Vote Now

Venice Marco Polo Airport

"airport's departure hall is so disorganised"

Verified Review | I arrived into Venice airport in the middle of the night and everything was smooth apart from the rude bus driver for the bus to the city. We boarded the bus and were told to purchase a ticket from the kiosk. We exited the bus and the driver drove off immediately afterwards. Departures was another story however. My experience at departures was awful. The airport's departure hall is so disorganised (long queues) and there is a lack of space to even with to move. This made checking in very stressful and is easily one of the worst experiences checking in I have had. The only redeeming factor during check in was the friendly assistant who tried to speed up the queues by directing passengers to the Alitalia luggage drop off area (which was not advertised).
Date VisitOctober 2016

"could barely have been handled better"

As a regular user of the site, I was not looking forward to my trip to Venice Marco Polo but I actually quite liked it. Whether it was because it was the end of October, who knows. The flight in was smooth, the buses to get passengers to terminals are always a bit of a nuisance, but we were bussed in, picking up the baggage in a pretty smart baggage reclaim area and out looking for our water taxi in 15 minutes. Today's return journey was a late morning flight. I could see how the check in area could have been very dingy, but with three desks open, we checked in 2 and a half hours early in 10 minutes. Upstairs to the security desks - plentiful, slick and through in 5 minutes. Air side, lots of seats and shiny shops if that's your thing. A quick hop through passport control to our series of gates, seats at a premium but sufficient. Whether the refursbishments have kicked in or whether we were lucky, but our Jet2 flight to Manchester could barely have been handled better.
Date VisitOctober 2016

"utter shambles, an absolute disgrace"

Have used Venice airport often but my latest visit can only be described as atrocious. We were flying back to Manchester - a journey we've done many times. To start with, because of building work it was hard to find the departure area (usually easy) and when we got there it wasn't clear where security was (there were actually 2 separate queues). Our flight was late and also no gate number was put up so we were left in an area for an indefinite time with no seating whatsoever unless you count the overpriced cafes. Eventually went early through passport control in the hopes of at least finding a seat. Very few available. Even at the gate there were crowds of people and hardly any seating. To add insult to injury our plane was parked so far away we all had to be taken by bus. That took 30 minutes. I might also say I was forcibly pushed out of the toilet area by a female cleaner. No toilets available for women for a good 20 minutes when I was there and eventually the lengthy queue used the disabled toilet. Utter shambles and an absolute disgrace.
Date VisitSeptember 2016

"run down, with minimal facilities"

One of the worst airports we've ever visited. Run down, with minimal facilities. A single check-in desk for a large, busy flight. Disgusting, grossly overpriced food. Chaotic, inefficient boarding and a filthy plane which ground staff hadn't bothered to clean.
Date VisitSeptember 2016

"not enough seating areas "

Not enough seating areas provided, super overpriced food. €6.00 for a sandwich is a little bit out of order. Free wifi. Not only the flight was delayed but there was nothing to do. Terribly boring.
Date VisitSeptember 2016

"departures are a shambles"

This was the worst airport I have ever been in. Departures are a shambles. There is not enough room, I know the building work might change this but it is horrendous. Check in queues are awful and there are so many people that check in and security queues merge into each other. No clear signage, we got to our departure gate with minutes to spare even though we had got there 2 hours before. Would love to go back to Venice but the airport puts me off.
Date VisitAugust 2016

"security continues to be a mess"

Venice Marco Polo looks like an airport, but the usual shambles at baggage drop. We frequently fly with easyJet and this airport does them a serious disservice. We arrived at the airport well before desks opened, then the usual dive for the queue, then nothing. Desks 73-74 for baggage drop? No. Desk 73 was for special assistance, desk 74 for speedy boarding. The 'real' desk was no.75, with no sign, of course. After half an hour of little progress, an employee wandered along the line and asked if we'd checked in online. Of course we had. That's what you do with easyJet. As we were first to say that we had, we got pulled to a nearby desk and luggage weighed and off we went, trying not to make eye-contact with the puzzled passengers in front of us. Security continues to be a mess, with officious, badged 'trainees' insisting that the removal of laptops etc is done only at the point when the bags are actually placed on the belt to be scanned, in other words, not allowing passengers to get organised before that point, presumably in case they go through too quickly. Upstairs the café provides some reasonable salads etc if you can work out what they cost. I made the mistake of thinking pasta might be tasty. Worst ever in any country. Luke-warm, pre-cooked, dipped into a thin watery sauce. It was supposedly a set meal, with the main course being thin pieces of charred chicken and cold chips. How this airport stands any chance of expanding into the new space is beyond imagination. It goes without saying that signage is inadequate. We guessed where we needed to be from previous experience. If the airport didn't serve such a beautiful city as Venice, we would never go there again.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"no proper lines"

I have been in many airports and this is the most unorganised place I have ever been in my life. Short on check in staff and everybody just gathers around all over the place, no proper lines to stand in and absolutely not one bit of organisation whatsoever with not one person to help or advise where to queue. Just herded in crowds like cattle going to market. We were all herded together all going on different flights the staffing is a joke. We stood juggling for at least two hours absolutely horrendous. The buses are parked about half mile away also which is awful. I am so surprised with this airport so far behind. I will never return here and definately advise anyone going, not to.
Date VisitJune 2016

"heaving with passengers, limited seating"

Venice Marco Polo Airport is chaos. No clear signage for departure check-in. Heaving with passengers, limited seating, passengers having to squeeze past each other. Clearly not enough check in agents. Long waiting times in queues for check-in even for bag drop passengers who had checked in online and had boarding cards. Insufferable heat, AC on but must be in need of service. Information boards - did not have check in desk indicated. Long security queues mingling with check in passengers. Gate 25 and others in this area overcrowded. Not enough cafes in this area. Drinks machine almost empty. Departure gates insufficient staff. Insuffient buses to transport passengers to aircraft on stands. Passengers waiting on full buses in blazing heat, standing and crushed together for long periods of time up to 20 mins
Date VisitJune 2016

"avoid this airport at all costs"

I have been through many airports but without doubt, Venice is the worst of them all - especially for departure. I have never seen such terrible organisation and crowd management. Yes it is busy and yes there are building works going on, however this is an international airport and has to be improved for the sanity of those using it. The check in queues are horrendous and slow. We were in the check in queue for 2 hrs. This was made worse by a party of at least 15 people who pushed to the front and expected to not have to wait on the strength of 2 of them being diabetic. This was totally inappropriate. If possible, avoid this airport at all costs.