Vote Airport

American Airlines

Seat Reviews

Viewing TV 12345

"little more legroom"

I recently flew American Airlines from RSW to ORD and back to visit family. I had seat 8A going northbound and 8F coming home (southbound). I will say that I was happy with what I got for what I paid for. Since I was in their Main Cabin Extra class, I got a little more legroom, although I paid $35 more each way. I feel that the extra $35 was worth it, and it made a big difference in my travel. The normal economy seats are too small for me since I'm 6ft 2 in tall. The airline itself has somewhat improved in their service, although it still has some way to go. Also, some of their planes could be cleaner than they currently are. Overall though, it was decent for me.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 737-800
Date FlownJanuary 2016

"avoid the exit seats"

Flew from Manchester UK to Chicago, a flight of 9 hours in this Boeing 757, there is no onboard entertainment other than main screen. There is no WiFi onboard this plane. Try avoiding the exit seats as because the tables are stored in the arm rests, the seat pitch is narrower and is certainly felt on a flight of this length. Definite pay for the main cabin extra, the leg space is fantastic and for flights of this length, you need as much space as possible, also, additionally, every Main Cabin Extra seat comes with a power socket, group 1 boarding and allows you to leave the plane first.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 757-200
Date FlownJanuary 2016

"space very cramped"

I flew on an almost new American Airlines A321 aircraft. This is the standard two class configuration with main cabin extra seating. I sat in a standard economy seat. American really packs em in! I am not tall, at only 5'7" but I found my personal space to be very cramped. This aircraft has inflight entertainment screens in every seat. That adds bulk to the rear of the seat in front of you which adds to the feeling of being cramped. In addition, there were the IFE boxes located in the foot areas of the two outer seats swallowing up leg room width. I recently also flew on Jetblue and Southwest and did not feel the same sense of space infringement. It might be a difference of only an inch, or inches, but that difference seems to be huge.
Aircraft TypeA321S
Date FlownDecember 2015
Seat Storage 12345

"most uncomfortable seat "

I've been on more than 50 flights this year, and this is by far the smallest and most uncomfortable seat I've ever sat in. The plane is brand new with the latest electronic equipment. I am 5'8" and thin; I don't know how the average American can fit. The seat in front of me reclined and I could not open my laptop to 90 degrees. The metal boxes beneath the seat take away a significant portion of the already limited let room. It's a shame that American has a monopoly on the direct routes to my frequently traveled cities. I would avoid flying them at all costs.
Aircraft TypeA321S
Date FlownNovember 2015
Seat Storage 12345

"by far the worst airline"

(Fiji)

Los Angeles to Miami, then Miami to Barbados, both the legs were on an American Airlines Boeing 737-800, and this by far has been the worst airline I have ever travelled on. Between LA and Miami, no food, turbulent take-off, flight attendants lost in the galley flirting away with passengers. Both aircraft had poor legroom and bad service.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 737-800
Date FlownOctober 2015
Seat Storage 12345

"seats too close together"

(US Virgin Islands)

Four of us flew to Las Vegas. The new 737's are the worst airplanes ever. I'm 6' and everyone else in my party is shorter than that. The seats were too close together - front to back - to the point that the shortest person in our party is 5'2" and their knees touched the seat in front. When the passenger in front reclined the seat it was even worse. Add to the discomfort the metal box under the seat didn't allow for me to move my legs forward so by the first hour leg spasms had my legs were jumping involuntarily for the rest of the 3+ hour flight. With the metal box under the seat you didn't have any storage space. Did I mention I was in the aisle seat and with all of the movement in the aisle had little use of that space. The video screens in our entire row wouldn't work even after the attendants reset them multiple times. Thank God we had other older planes on the rest of our trip. If I wasn't burning flyer miles I'd never take this airline again. It will be a long time before I consider flying American when I have options.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 737
Date FlownOctober 2015
Seat Storage 12345

"satisfied with recent flights"

(Colombia)

Quite satisfied with my recent flights CLO-MIA-EWR and return. New planes, extremely friendly crew, acceptable food. Nothing reminded of former grey, dirty, and unfriendly American. This time, arriving in Miami from Colombia and having a 2-hour connection between my international flight and the flight to Newark, upon the arrival, was quickly identified by AA staff and given an opportunity to pass through immigration and customs in 15 minutes.
Aircraft TypeA319
Seat Storage 12345

"all new entertainment system"

This review is for Business Class on American Airlines new Boeing 787, probably their best airplane for now. An all new entertainment system finally puts American Airlines on par with top-tier airlines. The seats are comfortable, although the rear-facing seats are not quite as good as the front-facing ones. There is plenty of space and the wifi works pretty well. As for the service, American Airlines has been pretty good to me over the years, in business class I believe the food is actually pretty good, although once the service is over flight attendants are scarce. A self-service snack bar in business is nice.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 787
Seat Layout1x2x1
Seat Storage 12345

"787 is very uncomfortable in coach"

I flew on the Boeing 787 from Dallas Ft Worth to Buenos Aires return, in coach rows 28 and row 29. This was a brand new airplane on its third revenue trip. The seats are very narrow and the cushions are hard. The aisle is very narrow and service carts and other passengers bump into people seated in aisle seats. Nearly impossible to eat a meal when the seat in front is reclined. This plane is very uncomfortable in coach. Not enough space.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 787
Seat Layout3x3x3
Seat Storage 12345

"no excuse for no decent inflight entertainment"

I wish I had found this page before booking because I wouldn't have flown with American Airlines. In this day and age there is no excuse for no decent in-flight entertainment on a long haul flight. We flew from Birmingham (UK) to New York JFK a 7.5 hour flight. I was shocked to find there was just a TV in the aisle that is not visible from a window seat and the one movie was dire as was the American show that preceded. I spent the whole time twiddling my thumbs. The staff were fine and meals decent but I can't forgive the terrible in-flight entertainment on a long haul when every other airline has provided in-seat monitors. I won't be using American Airlines again.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 757