American Airlines

Seat Reviews

Viewing TV 12345

Review by (United Kingdom) 22nd June 2015

ORD-PHX-SNA-LAX-PHX-ORD. There is so little to redeem this airline. Check in staff rude and unprofessional, even to First Class passengers. Aircraft dirty and tired, with no entertainment. WIFI either slow or inoperative. Food in First Class has slightly improved. Seats in First Class grim, old fashioned, and barely qualify as Premium Economy comfort on quality airlines. Crews were mainly indifferent, and just going through the motions. Uniforms and airplanes grubby. What is missing from AA First Class is just that - class. A new livery is merely veneer. This airline needs a major cultural overhaul, from top to bottom. I doubt it is capable of change. At least they are buying newer aircraft. The First Class product is desperately poor. Shame on a once great national airline!
Aircraft TypeBoeing 737-800 / A321
Seat Layout2x2 US Domestic First Class
Date Flown22-06-2015
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
Seat Storage 12345

Review by (United States) 29th May 2015

DFW to LHR. Last time I travel on one of those planes. AA have squashed too many seats into this plane. No space to store my overnight bag. Had to place it in business class section and was told by hostess that I could not get access to it during the flight. There is not enough legroom to sit comfortably. If the person in front of you tilts their seat back they are sitting in your lap. American Airlines have forgotten that humans traveling on long-haul flights need to be reasonably comfortable. They are slipping back into their old ways that caused the airline to fail and go bankrupt. By far the worst flight I have ever been on. Food was atrocious.
Aircraft TypeBOEING 777-200
Seat Layout2x5x2

Review by (United States) 29th May 2015

These seats are so tight I experienced very real claustrophobia on the red eye from LAX to ATL. I had a window seat which cramped my shoulders and the foot area was cut by about 1/3. Trying to extend my legs the top of the opening hit mid-shin blocking access to the foot area. Exiting the seat was difficult. Worst plane seat experience ever. I am 5-11 and can't imagine the pain of someone taller. The only way to keep my knees from jamming against the seat in front was to sit as far back as possible and completely erect. On landing I slid forward and jammed both knees into the seatback hardware.
Aircraft TypeAIRBUS A319

Review by (United States) 29th May 2015

I was reminded why I never fly American Airlines- MCO-DFW-KON - The seats on this worn out old aircraft are crammed together so close when the person in front of you reclines you literally have strands of their hair in your face. They have tray tables but only half the size they are on all other airlines I have flown on. I could not even thumb through a magazine due to the seat in front of me being reclined into my face. The seats were worn and felt like sitting on a metal bar. In flight service is horrible for a 8 hr flight. No meal service - just overpriced snacks. One star rating is overrated.
Aircraft TypeBOEING 767-300
Seat Layout2x4x2

Review by (United States) 29th May 2015

I was stuck on this horrible airplane for a 5 hour flight from LAX to DCA! I had a window seat but the person next to me was a bit overweight. The side wall protruded into my seat area so I had very little space. The seat is very narrow and legroom is very minimal. It was impossible to put a drink and my laptop on the pull out table in front of me. The plane has very good storage bins above the seat an entertainment system (where almost everything costs $$) but the seats are horrible. I am a AAdvantage member but will make sure to never fly on an AA 737-800 again!!

Review by (United States) 1st February 2015

They have reduced the padding in the seats and having sciatica I found these seats excruciating and could not wait to get off this plane. I will go out of my way not to fly this plane again. Though the seats were slightly wider than other economy seats the lack of padding and lack of lumbar support made this horrible for me. Legroom was fine I was in mainseat extra. for me awful product. Like riding a park bench for three hours.
Aircraft TypeAIRBUS A321

Review by (United States) 27th January 2015

This was my first flight with seats configured to include a desk top computer-sized metal box under each seat taking about 1/3 of the available foot/storage space. After 2 1/2 hours with my leg twisted my knee hurt quite a bit. I could not put my laptop envelop (not even a briefcase) under the seat. The seat-back storage is almost nonexistent. The seat pitch with the new contoured seats kept me from even opening my laptop that has only a 12-inch screen. My company won't pay for seats with extra legroom so I am stuck in the torture chamber. After 20 years of flying only American if it went where I was going I am looking for an alternative. American you have pushed cramming more bodies into a fixed space too far this time.

Review by (United States) 19th November 2014

Worse than how thin the cushions are the shape of the seat is exactly opposite of what it should be for good back posture. There needs to be lumbar support. Instead this seat is hollow in the lumbar shaped like a "C" and forces you to slouch. Additionally the seat cushion you sit on is ridiculously thin short and uncomfortable. The bottom line is that the ergonomics of these seats is just terrible.

Review by (United States) 19th November 2014

This is AA's "new and improved" medium haul aircraft to replace their aging MD80 fleet and I am so appalled at the experience I really wonder what AA were thinking. The seats are on a 30" pitch - the tightest in the AA fleet and if you are over 5'6" tall you will be uncomfortable. The only upside is the IFE - every seat has a screen with some content to distract you from the cramped and uncomfortable seats - I would not recommend this aircraft for any flight over 2 hours. To add insult to injury to the frequent flyer there are only 8 first class seats giving a ration of 1 to 14 of first to economy. By comparison the outgoing MD80 had 16 first class seats giving a ratio of 1-8. So the new and improved A319 has a smaller seat pitch than the outgoing MD80 ledd first class seats (half as many) but has a TV screen in each seat. I will avoid this aircraft and actually prefer the 30 year old MD80.
Aircraft TypeAIRBUS A319

Review by (United States) 19th November 2014

NO legroom for anyone 6 feet or taller; I literally could not put my legs in front of me. I had to sit with a leg in the aisle and the other intruding on my wife's seat next to me. This was on a 10-hour overseas flight - almost qualified as torture. Incredibly uncomfortable when all seats are upright; when the seat in front of me was reclined I was trapped.
Aircraft TypeBOEING 777-200