KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

Seat Reviews

Viewing TV 12345

"new slimline seats are torturous"

(Spain)

Verified Review | New slimline seats in economy plus and economy are torturous. Reading other reviews I need not say more I am not the only one feeling this. I am platinum with AF/KLM 3 years now and it has been the quick race to the bottom for KLM . I will avoid anything KLM at all costs from now on if possible! My bottom and legs were numb the whole flight there is no padding and to boot the curt unfriendly service doesn't help but in talking with crew they are not to happy about the fast changes at KLM.
Seat Storage 12345

"seat pitch and recline OK"

Verified Review | Seats on KLMs 747-400 are wider and softer compared to KLMs modern aircraft (Boeing 787/777). Seat pitch and recline are OK. In-flight entertainment system in KLM 747 is old, visibility and sound quality is mediocre and selection is limited. Volume of announcements is often very high, which is unpleasant. No seat power supply. Seats in economy comfort section and first few rows of economy section are quiet and have more privacy. The economy comfort section is separated from economy. And the first 7 rows in economy are arranged 3-0-3 around a central block (stairs to upper deck, galleys etc).
Aircraft TypeBoeing 747-400
Date FlownOctober 2016
Seat Storage 12345

"seats are designed for children"

These 'slimline' seats are designed for children, not full sized adults. The most uncomfortable flights I've ever had, and I've had a few bad ones before this. Looking at the inflight magazine they've shoved the same number of seats (400 odd) from a 747 into a 777 which as far as I am aware is a shorter and narrower fuselage. The seat count is in their own magazine. Constantly touching the man next to me, who wasnt fat and neither am I. Just dreadful. KLM ought to be ashamed of themselves.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 777-300
Date FlownOctober 2016
Seat Storage 12345

"they are hugely uncomfortable"

It seems that the new layout in KLM planes is maximizing space by reducing seat size. To my surprise the legroom seems to be slightly improved. However these are the narrowest seats I have ever sat in. It is impossible for two normal sized adults to sit comfortably (I am not a huge guy 180cm 88kg) but I was pushing into the shoulders of bother passengers on either side of me. Watch out for window seats also. If you are seated at a window and the wall between windows happens to be directly beside your seat it will encroach on you and push you into the person seated beside you. I don't know who approved the new seating but they are hugely uncomfortable.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 787
Seat Layout3x3x3
Seat Storage 12345

"the legroom was so minute"

(South Korea)

Verified Review | Truly awful! I travel a lot and I never normally take the time to write a review, however, I felt compelled to in this case, as this was the most uncomfortable trip I have ever had. I honestly would have preferred to stand the whole way if this was an option. The legroom was so minute. When the passenger in front of my reclined their seat I literally had their seat touching my knees. There was also a fixed metal construction under the seat in front which took up approximately 30% of the sparse legroom I had available to me in the first place. There was so little leg room that I even had to scrape my legs between the seat in front and my arm support when leaving my seat to get circulation back in my legs (and I had an aisle seat!!). When the passenger in front moved their seat back I could not even see the tv screen because the angle was too low (even when I tilted the screen up). My 13 year old son said it was the most cramped seat he had ever had too (and he is one foot shorter than I am). When I pointed out to the cabin crew the farcical amount of space I had a available to me they said there was nothing they could do. When I returned from this trip on on a different airline (also travelling economy), it felt like I was in business class, in comparison to the KLM ordeal. Never again with KLM - truly awful!!
Aircraft TypeBoeing 747
Seat Storage 12345

"worst airline experience ever"

(Denmark)

We booked KLM for our group of 6 family members AAL-AMS-BKK, a general delay of 2 hours from the start was kept during the whole flight. KLM managed to delay part of our luggage for 3 days before it showed up, meaning we had to stay additional days in Bangkok waiting for it to arrive, still waiting for their answer on my request for compensation Anyway in regard to seating on the 777 we were feeling like cattle on the way to the slaughter, never in my life have I been on such limited space, so for the return trip we changed upgraded to premium economy, what a joke, the seat could recline 4-5 cm more, but it was still terrible. TV went on and off and had to be reset several times by the attendant, food was not according to menu on both flights, meat balls was supposed to be chicken and the other way around, vegetarian breakfast on a long flight. My worst airline experience ever.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 777
Date FlownJuly 2016
Seat Storage 12345

"felt like a low cost airline"

(Hong Kong)

The seat are really the worst part and I don't understand how an airline that defines itself as world class can pack customers like cows in a barn. I am slim and 168 cm and I had difficulties fitting in the space. I had middle seat with a man crammed next to the window not being able to fit his legs, apparently they could not even fit him anywhere else in the flight. The seat of the lady sitting on the other side could not recline so you can imagine the frustration that builds up sitting in uncomfortable seats and position for 12 hours straight. I felt like I was travelling in a low cost airline and would strongly recommend anyone to choose another airline
Aircraft TypeBoeing 747-400
Seat Layout2x4x2
Date FlownJune 2016
Seat Storage 12345

"3-4-3 layout was a nightmare"

I have flown AMS to JNB return with KLM in Boeing 777-200 with 3-4-3 seat layout. That was a nightmare, especially on the way back. First of all there was no possibility to choose your seat even 24 hrs before. I got a middle seat. I'm 170 cm tall and relatively slim. Next to me were, from one side a Dutch man 2 mtrs high, and on the other side, a sportsmen. Their shoulders were wider than these new "super-slim" 10-in-row chairs. Next time, I better fly with stopovers and not with KLM on B777-200.
Date FlownMarch 2016
Seat Storage 12345

"the worst experience ever"

(Norway)

The worst experience ever with the "New ergonomically designed seats" on the flight from Sao Paulo to Amsterdam last week. Sitting in the window seat, I felt pressed to the wall, by the passenger next to me, a normally built man, who obviously needed more space. Whatever position I sat, resulted in contact with the passenger next to me. This was never a problem with the old, comfortable seats. They had plenty of space for normally built passengers. I attempted to sleep by standing for a couple of hours by the restrooms, but was not allowed by the flight attendant. I was told that the seat widths are the same as earlier on KLM aircraft, which seems to be incorrect, after reading the reviews on this site, where so many others are complaining about the narrow seat width.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 777-200ER
Date FlownJuly 2016
Seat Storage 12345

"seats are the worst imaginable"

The KLM Boeing 777-200 seats are the absolute worst imaginable. Narrow, uncomfortable and impossible to watch the inflight movie monitor with the front seat reclined. They have decided that even a minimum amount of comfort is too much in their effort to find ways to save costs. It doesn't matter how well they score on other points but I will not be flying with KLM anytime soon.
Date FlownJune 2016