Vote Now

American Airlines

Seat Reviews

Viewing TV 12345

"the most uncomfortable seats"

Verified Review | Just got done with a flight on American Airlines in their new Boeing 737. At 5'6" I really have no problems with airline seats, but these new seats were the most uncomfortable I have ever experienced. There was so little room I couldn't move and couldn't wait to get off the plane. I will avoid American Airlines at all costs because of these new planes. Look else where people they will continue to do this until they lose money.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 737
Date FlownMarch 2017
Seat Storage 12345

"less comfortable than a wooden bench"

Verified Review | American is proud of their new airplanes and interior upgrades, but from a passenger point of view, the new seats and spacing is really terrible. Even in the Economy PLUS seats where you get the extra legroom, the only positive upgrade made with this new aircraft is with the infotainment system. The worst part is the actual seat! I can't even begin to fathom how they can spend nearly $1,000 per seat and still come up with a pleather upholstered chair that is less comfortable than a wooden bench. It would be funny if I hadn't had to endure it myself 6 times over the last 4 months flying back and forth over the Pacific. These seats are simply the most uncomfortable experience I have had with American -- and that is exceptional given their abysmal Customer Service record. In summary, I have put up with a lot trying to "Stay American" but I'll be damned if I will let this kind of targeted abuse continue. My next flight across the water will be with a carrier that doesn't treat me like Cattle.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 787-8
Seat Layout3x3x3
Date FlownFebruary 2017
Seat Storage 12345

"worth the small extra charge"

Verified Review | I had seat 31L. This is the emergency exit seat in the second section of economy, next to the Window. For a cost of just $60 this seat is excellent, lots of leg room, and while part of the door protrudes it does not affect sitting in any way whatsoever or be an incovenience in any way.. Taller passengers may even get comfort resting their feet on it. The meal tray is a little small but easily manageable etc. With these exit seats it is always important to get the window seat because then passengers do not affect you if they mill about in this area. There is a storage galley to the left but this was not used much by staff and a toilet about 15 feet away but again, this was not an inconvenience either in terms of noise or smells. These seats (sometimes only available to members of airlines rewards schemes), are well worth the small extra charge on long flights.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 777-200
Date FlownMarch 2017
Seat Storage 12345

"seats were not comfortable"

(Italy)

Verified Review | The seats were not comfortable. The main functions didn't work properly (on the return flight from Miami the audio was out of order) the space very small. Not clean. Considering also that I paid an extra amount for all my family for so called"preferred seats" was a very bad experience . I will not fly anymore by AA since they will use those old fashioned aircraft.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 767-300
Seat Layout2x4x2
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"was plenty of space"

Seats in premium economy on American Airlines Boeing 777-200er were ok. Configured 3x4x3 across, they reclined nicely and the base of the seat slid forward allowing you to recline a little further. I'm 6 ft 2" and there was plenty of space, I was not sitting with my knees jammed into the seat in front of me. Entertainment screen was good, touch screen HD, with a very good selection of media available, a lot of which were new releases. I did find the seats to be a little hard, although there was adequate space they could have been a little more comfortable. There were movable lateral headrests to enable your head to stay secure whilst sleeping (if you are one of those fortunate enough to be able to sleep in a standard type seat in a plane!)
Aircraft TypeBoeing 777-200ER
Date FlownDecember 2016
Seat Storage 12345

"was 8+ hours of suffering"

Verified Review | Flew from NYC to Rome toward the end of August, 2016. The flight was delayed by almost 2 hours, because the plane was warm and needed to be cooled down, which was supposed to take a "few minutes", but took over an hour to begin boarding. The service was good, the staff friendly and professional and the food was surprisingly very good. The plane was old, with no charging stations or personal entertainment system at individual seats (and I wouldn't call a hanging aisle TV, set at mute, playing some random old movies entertainment). However, what made the flight especially bad for me was the seat. I had an aisle seat, which I generally like, but the aisle armrest was of the type that couldn't be lifted and the entire flight its corner was constantly eating into my leg. It was 8+ hours of suffering, in addition to the plane being insufficiently cool. The flight cost $540 one way and I think that's a little too much for an old plane with uncomfortable seats and no technology whatsoever. For a no frills plane, the cost should have been no more than $400-450 one way, even during high season.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 767
Seat Layout2x3x2
Date FlownAugust 2016
Seat Storage 12345

"seats are extremely narrow"

While the seats are generally comfortable, space for legs is too small for any person above 1,80m. Also, the seats are extremely narrow. Usually I like sitting at the aisle because it gives a little bit more space to the side. This time I regretted the decision - the aisle is so narrow that the Crew bumped against my shoulders and knees around a dozen times. The entertainment system is well designed. Unfortunately it just doesn't work. It crashes or just shows shows that you haven't selected. The light control in the airplane was broken.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 777-200
Date FlownAugust 2016
Seat Storage 12345

"most uncomfortable flights of my life"

Had two flights on American returning from a vacation in Antigua. Both were on a Boeing 737-800. both in row 8, supposedly "premium economy". Most uncomfortable flights of my life! Leg room was okay but seat width was not and seat design was not made to fit a normal body. In fact, I don't know what kind of body could have been comfortable in that seat. I have flow on a lot of different aircraft but that was not doubt the worst ever. I was in the window seat and my wife in the middle. Even though we had the arm rest up all the time I was still crammed against the window. I will avoid economy on this aircraft if at all possible. On my outbound trip to Antigua from Miami I was also on a Boeing 737-800 but in first class. Much more comfortable, wider seat, decent food, service was excellent, but certainly not up to the standards of a Boeing 777 business class. Also, American Airlines advertises on the own website that first class on the Boeing 737-800 gives you Bose Noise Cancelling headphones for use during the flight. Not. Also advertised seat back screens. Again, nope.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 737-800
Date FlownJuly 2016
Seat Storage 12345

"no longer were seated together"

We have flown with American Airlines for several times now, and it was very disappointing this time. My family and I had paid 300 dollars for preferred seating because we wanted to sit together only to find out several weeks after paying for them, that American Airlines sold the seats we had purchased and that we no longer were seated together. How is it possible, for them to sell the seats we had already paid for? I will no longer be flying with this airline, not only did they make this mistake, their customer service sucks and they were not able to help us getting anything better!
Aircraft TypeA320
Date FlownJune 2016
Seat Storage 12345

"could not turn on light"

Older plane, somewhat worn for flight from USA to Ireland and return. Seat was behind the bathrooms. Very drafty and cold probably because of odor removal, but maybe just the aircraft itself. Entertainment system out of commission and not fixable by crew. Since the overhead light is controlled by the system screen, could not turn on light to read. Not good on an 8 hour flight during the day, especially when the crew insisted on closing all the window shades.
Aircraft TypeA330-200