Vancouver Airport

"Come on get the process figured out"

Trip Verified | I arrived on AC34 from Sydney Australia, 7.20am, Nov 30th. Then walked the up/down route to get to the Immigration/Customs clearance. I would think that someone could have designed this airport better, having to go Up/Down stairs (they have escalator too) instead of on one level! But this isn't the worst part. Immigration/Customs clearance with the new computer terminals, where they scan your passport then you need to line your face in a narrow scan on the screen but the camera is up higher than where you are looking, so fail! After that you spend at least 1 to 2 hrs snaking back and forth to see an agent, whoever looks after this process needs to visit Australia. Sydney Airport where they put through a higher numbers of passengers. It took me 3 mins in Sydney once I arrived at the Immigration/Customs clearance area. Come on get the process figured out.
Date VisitNovember 2017

"lots of seating and nice washroom facilities"

Trip Verified | I was flying out of Vancouver airport to Brisbane. My flight was scheduled to depart at 12.30am from gate D50. Unfortunately where gate D50 seemed to be located was in a far corner of the internationals terminal (You turned left immediately after the main security line). The only flights that were boarding in this area of the departures was the 2 Air Canada flights to Australia that night. There were no restaurants or bars nearby and the only shop that was open was a newsagent that also had a small 9 table area where a lady was serving either 'Red or White'. I did go for a glass of the red, as that was the only thing that was around. However, we did take a quick walk towards the main part of the international terminal once we got through security, which looked like there were a few more options that were still open at that time of night. It was about a 10 minute walk back to our gate so we didn't want to go too far. The terminal did have lots of seating and nice washroom facilities. I just wish we had a better gate number that was more central in the international terminal. If you do plan to enjoy yourself at this airport just give yourself lots of time in the case that you get assigned gate D50 for departure.
Date VisitNovember 2017

"45 minutes for airport staff to locate my wife"

(South Africa)

Unverified | LHR TO YYV via YVR. Had requested assistance due to age and infirmity. Self 85, wife 72. Usually assistance is provided and works like a charm with both my wife and I being transported through the airport together. Not in Vancouver! Very slick (important) male said my wife must find her own way to departure counters. It took 45 minutes for airport staff to locate my wife and bring her to the gate where I was waiting. On our return flights things were as they should have been on the first flights. Just shows how one overzealous person can get an airport a bad reputation.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"extreme long waiting times"

Verified Review | The worst ever experience on any western continent Airport! Flying in from Salt Lake City on September 1 and flying out the same day to Amsterdam. Thousands of passengers did experience the same as we did. It was horrible, hot, no fresh air, unorganized, and extreme long waiting times. We needed to go through customs for no reason at all when you are in transit. We needed also an ESTA form and pay for it. The baggage was not forwarded. The check in procedure was exhausting. We were treated as animals and separated from Canadians and Americans. Never again via Vancouver!
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"2 hours to get through"

Verified Review | Worst inbound customs and immigration lines, and the worst experience I've ever had in an airport. Yes, worse than Bangkok without fast track, worse than Moscow. Budget for at least 2 hours to get through.
Date VisitAugust 2017

"disappointing and disheartening"

Unverified | Departing from Vancouver - departure area disgusting. Food everywhere, spills on seats, armrests and the flooring, can't understand why the upkeep of this place can't be held up to the standard of the international part of the airport. Very disappointing and disheartening.
Date VisitAugust 2017

"Very un-productive"

Verified Review | Long lines to security upon departure and long lines to custom upon arrival. There are ways to address it but nothing done! Very un-productive. Very frustrating! Unhelpful employees. What else can you say? Process should be revisited by their management!
Date VisitJuly 2017

"certainly not user friendly"

Verified Review | Looked beautiful but certainly not user friendly for those requiring assistance. We arrived with plenty of time for our flight, using a lounge prepared for post-cruise use at the Fairmont. Moving from the hotel to Delta's ticket area was easy as was check in. I was surprised that the passenger was required to move their luggage to the screening area - and then load it as the gentleman watching the operation refused to assist. We were able to obtain a pusher for my wife's wheelchair easily. She was friendly for the more than 40 minute wait to go through security. Seems Canadian security decided that only one screening position was required for strollers and wheelchairs. The entire process was glacial, maybe even slower as there were maybe thirty people in line. Each wheelchair, ours provided by the airport, was inspected as if it was an annual maintenance check. The area immediately after passing through the passenger screening check point looked like a demolition derby of strollers and wheelchairs with screeners doing more thorough inspections and passengers trying to collect their bags, belts and shoes from the mass of items packed into a mess. Finally clearing dis-functional junction, we broke into the clear for a smooth transit through US immigration and customs before transiting the usually duty free goods tunnel of shopping bliss, then a several hundred yard walk to Gate 90. The gate area reminded me of the Delta small plane area at JFK - crowded, uncomfortable, and seemingly more temporary than permanent in nature. The lady who spent the better part of an hour assisting my wife was pleasant and most helpful as was the Delta gate agent. Having to move and load your bags after checking in with your airline then waiting for security screening solely because you require assistance made for a rather poor impression.
Date VisitJune 2017

"airport doesn't have the capacity"

Verified Review | Vancouver airport is a failure! The staff have no clue how to handle the crowds. Lines are very long and the airport doesn't have the capacity to service this number of flights. It seems for the managers increasing the number of flights is more important than the quality of the service. The picture is the passport check at the arrivals.
Date VisitJune 2017

"utter chaos inside"

Verified Review | Arrived at Vancouver after a good flight from UK to be informed that all transit passengers would have to collect thier own luggage and check in again for their onward journey. I had 2 hours and 35 minutes before my next flight to Calgary, plenty of time, I thought. After disemabarking from my flight we were faced with total and utter chaos inside the airport, in fact it was more akin to a cattle market. In my 40 years of world travel and visiting both large and small airports, this was my worst experience at any time, anywhere. All the "assistants" were young girls who were far to busy on their intercom phones to talk with anyone, they just pointed where we all had to go. It was some 1 hour and 45 minutes later that I managed to get into the main hall (downstairs) to retrieve my luggage. I was then informed that I had to go through security before I could check in for my onward journey to Calgary. This I have never ever known before and there was now only 50 minutes before my next flight. Of course there was yet another long queue for the security. Many travellers (some quite older people) were trying to ask the young staff if they would miss there onward flight, their reply was always the same "there is nothing we can do, just keep in the queue". There was nowhere for these older people to sit and rest and most were just being pushed along, this was not a nice thing to see. Eventually, near the end of the queue I could see that the Immigration officers were sitting and there was not a single person in the queue? I just could not see why we were queuing at all until, I saw some machines. These machines were now quiet obviously the issue that was causing all the chaos. Thousands of people and only a few machines to service all passengers, and of course it was very plain to see that most passengers were having issues in working these machines and there was not one member of airport staff to assist anywhere to be seen. I finally reached the machines, in fact they are now the declaration machines. I am very competent with computers and I could see why people were now having issues. There was one question at a time on the screen and right at the very bottom it says continue, most did not see this were just looking around the screen and looking for some help. Alas, there was no forthcoming save from the odd passenger, myself included who showed them how these machines operated. There were no clear instructions anywhere. Disguting design in my opinion. Eventully I filled in the declaration and form the machine I recieved a ticket. I then rushed to the nearest Immigration officer as I had 10 minutes left to check in and get to the boarding gate. The officer just looked at my passport and said have a good holiday and let me through very quickly. I then look at three different boards for my Flight number and boarding gate. It is only now that I am beggining to feel totally frustrated at the lack of staff around to assist. I went from one end of the check in right down to the other end and there was no check in for Air Transat to be found. Now with only 5 minutes left before my flight it was due to another passenger who waved at me and showed me where the check in was. It was tucked away right at the very end hidden around a corner. I just made my flight, others unfortunately did not. I shall never fly to this airport again.The whole experience and the way passengers were treated was utterly disguting.
Date VisitMay 2017