Thessaloniki Airport

Review by (United Kingdom)

I have travelled all over the world, from Siberia to the Pacific and I have never witnessed a worse airport than Thessaloniki. Firstly, its a long way out of the city. We used a fixed price taxi, which cost 15 Euro, but it will easily be 25 to 30 Euros from the city centre. On arrival we were met with a Departure Board, that only showed a handful of flights. We had to dodge lines to eventually find where we needed to check in. I am just thankful we arrived early. We stood for 30 minutes on what was a short line of people (clerk was simply slow), to find that we could only weigh the luggage and get the tags and that we had to drop off the suitcases at another part of the airport. No signs anywhere to show you where drop off was. The Terminal is small, and lines so long, we had to fight to through lines of people to find the bag drop. Once there, we had another 40 minute wait and a line that snaked around half the airport, just to drop off the bag. Crazy! Next another 30 minute queue to go through security. Rude staff and poor organisation sum up this experience. As we were flying to a non Schengen country, we had to use a small lounge on the other side of passport control, which was so full we had to stand. The toilets were disgusting and the only shop was a coffee bar, whose young employee was on a go slow. To reach the aircraft you have to use stairs and buses. Our bus stopped half way and we were left stranded for 15 minutes on the tarmac in 36c heat. Overall this is a poor airport, that is dysfunctional in every way. I will never use it again.
Date Visit29-07-2015

Review by (United Kingdom)

I am disabled use a wheelchair and have never had any problems here. Far from it I use a wheelchair and the pushers always leave me with my boyfriend as much as possible I have been to many airports world-wide and sure this is a basic airport and could be made posher but the restaurant is OK.

Review by (United Kingdom)

I visited the airport two months ago. The seating area was in a appalling condition. Rubbish was everywhere on the small tables. I tried to connect to the wifi but it is was not working apparently. When I asked a member of the staff I was told that I will have to go and stand by the windows and only then there were might be a remote chance to get connected to it. Most screens showing the flights gates were not in a good working condition too.

Review by (Greece)

Clean - Could have more flights. Easy access to downtown. Security queuing could be ameliorated. Very good WiFi - Very good selection of food.

Thessaloniki Airport customer review

Review by (United States)

I read the reviews on this site before visiting the Thessaloniki airport and so had pretty low expectations for it. I have to say that those expectations were exceeded in pretty much every respect. Of course it is a small airport but signage is adequate for an English-only speaker and between those and help from the staff I found nothing confusing chaotic etc. I have not been during midday but during morning and evening in April it is very easy to navigate and I am submitting this on the airport's wireless network which I have had no problems with. The only things I've encountered that could be better are that you can only check your baggage a maximum of 2 hours before your flight and that the taxi service to/from the airport is a bit expensive (~25 Euros to warehouse district) and can be kind of slow when traffic is bad since it is not at all near the city centre.

Review by (United Kingdom)

I have been using this airport for about 10 years now. It has changed dramatically over the years. During its peak with SwissPort there was a very good customer service plenty of flights and direct connections to major European destinations. In the last year though things have started going backwards. The customer service has gone down visibly people wise. Staff experience seems to be an issue. Also now you get hassle checking in your bags. After the luggage has been weighed you have to take it to a different location within the airport to drop off. Arrivals screens don't display flight numbers there are no longer direct flights to almost anywhere outside of Greece and when you arrive you don't know where to pick up your luggage from as the screens above the conveyor belts don't work. Luggage trolleys are also hard to find. Staff seem indifferent to the problems. Sadly there is still a bus and a lot of stairs involved in boarding and coming off your flight and once again airport staff are not prepared to help. Somehow airport facilities issues seem to be the user's problems. It is a shame as this could be a major obstacle to the city developing its tourist industry and brand. Sadly what you see at the airport on arrival is your first impression of the city.

Review by (France)

Transited through SKG from Athens en-route to CDG. As an experienced traveler this airport has to be the most disorganized one I have ever seen. In order to check in you have to put your bag on the counter afterwards you have to take it again (as this is only done to check the weight) and leave it on another drop- off counter; there were only three of those drop-off areas for 20 counters in total so I let you imagine what it looked like with nearly all of them being used. Airport facilities are dire no exchange desk poor restaurant services very rude security agents illegible FIDS screens everything badly indicated including the flight gate. All this was pretty reminiscent of the old Athens Hellinikon airport (definitely not a compliment for those who remember it). And the whole airport hasn't changed at all since my last visit in 2010!

Review by

Thessaloniki is Greece's second city and an expanding a business and tourist city centre in its own right. With the Metro being built its potential will increase. But the airport - which is being expanded is really not geared to tourists and though above the standard of other Greek airports is inferior to what it needs to be particularly when compared to Athens. Public transport information is non-existant - the tourist office is shut most of the time and has no bus maps (Thessloniki only has buses for transport at the moment): the bus stop has most information in Greek (fine for me but for German and British travellers?). The runway is being expanded to take long haul aircraft and a new terminal is being constructed but the airport has to think it terms of being a hub with clear information if it is to compete for tourists + business travellers with Athens or Istanbul.

Review by

Airport much too small to handle size of tourist traffic and lack of flights means that business users have difficult and expensive connections usually in Germany. Long lines poor food services poor shopping. Need to get the infrastructure in SKG right or Halkidiki tourism and business in Thessaloniki will suffer.

Review by

Arrival into Thessaloniki is very good. We were quickly deplaned and went straight through immigration into baggage reclaim where our bags had arrived before we did. However when departing Thessaloniki it was a nightmare! The queue for check-in was very slow moving then we had to go to a separate desk to have our bag scanned. The duty free shop isn't worth time looking at. The new terminal that they are going to build can't come soon enough as the current terminal really lets the region of Halkidiki down.