraines by the end of the flight. United, and I'm sure the other major US airlines, have gone too far with the thin padding. We flew Air Canada on they way back, which had seats with about an inch or so more padding. This made a huge difference in comfort, not to mention the fact that the flight attendants were far more friendly. I have been loyal to United for 30 years, but I am tired of being treated like a sardine, time to move on.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 747
Date FlownAugust 2017
Seat Storage 12345

"even the service is better"

Verified Review | When flying United's wide body fleet on domestic legs it is as if you are flying and entirely different airline than the domestic narrow body fleet. Besides the entertainment and seats being better even the service is better. It is understandable that you cannot have an exclusive fleet of widebodies flying domestic routes, but it sure is nice when you are on board one of them.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 767-300
Seat Layout2x3x2
Date FlownMay 2017
Seat Storage 12345

"The seat was just perfect"

(Argentina)

Verified Review | I chose seat 20H. The seat was just perfect. Close enough to business cabin so you're not bothered by the noise from the rest of the economy cabin and far enough from the bathroom usually crowded area. I'm rather tall 6' and I found that space for legs was fair enough for the additional money I paid for the seat. It's an aisle seat so you need to be ready to move, but that's ok for me since I'm a bad sleeper in planes
Aircraft TypeBoeing 747
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"no coordinated seating"

(New Zealand)

Verified Review | Unbelievable stress before we get anywhere near the flight. Why on earth would you assign 4 seats scattered across the aircraft, to a family group including a 3 and 5 year old? They ask for the ages of the children at booking, which was more than 4 months ago and yet no coordinated seating. It's a long way from Auckland to San Francisco for the cabin crew to service a 3 year old sitting alone and a 5 year old sitting alone. Even if the issue is worked out before boarding, the stress and angst has spoiled our holiday. A phone call to the nearest United office (Australia) and we were told that they can't move other passengers who have already selected. How did they select? This flight was booked on the AirNZ site and seats could not be selected at booking and don't seem to be able to be changed now. Really bad system.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 777
Seat Layout3x3x3
Date FlownFebruary 2017
Seat Storage 12345

"seat was pretty comfortable"

Verified Review | I flew Premium Economy, in Seat 19K. The seat was pretty comfortable, and I had plenty of legroom in which to stretch out. The recline, however, was subpar. It reclined maybe an inch more (maybe) than Economy (and was therefore almost incomparable.). Unless you can sleep practically upright, good luck getting in a few "Zzzz" before the plane lands. Sleeping was harder than I imagined. What really did shock me were two things: how quiet the engines were (even during takeoff and landing - eerily quiet), and how big the windows were. I look forward to flying Premium Economy or Business with other airlines to compare, and I look forward to flying with United again soon.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 787-900