Airline of the Year

Vancouver Airport

"an unfriendly service"

Verified Review | I got to the security lines at Vancouver Airport around 8:15AM, while my boarding was scheduled for 8:20 AM. The screens were showing the estimated waiting time of 5-10 Minutes, so I was calm, 15 minutes the line kept proceeding very slowly, so I got nervous and went to the security staff and politely asked them if they could fast track me, since my boarding has already started. The response was:"Sir, I can't do that!" So here I am standing additional 10 minutes in the line and running like crazy till my gate as the last passenger! Staff of this airport is so unfriendly and unhelpful! It's such a shame! Please investigate. I have never experienced such an unfriendly service.
Date VisitMay 2017

"no lines at check-in nor at security"

Verified Review | I am not surprised at all that Vancouver airport has gotten awards for being the best airport in North America several times already. I had the pleasure to arrive, depart and transit through YVR while being on an almost around-the-world-trip. On the day I departed the airport was very quiet and there were no lines at check-in nor at security. I was especially impressed by the decoration in the departure lounge which resembles a nature park. By mistake I left my wallet on a waiting bench and forgot about it. When I was about to reach the Cathay lounge, I heard my name on the intercom and suddendly realized that my wallet was missing. As told I rushed to the nearest information desk but there was nobody on duty. So I went to the supervisor of security and explained him my situation. After a couple of phone call by his assistant and a short waiting-time of five minutes a smartly dressed concierge appeared with my wallet in his hands. I thanked him and told him that I am surprised that the wallet was not stolen. He simply replied that I should not worry here in Vancouver: "We are honest people." I assure you that I will be back again.
Date VisitApril 2017

"this is an excellent airport"

Verified Review | This is an excellent airport, from the quality of the people who work there, to the ease of movement about the place. We had no problems checking in for our flight to Florence. We had no problems on our return three weeks later from Zurich. Passport control and customs are well organized and we experienced no significant delays. Where possible, things like passport checks are done electronically, speeding things up. It is one of the best airports I have experienced. People are kind and knowledgeable. There is also a great deal of Northwest art in the airport, adding to the experience.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"they could do much better"

(Japan)

Verified Review | Vancouver airport is clean, beautiful, great seating, food, and has very friendly staff wandering about to help out. My one concern is the international and domestic security. I travel, worldwide, often. And, I come through YVR often. Almost every time, the security personnel are discourteous and unorganized. Today, the person directing us towards numbered lines was rude and her instructions were very unclear and scattered. There were many non English speaking people in line which were barked at by her and several others. Speaking loudly and rudely does not magically make things clear. It makes people uneasy and confused. English is my first language and I wasn't even sure what she, and others wanted, or why we were being spoken to that way. There was obvious animosity between 2 staff which caused a back up as one refused to step up to help us move along, SO unprofessional. I understand that security personnal have an important job to do, and they're not there to be best friends with us, but they could do much better. They can be organized, kind, friendly, firm, and clear all at the same time. Security, in many other airports manages to do it quite well. The security at YVR is consistently unprofessional. This does not put our minds at ease.
Date VisitApril 2017

"arrival logistics is atrocious"

Verified Review | Vancouver Airport arrival logistics past the customs clearance is atrocious. You have to navigate through the greeting area which is often a bottleneck of passengers with their luggage and greeters. Terrible planning for this area. Then if you are taking a shuttle to a hotel or parking after planeloads of arriving passengers, you are faced with masses of people crowding on a narrow sidewalk and the shuttle buses pulling up haphazardly beside the sidewalk. So there you are with your luggage, fighting your way through the crowd, and trying to find out when and where your shuttle is arriving. This trip my wife and I took to the pavement to find a place on the sidewalk to stand while we tried to watch for our bus. Terrible planning again. This is my home airport and find it stupid to spend so much money on artwork and not enough on the actual functioning of the airport for the passengers, particularly the arrival areas.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"Terrible food selection with very little choice"

At the American departures area. Terrible food selection with very little choice. Tried to get a meal such as take away sushi and was not available. Then tried to get a drink at the terrible Vancouver Canuck lounge and told it was a 20 min wait when at least 20 tables were visibly empty. Not given a choice to sit at the bar, just shuffled on. Not impressed. One of worst set of choices in a international departure area.
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"serious lack of vegan food"

Verified Review | Serious lack of vegan food! I like to take food on the plane because the airlines are forever mixing up the specialty meals and I find at least 50% of flights are unable to provide vegan food no matter how many times you confirm it. Considering the great food and plentiful options I've found around Vancouver and Whistler I was really shocked to discover that the only vegan options at the airport was hot chips or subway.
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"1.5 hours for luggage to arrive"

(New Zealand)

1.5 hours for luggage to arrive after 13 hour flight into Vancouver Airport. This was midday on Saturday. No plane problems apparently. Just not enough staff. This is really poor and annoyed us as we missed out on seeing something we really wanted to see. Departing domestic at quiet time the next day. Queues again. Put more staff on.
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"not what I expect from this facility"

Poor service! I had to wait 20 min in the plane for ground staff to arrive and then more than 30 min for the luggage. All of this at midnight with a 1 year old. I wonder if we can ask for our airport tax back? Certainly not what I expect from this facility.
Date VisitNovember 2016

"35 minutes before the first bags are dispensed"

Verified Review | Arriving on a domestic flight from Calgary. Once again, pleasant experience on arrival as YVR is generally very easy to navigate. The reason I scored this experience a 6/10 is because the trauma baggage claim at YVR has caused me. No matter where I arrive from, with Priority Baggage Handling or not, I always find myself waiting for at least 35 minutes before the first bags are dispensed. I try not to check bags if I have to fly into/via YVR but for a lot of my trips, I can't really avoid it. Airport was really peaceful upon arrival, with a number of restaurants to choose from on the departures level. As a whole, baggage claim was the complete bummer, but everything else is expected and good as per usual.
Date VisitNovember 2016