Washington Dulles Airport

Washington Dulles Airport customer review

I was coming in from Frankfurt and as a green card holder I am lucky to get to use the US citizen section of immigration. While it was slow it did move - unlike the non-citizen lines. Most people around me however did not think they would make their connection flights. I had 2 hours between flights and arrived at the gate to the St. Louis flight less than 10 mins before takeoff. The immigration officer was condescending but as a frequent traveler to Europe I am used to it unfortunately as there are many rude ones at any port of entrance airport in the US. Security was a complete mess and equally unprepared for (and uninterested in) the many flights that were coming in from abroad. Instead of at least supplying us with the plastic boxes needed to put all your stuff in we had to get them ourselves walking over to some pile once the one at the belt was depleted. Terrible attitudes and awful facilities.

Washington Dulles Airport customer review

I arrived at the same time as many other people from overseas transferring to other flights. They appeared unprepared for processing more than about 50 people. You collect your bag and after that everything falls apart. The room is small low ceilings and hot and it keeps merging into a 2 lane security control. It was a small miracle that my bag actually arrived in SF same time as I. There are no roped off zigzag lanes until you are really close to the security point so it is a mass of hot tired people trying to squeeze into a bottleneck. In my case once finally through the scanner it was a very long walk to the next flight. Not a single moving sidewalk. Just crowded terminals never ending and one very long hot sprint.

Washington Dulles Airport customer review

Once upon a time it was magic - arrived/departed Concorde several times nothing too much trouble. Fast forward a few years United flight from LHR. Awful immigration/ passport delays surly staff and general chaos. When querying how I was supposed to make my connecting flight in time (luggage checked all the way tho' to my final destination) I was told if I do not make the flight I would have to spend the night in DC and come back the next day. Made the connecting flight with minutes to spare after having run for what seemed miles. Great start to a business trip.

(South Korea)

Arrived on Korean Air from ICN. Washington Dulles airport is very cramped especially arrival passport control. Lines are very long mostly because TSA take too much time to check people. I took me 1hr to pass through the immigration process. Not to mention arrogant attitudes of TSA. There were 2-3 Korean Air FA's at the passport control to help anyone who has difficulty in speaking English which I find a superb service offered by Korean Air. Arrival hall was very cramped and dark with its horribly low ceiling. Starbucks at the arrival hall is always full of people so don't expect to find a place to sit. Wouldn't recommend anyone to enter the US through IAD.

Washington Dulles Airport customer review

The airport has received incremental improvements over the past several years but remains a time consuming less than pleasant departure or arrival destination. I have not had problems with customs and immigration but also have not arrived at "crush times. There's still a lot of walking between arrival and the gate. The airtrain and new security areas could be better located to reduce the time and walking. Terminal D has to be reached via the skybus or walking from terminal C. The food choices in terminal C/D has gradually improved but the concourse can be time consuming to traverse. On arrival the ground transportation is confusing and it is un-necessarily difficult to find the Metrobus to DC. I've used this airport many times as a DC resident and as a traveller when I lived elsewhere. I minded it less before the renovations of BWI and DCA. Metro service here will help with access from DC which is either expensive or relies on cramped infrequent public transportation.

Washington Dulles Airport customer review

I had the misfortune of having to fly into Dulles on a return trip from Copenhagen. Customs is a complete embarrassment. The customs agent would not allow US citizens to use the escalator even those with handicaps. It took 90 mins to get through customs. They didn't care about connecting flights were rude and treated us like cattle. What a shame that this may be the first experience visitors to our country experience. Security was no better. It took forever. They ruined my Kindle. It didn't work after being scanned. The airport is dingy in need of a good cleaning. excessive walking to the gates with no apparent alternative transportation. It is an extremely difficult airport for anyone with special needs. I will avoid Dulles if at all possible in the future.

Washington Dulles Airport customer review

It's the queuing that lets the whole thing fall on its face. I think Fast Track for premium pax is as essential entering as it is leaving the country.

Washington Dulles Airport customer review

The first time I flew into Dulles it was outstanding coming from Heathrow on British Airways. For some reason coming from Frankfurt on Lufthansa was a completely different story. Just getting to baggage claim took about 20-30 minutes then after reclaiming our bags we had to hand them to this guy who basically snatched the bag and slammed it onto the conveyor belt like it was some kind of pleasure for him. Security line was forever long and TSA yelling at people and treating them like cattle. A completely different airport than the first time.

(Czech Republic)

After flying 11 hours it took us 2.5 hours to get through immigration - about four hundred people in line and two immigration officers on duty every twenty minutes a flight crew would go to the head of the line causing further delays one young woman in front of us passed out and had to be treated by paramedics. An immigration supervisor was walking around refusing to have any eye contact with the frustrated passengers and didn't seem to care that people were missing their connections due to the long wait. This is an embarrassment for the US to treat it's visitors so badly we will spend our next vacation in Europe and avoid going to the US.

Washington Dulles Airport customer review

Expectations were low. Things did not get off to a promising start when the buggy took around 30min to leave from international arrival gate to Customs/Immigration. However immigration was deserted to passport control took mere minutes to process by a not very talkative CPB agent. Even though I declared food Customs/Ag inspection was a glance at the bag as I wheeled it past them. Bag drop for the connecting flight was painless. TSA inspection also painless though shoe circus persists. United Terminal not very spacious and quite busy. In all a painless experience.