Stockholm Arlanda Airport

"the lady behind the counter totally ignored me"

Verified Review | Lovely and quiet and on first impressions a nice modern clean lounge. Went up to the desk, then stood and stood and stood, whilst the lady behind the counter totally ignored me. After 30 seconds my blood was boiling. She looked at me like I'd just run her pet over in the car, and managed a quiet hello. I couldn't locate my lounge access card so asked her if she could access through my app (which I knew she could) her reply? 'I don't know,' followed by more of the indolent stare like I'd ruined her day. I then spent 5 minutes sifting through my bag on the floor to locate my card. This was then taken off me very gingerly by Miss happy to help in a pair of gloves. Now I get food handlers using them, but if she's that worried about being contaminated by a customer I think she may be in the wrong job. By the time I'm in the lounge I'm literally seething at her attitude and manner. I have yet in many many years of international travel to encounter a more ghastly individual with a level of customer service akin to a prison warden. The lounge was lovely, quiet and well appointed, but who uses people like this as a welcome and first impression? Is a smile and a non surgical gloved hand asking too much? Not in the rest of the planet from my experience. How do bad pennies like this slip through the customer service net? I'm still angry 45 minutes later!
Date VisitJuly 2017

"very busy and seemed understaffed"

Verified Review | I arrived at Arlanda three and a half hours before my flight was scheduled to leave. People were already queuing at the designated check in desks. The 4 indicated desks were to check in passengers on 2 Monarch flights, one to Birmingham and one to Manchester half an hour later. Some passengers were standing in the queue for well over an hour before staff arrived about 2 hours before the Manchester flight was due to depart. Only 3 desks were opened. It was slow progress and no apology was made to us for the delay. We then moved on to security check which was very busy and seemed understaffed. We moved on to passport control and there was a very long queue for this. Again it seemed to be understaffed. Many other travellers were getting very anxious that they would not get through in time for their flights. Calls on the intercom were being made requesting passengers to go to their gates which were about to close but many of them were still in the long queue at passport control. Security staff gathered and observed but did nothing to alleviate the situation. Passengers were trying to jump the queue in order to get to their flights but those near the front of the queue were themselves within minutes of missing their flights. It was chaotic and tempers were frayed. We did manage to get our flight but we did not manage to get time to have a coffee before departing. Furthermore, while I am reasonably fit, I was uncomfortable with having to stand in queues for over 3 hours. It was a trial for anyone with children, disabilities, women who were perhaps pregnant, or the elderly. No apology was made at all for this unacceptable treatment.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"an embarrassment to Sweden"

Verified Review | I'm currently waiting for my flight to Chicago, transiting in Stockholm Arlanda between Brussels and Chicago O'Hare. I was looking forward to my long (over 4-hour) layover here. Everything in this airport involves a long line and waiting, though. Wait to deplane, Wait for the bus to the terminal. Wait for security. Wait for passport control. Signage is poor. I'm gulping down a well-earned beer before rushing to my gate. Arlanda, you're an embarrassment to Sweden.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"long lines, unfriendly staff"

(Denmark)

Unverified | An extremely long walk from one terminal to the other. And then long lines, unfriendly staff, and extremely expensive food even for Sweden - capitalism at its worst in a place where you can't choose to go somewhere else - paid 83 sek for at low quality falafel wrap!
Date VisitJune 2017

"clean, tidy and well looked after"

Transited through from within Sweden (landing in T4) to Norway (T5) and found the queue at security into Terminal 5 terrible with 15+ of waiting before getting to the scanning. Signs between terminals not always clear and as the Security Queue was so long it was difficult to work out where you needed to stand. Airside there is a good selection of shops and eating places and the terminals are clean, tidy and well looked after. Separately departing from T5 early in the morning spent 30 minutes in the Security Queue which covered the whole of the SAS part of the terminal - there is clearly not enough capacity for the number of people/flights using the airport both early in the morning and in the evening. The length of queues becomes an issues as it "hides" Check-in desks and other activities and people end up joining the queue thinking it is to drop off bags! Once airside things are OK but the stress and time spent queuing do make for a pleasant experience.
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"terminal 2 was a terrible experience"

(Czech Republic)

Arlanda terminal 2 was a terrible experience. Long waiting lines, disorganised terminal (checks in on one side, arivals in middle and another check in at the other end). The security check had a very long waiting line but at least had friendly staff, but after this the airport had almost nowhere to sit. However, the terminal was nice and clean. Overall a poor visit to Arlanda.
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"an excellent airport"

Absolutely fantastic. It is such a good airport with all of the required facilities that an airport requires (and more). An amazing lounge courtesy of SAS and the staff are all very friendly apart from one woman who was sat at border countrol. Very unpleasant and looked as though she would rather have been anywhere else. All in all an excellent airport.
Date VisitOctober 2016

"signs at Arlanda Airport are terribly bad"

(Sweden)

I departed from terminal 5 and parked in parking house P53. I landed late at night at terminal 2 and getting from there to P53 was impossible. I followed the signs to terminal 5, after walking 10 minutes I follow the signs towards the parking area. But no numbers, just "P". The signs lead me outdoors to a snowstorm and after a while I could tell it was the wrong parking area. I go back cold and dirty and try to find signs to P53, but I can't find them. The signs at Arlanda Airport are terribly bad. Have they never been tested? At every terminal there should be signs to every parking area, outdoors, indoors, but there is not. Getting from terminal 2 to terminal 5 parking area took about 30 minutes. The shape of the airport is also ridiculous.
Date VisitNovember 2016

"smooth process with most airlines"

(Sweden)

This is my home airport. What I really like about Arlanda is the smooth process with most airlines. Usually I can be at the gate 20 minutes after arriving at the airport, and that is as an economy passenger. The security check is almost never more than 10 minutes wait. The gates are a short distance. Oneworld airlines at the small terminal two benefit from quick baggage handling. Never had a major delay from Arlanda. On my last flight (12 Sep 2016) with transfer in Helsinki, my luggage was lost. The arrival service was very effective and delivered the bag to my home address on the next day at a time of my choosing.
Date VisitSeptember 2016

"T5 to T2 requires significant time and effort"

(Denmark)

Stockholm Arlanda is by far the worst airport in the Nordic capitals, it wasn't always the case. The crazy shape of the airport means that changing from Terminal 5 to Terminal 2 requires significant investment in time and effort, if you walk. But wait, you can call a bus on demand. That's right, transferring from Terminal 5 to Terminal 2 is a piece of cake, you just go down two flights of stairs to a basement labelled Gate 9 and press a call button that will send a bus and a driver, within 10 mins (reckon with 30 mins). Whoever heard of such a system? What nonsense! Why not tell passengers to report to Gate 61 instead of confusing them by sending them to Gate 9 and pressing a call button? Never have I seen such a system before in any airport in the world, just mad. But not to worry, once you have inevitably missed your flight, you can buy a snack, say at a hamburger and a beer for USD 40? Arlanda is really the worst advertising for tourism to Sweden that there is, and its really no wonder that everyone that works there is unfriendly, bordering on rude, it is probably as bad a work environment as it is for its travelling customers.
Date VisitAugust 2016