Stockholm Arlanda Airport

"They refused to wear gloves"

(Denmark)

Not Verified | I have a knee prosthesis. So everywhere I go, I get special attention in security check. In some airports (such as CPH), they have machines which shows the critical areas, so that only my knee is searched. In most airports, I have to go through a full body search. The person who performs that would wear gloves. But not in Arlanda. They refused to wear gloves, so I had sweaty hands all over me. That was a disgusting experience.

"Absolute nightmare"

(Finland)

Not Verified | Absolute nightmare. 2 hours was not enough during off peak hours to get luggage out and check for connecting flight. The whole family had to book hotel and new flight since they were two different airlines and getting bags took forever. Never again via Stockholm Arlanda Airport.
Date VisitJanuary 2018

"unprofessional security and service staff"

Trip Verified | Nice looking shopping mall, but with its grotesquely unprofessional security and service staff not a good airport. Nobody really seems to know what they’re doing. Minimum wages may have some effect here. Security calls slightly annoyed passengers names or changes them with having "an attitude". But maybe that is because the badly paid security ladies do not have one at all.

"expect delays, confusion"

Not Verified | Awful airport!!! If you’re looking to connect to another destination, connect through another airport. We had a 4 hour layover and barely made it in time to our flight. Airport staff are not helpful and it took forever to have a custom slip stamped. The airport is awfully designed and we walked for what seemed like miles to our gate, through a ton of checkpoints, and after a while it felt like harassment. I’m a U.S. citizen traveling with my husband and 3 young children and we were stopped and questioned numerous times. We were repeatedly told it was because we were “from the U.S.” If you’re from the U.S., expect delays, confusion, rude airport staff, and being searched and questioned repeatedly.
Date VisitDecember 2017

"signage and layout are terrible"

Trip Verified | One of the most disorganized airports my family has ever had to experience. My wife and three children had a four hour layover and 2 out of 3 customs offices were closed and I had to wander to get a form stamped. At the Kiosk I was flagged for additional security procedures but my wife, 10 year old son, and two 6 year olds were not. I was told it was because I was a US citizen traveling to the US. First I was questioned, then pulled aside at the baggage area for additional checks, then I was placed in an “Pen like” area with my family with one place to eat, and finally prior to boarding I was questioned again (again having to unpack my bags). The agent looked like she was 15 years old and I fully cooperated. After finally boarding, I saw about every male US citizen age 30 to 50 being screened which delayed our flight about a 1+ hours. Bottom line: If you have a connection in the states, don’t enjoy long lines and poor service, and have tired young children, avoid this airport at all costs. Airport signage and layout are terrible.
Date VisitDecember 2017

"Large and ridiculously expensive airport"

Large and ridiculously expensive airport. No smoking lounge once you pass security on in terminal 4, however they have them in terminal five. Be aware, the bar in terminal 4's departure area does not take cash, only cards - could be because it costs $10 a pint. For airport transfers we used Door to Gate, fair price and efficient. The only problem is you have to check in on line and the airport only gives you 100 MB free WiFi, not much after your phone downloads all your Facebook and Whatapp messages.
Date VisitNovember 2017

"don't cater for gluten free customers"

(Finland)

Unverified | I have travelled through Arlanda Airport a few times on my way to European destinations from Finland. I find it quite puzzling and really embarrasing for the airport that the restaurants, cafes etc don't really have anything to gluten free customers. In July there were two ladies hired to help customers inside the airport and they had no idea whether any of the restaurants had anything gluten free. Last week I spent two hours on Sunday and three hours on Friday at Arlanda while waiting for my transfer and have to say that the restaurants and cafes really don't have any gluten free bread rolls, warm dishes etc that are quite easily available for example at UK airports and at Helsinki airport. The food market has bread which they will toast after a long wait and serve with a slice of ham but they don't even have butter on the bread. Puzzling! I don't understand why the restaurants don't cater for gluten free customers. I think it is just bad service. I'd rather not transfer through Arlanda in the future because of this.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"it works really well, fast and reliable"

(Sweden)

Verified Review | This is my home airport, and I have spent too much time here in the last ten years of business travels. In general it works really well, fast and reliable. It is easy to navigate, you do not have to walk much, and people working there are fine, even if not always the most friendly. But they are fair. Bathrooms could be a bit improved, but that is mainly everything in my opinion. Food and drinks are incredibly expensive, but not far from Stockholm prices. The only issue is for those that need to change to an internal flight, as they need to clear customs, than walk quite a lot to another terminal and do security again. I think they need to find a way to connect these two areas from inside. Looking at the status of many airports around the world, using this one as my home destination makes life much easier.
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"the lady behind the counter totally ignored me"

Verified Review | Lovely and quiet and on first impressions a nice modern clean lounge. Went up to the desk, then stood and stood and stood, whilst the lady behind the counter totally ignored me. After 30 seconds my blood was boiling. She looked at me like I'd just run her pet over in the car, and managed a quiet hello. I couldn't locate my lounge access card so asked her if she could access through my app (which I knew she could) her reply? 'I don't know,' followed by more of the indolent stare like I'd ruined her day. I then spent 5 minutes sifting through my bag on the floor to locate my card. This was then taken off me very gingerly by Miss happy to help in a pair of gloves. Now I get food handlers using them, but if she's that worried about being contaminated by a customer I think she may be in the wrong job. By the time I'm in the lounge I'm literally seething at her attitude and manner. I have yet in many many years of international travel to encounter a more ghastly individual with a level of customer service akin to a prison warden. The lounge was lovely, quiet and well appointed, but who uses people like this as a welcome and first impression? Is a smile and a non surgical gloved hand asking too much? Not in the rest of the planet from my experience. How do bad pennies like this slip through the customer service net? I'm still angry 45 minutes later!
Date VisitJuly 2017

"very busy and seemed understaffed"

Verified Review | I arrived at Arlanda three and a half hours before my flight was scheduled to leave. People were already queuing at the designated check in desks. The 4 indicated desks were to check in passengers on 2 Monarch flights, one to Birmingham and one to Manchester half an hour later. Some passengers were standing in the queue for well over an hour before staff arrived about 2 hours before the Manchester flight was due to depart. Only 3 desks were opened. It was slow progress and no apology was made to us for the delay. We then moved on to security check which was very busy and seemed understaffed. We moved on to passport control and there was a very long queue for this. Again it seemed to be understaffed. Many other travellers were getting very anxious that they would not get through in time for their flights. Calls on the intercom were being made requesting passengers to go to their gates which were about to close but many of them were still in the long queue at passport control. Security staff gathered and observed but did nothing to alleviate the situation. Passengers were trying to jump the queue in order to get to their flights but those near the front of the queue were themselves within minutes of missing their flights. It was chaotic and tempers were frayed. We did manage to get our flight but we did not manage to get time to have a coffee before departing. Furthermore, while I am reasonably fit, I was uncomfortable with having to stand in queues for over 3 hours. It was a trial for anyone with children, disabilities, women who were perhaps pregnant, or the elderly. No apology was made at all for this unacceptable treatment.
Date VisitJuly 2017