Tampa Airport

"it used to be a great experience"

Trip Verified | I have been flying in and out of Tampa for years and it used to be a great experience. The checking in and screening process are better than at most airports I know. One of the features of the airport I always enjoyed, was the availability of good restaurants, both in the terminal, before screening, and at the gate area. Last year the airport started to "remodel" the terminal and all of these nice restaurants were gone. I figured they would be back after the construction was over, but not only are they still doing construction a year later, the nice restaurants are gone, even in the gate area, and all they now offer is Chinese and fast food. They destroyed the whole pre-boarding experience, especially since you have to come to the airport early for your flight. The only place you can get a decent meal now, is in the airport hotel Marriott restaurant.
Date VisitJanuary 2018

"stress-free environment"

Best airport we have been to. Stress-free environment, easy to maneuver, people are friendly and helpful. Lots of seating, clean, quiet. Very smart of Tampa to put smoking areas after security checkpoints. Smokers can go through security early, find their gates and go for a smoke instead of waiting until the last minute to try and get through security. It also alleviates stress and irritable passengers if flights are delayed, etc. It is such a simple solution to create a win-win for smokers, non-smokers, and employees alike. It does not affect non-smokers at all, and instead creates a calmer environment. Good for you Tampa.
Date VisitApril 2016

"clean and good variety of shops"

BA2166, Tampa International - London Gatwick, Monday 16 November. Been quite a few years since I last used this airport - no queues at BA check in and through security in 5 minutes. Clean and good variety of shops and eateries landside. Looked ok airside but did not shop as used the International Lounge for BA customers. This was a disappointment - comfortable seats but food selection dreadful - a few curled up sandwiches that were not replenished and a few crackers and pieces of cheese with dips. Poor choice of wine. Not acceptable, Tampa, but from what I read no different from other North American Lounges. Apart from the lounge will use Tampa again certainly better than Miami, Washington Dulles, Newark, Chicago etc.
Date VisitNovember 2015

"lack of any compassion"

Tampa International is a great airport and we have travel on a yearly basis from the UK. Now we have a small child we have noticed that there is a lack of any compassion when going through security to get to our gate. We were not offered a expedited queue even thought we had a lot of baggage and had a distressed child (2 years). There were three security lines two for those in economy and one for first class whilst we were waiting in line for nearly 20 minutes (not that bad I know but its different with children). Families need extra time to get all the food out ready and additionally my wife was chosen for an invasive pat down. The priority queue only saw a max of 8 passengers with staff looking around but noticing our frustrations. Hope this changes as we won't be back again unless Tampa is truly a family airport, it is not at current.
Date VisitOctober 2015

"well maintained and clean airport"

Well maintained and clean airport. Going thru security check and baggage claim is fast and easy. Signage is clear and easy to use. They have many in terminal rental cars companies. Restaurants are decent.
Date VisitJuly 2015

"a well designed airport"

Tampa Airport is a well designed airport. The circular design made it easy to pass through the TSA checks, and for an easy trip to the departure gates. After a month traveling through Reagan, Dulles, O'Hare, and MSP, it turned out to be a pleasant surprise. Well maintained, and signage was in abundance. The rental car areas were close, and well marked. A less stressfull airport environment.
Date VisitSeptember 2015

Tampa Airport customer review

I have flown in and out of TPA for the last 10 yrs. No questions it is a superb airport to travel through. I will continue to use it as my airport of choice with no problem. With respect to the gentleman in Feb 2015 who was looking for an easy way to pick up his wife use the car park they don't charge for the first hour!

Tampa Airport customer review

The picking up of arriving passengers has severely degraded over the years. You'd think after years of inefficiency that they could come up with a solution. I didn't use to have to park or drive around in circles for five or ten minutes to pick up my wife. Lighting for driving in circles sucks for me also because of poor lighting for a senior and confusing outdated signs. Don't even get me started on airport security. I gave up flying years ago. Last time I went quite a while back I wore a t-shirt shorts (no belt) and sandals with no luggage or carry on and still had to endure the long lines and wait. Why does someone like that have to wait behind a women with a huge loaded purse and a carry on. Where's the express lane? I'd rather drive a car.

Tampa Airport customer review

Not a large airport which is a good thing. Staff seem friendly and efficient. They were getting people through immigration pretty quickly although I was held for about 30-45 mins because of some problem with my fingerprints but I guess this doesn't always happen. Catch the shuttle to the terminal and the car rental offices are just a short walk away - we were soon heading south on I-275. Two things to note - not many shops airside and Club Lounge is not very big. Would thoroughly recommend as gateway airport.

Tampa Airport customer review

After coming to the US some 30 or 40 times we decided to use Tampa as our start off point having tried Boston JFK Washington Philly and Atlanta. What a pleasant surprise the immigration staff were pleasant and even used my first name when asking how long we were staying. Being new to the airport we asked directions from the Customs staff and they were very helpful. The airport is not as overcrowded as most and works quickly and efficiently with limited waiting times. We will use Tampa as a gateway again.