Vienna Airport

"The worst airport ever"

(Denmark)

Verified Review | The worst airport ever! Stay away! We had 1.5 hour connection, no delay on arrival and we managed to get in airplane on last moment. From our arrival gate to the departure gate we had to use a bus. Yes, that’s not a joke, the airport system is joke. And: When we arrived finally to the gate we were forced again to pass security control, scanning again our hand baggage, and to show for third time our passports and our boarding pass. And it was inside EU Connection. Endless queues, again and again, 3 times, for really no practical reason. The worst airport ever (of course the fact that there is no way to recharge your phone it’s just a minor detail).
Date VisitNovember 2017

"clean and well maintained"

Verified Review | Took train from Vienna city center to the airport. The airport has is very connected to the city. I took s7 train. There're other trains available too which will get you to the airport in 15-20 minutes, including a new super fast service. Airport has some nice duty free shops where you can find all kind of liquor, chocolates, souvenir etc. I was in Art Lounge for an hour which was good. They have total four lounges. You need to have Priority Pass membership or some other type which allows Lounge access. Not sure if you can walk in and buy. Security check in was fast and hassle free. Airport is clean and well maintained.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"need to speed up transit"

(Czech Republic)

Verified Review | This was not the first time I've used this airport. I used to live in Brno so Vienna airport was closer than Prague airport for me, but now I moved to Prague and this was first time I've used this airport as a transit airport - which was a totally different experience. On the outbound flight I didn't have much time because the plane was 30 minutes late and I only had 30 minutes to get to my gate while going to passport control. It was ok, since I knew the airport I've found my gate quickly and also because it's easy to navigate it, I even had time to use the toilets which are almost everywhere and always clean. Problem was on the way back. We had 1 hour and 10 minutes and my plane arrived 10 - 15 minutes late, which shouldn't be a problem, but as I was arriving from Cyprus it was non-Schengen so I had to do passport control and unfortunately they don't have automatic gates for EU biometric passport, like they have in Prague or London which would save lots of time. The biggest problem I had was the security control, like we were transit passangers and already had one in Larnaca so I don't why we needed to have another one? Me and the rest of my colleagues almost missed our flights. We arrived to the gate 10 to 5 minutes before departure so it was really close. Otherwise from my previous experience Vienna was ok. Shopping and enough restaurants and wifi works well, but they need to speed up transit.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"amazing lost property service"

Verified Review | Absolutely amazing lost property service. My phone was dropped at security which I did not notice. Completed the online form for lost property on my return, got a reply within hours. The airport arranged for it to be sent free of charge to an airport of my choice to be collected from the lost and found department - all within 24 hours: Incredible. Terminal three excellent, speedy automated boarding facilities. No queue for self check in, or loading luggage. Huge advantage flying with Austria Airlines that you can drop your luggage off hours before you fly. This cannot be done at Terminal one where you have to queue two hours before the flight. Food facilities could be more varied but what was there was good quality. Would benefit from improved lighting within the terminal. Plenty of room before boarding - a seat for everyone. Free Wifi throughout.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"a terrible last impression of Vienna"

Verified Review | Airport nice and clean. Passport control very rude. Asked me when we arrived in the Shenzhen area which is a term I was not familiar with. I told her we had been in Vienna 3 days and before that Salzburg and before that Strasbourg. She tersely asked when we arrived in the EU. I said July 1. She then told me there were no arrival stamps in our passports. I explained that I believed all of our passports were stamped in Paris and was sorry if she could not find them. She then lectured me on it being my responsibility to make sure my documents are stamped. Afterward I checked all 4 passports and found all 4 stamps. What a terrible last impression of Vienna.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"staff very polite and friendly"

(Thailand)

Verified Review | The day before my flight, I was here to send off a friend, and was able to take a look around the airport. I like the automated boarding card check, and believe it should be like this at every airport. The duty free area is cheaper compared to some airports. The staff are very polite and friendly. I didn't have any food at the airport, so I can't comment on that. I was departing from a D gate so security was individually at the gate, and I had to wait until the gate was open to be able to get into the queue. The wifi is fast and easy to connect. Overall, So many other airports around the world can learn from Vienna airport. They should earn another star to become a five star airport. However my point of criticism is the fact that at certain areas of the airport, the ceilings are pretty low.
Date VisitJune 2017

"disappointed by the lack of shopping area"

(Thailand)

Verified Review | We had 3hrs+ layover at the Vienna airport before our long haul flight home. I'd been looking for tax free brandnames shopping and was so disappointed by the lack of shopping area and range. No hi-end brands in sight! Barely any brand name shops at all. It was 7pm and we decided to opt for dinner. There were only a few restaurants to go for. We wandered around back and forth to find "again" very limited selection, few sandwiches sitting on the shelf sad and cold. Salad bar with a few bruised veggies floating in a watery dressing. To that point, we gave up and decided we would pay 29€ each for a better experience with the airport lounge access, which was advertised with a hot and cold buffet, relaxing couch, wifi, and shower. We were so wrong once again. The lounge was not close to what we expected or as it was advertised. It looked more like a waiting room for drivers. People were stretching uncomfortably with their feet sticking up in the air on cheap quality sofas. There was a coffee machine and a buffet bar hardly a meter wide with a soup pot and some wimpy sausages on a plate, that's all they had as a hot and cold buffet for you. We left again desperately. Finally we had to pay for 25€ for a burger, a sandwich and 2 bottles of soda at one restaurant just to find somewhere to settle. It was the worst layover experience we ever had. We'll never plan for a long transit in this airport ever again.
Date VisitJune 2017

"arrival is more comfortable than the departure"

Verified Review | I went to Vienna Airport for the second week now and with more weeks to come I am not very pleased. The arrival is more comfortable than the departure. The hallways are spacious and empty, also the view on the apron is nice. But the departure is far worse. It is crowded as hell, you are forced through a very small duty free shop, where at the first glance almost everyone stops and brings the walking crowd to a grinding hold. The seating is nice if you are lucky to get one. They also have nice comfty laptop seats with a small table and socket for charging your devices. Or at least they looked comfy, because obviously I could not get hold of one. Also the planner of the airport must have thought that it would be a funny game to figure out what the least amount of restrooms is with a public building can be build legally in Austria. Now to the positive things: The airport security is very efficient and fast. The directions are very clear and understandable. More tips: Do not try to travel here when they are public holidays ahead in Austria. The airport is way to small to handle it. Also prepare not to be able to use restrooms and carry a portable seat with you.
Date VisitJune 2017

"the departure gate was totally chaotic"

Verified Review | I was impressed with the Skytrax rating of the airport proudly displayed on the entrance doors to the airport. I was expecting a good experience. The reality of my experience is different to the rating of the airport. I was departing on flight EZY2464 to London and the departure gate was totally chaotic. The small size of the departure gate area meant only limited seating with many passengers including the elderly having to stand leading to cramped crowded conditions after security similar to a third world airport! Why is it necessary to herd people into such a small area? Vienna airport you must improve.
Date VisitMay 2017

"good airport with two big flaws"

(Czech Republic)

Verified Review | All over good airport with two big flaws. It has no water fountains once you pass security control. They sell 0.5l plastic water starting at 2 EUR. Avoid the interchange bank even for withdrawing money. They will rob you by 10 to 12 percent. They used to have other banks machines but those are gone. I wonder why. Seating facilities at terminals are plenty and quite clean, free WiFi is big plus.
Date VisitApril 2017