Top 100 Airlines

KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

Seat Reviews

Viewing TV 12345

"seats became more narrow"

A general note in regard to KLM's new updated Economy cabin. They have been promoting the new cabin and seats as an improvement, ergonomically better, etc. Fact is that the seats became more narrow, meaning a large group of people (in particular the Dutch who are generally taller) are crammed into the seat now. So instead of improvement, the comfort became much less and, as some say, feels like your on a low cost carrier airline. Generally very happy to fly KLM looking at quality of food and, for Dutch standards ok service. Cabin service improved a lot over the past years. Comfort unfortunately not, wich is sad considering many of the competing airlines of KLM score high in comfort.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 777
Seat LayoutAisle
Seat Storage 12345

"seat cannot recline much"

The A330-300 leg room is short. The seat cannot recline much. The worst is that KLM put an electronic box under the seat to take away the last existing small leg room from me. KLM has no attention to provide the basic comfort to its passengers. From that electronic box, I do not feel KLM respect its passengers.
Aircraft TypeA330-300
Seat Layout2x4x2
Seat Storage 12345

"what a horrible experience"

(Hong Kong)

What a horrible experience! It is our first and last time to ever fly KLM. My husband is a very tall man (over 2m) so we will always book premium economy. In this case, KLM has named it "economy comfort" but there's nothing "comfort" about it. On our flight to Amsterdam from Hong Kong my husband couldn't actually fit/sit in the super narrow seats. How embarrassing. We travel frequently and this has never happened. Luckily, the purser upgraded him to business and promised to send an email warning them about our return journey in a week's time. But when we checked into our flight home to HK there was no record of this issue. In fact, once we were directed to the ticket counter to get some help, the woman there was incredibly rude, telling us it's our fault for not checking the seat width online (I guess assuming that an international carrier that offers "economy comfort" would be like every other international carrier we've flown was the wrong thing to do after all). She also said that the seat widths are the same on all other airlines which is factually incorrect. And after reading the reviews on this site, I've noticed that so many others have complained about the super narrow seat width. So now, we are at the gate, having been told my husband may not be able to fly home, and we've been forced to pay 700 Euros for him to get a seat in business class. We certainly can't afford to pay this price, but how else is he going to get home?! There are other smaller items I would complain about; however, I've written enough already. What a horrible horrible airline and a sad way to end what would have been a fantastic trip to Amsterdam for my husband's 40th birthday.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 747
Seat Layout3x2

"cramped 3-4-3 layout"

This plane had the "new" interior and it's horrible. Extremely cramped 3-4-3 layout, narrow seats but a little more legroom than in the A330-200 for example (probably due to the super thin seats). The ailes are so small I cannot walk straight without bumping into people so you have to walk somewhat sideways. After about 1 hour me and my GF both had a back ache. My healthy 27 year old back still hurts like hell more than 48 hours after the flight. I always saw KLM as one of the premium airlines. Well, after this not anymore.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 777-200
Date FlownMarch 2016
Seat Storage 12345

"seated in a lost-cost carrier"

(Denmark)

KLM is one of many airlines that have introduced slim-line seats, meaning that the seats are much thinner, giving slightly more room for your knees, which is much a appreciated by a tall frequent flyer such as myself. However, KLM Economy Class still needs some improvement. The slim seats feel a bit hard, almost like riding on a citybus, and due to the cramped seat configuration of 3x4x3 you are not going to feel very comfortable unless you are very small or anorectic. I was seatead in 32D, one of the bulkhead seats, and my sleep was constantly interrupted by people bumping into my shoulder. At every meal-service I saw the poor cabin crew trying to get their trolly through the narrow corridor, which often resulted in bumping into seats (and people). It is a pity, because KLM is a good airline with a high level of customer service, but when you fly Economy on their 777 fleet, you feel that you are seated in a lost-cost carrier.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 777-300
Date FlownMarch 2016
Seat Storage 12345

"width of seat isn't good"

(Indonesia)

The Boeing 777-300 seat is pretty decent. Seat pitch was perfect, however the width of the seat isn't good because the aircraft seat configuration was 3-4-3 (ten in total, instead of nine). The seat recline is doing its work. Aisle access is pretty tight. IFE was annoying - remote is not responsive, the TV is not touchscreen, lack of music an films.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 777-300
Date FlownJanuary 2016

"standard economy seat"

What KLM sells as its intra-Europe "business class" product is in essence a standard economy seat (about 17 inches wide) with (perhaps) an extra two or three inches of pitch (legroom), with the middle seat blocked, and all business seats located in the front of the cabin. KLM's approach is very similar to what British Airways sells on intra-Europe flights. Because the fare for KLM's business class is so much higher than standard economy, the forward business class area is nearly empty (out of 16 available seats, only 5 were filled) which provided plenty of room for carry-on bags. I found the seats odd with an irritating built-in recline. My back hurt after a 90-minute flight from AMS to ARN. An empty middle seat is nice, but not really worth the cost for a 60-90 minute flight. Given the price differential I am inclined to stick with SAS-Plus and trying to get an aisle seat.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 737-800
Seat Layout3x3
Date FlownJanuary 2016

"recommend the seat"

Sat in seat 19J, a window seat. It was a nice seat with adjustable headrest which is nice because I'm quiet tall. Seat width was okay, not amazing but fine. Legroom wasn't enough for me but as I already noticed I am a tall person (184cm , 6"1). Great choice in the entertainment system. I would reccomend the seat!
Aircraft TypeBoeing 777-200
Seat Layout3x3x3
Date FlownOctober 2015
Seat Storage 12345

"sandwich 10 people across"

My whole experience with booking on KLM from Sydney to Amsterdam, return, has put me off ever using them again. First there were enormous problems with each leg having a different booking code, and KLM just told me to contact each airline individually to find it out, and then arrange special meals and window seats. Have you ever tried doing this with Jetstar — impossible! I spent maybe 2 hrs trying to sort this out with my non-KLM legs. Then there was the problem that special meals never arrived despite showing on the booking. But the absolute worst part was the way KLM sandwich 10 people across in narrow seats with your knees butting up against the next seat (I’m 183cm). Forget about accessing your carry on or going to the toilet if you’re not in an aisle. And if you ARE in the aisle you’re constantly being bumped because of the narrowness, or getting out for the others to go to the loo. The plain was steamingly hot during boarding and the antiquated entertainment system crashed soon after. The staff were very competent and did their best but the lasting impression is of a once-great airline run into the ground and rendered unflyable by putting short term profit ahead of long term customer loyalty. Never again, KLM.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 777-300ER
Date FlownDecember 2015

"extra seat pitch"

I was in seat 5F which normally belongs to the business class rows when fully booked. This window seat is a standard seat wiht some extra seat pitch as it could be used for Business class as well in case the bookings are sufficient. One small minus on this seat: there is a control box for the (no longer functional) IFE installed, slightly reducing your feetroom. Plus you almost have two windows available and with fully reclined seat you can comfortably look out of the rear window. For some people it might be disturbing that the seperator curtain between economy and business can be hung in your seatrow, also here depending on the load booked to the business class.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 737-800