Washington Dulles Airport

Review by (United States) 23rd July 2015

Immigration and customs lines are unacceptable, took 75 mins just to get thru immigration. Then claim baggage and another hour to get through customs lines. Then you have to figure out (poor to non-existent) signage how to get back to the terminal on a train and go back through security (another line!) and run to your gate just in time to board - with no time to grab a snack or stop at a restroom. To add insult to injury, only of our three bags made it to final destination. You would think the airport would rather have people shopping and eating at the airport during a multi-hour layover. Will avoid IAH for future international travel.
Date Visit21-07-2015
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure

Review by (United States) 1st June 2015

Signs at the airport to guide passengers should be easy to read not just to native English speakers but foreigners too. If you only write "Transfers" it doesn't mean much to foreign passengers. Flight Connections would make more sense. Passengers end up on the shuttle for the "final destination passengers" as people are being rushed to the shuttle or "transfer" paths. The staff that you have to guide passengers when they arrive they don't help if they are yelling the directions to you; you just get stressed and confused. I saw an agent tell a Chinese couple to read the screen showing in Chinese on how to do the express passport checking as he didn't know Chinese! e.g. you need to read it as I don't know what it says!

Review by (United Kingdom) 28th April 2015

I read lots of poor reviews about Dulles especially queues for immigration. My experience was not too bad with only a 30 minute queue. I do dislike the mobile lounges though which make disembarkation a real pain: off the plane into a terminal along a corridor into a mobile lounge then off again and further walking. A better design is clearly needed.

Review by (United Kingdom) 26th April 2015

Arrived 14th April 2015. Electronic immigration an improvement. Baggage delivery now needs to catch up. However in rental car within 75 min from landing. Departure on 23rd April. TSA good with fast travel through security. Arrival mobile lounges are antiquated and must be replaced ASAP.

Review by (United States) 23rd April 2015

Dulles Airport is an excellent airport if you are leaving on an international flight. The TSA officials are very efficient and courteous and the Aerotrain is also very convenient as well. Coming back is another story even though Dulles has improved. First of all are the ancient plane mates which take you to the international arrivals building but which will be used for the foreseeable future. Second even though the electronic kiosks for U.S. citizens in theory are a good idea they are complicated to use at first and you still have to hand the print out to a border security agent. Third the border security agents are extremely rude even to U.S. citizens. The agent who looked at my passport asked me where I visited which I told him and then he began grill me about why I didn't mention the other country I visited (Turkey where I only changed flights) even though I never left the airport to get my connecting flight! Fourth your luggage is routinely removed from the baggage carousel and placed in a pile without you even knowing. I made a complaint to Dulles Airport's Twitter handle and was told that the airlines are doing this and not the airport but that they would look into it. Even with all these complications on my return it only took me about an hour to be out of the airport. If only Dulles could improve the return experience for international passengers it would truly be a great airport.

Review by (Pakistan) 6th April 2015

Have used Dulles three times now coming and flying out. Must be honest I found this airport to be pretty good and efficient. It all depends on when you arrive and your luck. I have arrived on the same flight two months apart and the difference was 0 mins to 40 mins waiting in the line. Of course it depends on how quickly you can get off the plane. The TSA going out were really professional polite and it took me only a few mins to get through. The duty free and food is limited but there is plenty of space to sit and there are a few restaurants. Overall a good experience. Better than other US airports I have flown out of.

Review by (United Kingdom) 20th March 2015

Arrived yesterday from London had 2 hour passport queue and after passing noticed that the queues were longer than when I arrived backing by the escalator. This is typical of this airport in my experience and totally unacceptable. The queue peak times are well known so the only conclusion is that the airport thinks it's fine. Ended up wasting time I otherwise would use for business. Me and perhaps 1000 other people were very angry.

Review by (United Arab Emirates) 26th January 2015

I'm clearly in the minority here but I rather like Dulles. I use the airport once or twice a year and in the last decade I've never had to wait more than 40 minutes at immigration and more usually only 10-20 minutes (I'm not a US citizen and have to use the 'long' queues). Security seems to have streamlined their process and in the last 5 years I've never had to wait more than 20 minutes for security at departure. My suitcase is often waiting for me at the baggage carousel. Immigration and customs staff have clearly been taking some customer training and have become much friendlier over the last decade. I like the train between terminals. I even like the mobile lounges that take you from your terminal to immigration on arrival if flying internationally. My only real quibble is that duty free shopping options remain poor. I suppose it helps that by now I know to time my arrival time to avoid peak arrivals and departures where possible and I know how to work with some of Dulles' quirks to reduce (though almost never eliminate) my queuing time but compared to some of the other major East Coast international airports I really don't see much grounds for complaint in terms of either queuing times and facilities. Certainly it's a much quieter airport than some of its competitors which is a real bonus.

Review by (France) 14th January 2015

Arrived from CDG had to walk quite a distance until the bus that brings you to the main terminal! At least immigration was very quick but upon departure on a domestic flight very early next morning I had to wait 30 mins to get through security since only one machine was working! Totally unacceptable for such a big airport.

Review by (United States) 14th January 2015

Flying out was easy food was OK but on the way back we had to go through immigration and that was the worst experience I've ever had. The foreigners had to wait longer than I did but after entering in all of my information into a kiosk I had to wait in line for an hour and a half. All because I was unlucky enough to be singled out for extra scrutiny (got an X over my name). There was one person handling all of the foreigners one for the X Citizens/Residents but three for the non X'd Citizens/Residents. The total time from leaving the plane until getting our bags was 2.5 hours. The inspector was pleasant but considering that they have fifty inspector booths only manning five of them is just insulting.