American Airlines

Seat Reviews

Viewing TV 12345

"experience has been horrific"

Verified Review | My partner and I booked a flight through Orbitz with American Airlines, including the long flight Dallas Ft Worth to Madrid. After purchasing the flights for $3500, we contacted American Airlines to make sure that we were sitting together on the flight. When we called American Airlines, the lady stated she could not help us and that we needed to log into the American Airlines and gave us a "record locater" number. We logged into this site to realize that American Airlines had every single aisle and window seat blocked off as a paid seat - meaning there was no way for us to sit with each other without paying several hundred per each leg of the trip. American Airlines is trying to force us to pay $600 extra just to set next to each other on the $3500 trip we already purchased. Our experience has been horrific before even showing up! What a scam!
Aircraft TypeBoeing 787
Date FlownJuly 2017

"More cramped than ever"

Verified Review | More cramped than ever. New seat back entertainment center projects 4" into available headroom, so the screen is 18" (or less when reclined) from my face. So close, I can't focus and it made me feel sick. Same with trying to read a book that close. All this hardware reduces front pocket size. It's only about 10" wide with no stretch. Could barely get my water bottle to fit, not to mention my Nook, snack and eyemask. Seat is short, like a jump seat, not supporting thighs. While taxiing, after safety stuff, the entertainment center plays commercials with whole-plane audio. Even if you've turned off the screen, it sometimes pops on by itself, usually for announcements. This is completely unacceptable. I will be cashing in my miles and looking for another airline for future travel.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 737
Date FlownMay 2017
Seat Storage 12345

"impossible to stretch my legs "

Verified Review | It had been awhile since I had flown American and first on a A321 and whoa! Both flight into and out of HNL from LAX were at max capacity - people had to check carry on's at the gate. Leg room was very nonexistent in regular economy. I don't see how anyone with anything but an 'average' human body could possibly fit into the seats. It was impossible to stretch my legs out under the seat in front due to my carry on bag being stored there. I am a 5'10", 160lbs man. I was lucky enough to score window seats on both flights and propped my feet up on the back of the arm rest and cabin wall for the duration of the flight. I was careful not to annoy the person in front of me, I know this is considered highly rude. Sleep was impossible. The tray tables are the new style - they are folded in half for storage, so they're kind of flimsy. I could not fully extend my laptop screen to use it during the flight. The seat in front of me was simply too close! I had to work up the courage to recline my seat. I was afraid of discomforting the passenger behind me. Recline makes the tray table inch awfully close to the person behind you if they are using their seat tray as well. The cushion of the seat was adequate for me. The seat pocket is useless for storing anything other than magazines, a bottle of water and/or book will not fit. Flight attendants were very warm and nice so that made up for the physical discomfort. Took some time to get beverage service initially distributed to all passengers. The flight in only offered water after the 1st service. The flight out offered full beverage service multiple times during flight. Seat entertainment was pretty good. And the screens do have privacy filters in case there are children seating next to you. Seat-to-seat messaging was cool. But the actual software was a bit laggy for 2017 but functional. Also, in flight wifi is useless. Don't waste your money unless you have hours of emails to respond to. Bathrooms were very clean. Also, on the flight in the pilot flew over all the islands and identified them by name - it was an amazing descent into Honolulu that I will always remember. The flight out from Honolulu offered stunning views of Diamond Head and Oahu but did not fly over the other islands. Flew the same aircraft from LAX-DFW in the middle seat - horrible. No place for my arms. Constantly fidgeting. It was miserable. I could not wait to get off that aircraft. Do not store your carry on under the seat in front of you if you can. Overall, I did make it to Oahu and back safe and sound. Don't plan on sleep if you're not next to the window.
Aircraft TypeA321
Seat Storage 12345

"an unpleasant way to travel"

Verified Review | I flew round trip JFK to Sao Paulo and onto Dublin with this airline. What an uncomfortable experience on the Boeing 777-300ER. From Jfk to Gru, I was seated in 41L a window seat in a row of 2. The seat was so narrow there was no room to move. It was like being moulded to the seat. If you dropped anything on the floor, it was forget about it as there was no way to bend down and pick it up. Legroom was practically non existent. I am not a tall person 5' 8" and was very uncomfortable. Both flights were just short of 10 hours duration. What an unpleasant way to travel. Never again. Shame on you American Airlines for compromising on passenger comfort for maximum profit. You will never see my backside on one of your seats again.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 777-300ER
Seat Storage 12345

"was the smallest economy seat"

Verified Review | First flight with American Airlines; hopefully the last! This was a code share with BA. I paid extra for a Premium Economy seat - 13J - to provide extra leg room as seat was at a bulkhead. It was the smallest economy seat I have ever had to force myself in to for a trans Atlantic flight. American seem to have stuffed as many seats I economy as they were physically able to do. Thankfully I had extra leg room but the seat was so narrow it was impossible to move. It was not a matter of sitting in the seat but more wearing the seat. Awful experience.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 777
Cabin FlownPremium Economy

"uses 9-across seating"

Unverified | American Airlines had very narrow and uncomfortable economy class seats on my 12-hour flight from Tokyo to Chicago on a Boeing 787-8. American uses 9-across seating like most airlines, but my connecting flight on JAL on the same type of aircraft uses 8-across seating. The seats are so narrow that I could not put my arms down by my side and inside the arm rest, and I am an average-size guy. The seat pitch is too small to use a laptop computer. Even the older MD80 aircraft that American uses has wider seats.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 787-8
Seat Storage 12345

"cabin crew use seats as a rest area "

Verified Review | Do not travel in seat 26G/H on American Airlines A330 if you suffer with any form of claustrophobia or want your view restricted. The cabin crew use the four seats in front as a rest area with curtains pulled round directly in front of us. The crew were watching a film on tablets for much of the flight.
Aircraft TypeA330
Seat Layout2x4x2
Seat Storage 12345

"pay extra for exit seats"

Verified Review | I was in seat 33J. This is the end of a 3 with no seat in front of it. You pay a premium to sit here as there is no seat in front of it. I always pay extra for exit seats as I like to be able to stretch my legs. It makes flying economy more bearable, even though the table comes fro the armrest and entertainment screen is on a movable arm. However, a major problem with this seat is because it sticks out people are always bumping into your shoulder or the entertainment screen - even the flight assistants seem unable to stop doing this. The seats are also tight but this is the same on all economy flights. The food, service and entertainment were great on AA - far better than BA - but I would only pay more for this once again if I had no other exit options.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 777
Date FlownMarch 2017
Seat Storage 12345

"the most uncomfortable seats"

Verified Review | Just got done with a flight on American Airlines in their new Boeing 737. At 5'6" I really have no problems with airline seats, but these new seats were the most uncomfortable I have ever experienced. There was so little room I couldn't move and couldn't wait to get off the plane. I will avoid American Airlines at all costs because of these new planes. Look else where people they will continue to do this until they lose money.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 737
Date FlownMarch 2017
Seat Storage 12345

"less comfortable than a wooden bench"

Verified Review | American is proud of their new airplanes and interior upgrades, but from a passenger point of view, the new seats and spacing is really terrible. Even in the Economy PLUS seats where you get the extra legroom, the only positive upgrade made with this new aircraft is with the infotainment system. The worst part is the actual seat! I can't even begin to fathom how they can spend nearly $1,000 per seat and still come up with a pleather upholstered chair that is less comfortable than a wooden bench. It would be funny if I hadn't had to endure it myself 6 times over the last 4 months flying back and forth over the Pacific. These seats are simply the most uncomfortable experience I have had with American -- and that is exceptional given their abysmal Customer Service record. In summary, I have put up with a lot trying to "Stay American" but I'll be damned if I will let this kind of targeted abuse continue. My next flight across the water will be with a carrier that doesn't treat me like Cattle.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 787-8