United Airlines

Seat Reviews

Viewing TV 12345

United Airlines customer review

Review by (United Kingdom)

It would be so easy to fill this with expletives on how poor the United Airlines flight service and quality was during this flight. In simple terms and ease to understand when you fly United Airlines you go back a decade in air travel at minimum. In this day and age of advanced in-seat entertainment United Airlines have chosen to disregard the traveller and still use the large bulkhead screens. When asked if I would like a drink I replied "Yes please - Gin&Tonic". Would I like the whole tin of tonic? "Yes please" (at the same time thinking is she smoking pot - of course I want the whole tin, isn't that normal)? Tonic opened, gin opened and handed to me - of course with a smile. "Can I have your credit or debit card please", "Why?" "To pay for the drink Sir - Luxury drinks including spirits and wine are extra charge". Consequently both the G&T made their way back to the trolley - less of a smile now. Can I have a ginger ale in replacement please? Tin opened, drink poured and rest of tin back on the trolley. "Can I have the tin please?" "No Sir - that's for other passengers".
Aircraft TypeBoeing 747-400
Seat Layout3-4-3

Review by (United States)

This layout would seem comfortable but it wasn't. In fact it was horrible. No legroom, horrible IFE, and an unpleasing position. I was put in the center seat of the middle section. Recline wasn't too bad and neither the width. But because United is using that personal entertainment thing they should at least add power outlets to keep your device charged throughout the flight.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 767-300ER
Seat Layout2x3x2

Review by (United States)

We recently flew on United Airlines as a family with a child. We preselected the seats during purchase. But upon check in (I meant both legs), we found out the selected seats were taken away from us and instead we were assigned random middle seats spreading through the aircraft. This means our child was forced to be seated with strangers. I immediately called and was told it was United's protocol to seat family together, especially those with children. Unfortunately the gate agent informed us, there was no seats available that she was unable to put us together. I need to make it very clear, there was no airplane or equipment change, at least none that I could detect, and the flight was on time. I thought this was an isolated incidence that we were so unlucky to have this occurred on us on both legs. But we met another family that was traveling on different route and dates, they had the similarly but worse experience. They printed the boarding passes the day ahead. Only found out they were assigned random middle seats during the curbside luggage check in. Their small child was forced to sit with strangers during an 8 hour flight.
Aircraft TypeA320

Review by (United States)

While the seats are comfortable, the entertainment box takes up a significant portion of the underneath space in the foot area in front of you. Also the seat supports will block your left leg from seats A-C and your right leg on seats D-F. Lastly, the protective strip on the floor is particularly uncomfortable when sitting in seat positions C or D.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 737-900

Review by (New Zealand)

SFO-HKG yesterday. We had a really nice flight on Economy Plus - seats were comfortable with good legroom and good width (I'm 5"9), food was delicious and service was really good. Snacks and drinks available throughout the flight in the galley. Although there were not any personal TV's, a few movies were played on the overhead screens. We were seated in 21A and 21C, therefore we had a good view of the TV's. A flaw with United is the movies they show everyone on the overhead TV screens. I was shocked at amount of explicit sexual stuff in the movies, and adding onto that - theft, crime, violence, lots of kissing - in the movies they show. There were toddlers on the flight, and lots of children/teenagers that mostly were on a school trip. As a teenager, I was appalled by the entertainment shown to everyone - I believe that United should choose the movies that are shown carefully. Despite this, the rest of the flight was enjoyable.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 747-400

Review by (Brazil)

NRT-LAX in the economy plus seats, the recline is almost non-existent, making a long flight very uncomfortable! If at all possible, avoid this plane - this is a 17" seat width plane.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 787-9
Seat Layout3x3x3
Date FlownMay 2015

Review by (United States)

The seats were so small and uncomfortable! The seat rows were so close that my fiance's knees hit the seat in front of him and he couldnt put his tray table down. Additionally, most of the time the seats couldn't lean back (or at least ours couldn't - we were in front of the emergency exit) which was uncomfortable on a 3.5 hour flight. The seats were cramped and uncomfortable and my fiance and I are done flying with united.
Aircraft TypeCRJ 700
Seat Layout2x2
Date FlownJune 2015

Review by (United States)

Flew United on IAD-LAX route intended to be non-stop but we had to land in PHX due to medical emergency from a passenger up in first class. No entertainment system no audio only upside was the power outlet. Otherwise a plain jane seat did have the headrest wings you can bend to hold your head.
Aircraft TypeBOEING 737-900

Review by (United States)

It is embarrassing to call this class as "economy plus" under the circumstances that the other Asian European airlines have started offering much better seats and services. Especially it is shameful that United has to offer such bad service with no sense of customer service and treatment as well as worst seat quality.
Aircraft TypeBOEING 787

Review by (United States)

The new seats are terrible. No thigh support. They slant down so you are constantly sliding forward. Very painful after a three hour flight. Mine had great legroom because I was in the exit row. I am seriously considering giving up my premier 1k status and starting in to earn status on a different airline if they have better seats.
Aircraft TypeAIRBUS A320