Vienna Airport

"shocked how dirty"

Trip Verified | Visiting Austria 1-2 times a year, this time for my Mothers funeral, I was shocked how dirty and stinking all the toilets on the Airport were! Always proud at my Austrian heritage and the cleanliness in Austria I was ashamed that my husband saw that too! What happened? Is there no money for toilet cleaning anymore? The irony are the electronic devices on the exits where you could leave your feelings! I would suggest to give those back and hire a "Klo Frau"! Is anybody ever checking this, or did Austria become already a third world Country?
Date VisitAugust 2018

"offloading work from employees to passengers"

(Czech Republic)

Trip Verified | As I traveled to USA on August 1 the computer at check-in wrote I needed to see an employee for baggage. So I tried to use assisted drop-off for my luggage. Yes, tried. After queuing 10min a woman behind counter 368 told me to use a self check-in for luggage without as much as apology. I never encountered such rude behaviour from airport employee saying "Do it yourself" to a customer. A young lady helped me later, she needed to use her card to check in my bag. You make people pick the scanner and scan the bag tag like an airport employee instead of letting the employees do their job. A traveller shouldn't touch anything else except his possessions. Another issue is lack of toilets at international G gates, long queues for them and they are dirty, some clogged with paper. I am put off by the attitude of no water fountains, only overpriced water in plastic bottles is available instead. Where is your ecological attitude? Recycle bins are just a poor excuse. Extra screening for randomly picked passengers. They tell you to walk there, so you walk unattended to scanning point where they throw most of stuff from your bag out and then let you unattended walk back to gate. This airport boasts about how many passengers get through every year. They are increasing their profits also by offloading work from employees to passengers. Why shall we pay high airport taxes? Honestly, if I'm given a choice it won't be your airport in the future.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"It wasn’t a great experience"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | I recently flew from Vienna to Berlin on Austrian Airlines. It wasn’t a great experience. The check in for my departure was pretty confusing and it wasn’t very clear what the process was. After I’d checked in, my flight was cancelled and I was booked on a later flight. When I went to the customer service desk, the person on duty said that he knew nothing about the cancelled flight and that he couldn’t help. He told the waiting people that they’d have to go back downstairs to get new boarding passes. It took quite some time to find someone who would help and to find where to go. As I had a long wait for my new flight, I paid to use the airline lounge. The lounge was extremely crowded and noisy, there were very few free chairs. The food was awful, very little variety and looked as though it had been there drying out for quite some time.

"very clear signage"

Trip Verified | New and modern airport, with very clear signage making navigation a breeze. The airport itself is pretty clean, plenty of toilets, shops, and has free wifi. What surprised me was the travel in and out of the airport to the city. I took a direct train from Haufbanhof (inner city) to the airport, only 16 minutes journey, costed me €4.8. Unbelievable. There are also a lot of options, including the more premium CAT trains with in-station check in which is pretty impressive (€19). The shortest Airport-City journey I had was in Sydney. It took merely 20 minutes, it’s a shared communal city train, no luggage space, and for no particular reason you’re charged $16 AUD. Love the commute, makes travelling so easy. I will visit Vienna again one day.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"security was slick and well-organised"

Trip Verified | Arrival (within Schengen) was fine with quick baggage and and an easy journey to the city centre via the CAT. On departure check in (Easyjet) was good, passport control was quick and polite, security was slick and well-organised. In short everything was going well until we found ourselves at Gate D69/70. This is a sort of subterranean holding pen with barely enough seating for one well-filled A320 let alone two departing within five minutes of each other. There was no obvious access to toilets (exploration would have meant giving up our seats and fortunately the need wasn't urgent) and only a machine selling ridiculously overpriced water. It was a rather unpleasant, claustrophobic ending to an otherwise good airport experience. Luckily our flight was on time because I wouldn't like to be delayed under these conditions.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"clean throughout, good signage"

Trip Verified | Excellent for transit when (DTW-EWR-VIE-ODS) I didn't need to go through passport control and security. Clean throughout, good signage, shop where I could quickly buy a tasty baguette at reasonable cost. I made the connection with (nominally) 90 minutes even through arriving flight was late. The incoming flight (large airplane) had a jetway, but we were bused a short distance to the outgoing flight. All personnel courteous.

"terribly bad service"

(Norway)

Trip Verified | Terribly bad service at departure. The que for just delivering my suitcase took almost 1.5 hours. And there was no option for dropping the luggage for people who all ready have done their check in on the phone.

"seating availability poor"

Not Verified | Passport control quite smooth when I travelled but seating availability poor around D gate area so be prepared to stand around a while until security opens at the gate.
Date VisitJune 2018

"waiting at passport control"

Trip Verified | Arriving from a EU, non-Schengen flight in the same time with a EVA flight from Taipei meant a lot of waiting at the passport control. There weren't any EU passengers desk or e-gates. This sums up with the fact that the plane was parked outside and we had to wait for a bus to bring us to the terminal, zigzagging between planes and waiting a lot to pass. It seems to me like it is working at full capacity, this airport. After that, although transiting there was another security check, after walking some good meters between terminals, wich delayed the experience even more. The shops and restaurants are good distributed and he quality of the products is average, but to expensive, in my opinion. I've been some years ago in this airport and I had the same experience as now, not one of my favorites, I would say.
Date VisitMay 2018

"a great airport to transit"

Trip Verified | Vienna is a great airport to transit. I have transited here several times and always encountered short lines at security or passport controls. In this particular instance, I left the arriving flight 25 minutes before the departure of my connecting flight, but still arrived in time for the latter – even though I had to pass passport control before. If you have a bit of time, there are also pleasant seating areas. I can only recommend to transit through Vienna.
Date VisitMay 2018