Top 100 Airlines

Seat Reviews

Viewing TV 12345

"the most uncomfortable"

(China)

My wife and I flew to the US from China in February, returning in early April. As these are flights in excess of 14 hours, we expected American Airlines to have made some consideration towards this, which they did not. Even for short trips, the seat layout and configuration would be woefully inadequate. The seats were narrow, with little padding and uncomfortably small legroom. It is my purpose in life, whenever I fly, to have the person in front tilt their seat back to its extreme, immediately the wheels leave the ground, so these flights with AA were the most uncomfortable I have ever experienced in many years of long haul flying. The entertainment screen was miniscule with a pitifully small selection of diversions. The cabin crew appeared grim, for the most part and the food was well below the standard that I would expect from such an airline. I do not have the time or words to fully express my feelings towards this airline, which I had previously thought of with high regard. Never again. Ever.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 777
Seat Layout2x5x2
Date FlownApril 2016
Seat Storage 12345

"recline is almost indiscernible"

If flying to Asia don't even think of American Airlines - their Boeing 777-300 is 10 abreast in coach and the recline is almost indiscernible - you cant tell if you have reclined or not. American Airlines charges extra for 3x3x3 seating coach- their so-called premium economy- however CX and JAL offer same configuration in regular coach and have comfortable recline and superior in-flight service and catering.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 777-300
Seat Layout3x4x3

"Legroom was average"

The American Airlines A330 seats were 26A/B, 27A/B. They were comfortable leather seats and featured a seatback screen, tray table and pocket for storage. Window seats and aisle seat, I prefer 2x4x2 configuration. Legroom was average for an Economy class for a regular carrier.
Aircraft TypeA330-200
Seat Layout2x4x2
Date FlownAugust 2015

"seat was comfortable"

Went from Chicago to Tokyo Narita, 13 hour flight. The seat was comfortable, but the TV screen was tiny, and had a very small selection. The legroom was average, as well as the recline. One thing that I've noticed on all large American Airlines planes is how wide the economy seats are. Only some seats had a power supply to charge your device, and there was plenty of storage to store your bags.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 777-200
Seat Layout2x5x2
Seat Storage 12345

"horrified at lack of leg room"

I flew from DFW to London Heathrow on an American Airlines Boeing 777. I was horrified at the lack of leg room in economy. I am 5'4 with a weight of 125lbs. I honestly could not bend over to pick up something that had fallen on the floor. If I were to have to get into an emergency landing position, my head would touch the tray table on the seat in front of me - and without being able to completely bend forward. My seat mates were a retired couple who travel internationally quite frequently. They were appalled too.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 777
Seat Layout3x4x3
Date FlownDecember 2015

"Incredibly uncomfortable"

Miami to Bogota and back in Business Class on 737. Incredibly uncomfortable seats. I can't believe AA is using this type of equipment for a route that used to be served by 757 or 767. The seats are very uncomfortable and they don't have any leg rest. For a flight of up to 2 hours is fine but it is difficult to understand how AA instead of competing on the premium cabins among it rivals now decided to use this boings for this international routes. I even found this week that they are using this equipment from/to MIA to SAN or to/from MIA - SFO, flights that are almost 5 hours or more since you get in the plane. The recline is interesting but not having a leg rest or support makes an uncomfortable flight in a seat that is only a big wider than coach. AA should modernize the premium cabin in all their 737 planes as it is similar or worse to what other carriers call big front seat: being not that big or wide and not having a leg rest. Instead of going forward in terms of coping with premium cabins they are going backwards with all the other things that have being removed such as no meals in many flights 3 hour or less, no blankets, no pillows, etc. It is getting to a point that flying routes of up to 5 hours is similar a seating in a theater seat that after the first 1.5 hrs of the movie, one does not find a position, and no matter how hard one tries it feels very uncomfortable.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 737
Seat Layout2x2
Seat Storage 12345

"never got the extra leg room"

My husband and I paid $311 extra for our seats to and from Honolulu for our dream vacation. These fees were so that we could sit together for the flights and for extra leg room. We never got the extra leg room on any of the 4 flights and had to argue with the counter people to even get to sit together. For example, when checking in with AA mobile app (which doesn't work well) for our flight from Honolulu to Phoenix, the app showed our assigned seats as being available for an extra fee (which we had already paid). We were then assigned standard seats (no leg room) and 6 rows apart. Finally, we got a counter agent to at least sit us together for the flight but we were told that this was a "different plane so seats were different". If this was even true, isn't it good business to take care of those that paid extra for better seats and then assign remaining standard fare seats? It appears that American charges at least double for this bait and switch. Who knows how many "extra" fees they charged for special seating and then assigned standard seats? We know for a fact that they did so on the HNL to PHX flight, as we spoke to the people occupying our originally assigned seats. The flight to Honolulu was so bad that my arm was cramped against the cabin wall resulting in numbness for most of the flight. As a result of not having room to stretch my legs for me, as a diabetic, resulted in my ankles swelling terribly on both 6 hour flights. American should be ashamed of their rude and unapologetic staff and charging fees for services that they do not deliver.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 757

"little more legroom"

I recently flew American Airlines from RSW to ORD and back to visit family. I had seat 8A going northbound and 8F coming home (southbound). I will say that I was happy with what I got for what I paid for. Since I was in their Main Cabin Extra class, I got a little more legroom, although I paid $35 more each way. I feel that the extra $35 was worth it, and it made a big difference in my travel. The normal economy seats are too small for me since I'm 6ft 2 in tall. The airline itself has somewhat improved in their service, although it still has some way to go. Also, some of their planes could be cleaner than they currently are. Overall though, it was decent for me.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 737-800

"avoid the exit seats"

Flew from Manchester UK to Chicago, a flight of 9 hours in this Boeing 757, there is no onboard entertainment other than main screen. There is no WiFi onboard this plane. Try avoiding the exit seats as because the tables are stored in the arm rests, the seat pitch is narrower and is certainly felt on a flight of this length. Definite pay for the main cabin extra, the leg space is fantastic and for flights of this length, you need as much space as possible, also, additionally, every Main Cabin Extra seat comes with a power socket, group 1 boarding and allows you to leave the plane first.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 757-200

"space very cramped"

I flew on an almost new American Airlines A321 aircraft. This is the standard two class configuration with main cabin extra seating. I sat in a standard economy seat. American really packs em in! I am not tall, at only 5'7" but I found my personal space to be very cramped. This aircraft has inflight entertainment screens in every seat. That adds bulk to the rear of the seat in front of you which adds to the feeling of being cramped. In addition, there were the IFE boxes located in the foot areas of the two outer seats swallowing up leg room width. I recently also flew on Jetblue and Southwest and did not feel the same sense of space infringement. It might be a difference of only an inch, or inches, but that difference seems to be huge.
Aircraft TypeA321S