Best Cabin Crew

KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

Seat Reviews

Viewing TV 12345

"width of seat isn't good"

(Indonesia)

The Boeing 777-300 seat is pretty decent. Seat pitch was perfect, however the width of the seat isn't good because the aircraft seat configuration was 3-4-3 (ten in total, instead of nine). The seat recline is doing its work. Aisle access is pretty tight. IFE was annoying - remote is not responsive, the TV is not touchscreen, lack of music an films.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 777-300
Date FlownJanuary 2016

"standard economy seat"

What KLM sells as its intra-Europe "business class" product is in essence a standard economy seat (about 17 inches wide) with (perhaps) an extra two or three inches of pitch (legroom), with the middle seat blocked, and all business seats located in the front of the cabin. KLM's approach is very similar to what British Airways sells on intra-Europe flights. Because the fare for KLM's business class is so much higher than standard economy, the forward business class area is nearly empty (out of 16 available seats, only 5 were filled) which provided plenty of room for carry-on bags. I found the seats odd with an irritating built-in recline. My back hurt after a 90-minute flight from AMS to ARN. An empty middle seat is nice, but not really worth the cost for a 60-90 minute flight. Given the price differential I am inclined to stick with SAS-Plus and trying to get an aisle seat.
Date FlownJanuary 2016

"recommend the seat"

Sat in seat 19J, a window seat. It was a nice seat with adjustable headrest which is nice because I'm quiet tall. Seat width was okay, not amazing but fine. Legroom wasn't enough for me but as I already noticed I am a tall person (184cm , 6"1). Great choice in the entertainment system. I would reccomend the seat!
Aircraft TypeBoeing 777-200
Seat Layout3x3x3
Date FlownOctober 2015
Seat Storage 12345

"sandwich 10 people across"

My whole experience with booking on KLM from Sydney to Amsterdam, return, has put me off ever using them again. First there were enormous problems with each leg having a different booking code, and KLM just told me to contact each airline individually to find it out, and then arrange special meals and window seats. Have you ever tried doing this with Jetstar — impossible! I spent maybe 2 hrs trying to sort this out with my non-KLM legs. Then there was the problem that special meals never arrived despite showing on the booking. But the absolute worst part was the way KLM sandwich 10 people across in narrow seats with your knees butting up against the next seat (I’m 183cm). Forget about accessing your carry on or going to the toilet if you’re not in an aisle. And if you ARE in the aisle you’re constantly being bumped because of the narrowness, or getting out for the others to go to the loo. The plain was steamingly hot during boarding and the antiquated entertainment system crashed soon after. The staff were very competent and did their best but the lasting impression is of a once-great airline run into the ground and rendered unflyable by putting short term profit ahead of long term customer loyalty. Never again, KLM.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 777-300ER
Date FlownDecember 2015

"extra seat pitch"

I was in seat 5F which normally belongs to the business class rows when fully booked. This window seat is a standard seat wiht some extra seat pitch as it could be used for Business class as well in case the bookings are sufficient. One small minus on this seat: there is a control box for the (no longer functional) IFE installed, slightly reducing your feetroom. Plus you almost have two windows available and with fully reclined seat you can comfortably look out of the rear window. For some people it might be disturbing that the seperator curtain between economy and business can be hung in your seatrow, also here depending on the load booked to the business class.
Date FlownDecember 2015
Seat Storage 12345

"upgrade to an economy comfort"

Used 21000 miles to upgrade to an economy comfort seat on KLM flight from Toronto to Amsterdam. Liked the quiet and space, especially the elbow and leg room next to the chair in seat 16E, like a mini aisle, but without the traffic. Regretfully, the inflight entertainment was not working, and could not be made to show any movie or TV. Flight arrived quite early but then I had to wait for the luggage for over half an hour.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 747-400
Seat Layout2x3
Date FlownNovember 2015
Seat Storage 12345

"the seats were incredibly tight"

I recently flew from Toronto to Amsterdam on an overnight flight on the Boeing 747-400 Combi in regular economy class. It was the worst flight experience I have ever had. As others have already stated, the seats were incredibly tight to sit in and reclined only slightly. The rows of seats were so close together that one had to be a contortionist to extricate oneself from a seat. In addition, it seems that the entertainment system has been retrofitted into the plane resulting in boxes on the floor throughout the cabin. If such a box is under the seat in front of you, you have lost half of the room allocated for your feet. I have flown regular economy class on other airlines many times and I have never encountered such an uncomfortable setup on an airplane. I spoke to others on this flight and all were in agreement. Our flight experience was so bad, so uncomfortable, so miserable that we will never use KLM again. My suggestion would be for the executives at KLM to sit in these seats for a long haul intercontinental flight so that they can experience the results of their decisions.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 747-400
Date FlownSeptember 2015
Seat Storage 12345

"the most uncomfortable seat"

(Indonesia)

I was seated 21A outward and 20A on the return flight. KLM economy class is the most uncomfortable seat I have flown - more leg room will be wonderful addition.The only helping hand is the headrest has tilting adjustment which is great improvement for me.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 777-300ER
Date FlownAugust 2015

"the seat reclines more"

My seat was 05F, an Economy Comfort seat. KLM charges extra for this seat, but was worth it. You have more leg room and the seat reclines more. Also, as your seat is close to the front of the cabin, you can disembark the plane much faster. The view of the overhead video screen wasn't good though. As this row is the first row in the Economy-zone, KLM has a curtain between this row and the row in front. The curtain blocked the view on the video screen.
Date FlownAugust 2015
Viewing Tv Screen 12345

"the worst flight I've experienced"

Been flying with KLM for over 25 years now in various classes but last experience in economy from Houston to Amsterdam was the worst flight I've ever experienced. I am about to end my long term relationship with KLM after this. I am 1.95m tall and not so thin, and was sitting with my wife and son in row 33 (all 3 seats), I was in the aisle seat. It was physically impossible for me to sit with my legs straight out in front of me there simply wasn't enough room to fit my bones between the seats, so I had to splay my legs outwards. On the outward aisle side my leg couldn't fit under the arm rest (which is fixed and can't move up) so it was digging into the top of my leg all the time. On the inside my leg was now in my son's seat space and my feet couldn't get under the seat due to the box on the floor. My son is also over 1.90m so he was already experiencing similar issues, without me using his leg room. All this was without the person in front reclining their seat. We tried to lift the armrests to collectively give us more space, but they only go to about 45 degrees as they simply cannot fit between the seats at chest height so these were at best under my armpits. Third issue: just sitting in the seat my shoulder was touching my sons shoulder, pure and simply the seats are only as wide as a person, nothing more. Fourth issue: if my wife or son wanted to go to the toilet they had to climb over me to get out. Not ideal but if were not family this is extremely unpleasant for everyone involved. Bottom line: this is the worst long haul flight I have ever made with KLM, or any airline come to that. This has never happened to me before outside of one other (also with KLM) experience on a short haul flight (~2 hours), but for an intercontinental flight of ~10 hours this is terrible. Economy means budget and therefore maybe some discomfort, but it should never result in physical pain to anyone, or offensive intrusion of one passengers legs into another passengers seat space. In my 25 years flying with KLM this problem has only got worse, but became critical around the time KLM merged with Air France. KLM's relationship with it's passenger's has deteriorated to one of simply money - everyone buys a basic seat, but if you're tall or not thin then we (KLM) know you'll probably pay even more to get a slightly better seat. There is no concept of building a long term relationship with customers, or meeting their needs, so long as we make a few bucks out of you, we're happy even though we know you're not. Extremely short sighted and selfish attitude from a long time national carrier that should know and aspire to something better. KLM may think all its customers look at is the bottom line and that cheap is the name of the game, but if that's the case then why do they offer lots of seats at extra expense to avoid incredibly bad seat conditions. It might surprise you to learn that if I'm going to have to pay a bit more to get a better seat then I'd be prepared to pay it up front to guarantee seat quality and comfort! That attitude builds customer loyalty and satisfaction, not fear, discomfort and pain!
Aircraft TypeBoeing 747