Top 100 Airlines

Vancouver Airport

"a smooth departure"

(China)

Vancouver Airport is busy but check-in and security lines are smooth. Airport has large shopping facilities to cater for a large contingency of Chinese shoppers. Resting space is adequate and I used the Plaza Premium lounge. Easy transportation to airport via the train from downtown. It was a smooth departure.
Date VisitMay 2016

"signage is perfect"

(New Caledonia)

This airport is clean, bright and very welcoming with the traditional first nations art installed everywhere through the arrival and departure terminals. You feel like taking pictures everywhere to save these wonderful sculptures and artworks as souvenirs of your travels. The signage is perfect, and I had no queue at all getting to the immigration.

"clean and easy airport"

(New Caledonia)

Clean and easy airport, with some traditional sculptures to welcome you to this part of the world. Strong and efficient Wi-Fi, and many shops, cafés and bars to spend extra time in if you have some. The observation area is a good place to watch the planes or wait for friend/family members flight to take off or land. Once you are in the security zone, you will find many comfortable benches and some power outlets to charge your electronic device.

"took over an hour"

It took over an hour to drive through just to pay and exit parking lot. This is the worst parking lot experience I have encountered. One attendent on for 40-50 cars in a line - get an automated system. The airports charge an arm and a leg to use this airport.

"facilities are clean"

YVR is a modern and beautiful airport. As a new Vancouver resident, I tend to fly domestic and international on a regular basis and have experienced the airport more frequently than vast majority of others. 1) Domestic flights are conveniently set up with security often taking no longer than 5 to 10 minutes. I hold a Nexus card to which I almost never take advantage of in YVR contrary to other North American hubs. I often arrive at the airport 30 to 40 minutes prior to departure and find my seat with paperless check-in/boarding pass with 15 minutes to spare. 2) Flying to the US is rarely a problem. On one occasion, I found the line up to take more than 30 minutes in standard line ups. Again, having a Nexus card makes my US experience far easier than most. 3) WIFI is free of charge making it easy for international connectors to take advantage of connecting with the world while awaiting their next connection. 4) Facilities are clean and staff generally helpful. Seldom have I found myself subject to inappropriate conditions or rude personnel. 5) Connection via "skytrain" to downtown Vancouver is a breeze. If you're heading to the airport from the city, the cost is about 4 to 5 dollars one way. Should you be leaving the airport to the city, it costs you 9 which I find extremely affordable. Especially when compared internationally to those in Europe where paying 15 to 20 euros are standard practice. All in all, this airport is far above average, especially for a North American hub. This isn't Hong Kong, or Tokyo. It will not blow you away with shopping opportunities or 5 star fine dining. But frankly, if you're at the airport to shop or eat luxurious meals, then you're really not the average traveler. For 90 percent of people, this is a 9/10 airport with good service and quick turnaround times.

"nice, open airport"

Vancouver is a nice and open airport, but I wish there were more food vendors in the airport. There's not that much variety in the selection (both pre and post security.) I do love how close the airport is to the new outlet mall and the fact that the Canada Line runs to the airport.
Date VisitDecember 2015

"frustration and panic"

My frustration with the airport is with customs and security. I am not sure if the airport has any controls over staffing of the aforementioned services but that is my complaint. We were delayed out of Scottsdale and so I was concerned about missing my connection to Victoria. I bolted out of the airplane and briskly walked down to customs. Lo and behold a service person was there to hand me a bright yellow card for my connection. Brilliant - I thought, finally the airport gets it. I walked around the corner to a queue of over 100 people with only one customs fellow handling us. It would have been quicker to use the self service customs checkers which by the way are a great idea. Finally the woman handing out the cards realized that there was a problem and magically three other customs personnel appeared. Where were they before? I got through the line with 40 minutes to go and madly made my way up to another level. Bang - right into another queue which was handling the security and screening. Only one lane was open so again more frustration and panic with the connection. Surely there must be more staff available because when I looked behind me, there were at least 60 or 70 people trying to make their connections. Got through OK and I sprinted down to C gate and made my plane with ten minutes to spare. We were delayed for 15 minutes waiting for other passengers to board because presumably they were in the security line. This is not the first time this has happened and I have missed connections before because of inadequate staffing. YVR - I am not interested in the West Coast feel with Bill Reid sculptures and seagulls flying around - staff the airport properly so we the passenger can make our connections in a timely manner.
Date VisitApril 2016

"issue is the baggage handling"

Arrived on CX838 from Hong Kong as usual on my return to Canada. Must have been a busy time of the year as passport check lines were long and I had to wait for over 30 minutes. The main issue is the baggage handling. After spending 45 minutes in the lines, I got through to see that my luggage hasn't been dispensed yet which is disappointing. This is not the first time this has happened to me. Pretty much every trip, I end up waiting for at least an hour. But overall, staff were really nice and welcoming. Looking forward to using the service again in December.
Date VisitJanuary 2016

"smooth, relaxing and predictable"

Flying from and into Vancouver (YVR) is so smooth, relaxing and predictable compared to other North American airports. There is a relaxed mood throughout the entire airport, nature features and relaxing sitting areas with great views of the sea and mountains by Vancouver. The airport itself has been well designed with a West Coast and first nations Canadian theme which is unique and makes this airport special compared to other bland/indistinguishable airports around the world.
Date VisitJanuary 2016

"difficult with a disability"

Although this airport is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful, it is also one of the most difficult for a person with a disability. I travel alone, and therefore need some help. I always request a wheelchair when making flight reservations, but when I arrive at the airport, and approach the airline staff they usually have to scurry around to actually find a wheelchair. Then the problem arises as to who will push it. Now I have travelled extensively in Europe, and every year to Puerto Vallarta, and there is always immediate help. Why do we not have dedicated staff for just this type of problem? I am more than willing to tip, as I am sure other travelers would be. Now returning from a trip. Another nightmare. Have been taken by wheelchair from the plane, I was deposited at baggage claim and left there. One very nice lady went looking for a skycap, and finally, several minutes later, returned with one. He loaded my bags, and then went running off returning some time later, with another passenger and bags. He then proceeded to push my chair, and pull the cart loaded with bags - no easy task. It appears there was no one else to help. There is not much point, in my opinion, to keep upgrading shopping, food selection, beautiful artwork etc, without first accommodating people who actually need more assistance. Not everyone can rush around and do everything for themselves, but believe me we all wish we could.
Date VisitJuly 2015