Zurich Airport

"so much for Swiss hospitality"

Verified Review | This is the third time I've been at Zurich and seen two of their terminals and I must say while it's all squeaky clean and top notch on the surface, in all the ususal ways, there are nasty issues that lurk beneath. The biggest one I'd like to draw attention to is the absolute lack of any drinking water fountains anywhere. If they do exist they're hidden from plain sight and intended to deceive passengers. This is quite ridiculous and clearly meant to make us head to one of the cafes for an overpriced bottle of mineral water. (And that's overpriced in Swiss Francs remember). I've asked a few times and been made to walk all over terminals, though one staff member was honest enough to tell me there wasn't a fountain. Amazing. Another major bugbear is if you lose something on a flight or in the terminal the airport charges you 20 Swiss Francs to return the item. I mean, seriously? It's not like they're couriering it or delivering it to anyone. Just holding it like any other lost and found department. Is the operator of the airport losing a lot of money that they have to resort to such practices? The toilets are usually accessed by a flight of stairs - so much for accessibility for the elderly or those carrying bigger hand baggage. Besides they don't seem to have recliners anywhere for long haul transit passengers, just plain airport chairs on benches. Wow. So much for Swiss hospitality.
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"a very efficient and well organised airport"

Verified Review | ZRH is a very efficient and well organised airport. At peak hours, queuing times at the Star Alliance check-in and baggage drop can be a bit long though (around 10 minutes). On the other hand, the security checks are always very well organised and people are spread over multiple floors to minimize waiting times. Security took me about five minutes including walking times. There is a big Duty-Free shop behind security. The gate area is very clean and there are plenty of shops and small restaurants. If you’re into this, the architecture is very interesting and allows for great views, even into the Swiss alps. Arriving at the airport is very convenient too, if you don't have to go through customs and you have no checked baggage, it is entirely possible to be on a train to Zurich 10 minutes after getting off the plane. As a Swiss citizen, it is always amusing to watch the touristy things then arriving at ZRH. Being "greeted" by Roger Federer on a big screen or hearing Yodeling music at the arrival gates are only two of many things.
Date VisitAugust 2017

"efficient and fast and very polite staff"

Verified Review | Arrived from BOM to ZRH on Swiss. Flight got in early and so was a 6am arrival. Very organised airport to arrive at- the security was efficient and fast and very polite staff. Food options in the airport were alright - quite expensive though. Transferred via train to the main terminal for flight to Stuttgart. Immigration was quick and once again the Swiss staff were polite. Waiting for the connection was alright - some nice shops but all in all quite a pricey airport. Lovely view of the surrounding hills and greenery though - loved the all glass facade looking out right through the airport. Nice airport for a connection.
Date VisitApril 2017

"workers were consistently rude"

Verified Review | My time at Zurich Airport was the worst travel experience I have had. The workers were consistently rude and were not helpful. They did not know basic information about the airport that employees of the airport should know. Multiple times I would ask individuals for help or directions and they would either disregard me, scoff at my situation, or would point me in any random direction that never went to where I needed to go. I will do everything in my power to never fly in or out of there again
Date VisitJuly 2017

"passport control had a 20 minute wait"

Unverified | Customs / passport control at Zurich Airport had a 20 minute wait that was unpleasant and we almost missed our family flight. I will say, though that the Terminal E connection train is easy and fast. Well done, Zurich. Unfortunately, gate signs were hard to read and lack of TV monitors for flight info.
Date VisitJune 2017

"security control was smooth and friendly"

Verified Review | I arrived at Zurich Airport by train and went directly to the security control because I did not have checked luggage. Security control was smooth and friendly, I passed through in less than 3 minutes. Going through the duty free area and to the gate is no problem. Distances are not much of a problem, moving walkways help you to go to your gate. I really like Zurich Airport for it's efficent handling and so. But I don't like all the shopping areas. And yes, we are in Switzerland. Prices are uphill. But if you want to do shopping at an airport, this is your place. I did not use the WiFi.
Date VisitJune 2017

"Great Airport"

(Thailand)

Verified Review | Great Airport, lots of last minutes shopping options available, plus the connect to terminal train is very nice with images of the Swiss alps and the Cows, they do have a small kids play ground in case you need your kids to get active before you board your flight
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"experience with security was ridiculous"

Verified Review | The airport itself is fine. I'm familiar with it, and actually prefer making connecting flights through Zurich. But my last experience with security here was completely ridiculous. My boarding pass included the SSSS coding, which meant I would be pulled for a thorough pat down and security screening. At passport control at the gate, my boarding pass was confiscated and I was told to go wait by a screened off area near the gate where I would be searched. I did so. There was no security personnel anywhere in sight. After 15-20 minutes of waiting, I went back to passport control and said I was still waiting. I was sent back with a, "Security will come. Just wait." Meanwhile, over a dozen other passengers were waiting, too. I waited for 40 minutes for security to come do the screening. Our plane had begun boarding, and no security personnel had arrived. At the 45 minute mark, personnel finally arrived and began processing passengers. After my screening, my passport was also confiscated. I was told it would be returned but I would have to wait. Eventually, 10 minutes later, my passport and boarding pass were returned. I have never experienced a less efficient security screening than this at any airport. Completely ridiculous. I was also traveling with another person, so she had to wait almost an hour for me to get security clearance. Because of this experience, I will never fly Swiss or through Zurich again. I understand security these days is important, but to keep passengers waiting almost an hour? A complete joke.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"the personnel have no empathy whatsoever"

Verified Review | Several major issues with Zurich airport. First of all, they are the only airport I know of that refuses to allow you to take your baby in a pram to the airplane if it consists of two pieces. Their response as to how you should carry two bags and your baby is that they rent out prams "somewhere". Secondly as I arrived with my little boy quite late we were checked in and rushed to the gate without stopping. At the passport control I kindly told the lady if she would allow us (me, two bags and my 2 year old) to cut the line and was told to get to the back of the line. Her response was: "we are all in a rush". You just give up on people like that. I subsequently ran to the gate, where the plane was still waiting and which was to be delayed for another hour but was refused entry. Instead of forwarding my bags or helping me out otherwise, I was told to go to Lost and Found to collect my bags and pram which took another hour. Finally with my 2yr old completely exhausted I arrived in London 8 hours later. I will try to avoid this airport in future since its policies regarding travelling with children are backwards and most of the personnel have no empathy whatsoever.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"one of the most efficient airports I know"

One of the most efficient airports I know. Transfering from Schengen to Non Schengen terminal is usually less then 30 mins. Plenty of choice for shops and restaurants. Certainly all is not cheap there. Everything is very clean and staff are helpful. Swiss business lounge is decend, enough smoking longues available.
Date VisitFebruary 2017