Air New Zealand

Seat Reviews

Viewing TV 12345

Review by (New Zealand) 29th June 2015

I had an aisle seat. The seat itself was comfortable even for me at 2 meters tall and there was just sufficient legroom. The problem was being an aisle seat people kept bumping into me all night long. Not just passengers but the crew as well. The aisle is only sixteen inches wide. The passengers shoulders protrude beyond the back of the seat. I complained to the crew and they said it was not their fault. They said it was a huge problem for them and the airline just would not listen. I resent being bumped into like this. Normally an airline crew would apologise but I guess if you are bumping into people all the time you would never get any work done apologising all night. Very disappointing when other aspects of the flight were excellent. I checked the ATR aisle width and it is 19 inches. A lot less people and a lot less movement of people about the cabin
Aircraft TypeBoeing 777 200
Date Flown29-06-2015
Power Supply 12345
Seat Storage 12345

Review by (New Zealand) 11th June 2015

I review this seat before I have even travelled in it. Booked a spacesaver seat on 777-300 on Friday, paid my money. Further to negative comments on this site about Air New Zealand changing aircraft type decided to check out this before travel. Sure enough, they have changed to an old 777-200, no space seat, usual old seat. Been ripped off before I even fly.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 777-200
Seat Layout2x4x2

Review by (Australia) 29th May 2015

We purchased Brisbane to LAX return via Auckland. Our premium economy booking specifically stated SpaceSeat and the space seat was the entire reason for our booking. After boarding realised that we were on a777-200 so no space seats. Instead a very poor premium economy seat. Another passenger asked about the 300. In a rehearsed reply the attendant said 'oh that is on another route this aircraft is new. 'Never again.

Review by (New Zealand) 29th May 2015

I am not a tall person at 5'4" and have a slim build but I found the seats in economy were small too close to the seats in front and had no footrest. There wasn't even enough room to place my small cabin bag under the seat in front so I could elevate my feet. The pocket in front of my seat was so small you could hardly put anything in it and if you did you had to take it out to get up from your seat. I was unfolding my tray on this flight just as the person in front was reclining with the result of a good whack on my knees. I have never experience this before. I was extremely disappointed with the layout of this smart plane. There appears to be too much room in Premium Economy and far too little in Economy. There were only two toilets servicing our area of the plane.

Review by (Canada) 1st March 2015

My wife and I have flown with Air New Zealand from Canada to Queenstown using premium economy since 2006. While the Premium Economy price is considerably more than the economy we have willingly paid the difference for the comfort experienced on the long haul. Over the years we have experienced a variety of seating arrangements from the noticeable wider seats with more leg room to the "moon seats" which proved extremely uncomfortable and ultimately to the 777-200 flight which offered us the worst imaginable flight experience. The seats on our last trip to Queenstown and return were much narrower. We questioned our memory of past flights and finally checked the economy seats. Unfortunately economy seats did not look smaller than the premium economy. Our trip on January 4th this year to Queenstown found us on the long haul flight bumping elbows as we sat. There was no extra room to turn to choose a comfortable spot for sleeping. To use the phrase "disappointing" with reference to our latest trip and my own flight to Queenstown last May of 2014 is an understatement. The cost of our travel from Toronto to Queenstown was very close to $10000 for two adults. When advised by two friends who also traveled to Queenstown one week after us that their individual economy fares were in the region of $2500 each I am left wondering why so much was paid for so little. The premium economy accommodation would seem to be excessive in light of the meagre room afforded to your patrons of this class. I would be interested to know why customer care has been cut back and to what end. The crew are wonderful and every attempt is made within the cabin to accommodate travellers. Too bad that travel space is now cramped for premium economy patrons.

Review by (New Zealand) 22nd February 2015

NZ2 (AKL-LAX) Seat 46D. One of the most uncomfortable long flights of my life. The seats are extremely uncomfortable with poor cushioning. Couldn't get comfortable at all. Front pouch space is a joke. Cant put anything there. Had to put my cellphone on the floor. I drink water quite a bit on long flights and there was no cup holder like on other planes (usually on under side of tray). Had to bring down the tray to put my water cup. Unhappy with AirNZ cabin layout.

Review by (Australia) 27th January 2015

We flew Brisbane to Auckland and then on to San Francisco (I wish they flew direct from AU to the USA rather than transiting through NZ though). I'm 186cm tall and fairly solidly built but found these Spaceseats very comfortable. Their 777-300 planes are beautifully presented and the crew are always so friendly and helpful. I hate flying long haul as I find the seats so uncomfortable on other airlines. We flew Qantas PE to LA last year via Sydney on their A380 and found the whole experience very average. What I love about the Spaceseat is that you don't have some clown reclining into your personal space forcing your food into your face or spilling your drink. The TV screen is fine just move it to a better position. There is plenty of room even for larger folk. It's so comfortable and the cabin is nice and private. The purple beanbag/footrest is very welcome. Flip your shoes off and settle in. The only thing that could be improved is the recline seating should be electronic buttons rather than manual. Ignore the negative reviews you will love this seat! Add to that the exceptional Air NZ service and you can't go wrong. I look forward to trying the PE in their new 787 planes but somehow feel that it will be a step backwards.
Seat Layout2x2x2

Review by (Australia) 19th November 2014

We had a sky couch and as I am 6 foot 4 inches this was really a waste of time other than having an extra seat between the two of us. We just couldn't get comfortable on the flight to get in a sleeping position. The sky couch is rendered virtually useless when the seats in front fully recline and reduce the seating space dramatically. There were two sets of people on our side of the plane with sky couch but neither used it. I made the mistake of booking a sky couch rather than an exit row that would have been a better and cheaper option for us. Air New Zealand pack an extra seat in economy and this reduces the width of seat and that may make an uncomfortable journey for wide people.

Review by (Australia) 19th November 2014

Close to toilets means disturbance when trying to sleep. Queuing random bumping from crew and other passengers and light from the toilet door all contribute. Slightly less recline due to partition wall behind.
Aircraft TypeBOEING 777-200

Review by (New Zealand) 19th November 2014

These new refit by Air NZ are a horrific experience on a long haul. The narrowest seats with the least legroom I have measured. Less room and smaller than Air Asia seats. When reclined cannot see the PTV screen as the angle is wrong. Guy next to me was half on top of me. I was in the isle seat and was kept awake the entire trip by people bumping into me. People behind me were banging into the back rest and its impossible to recline because then you are right on top of the person behind. It was a nightmare trip and I had jet lag for days after. My advice is to not travel on this aircraft at all on long haul flight.
Aircraft TypeBOEING 777-200