Vancouver Airport

"security on gate C is a nightmare"

Trip Verified | I love Vancouver airport. Also, It’s my home base. However, security on gate C is a nightmare pretty much all the time. There are only one or two lines open, while people in line waiting outside of the security room. Then, the staff takes pretty much anything that can they are not familiar with. Last time they took my screwdriver expended (length of the credit card), today they took my network cable crimping tool (couldn’t explain why). When I asked, they said I can go back and recheck. “Sir, you have two options: leave it here or recheck”. Mind you, I’ve been traveling with the tools all over Canada for many years and passed the security numerous times even thru the same airport. I would go and recheck my tools if I didn’t have to stay in the long line again. Quite upsetting to be honest with you.
Date VisitMay 2018

"there no assistance"

Trip Verified | This was the return from hell. I had requested wheelchair assistance, which I really needed. Dragging luggage around the airport was no help. Not only was there no assistance, no one knew anything, not the Royal Mounted Canadian Police nor any of the personnel assigned to help travelers. Boarding passes were never emailed to my phone because I had asked for assistance. My husband and I traipsed from one end of the huge building to the other and back again. I put our information into one of the kiosks and got luggage tags for the bags. However, we were on the wrong line to drop the luggage because we were following instructions that a clueless airline representative had given us. We went to the other end of the building once more and met with the Cathay Pacific representative. She refused to take the bags until 8pm. It was noon. I needed to charge my phone. There are stands—literally—with no seats and plugs on the floor, only one of which work, so I was bent in half trying to get the charger into the 110 volt receptacle. I wanted to tell my husband where I was and asked the first misinformation woman to keep an eye on the phone for a couple of minutes since he was sitting in the food court with the baggage. She refused and told me that people come to the airport to steal phones and chargers, so I was stuck guarding it for more than an hour. When we finally dropped off our bags, we needed to go through security with very aggressive officers who made us take off our shoes despite the fact that we are in our 70s, scanned and wiped down our canes, poked me in the front and back of the knee that had a replacement when I explained it would set off the sensor, and went through all our jewelry in the carry-on luggage. To add insult to injury, we denied a ride on several empty golf carts to our gate. Access to the toilets was closed off at the gate necessitating a walk of 1/4 mile to another rest room. No consideration was extended for us as elderly and disabled passengers.
Date VisitMay 2018

"terrible service"

Not Verified | Inefficient customs process. Only 5 officers for Canadian residents with 100's of people in the queue. 1hr+ then get out and wait for baggage for another hour. Carousel keeps stopping because it's full because everyone is delayed in customs! Air Canada baggage guy was not helpful. They need to have people removing bags so it will keep running. I have been to much larger airports (ie: Shanghai) who handle much more volume but are way faster thru customs/baggage. Get it together YVR and Air Canada - terrible service.
Date VisitApril 2018

"There were endless queues"

Trip Verified | My first time leaving Canada for the US and it has put me off ever flying through Canada to the US ever again. My experience here left me feeling like I was in the third world. There were endless queues that only ended in more queues. It took me just shy of two hours to get through security and customs. This airport needs to rethink their systems and procedures as they are a joke.
Date VisitApril 2018

"has lost site of two critical aspects"

Not Verified | This review is not specific to any one trip, it is an overall review on arrivals and bag claim. YVR for all it's impressive space and art has lost site of two critical aspects that no other airport in the world seems to have lost site of: 1). When you are asking people to walk incredible distances from gate arrivals to customs. 2). Often a 45 minute plus wait for baggage to arrive at baggage carousels is simply inexplicable. By the time you've cleared customs (30 min/ walk to custom, then clearance) you now have to stand around and wait ridiculous lengths of times. This doesn't happen in the busiest hubs in the World. Get rid of the art and décor - get practical, get people on with their final destination. Painful.
Date VisitFebruary 2018

"very long line not moving at all"

Not Verified | Air Canada flight 1831 on Dec 6, 2017. After checking our bags, we arrived at the security screening room where there was 1 screening lane open. The only travelers getting through were Nexus card holders. Waited over an hour with the very long line not moving at all. Attempted to call over the Manager that was standing at the back of the room but he wouldn't come and discuss the situation. The young man at the head of our line controlling the flow of Nexus passengers was downright rude. Blamed budget cuts on the delay. After several passengers started yelling out, they finally opened a second screening lane. Rude, inefficient and arrogant. Worst treatment of any airport anywhere.
Date VisitDecember 2017

"Completely out of control"

Not Verified | Air Canada flight 1830, Dec 20. Arrived at Customs which was crowded and getting filled quickly. Staff had failed to set up pathways properly - dead ends, shortcuts, lineups through the automated check out kiosks, so some passengers were shortcutting. Completely out of control. It was like they had never done this before. Thought this was a world class airport, but not the last 2 times I came through here.
Date VisitDecember 2017

"a great airport to travel through"

Not Verified | YVR is a great airport to travel through when departing and arriving. Lineups are short, staff are helpful and the airport features modern architecture with lots of art designed by local artists. The wifi at this airport is both fast and easy to connect to and terminal directions are simple and logical. The many services at this airport along with the incredible airport atmosphere makes this airport easy to recommend.
Date VisitAugust 2017

"Come on get the process figured out"

Trip Verified | I arrived on AC34 from Sydney Australia, 7.20am, Nov 30th. Then walked the up/down route to get to the Immigration/Customs clearance. I would think that someone could have designed this airport better, having to go Up/Down stairs (they have escalator too) instead of on one level! But this isn't the worst part. Immigration/Customs clearance with the new computer terminals, where they scan your passport then you need to line your face in a narrow scan on the screen but the camera is up higher than where you are looking, so fail! After that you spend at least 1 to 2 hrs snaking back and forth to see an agent, whoever looks after this process needs to visit Australia. Sydney Airport where they put through a higher numbers of passengers. It took me 3 mins in Sydney once I arrived at the Immigration/Customs clearance area. Come on get the process figured out.
Date VisitNovember 2017

"lots of seating and nice washroom facilities"

Trip Verified | I was flying out of Vancouver airport to Brisbane. My flight was scheduled to depart at 12.30am from gate D50. Unfortunately where gate D50 seemed to be located was in a far corner of the internationals terminal (You turned left immediately after the main security line). The only flights that were boarding in this area of the departures was the 2 Air Canada flights to Australia that night. There were no restaurants or bars nearby and the only shop that was open was a newsagent that also had a small 9 table area where a lady was serving either 'Red or White'. I did go for a glass of the red, as that was the only thing that was around. However, we did take a quick walk towards the main part of the international terminal once we got through security, which looked like there were a few more options that were still open at that time of night. It was about a 10 minute walk back to our gate so we didn't want to go too far. The terminal did have lots of seating and nice washroom facilities. I just wish we had a better gate number that was more central in the international terminal. If you do plan to enjoy yourself at this airport just give yourself lots of time in the case that you get assigned gate D50 for departure.
Date VisitNovember 2017