China Southern Airlines

Seat Reviews

Viewing TV 12345

"787 flight was horrendous"

Trip Verified | Flew with this airline 5 times in total during from London to Bangkok and then back. On the first leg of our journey we had a flight to Amsterdam on a 737 then from Amsterdam to Guangzhou, flight was extremely comfortable in the Airbus and there was a lot of space, cabin crew was very helpful and they also made sure the aircraft was kept very clean through the journey, food was also good. On our way back they put us in a 787, flight was horrendous as this time we flew directly from China to London - it was a bit longer, would make sense to use your more comfortable aircraft. I had close to no space even though I’m only 6’0, worst of all the flight was poorly organised - when’s checking in I was told that myself and my partner cannot sit beside each other - instead we were put between between other couples (how silly is this), only to find out that the seat next to me was free - I saw mothers with children unable to sit with their second half because of how the seats were distributed - literally like flying with Ryanair. Food was awful and they ran out of beer after the first round of drinks. Do us all a favour and discontinue the 787 for flights over 12 hours- seats are broken, screens don’t function correctly, toilet seat doesn’t even stay up.
Date FlownJune 2018

"seat was comfortable"

Trip Verified | My check in was smooth and the lady at the check in counter was very helpful in getting my seat request fulfilled. The seat was comfortable and the crew was polite. Overall it was a pleasant experience and the only thing i think they could improved on is the quality of the food.
Aircraft TypeA320
Seat Layout3x3
Date FlownApril 2018
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
Seat Storage 12345

"the shape is kind of weird"

Trip Verified | I'm rather small so the A330 seat space is fine for me. Cushion is supportive enough however the shape is kind of weird. If I sit straight up, there's a gap between my lower back and the seat back. If I lay back a little, my neck is going to bend forward which is fairly uncomfortable.
Date FlownJanuary 2018
Seat Storage 12345

"legroom is rather minimal"

Trip Verified | The A330-300 seat layout in both economy cabins seems very congested and overcrowded. The economy seats though well upholstered, does not offer much comfort for long sitting down. The head rest is and tilt angle is OK. The legroom is rather minimal and not so comfortable for tall persons. Getting in and out of economy seats not so comfortable
Aircraft TypeA330-300
Date FlownDecember 2017
Seat Storage 12345

"seat was the most uncomfortable"

(New Zealand)

Verified Review | I flew overnight from Auckland to Guangzhou on a China Southern Boeing 787 - 11 hours of agony. The seat was the most uncomfortable I have ever experienced. It was firm and unyielding, like sitting on sand, with no springiness in it. As a result I had to try to shift my position every then minutes to try and ease my aching muscles, but to no avail. I got no sleep. Probably the rest of the flight was up to standard, but I remember little except the discomfort. The only other thing I do remember is the window 'shades' were electronic and I think the crew overrode them so I had no view out in the dawn approaching China. By contrast, the old domestic China Southern A320 I connected with had normal seats - quite comfortable and what a relief. I would fly on China Southern again - but never on a 787.
Date FlownMay 2017

"average comfort level"

(China)

Verified Review | The A330 economy class seat is average comfort level, with adjustable head support. The IFE is OK for long range trip, but few recent movies, the earphone plug is sinked inside and I cann't use it, wish maintenance guy can fix that. Most seats got the additional usb connection to charge mobile equipment, but not any at the first 4 seats at 2x4x2 config in economy class.
Date FlownAugust 2017

"Very comfortable seats"

(South Korea)

Verified Review | I seat 62A in the Boeing 777-300 from Guangzhou to New York. Very comfortable seats without other people. However, the shortage of overhead bins in the airplane was a bit disappointing. Nevertheless, there were many passengers, but the quiet flight environment and the food and services offered were satisfied.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 777-300
Date FlownMay 2017
Seat Storage 12345

"ample leg room in this seat"

Verified Review | I was sitting in seat 31D which was at the bulkhead. There was ample leg room in this seat. The headrest was able to be set so that you could rest your head to the side with comfort. The leg rest could come up somewhat but it would have been more comfortable had the leg rest been able to raise a little further. The entertainment monitor was easy to use and was a touch screen. The tray table was also easy to assemble from out of the arm rest. The seat could retract into a good position for a more relaxing place to rest.
Date FlownMarch 2017
Cabin FlownPremium Economy

"deceiving the customer"

The inflight staff on this flight were excellent and the service was very professional. However, the same cannot be said for China Southern Administration. The route of my flight from Guangzhou to Rome was changed from a direct flight Guangzhou to Rome to an additional domestic leg within China. This meant we flew Guangzhou - Wuhan - Rome. An official notification email to opt out of this change was sent while I was in-flight from Brisbane to Guangzhou. This in effect made any decision not to take the changed flight impossible. Consequently on arrival in Guangzhou a normal transit situation between international sectors became an horrific nightmare involving moving through many levels of additional security because of the added domestic leg, my passport being taken away and then given to a Chinese person (I am not of chinese ethnicity!), and lost for a period of time, the need to try and find my passport, the loss of purchased duty free items, abuse by ground staff and so on. It was the most dreadful flying experience of my life. I believe the email sent during the first leg of the flight an incredibly cynical exercise in China Southern Airlines deceiving the customer and a disgusting attempt to lie to passengers about flight changes. I have flown satisfactorily with China Southern in the past, but unless some remediation occurs between the airline and me as a paying consumer I will never fly with them again. Consumer beware! Customer beware! The in-flight staff were excellent.
Date FlownSeptember 2016
Seat Storage 12345

"I found the leg space ok"

(New Zealand)

The seats seemed much the same size as other economy seats but the seat felt hard and after a few hours I felt quite uncomfortable. I would recommend take a cushion or a piece of memory foam. I'm not tall so I found the leg space ok but my neighbour who was taller felt cramped. The seat recline was fine but the passenger behind complained and I was asked to raise my chair a little but the person I front of me who was fully reclined for almost the full journey was not asked to do so. The TV screen on the seat in front was a little small. The aisle space is very good, I would travel again on the Dreamliner but with a cushion instead of a neck roll.
Date FlownMay 2016

China Southern Airlines Photos

China Southern Airlines is a state-owned airline and a member of SkyTeam alliance. Its main hub airport is Guangzhou Baiyun Airport, the airline operates more than 600 passenger aircraft, including Boeing 787, Boeing 777 and Boeing 737 and Airbus A380, A330, A321, A320 and A319. China Southern Airlines fleet is ranked the largest in Asia and the fifth largest in the world.

FIRST CLASS

A380 is equipped with eight private flat-bed suites. IFE is via a 23-inch flat-screen LCD TV. Boeing 787 and A330 have 4 cocoon seats, and IFE is via a 17 or 19-inch LCD TV.

flat_seatsFlat bed seat / suite
power_iconIn-seat &/or USB power
DiningOn demand dining
WinesFine wines & beverage service
SleepingPillows & duvet / blanket
PyjamasPyjamas / Sleepsuit
AmenitiesAmenity kit

BUSINESS CLASS

A380 seats recline to a full flat bed. IFE is via a 15-inch flat-screen LCD TV. Boeing 787 / A330 seats recline to full flat bed with 2x2x2 cabin layout. IFE via 15-inch LCD TV.

LONG HAUL
flat_seatsFlat bed seat
power_iconIn-seat &/or USB power
AVODAudio / video on demand
DiningOn demand dining (*not all flights)
WinesFine wines & beverage service
SleepingPillows & duvet / blanket
PyjamasPyjamas / Sleepsuit
AmenitiesAmenity kit

ECONOMY CLASS

China Southern Airlines cabin/seat layouts can be viewed on the Seat Map in menu below.

Seat pitchSeat pitch : 31-33 ins
Seat widthSeat width : 17.2 - 17.5 ins
No WiFiOnboard WiFi
power_iconUSB power (*not all flights)
DiningComplimentary meals
WinesComplimentary beverages & wines
SleepingPillows & blankets

LOUNGES

At Guangzhou Baiyun Airport, premium customers have use of the China Southern Airlines First and Business class lounge.

Lounge SeatingExpansive seating options
SleepingBedrooms
2_6_spacer

» China Southern Lounge reviews

SEAT MAPS

View aircraft seat maps for China Southern Airlines fleet. We have provided you a direct link to China Southern Fleet information page, where the most up-to-date information should be available.
» View Seat Maps

IFE

China Southern Airlines provides 600+ hours of entertainment programs on newest aircraft where audio/video program systems are installed.
» View latest IFE Guide

ONBOARD DINING

First Class entrée dish

Business Class beef noodle soup

FIRST CLASS : REVIEW

A modern Boeing 787 with comfortable flat bed, nice comfort attributes and amenities, reasonable IFE, attentive and friendly staff../

» Read the Flight Review