Top 100 Airlines

KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

Seat Reviews

Viewing TV 12345

"they are hugely uncomfortable"

It seems that the new layout in KLM planes is maximizing space by reducing seat size. To my surprise the legroom seems to be slightly improved. However these are the narrowest seats I have ever sat in. It is impossible for two normal sized adults to sit comfortably (I am not a huge guy 180cm 88kg) but I was pushing into the shoulders of bother passengers on either side of me. Watch out for window seats also. If you are seated at a window and the wall between windows happens to be directly beside your seat it will encroach on you and push you into the person seated beside you. I don't know who approved the new seating but they are hugely uncomfortable.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 787
Seat Layout3x3x3
Date FlownSeptember 2016
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
Seat Storage 12345

"the legroom was so minute"

(South Korea)

Verified Review | Truly awful! I travel a lot and I never normally take the time to write a review, however, I felt compelled to in this case, as this was the most uncomfortable trip I have ever had. I honestly would have preferred to stand the whole way if this was an option. The legroom was so minute. When the passenger in front of my reclined their seat I literally had their seat touching my knees. There was also a fixed metal construction under the seat in front which took up approximately 30% of the sparse legroom I had available to me in the first place. There was so little leg room that I even had to scrape my legs between the seat in front and my arm support when leaving my seat to get circulation back in my legs (and I had an aisle seat!!). When the passenger in front moved their seat back I could not even see the tv screen because the angle was too low (even when I tilted the screen up). My 13 year old son said it was the most cramped seat he had ever had too (and he is one foot shorter than I am). When I pointed out to the cabin crew the farcical amount of space I had a available to me they said there was nothing they could do. When I returned from this trip on on a different airline (also travelling economy), it felt like I was in business class, in comparison to the KLM ordeal. Never again with KLM - truly awful!!
Aircraft TypeBoeing 747
Date FlownSeptember 2016
Seat Storage 12345

"worst airline experience ever"

(Denmark)

We booked KLM for our group of 6 family members AAL-AMS-BKK, a general delay of 2 hours from the start was kept during the whole flight. KLM managed to delay part of our luggage for 3 days before it showed up, meaning we had to stay additional days in Bangkok waiting for it to arrive, still waiting for their answer on my request for compensation Anyway in regard to seating on the 777 we were feeling like cattle on the way to the slaughter, never in my life have I been on such limited space, so for the return trip we changed upgraded to premium economy, what a joke, the seat could recline 4-5 cm more, but it was still terrible. TV went on and off and had to be reset several times by the attendant, food was not according to menu on both flights, meat balls was supposed to be chicken and the other way around, vegetarian breakfast on a long flight. My worst airline experience ever.
Date FlownJuly 2016
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
Seat Storage 12345

"felt like a low cost airline"

(Hong Kong)

The seat are really the worst part and I don't understand how an airline that defines itself as world class can pack customers like cows in a barn. I am slim and 168 cm and I had difficulties fitting in the space. I had middle seat with a man crammed next to the window not being able to fit his legs, apparently they could not even fit him anywhere else in the flight. The seat of the lady sitting on the other side could not recline so you can imagine the frustration that builds up sitting in uncomfortable seats and position for 12 hours straight. I felt like I was travelling in a low cost airline and would strongly recommend anyone to choose another airline
Aircraft TypeBoeing 747-400
Seat Layout2x4x2
Date FlownJune 2016
Seat Storage 12345

"3-4-3 layout was a nightmare"

I have flown AMS to JNB return with KLM in Boeing 777-200 with 3-4-3 seat layout. That was a nightmare, especially on the way back. First of all there was no possibility to choose your seat even 24 hrs before. I got a middle seat. I'm 170 cm tall and relatively slim. Next to me were, from one side a Dutch man 2 mtrs high, and on the other side, a sportsmen. Their shoulders were wider than these new "super-slim" 10-in-row chairs. Next time, I better fly with stopovers and not with KLM on B777-200.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 777-200
Date FlownMarch 2016
Seat Storage 12345

"the worst experience ever"

(Norway)

The worst experience ever with the "New ergonomically designed seats" on the flight from Sao Paulo to Amsterdam last week. Sitting in the window seat, I felt pressed to the wall, by the passenger next to me, a normally built man, who obviously needed more space. Whatever position I sat, resulted in contact with the passenger next to me. This was never a problem with the old, comfortable seats. They had plenty of space for normally built passengers. I attempted to sleep by standing for a couple of hours by the restrooms, but was not allowed by the flight attendant. I was told that the seat widths are the same as earlier on KLM aircraft, which seems to be incorrect, after reading the reviews on this site, where so many others are complaining about the narrow seat width.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 777-200ER
Date FlownJuly 2016
Seat Storage 12345

"seats are the worst imaginable"

The KLM Boeing 777-200 seats are the absolute worst imaginable. Narrow, uncomfortable and impossible to watch the inflight movie monitor with the front seat reclined. They have decided that even a minimum amount of comfort is too much in their effort to find ways to save costs. It doesn't matter how well they score on other points but I will not be flying with KLM anytime soon.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 777-200
Date FlownJune 2016
Seat Storage 12345

"the most uncomfortable flight"

I flew from Johannesburg to Amsterdam on what can only be described as the most uncomfortable flight of my life. As a regular KLM customer for over 20 years and a current gold card holder I decided to upgrade to premium economy for the flight to ensure that I had a bit more comfort, how wrong I was. OK, I had a bit of legroom but the seats are far too narrow in the new 3x4x3 configuration. Whatever position I sat in resulted in contact with the passenger beside me (I was in a window seat), it was most uncomfortable, at the very least you expect to have some personal space when you fly economy "comfort". Sadly I will be avoiding this new layout whenever I can in future, I really enjoyed flying with KLM because being a gold card holder everything else is fantastic. Now I always look to fly with another airline within the Skyteam group of airlines, I have actually started my rewards programme with Star Alliance because of the narrow seats issue with KLM, I'm sure I'm not the only customer that is unhappy, So far I've flown 20 times with KLM this year (2016) and I have not booked any more flights. The best thing about the flight was the new entertainment screen and the crew, the cabin crew were also complaining bitterly about the new layout because it makes their job a lot harder. I can see KLM going back to 3x3x3 because a lot of people are complaining, I suggest that you look for other options before booking on a KLM aircraft with this layout!
Seat Storage 12345

"seats became more narrow"

A general note in regard to KLM's new updated Economy cabin. They have been promoting the new cabin and seats as an improvement, ergonomically better, etc. Fact is that the seats became more narrow, meaning a large group of people (in particular the Dutch who are generally taller) are crammed into the seat now. So instead of improvement, the comfort became much less and, as some say, feels like your on a low cost carrier airline. Generally very happy to fly KLM looking at quality of food and, for Dutch standards ok service. Cabin service improved a lot over the past years. Comfort unfortunately not, wich is sad considering many of the competing airlines of KLM score high in comfort.
Seat LayoutAisle
Seat Storage 12345

"seat cannot recline much"

The A330-300 leg room is short. The seat cannot recline much. The worst is that KLM put an electronic box under the seat to take away the last existing small leg room from me. KLM has no attention to provide the basic comfort to its passengers. From that electronic box, I do not feel KLM respect its passengers.
Aircraft TypeA330-300