Airline of the Year

Monarch Airlines

Seat Reviews

Viewing TV 12345

"headrest is non existent"

Verified Review | Flew with Monarch tonight just back, overall experience was good minus a few small problems. The check in and boarding was fine, and easy to deal with. A set of friendly staff, we departed pretty much on time, and arrived 30 minutes early than scheduled. Modern, clean A321 as you would expect but the quality of the padding on the seating has to be questioned. The headrest is non existent. It's a plastic board with a thin layer on and it's generally uncomfortable I managed to bare with it for 2 hours, but on a longer flight this really wouldn't cut it. I'd fly Monarch again however as they are far from poor.
Aircraft TypeA321
Date FlownDecember 2016

"experience unbelievably uncomfortable"

I'm 6ft 2 tall and I was crammed into the middle seat of 3 on a 4 hour plus flight from Manchester to Tenerife. The seats were so close together that my knees were sticking into the back of the passenger in front. I struggled to get at the literature in the mesh in front and this included safety literature. The drop down tray stuck into my midriff making the whole flight experience unbelievably uncomfortable. My wife who was sat to my right is considerably shorter than me but also struggled to get comfortable. It is about time that a standard is introduced by the authorities forcing Air lines to provide comfortable seating for ALL passengers. Why am I and others of similar stature and size made to feel truly second class and asked to pay extra for comfort. If anyone reading this has any idea how to start a campaign to get comfort for all I'll be first in line to help out. There was no problem with any other part of this Monarch flight and the staff were fine but seating needs sorting.
Date FlownOctober 2016

"inhumane and cramped"

Worst legroom of any budget airline. Do not fly with Monarch if you are tall as it is inhumane and cramped even before the seat in front is reclined. Upon reclining the row in front the seat is basically unusable. As much as I hate Ryanair, their non-reclining awful seats are more comfortable and offer more legroom than Monarch. Perhaps the EU should regulate airlines like Monarch more closely when it comes to cramped travelling conditions.
Date FlownJanuary 2016

"worst quality of seat"

Friendly staff but the worst quality of seat I have ever experienced. The cushioning is reduced to the absolute minimum and the headrest is like a big of plastic covered with a thin cloth. Appalling. Paid for priority check in and boarding which is also a waste of money unless it's high season. Didn't appear to be any mechanism for priority boarding in Tenerife. We will never fly Monarch ever again.
Aircraft TypeA321
Date FlownDecember 2015
Seat Storage 12345

"worst seats I have experienced"

Monarch Airlines flight from Dubrovnik to LGW. Check in was fine and plane left on time and arrived early. All good but these are simply the worst seats I have ever experienced. I am 6' 4" tall so always a squeeze but I was literally physically wedged into a seat by the window. Intensely claustrophobic and after an hour I started experiencing severe leg cramp and near panic attacks. The plane was full so I had to deal with it. After arrival I could barely walk and it took me several hours to get proper movement back into my legs. I suppose this is a deliberate ploy to sell extra leg room seats but frankly I felt that the airline are getting close to providing unsafe seating with health implications. This was an agonizing experience - never again.
Date FlownSeptember 2015
Seat Storage 12345

"I would recommend Monarch"

We travelled Gatwick to Funchal and found staff both outward and inward flight were very good. We did not order food on the flight. Downside we were delayed on the ouward and inward bound flights - air traffic at Gatwick and weather at Funchal on the way home. For a short haul and cheap break I would recommend Monarch.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 737
Date FlownJuly 2015

"this was pretty bad"

I wasn't expecting much legroom but this was pretty bad. I'm 5'11 my partner 5'8 and we were very cramped. When passengers in front reclined there was little room for my head and it was nearly impossible to get up and out. If I had to fly with Monarch again I'd definitely pay for extra legroom.
Aircraft TypeAIRBUS A320-200
Viewing Tv Screen 12345

"the most comfortable economy class seats"

Well done Monarch - these are the most comfortable economy class seats I have experienced in a long time. Thomson/Thomas Cook please copy.
Aircraft TypeAIRBUS A320
Viewing Tv Screen N/A

"very narrow and the legroom appalling"

If you have to fly economy you could do worse than this. That said at 5'9" and heavy on the hips I found the seats very narrow and the legroom appalling. If you use this company definitely get aisle seats where the layout changes from 3x3x3 to 2x3x2 at the rear. These have a good couple of inches more room than their counterparts throughout the rest of the plane. Makes a huge difference. As for being able to make the brace position in any seat absolutely impossible even for a child. You get what you pay for and I didn't pay very much so can't expect the royal treatment!
Aircraft TypeA300

"well worth the upgrade"

We opted for extra legroom seats and got 10 b/c each way - these are just by the main door so have unlimited legroom - well worth the upgrade as the normal Monarch seats are painful and I wouldn't fancy 5 minutes in them never mind 4 hours which is what some people had to endure.
Aircraft TypeB757-200