KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

Seat Reviews

Viewing TV 12345

Review by (United States) 28th July 2015

Been flying with KLM for over 25 years now in various classes but last experience in economy from Houston to Amsterdam was the worst flight I've ever experienced. I am about to end my long term relationship with KLM after this. I am 1.95m tall and not so thin, and was sitting with my wife and son in row 33 (all 3 seats), I was in the aisle seat. It was physically impossible for me to sit with my legs straight out in front of me there simply wasn't enough room to fit my bones between the seats, so I had to splay my legs outwards. On the outward aisle side my leg couldn't fit under the arm rest (which is fixed and can't move up) so it was digging into the top of my leg all the time. On the inside my leg was now in my son's seat space and my feet couldn't get under the seat due to the box on the floor. My son is also over 1.90m so he was already experiencing similar issues, without me using his leg room. All this was without the person in front reclining their seat. We tried to lift the armrests to collectively give us more space, but they only go to about 45 degrees as they simply cannot fit between the seats at chest height so these were at best under my armpits. Third issue: just sitting in the seat my shoulder was touching my sons shoulder, pure and simply the seats are only as wide as a person, nothing more. Fourth issue: if my wife or son wanted to go to the toilet they had to climb over me to get out. Not ideal but if were not family this is extremely unpleasant for everyone involved. Bottom line: this is the worst long haul flight I have ever made with KLM, or any airline come to that. This has never happened to me before outside of one other (also with KLM) experience on a short haul flight (~2 hours), but for an intercontinental flight of ~10 hours this is terrible. Economy means budget and therefore maybe some discomfort, but it should never result in physical pain to anyone, or offensive intrusion of one passengers legs into another passengers seat space. In my 25 years flying with KLM this problem has only got worse, but became critical around the time KLM merged with Air France. KLM's relationship with it's passenger's has deteriorated to one of simply money - everyone buys a basic seat, but if you're tall or not thin then we (KLM) know you'll probably pay even more to get a slightly better seat. There is no concept of building a long term relationship with customers, or meeting their needs, so long as we make a few bucks out of you, we're happy even though we know you're not. Extremely short sighted and selfish attitude from a long time national carrier that should know and aspire to something better. KLM may think all its customers look at is the bottom line and that cheap is the name of the game, but if that's the case then why do they offer lots of seats at extra expense to avoid incredibly bad seat conditions. It might surprise you to learn that if I'm going to have to pay a bit more to get a better seat then I'd be prepared to pay it up front to guarantee seat quality and comfort! That attitude builds customer loyalty and satisfaction, not fear, discomfort and pain!
Aircraft TypeBoeing 747
Date Flown28-07-2015
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure

Review by (Italy) 28th July 2015

AMS-CPT, the new economy seat on this 11hrs day flight. The screen resolution is great, impressive movie selection. Music selection was very poor. The legroom (I'm 1.83) was very fine, seat is on the narrow side, I played elbow with the elderly guy sitting next to me for the whole flight. Food was horrendous, the pre-landing snack (a heated microwave pizza) was the highlight. Ice cream was a nice touch. Crew fantastic, very attentive and polite. All in all a very nice experience, except for the food.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 777-200
Date Flown28-07-2015

Review by (United Arab Emirates) 17th July 2015

Dubai - Amsterdam in Comfort Economy. I'm 187cm tall and still felt I had a lot of legroom. Food was OK and service was very good. IFE had good choice of movies. I never slept so well in economy before so I was happy to spend the little more on comfort economy. Also liked the 2x4x2 arrangement as it was just my wife and I next to each other.
Aircraft TypeA330-300
Date Flown17-07-2015

Review by (United States) 14th June 2015

The non-stop flight was what got me to book this from DFW to Amsterdam. I have flown Delta and American internationally before, so I was appalled at the lack of room at the seat. My 5'4" body had my knees touching the seat in front. When that passenger leaned back, he was literally in my lap tray. There was no room at my feet for even a purse. My arms had to be hugged to my chest for the long flight. Other that the extreme discomfort, I found the flight crew to be very nice.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 747-400
Date Flown14-06-2015

Review by (Netherlands) 29th March 2015

Seats in the new configuration are an absolute nightmare. On a long flight (17hrs) I really suffered due to the narrow seat. I was sitting shoulder to shoulder with the passenger next to me and I am not exaggerating!
Aircraft TypeBOEING 777-200

Review by (Singapore) 21st February 2015

Flew from SIN to AMS return. Very very poor economy class seat especially for intercontinental flights above 10 hours. Seats are extremely squeezy (not sure why KLM adopted a 3x4x3 seat layout when other long haul airlines rarely do). Recline is absolutely horrendous for a overnight flight - the seat was definitely not suitable for a night's sleep maybe only a short 30 minutes nap. Furthermore KLM's economy class tickets are not cheap - merely cheaper than top notch Singapore Airlines by 120 euros. Therefore I do not get why KLM is so cheapskate to pack so many people in economy class on very poor quality seats. The seats are so cramped that passengers have so much difficulty getting in and out of their seats to use the lavatory! Never on this airline again for long haul flights maybe a short 2-3 hour one.
Aircraft TypeBOEING 777-300ER

Review by (Netherlands) 21st February 2015

I paid extra for a XL seat got a XS seat. Then crew gave me seat on row 1 (I am very tall person) then they took 15000 airmiles. Customers service behaving as idiots. Twitter KLM customer service refuse to refund 15000 miles. KLM customer service confirm by email miles won't be debited.
Aircraft TypeBOEING 737-700

Review by (United States) 4th February 2015

Horrible access to get in or out of seat with absolutely no leg room. When seat in front of yours reclines it tremendously diminishes any movement whatsoever.
Aircraft TypeBOEING 747-400 Combi

Review by (Ireland) 28th January 2015

KLM from Amsterdam to Paramaribo and return. On return flight I was downgraded from business to comfort all though I paid for business. I wouldn't recommend anybody to sit on those comfort seats at all. Try to avoid at all costs. Meanwhile after a month I still try to get compensation for the downgrade but so far no comment or return email from their customer service.
Aircraft TypeBOEING 777

Review by (Australia) 28th January 2015

Not sure where to start with this as almost every part of the trip was a nightmare. Was on the third leg of a 27 hour trip so tensions were already high when I walked on board. I was met with an archaic plane with the worst seats I have ever encountered on an international carrier. At 6'5 I usually sit in an aisle seat to gain some extra legroom however half my legroom was eradicated by a large metal box which were under every aisle seat. My extendable head rest would not stay in an extended position and my seat would not recline. My screen was also awful and unwatchable. When I asked to be reseated they told me no other seats were available despite the plane being 80% full and them trying to sell the premium economy seats before takeoff. After a 3 hr struggle to fall asleep my knee was hit by the steward and his cart waking me up and hurting my knee no apology or even acknowledgement was given. I complained to the customer service manager about the whole fiasco who simply said If I don't like it don't fly with them again. Don't have to tell me twice!
Aircraft TypeAIRBUS A330