Spirit Airlines

Seat Reviews

Viewing TV 12345

"Seats are most uncomfortable"

Trip Verified | Seats are the most uncomfortable I've ever experienced. With my personal minimum bag stuffed under the seat in front I had no leg room. I ended up putting my bag on my lap to be able to extend my legs. Seat spacing is so tight I sat with my arms pulled in to my lap. There is no way you could assume the crash position with your head between your knees. I keep shifting on my seat which was as hard as metal chair. In fact the seats are like metal folding chairs partially covered with a thin leatherette covering. I'm glad it was only a 4 and a half hour flight. Anything longer would have been totally unbearable. I'll never book this airline again. Cheap flight doesn't offset extreme pain.
Date FlownMarch 2018
Seat Storage 12345

"Seat bottom was worn and uncomfortable"

Trip Verified | Seat 13F, exit row window seat on the right side. Legroom is great. Seat bottom was worn and uncomfortable. Seat does not recline. There is a window (some exit row seat do not have windows, I hate not being able to look outside). The tray table is standard size and slides forward. The seat back pocket is also standard size. This seat would be very good if the seat bottom was more comfortable, and it may be on different Spirit aircraft.
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"Seats are hard plastic"

Trip Verified | Seats are hard plastic with a thin vinyl covering over them and 1/4 inch of foam on the bottom. It was a long flight from Florida to Lima and my butt was killing me by the time we got there. You will need to bring your own cushion for long flights - like sitting on bleachers at a ball game!
Date FlownAugust 2017
Viewing Tv Screen 12345
Seat Storage 12345

"blew away my expectations"

Trip Verified | My experience with Spirit blew away my expectations. I flew Spirit coming home from a trip in which I flew in with JetBlue (which has always been my favorite). JetBlue gave me a bit of a hassle because my ticket was booked under my married name and all my IDs are still in my maiden name (whoops!). But when I arrived early to change my boarding pass with Spirit, they were nothing but cheerful and helpful. They changed it with no problem and gave me no attitude or anything (whereas I received a few huffs and eye-rolls from JetBlue). I was still nervous about my seat. When I finally boarded the plane the seats looked normal. My seat was clean, despite a couple of stains on the tray table. No big deal. No tv on the back of the seat, but I had downloaded a couple movies on my phone. You have to pay for food, but whatever. I think water and soda was like $3, and the snacks were around there. I'm between 5'7" and 5'8" and around 145lbs and found my seat to be comfortable. Or, I'll say this: I was equally comfortable on this seat than I was on my JetBlue seat. Both flights were about 5 hours, and sitting on anything for that long is bound to make your bum a little sore. I was able to stretch my legs out underneath the seat in front of me sort of, and rest my head on the window. I even slept! Going into this flight I thought I'd never fly Spirit again. Now I know I will. JetBlue will probably always be my gold standard (free food!!), but Spirit is a close second. The $45 for a carryon is still a bummer though.
Date FlownNovember 2017

"Seats are comfortable"

Verified Review | I read many reviews and was scared to fly this airline but after this past week, I am glad I did. I am 6'4 and I fit perfectly fine in these seats. I had enough leg room, the only problem is that I cannot rest my head on the headrest but I can't do that on any airline. It was 3x3 but really did not make a difference. On my round trip, I sat next to a little girl and on the way back a mother. No difference in space. Seats are comfortable and there is enough room for at least 3 hour flight, if not longer.
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"seats are uncomfortable"

The seats are uncomfortable, tight for a man who is 5'9", height and weight proportional and the back of the seats are so thin that you have no padding. Anyone, a small child (prevalent on these economy flights due to their low cost) tapping, or otherwise touching your seat is immediately noticeable. The seats do not recline. Since the flights are usually sold out there is very little possibility of not having someone next to you. Very disappointing.
Date FlownMarch 2016

"how bad this was"

Spirit Airlines A320 was horrible - and that is the best thing I can say about this up and coming airline! Cannot believe I even had to give them a 1, because it wouldn't take a zero. By the way this is the first time I have ever done a review for anything. That should tell you how bad this was for me and my wife,
Date FlownOctober 2015
Seat Storage 12345

"comfortable for an hour or two"

The seats weren't extremely comfortable. It's a good thing I'm only 5'7". I was the only one sitting in my row without my knees jammed into the seat in front of them. The seat itself wasn't too bad. I could be comfortable for an hour or two, but any longer and it would feel cramped.
Date FlownAugust 2015
Seat Storage 12345

"the seats are comfortable"

Spirit Airlines A319s still have the 'older' style seats that have moveable headrests and recline. The seats are comfortable, but are very cramped for anyone over 5'8". My knees were touching the seat in front of me. However, for the price I'll put up with the cramped space for a few hours. Spirit does not offer Wi-Fi or any IFE, so there are no big boxes under the seat taking legroom - are we really that much of an addiction society that we need IFE and Wi-Fi on planes??
Seat Layout3X3
Date FlownJune 2015
Seat Storage 12345

"had no problems whatsoever getting comfortable"

I'm 5' 10" (but very skinny) and I had no problems whatsoever getting comfortable. On my way to my destination (PHL-ORD) my seat did not recline, but space was adequate. On the way back (ORD-PHL) the seat did recline, and again I was comfortable. The seats were moderately worn/ugly and not particularly cushy (especially the backrest) but the headrests do move around a bit. Perfectly acceptable for short flights; I'd keep it to a max of maybe 4 hours, any more than that and you probably won't be comfortable.
Date FlownJune 2015

Spirit Airlines Photos

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]