top100_2016

United Airlines

Seat Reviews

Viewing TV 12345

"Avoid at all costs"

Avoid at all costs. I'm not even close to average American frame. The TV controls are in the center of the worst designed armrest in the history of flight. Good luck not changing your seatmate's channel or volume. NO legroom at all.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 737
Date FlownMay 2016

"no Plus on this seat"

SFO-HKG on a B747-400 in Economy Plus - 20H Limited legroom and I am only 5'6 and my knees almost touch the seat in front of me. There is definitely no "Plus" on this seat. There is also a IFE box under the seat in front of me so half of legroom was blocked so i have to keep going sideways to stretch my feet out. The seat itself has seen better days for sure and I think UA should really retire their 747's now as seats are not comfortable any longer. Limited recline as well. Inseat power supple though so that's a good thing.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 747-400
Seat Layout3x4x3
Cabin FlownPremium Economy

"good recline of seats"

(Vietnam)

Comfortable seating arrangement and good leg space for economy class. Good recline of the seats and enough space for my stuff. Trays were also comfortable for placing the food tray. The movie selection was rather poor but that's another story.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 777
Date FlownMarch 2016
Seat Storage 12345

"impossible to sit comfortably"

I was in the exit row, seat 20E for a 5.5 hour flight. I'm an average sized female, 5.6 ft tall and it was the most uncomfortable airline seat I've ever sat in. Including Ryanair. The back of the seat curves in a very strange way which forced me to sit slightly forward. This was accentuated by the headrest which forced my head out even further. Maybe it was supposed to support my neck but it didn't lower that far. The seat isn't deep enough, it ends about mid-thigh rather than close to the knee joint and is either flat or pitched forward slightly, so along with the strange back of the seat it was impossible to sit comfortably. I noticed the other passengers in the row were often leaning forward with elbows on knees or the table, in a hunched posture. There was also no seatback entertainment. And the bathroom was hilariously tiny! The only saving grace was that I didn't have to pay for the flight. Reading other reviews and articles, I'm really concerned to hear that these slimline seats are the new industry standard.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 737-900

"never fly United again"

I was upgraded to United Airlines Premium Economy on my flight from San Francisco to Frankfurt. Unfortunately the Premium Economy from United is just a standard Economy class with probably the worst seat I've used in the past 10 years. I always thought that features like in-seat TV, USB power supply, remote control, etc. would be standard. Not at United. This seat - sold as Premium - is the worst Eco product in the world. I will never fly United again.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 747-400
Seat Layout3x4x3
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
Seat Storage 12345

"seat very nice and comfortable"

We flew from Houston to Santiago on the Boeing 787. The boarding process was kind of wacky, but it took only a few minutes to board. The seat was very nice and comfortable, the touch screen was kind of glitchy, but the entertainment was great for the long flight. The legroom was good, and the recline was normal.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 787-8
Seat Storage 12345

"seats and layout abominable"

United Airlines new seats and layout are abominable. It is apparent they care not one bit for their clients. There is no room width-wise, and I am a smaller guy. There is no room between my knees and the seat in front of me, and again I am not a huge guy. There is zero padding on the seats. The seat back is curved forward, forcing one's neck and head into some moronic angle. I had a flight that was less than 2 hours, and due to it I will have to go to the chiropractor and possibly a massage therapist.
Aircraft TypeEM 190
Seat Layout2x2

"over-crowded cattle car"

Five hours of torture in seats on this over-crowded cattle car. Will not fly United again. By creating new "for purchase" legroom in the front of the economy section, United has essentially created a bait and switch. Cheaper fares as published but appalling conditions without an upgrade to the premium economy analog which was expensive! I think $80-$100 extra per person, per flight. Bathrooms were disgusting. Crew was too busy talking their weekend to do much of anything other than pass out ice water. Not sure how they've done it but they also eliminated any room in the back pouch of the seat in front to store a water bottle or a paperback. Truly - airline travel gets worse and worse as the years go on. United charges more for a lesser product - the inverse of value innovation.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 737-800

"the smallest seat"

United Airlines Boeing 737-800 was the smallest seat I have ever sat in. I'm 5'3", weight 125, and was squished into a seat so small it was impossible to move. Very difficult to even reach down to get my pocketbook from under the preceding seat. Thank goodness it was only a 3 hr. flight.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 737-800
Seat Storage 12345

"seat is nothing memorable"

Since United doesn't have a proper Premium Economy product, I selected Economy although the product I had is marketed as Economy Plus. Economy Plus is seating that has about 4 more inches of legroom. Note, the width of the seat nor comfort is any different than regular economy but customers (except those with elite status) are expected to shell out up $150 extra per segment for this "privilege". Of course, this products likely sells well to Americans who have not flown on other international carriers and know no better. The seat is nothing memorable, basic comfort level and has the same woes any typical economy seat has with discomfort for medium to long haul flights and the famous armrest battles due to poor design (aka no individual armrest). Again, this part is pretty much expected as most airlines have adopted the share an armrest philosophy as far as I recall.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 777