Top 100 Airports

American Airlines

Seat Reviews

Viewing TV 12345

"seats are extremely narrow"

While the seats are generally comfortable, space for legs is too small for any person above 1,80m. Also, the seats are extremely narrow. Usually I like sitting at the aisle because it gives a little bit more space to the side. This time I regretted the decision - the aisle is so narrow that the Crew bumped against my shoulders and knees around a dozen times. The entertainment system is well designed. Unfortunately it just doesn't work. It crashes or just shows shows that you haven't selected. The light control in the airplane was broken.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 777-200
Date FlownAugust 2016
Seat Storage 12345

"most uncomfortable flights of my life"

Had two flights on American returning from a vacation in Antigua. Both were on a Boeing 737-800. both in row 8, supposedly "premium economy". Most uncomfortable flights of my life! Leg room was okay but seat width was not and seat design was not made to fit a normal body. In fact, I don't know what kind of body could have been comfortable in that seat. I have flow on a lot of different aircraft but that was not doubt the worst ever. I was in the window seat and my wife in the middle. Even though we had the arm rest up all the time I was still crammed against the window. I will avoid economy on this aircraft if at all possible. On my outbound trip to Antigua from Miami I was also on a Boeing 737-800 but in first class. Much more comfortable, wider seat, decent food, service was excellent, but certainly not up to the standards of a Boeing 777 business class. Also, American Airlines advertises on the own website that first class on the Boeing 737-800 gives you Bose Noise Cancelling headphones for use during the flight. Not. Also advertised seat back screens. Again, nope.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 737-800
Seat Layout3x3
Date FlownJuly 2016
Seat Storage 12345

"no longer were seated together"

We have flown with American Airlines for several times now, and it was very disappointing this time. My family and I had paid 300 dollars for preferred seating because we wanted to sit together only to find out several weeks after paying for them, that American Airlines sold the seats we had purchased and that we no longer were seated together. How is it possible, for them to sell the seats we had already paid for? I will no longer be flying with this airline, not only did they make this mistake, their customer service sucks and they were not able to help us getting anything better!
Aircraft TypeA320
Seat Layout3x3
Date FlownJune 2016
Seat Storage 12345

"could not turn on light"

Older plane, somewhat worn for flight from USA to Ireland and return. Seat was behind the bathrooms. Very drafty and cold probably because of odor removal, but maybe just the aircraft itself. Entertainment system out of commission and not fixable by crew. Since the overhead light is controlled by the system screen, could not turn on light to read. Not good on an 8 hour flight during the day, especially when the crew insisted on closing all the window shades.
Aircraft TypeA330-200
Seat Layout2x4x2
Date FlownJune 2016

"the most uncomfortable"

(China)

My wife and I flew to the US from China in February, returning in early April. As these are flights in excess of 14 hours, we expected American Airlines to have made some consideration towards this, which they did not. Even for short trips, the seat layout and configuration would be woefully inadequate. The seats were narrow, with little padding and uncomfortably small legroom. It is my purpose in life, whenever I fly, to have the person in front tilt their seat back to its extreme, immediately the wheels leave the ground, so these flights with AA were the most uncomfortable I have ever experienced in many years of long haul flying. The entertainment screen was miniscule with a pitifully small selection of diversions. The cabin crew appeared grim, for the most part and the food was well below the standard that I would expect from such an airline. I do not have the time or words to fully express my feelings towards this airline, which I had previously thought of with high regard. Never again. Ever.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 777
Seat Layout2x5x2
Date FlownApril 2016
Seat Storage 12345

"recline is almost indiscernible"

If flying to Asia don't even think of American Airlines - their Boeing 777-300 is 10 abreast in coach and the recline is almost indiscernible - you cant tell if you have reclined or not. American Airlines charges extra for 3x3x3 seating coach- their so-called premium economy- however CX and JAL offer same configuration in regular coach and have comfortable recline and superior in-flight service and catering.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 777-300
Date FlownFebruary 2016

"Legroom was average"

The American Airlines A330 seats were 26A/B, 27A/B. They were comfortable leather seats and featured a seatback screen, tray table and pocket for storage. Window seats and aisle seat, I prefer 2x4x2 configuration. Legroom was average for an Economy class for a regular carrier.
Aircraft TypeA330-200
Seat Layout2x4x2
Date FlownAugust 2015

"seat was comfortable"

Went from Chicago to Tokyo Narita, 13 hour flight. The seat was comfortable, but the TV screen was tiny, and had a very small selection. The legroom was average, as well as the recline. One thing that I've noticed on all large American Airlines planes is how wide the economy seats are. Only some seats had a power supply to charge your device, and there was plenty of storage to store your bags.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 777-200
Seat Layout2x5x2
Date FlownJanuary 2016
Seat Storage 12345

"horrified at lack of leg room"

I flew from DFW to London Heathrow on an American Airlines Boeing 777. I was horrified at the lack of leg room in economy. I am 5'4 with a weight of 125lbs. I honestly could not bend over to pick up something that had fallen on the floor. If I were to have to get into an emergency landing position, my head would touch the tray table on the seat in front of me - and without being able to completely bend forward. My seat mates were a retired couple who travel internationally quite frequently. They were appalled too.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 777
Date FlownDecember 2015

"Incredibly uncomfortable"

Miami to Bogota and back in Business Class on 737. Incredibly uncomfortable seats. I can't believe AA is using this type of equipment for a route that used to be served by 757 or 767. The seats are very uncomfortable and they don't have any leg rest. For a flight of up to 2 hours is fine but it is difficult to understand how AA instead of competing on the premium cabins among it rivals now decided to use this boings for this international routes. I even found this week that they are using this equipment from/to MIA to SAN or to/from MIA - SFO, flights that are almost 5 hours or more since you get in the plane. The recline is interesting but not having a leg rest or support makes an uncomfortable flight in a seat that is only a big wider than coach. AA should modernize the premium cabin in all their 737 planes as it is similar or worse to what other carriers call big front seat: being not that big or wide and not having a leg rest. Instead of going forward in terms of coping with premium cabins they are going backwards with all the other things that have being removed such as no meals in many flights 3 hour or less, no blankets, no pillows, etc. It is getting to a point that flying routes of up to 5 hours is similar a seating in a theater seat that after the first 1.5 hrs of the movie, one does not find a position, and no matter how hard one tries it feels very uncomfortable.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 737