Top 100 Airports

Thessaloniki Airport

"security was confusing"

Arrived at Thessaloniki Airport and after I got my boarding pass I had to take my luggage to another counter to check my bag manually. I went through security which was confusing but the worst aspect was the gates. The gate numbers were all muddled up and had not been updated for 3-hours - lots of confused passengers.
Date VisitJune 2016

"passport control is quick"

(Serbia)

I used this airport outside the peak summer season but it seemed rather nice. It's a small airport, it's funny how they have a bus take you from the gate to the airplane and the ride takes about 10 seconds. The airport seemed to make sense without any unnecessary corridors, it was all right there. I can only imagine that the size of the building may be a problem during summer. Shopping is limited but quite good, it's a duty free shop that sells most things an average person would buy at the airport - small luxury goods, nicely packed sweets, perfumes, drinks and not super expensive coats and bags like at some western airports. There are also a few bakeries. The intra-Schengen flights may have more limited shopping options. Passport control is quick. Queues at the check-in are a bit of a problem on full flights. Getting to the airport is easy, bus 78 costs only 2 euros in one direction and takes about 30-40 minutes to the city centre. Toilets should be refurbished and overall the airport feels a bit dated so it could use a new coat of paint. There is also a limitless free Wi-Fi available which is amazing.
Date VisitOctober 2015

"dark, unfriendly, a little filthy"

Thessaloniki Airport is not in good shape. The building is much too small for the number of passengers. The lines were quite long (which would be OK). We had to check in and weigh our luggage at a counter, but needed to drop off the luggage at another counter (why bother wheighing the stuff if you can change the content of the suitcases in between check in and drop off?). There was only one counter to drop off your luggage (for the whole airport) with a very long line. The seating area before customs is dark, unfriendly, a little filthy and has poor acoustics and poor speakers for announcements. Toilets were disgusting (sorry to say). Security check was rather badly organized. The waiting area behind the security check is a disgrace. It is dark, filthy, much too small / crowded, many computer screens do not work or have been removed. The announcements were a joke because the speakers were soo bad that you could hardly recognize the language they were speaking. In case of an emergency / a mass panic, many people could die in this airport, as it does not have enough open spaces and the passenger guidance system is rather non-existent
Date VisitSeptember 2015

"a dark disorganized mess inside"

Thessaloniki airport has the dirtiest airport toilets I've ever seen. The aesthetics of the terminal: a dark old fashioned cube outside, a dark disorganized mess inside. Being quite far from downtown, expect to pay between 25 and 30 euros by taxi (I paid 33 from the bus station) unless you take the convenient city bus 78 wich only costs 2 euros. To sum up, this airport is gloomy, disorganized and dirty. Let's hope future fresh developments for this infrastructure.
Date VisitSeptember 2015

Thessaloniki Airport customer review

I have travelled all over the world, from Siberia to the Pacific and I have never witnessed a worse airport than Thessaloniki. Firstly, its a long way out of the city. We used a fixed price taxi, which cost 15 Euro, but it will easily be 25 to 30 Euros from the city centre. On arrival we were met with a Departure Board, that only showed a handful of flights. We had to dodge lines to eventually find where we needed to check in. I am just thankful we arrived early. We stood for 30 minutes on what was a short line of people (clerk was simply slow), to find that we could only weigh the luggage and get the tags and that we had to drop off the suitcases at another part of the airport. No signs anywhere to show you where drop off was. The Terminal is small, and lines so long, we had to fight to through lines of people to find the bag drop. Once there, we had another 40 minute wait and a line that snaked around half the airport, just to drop off the bag. Crazy! Next another 30 minute queue to go through security. Rude staff and poor organisation sum up this experience. As we were flying to a non Schengen country, we had to use a small lounge on the other side of passport control, which was so full we had to stand. The toilets were disgusting and the only shop was a coffee bar, whose young employee was on a go slow. To reach the aircraft you have to use stairs and buses. Our bus stopped half way and we were left stranded for 15 minutes on the tarmac in 36c heat. Overall this is a poor airport, that is dysfunctional in every way. I will never use it again.
Date VisitJuly 2015

Thessaloniki Airport customer review

I am disabled use a wheelchair and have never had any problems here. Far from it I use a wheelchair and the pushers always leave me with my boyfriend as much as possible I have been to many airports world-wide and sure this is a basic airport and could be made posher but the restaurant is OK.

Thessaloniki Airport customer review

I visited the airport two months ago. The seating area was in a appalling condition. Rubbish was everywhere on the small tables. I tried to connect to the wifi but it is was not working apparently. When I asked a member of the staff I was told that I will have to go and stand by the windows and only then there were might be a remote chance to get connected to it. Most screens showing the flights gates were not in a good working condition too.

(Greece)

Clean - Could have more flights. Easy access to downtown. Security queuing could be ameliorated. Very good WiFi - Very good selection of food.

Thessaloniki Airport customer review

I read the reviews on this site before visiting the Thessaloniki airport and so had pretty low expectations for it. I have to say that those expectations were exceeded in pretty much every respect. Of course it is a small airport but signage is adequate for an English-only speaker and between those and help from the staff I found nothing confusing chaotic etc. I have not been during midday but during morning and evening in April it is very easy to navigate and I am submitting this on the airport's wireless network which I have had no problems with. The only things I've encountered that could be better are that you can only check your baggage a maximum of 2 hours before your flight and that the taxi service to/from the airport is a bit expensive (~25 Euros to warehouse district) and can be kind of slow when traffic is bad since it is not at all near the city centre.

Thessaloniki Airport customer review

I have been using this airport for about 10 years now. It has changed dramatically over the years. During its peak with SwissPort there was a very good customer service plenty of flights and direct connections to major European destinations. In the last year though things have started going backwards. The customer service has gone down visibly people wise. Staff experience seems to be an issue. Also now you get hassle checking in your bags. After the luggage has been weighed you have to take it to a different location within the airport to drop off. Arrivals screens don't display flight numbers there are no longer direct flights to almost anywhere outside of Greece and when you arrive you don't know where to pick up your luggage from as the screens above the conveyor belts don't work. Luggage trolleys are also hard to find. Staff seem indifferent to the problems. Sadly there is still a bus and a lot of stairs involved in boarding and coming off your flight and once again airport staff are not prepared to help. Somehow airport facilities issues seem to be the user's problems. It is a shame as this could be a major obstacle to the city developing its tourist industry and brand. Sadly what you see at the airport on arrival is your first impression of the city.