top100_2016

St Petersburg Airport

"inadequate in facilities"

(China)

International arrivals at St Petersburg airport are at the newer terminal which is spacious but simply decorated, probably below the standard of a modern airport, but international flights are not too frequent and it is never congested. On your first arrival you may feel uneasy, but it is smooth if you know your way. To book a taxi, it is good to book inside with taxi stands which charges a reasonable standard fare of under 1000 ruples to town, and if you do not have the currency you may even charge your fare on a credit card. The train is not recommended as it terminates far from town. To go to the airport, book a taxi but specify the use of a metered city taxi, or you pay double (if not specified, hotels will book you a non-metered taxi and if so agree on a fare first). The airport is inadequate in facilities such as shopping and food outlets but is not bad.
Date VisitMay 2015

"beware of taxi scams"

Beware of taxi scams. There is an official taxi desk on coming through customs which will give you the taxi number plate, colour and make of car, name of driver and price of trip. On exiting, a man looked at my paperwork for the car and claimed it was his car. By the time my suitcases were loaded in his car, it was too late to back out (I hadn't checked the number plate). I was then taken to my destination and charged five times the quoted price according to a 'taxi meter' on his mobile phone. I refused to pay and photographed the number plate - he stopped me from photographing him. Will notify the police although suspect they won't be interested.
Date VisitOctober 2015

(Russian Federation)

From the city to the airport in 20 minutes. The new terminal is fine. Beautiful geometric lines used in the design. Check-in for flight did not take too long. The old building renovated and converted into a zone of local flights. There are many shops and cafes. There was a small queue of pre-control before departure.
Date VisitJuly 2015

St Petersburg Airport customer review

This is ridiculous. 1st time trying out Allegiant Air at St Pete (PIE) airport and I would never recommend it! This is the first and last time I will be here. The air conditioning doesn't accommodate the number of people you check in and wait standing in line with no AC no seating (except wheelchairs which I'm sure they charge extra for). Supposed to board at 6am still standing in line with no AC at 6am. So many people that the door outside remains open so more hot air pours in. I'll take Tampa Intl from now on.

St Petersburg Airport customer review

We passed through this airport from a domestic flight from DME using a new terminal. The facilities inside the new terminal are good. It is spacious and very modern terminal. Good connection to city centre via nearby Metro station. The shuttle bus is inexpensive (RUB25 per trip) but the bus is usually crowded. Security was quick and easy. My first impression of this airport was good.

St Petersburg Airport customer review

This airport might be acceptable if we were living in 1952 but by today's standards it is shocking. Waiting areas at the gates for flights have less room then the airport in St. Vincent few seats no shopping and no cafes. I couldn't believe that this is the airport of the second city of Russia. Allow lots of time for security checks. Passport Control was speedy. Just pray you don't have to use this airport when multiple flights are taking off. A new airport is being planned for the future.

(Azerbaijan)

From 50+ airports I have been to never seen Pulkovo-1 (domestic terminal) would definitely be the worst. No electric stairs operational bad smell toilet only in main building and not at boarding gates 1-6 old building from Soviet era with half of lights missing or burnt limited to no information panels etc.

St Petersburg Airport customer review

Watch out for taxi scams at this airport. We were approached by a man with official-looking identification right in front of the official taxi booth. We thought he was one of their staff. He directed us to an unmarked vehicle whose driver extorted us for twice the official fare. Insist on booking your taxi at the booth itself and ignore anyone else. The airport authorities and the staff of the official taxi booth who could see what was happening seem unconcerned about the issue.
Airport Shopping N/A

St Petersburg Airport customer review

Extremely accommodating! We booked a last minute flight to bring my elderly father home to Pennsylvania and from the minute we walked through the doors we were treated with nothing but kindness! What we feared would be a high stress nightmare couldn't have gone smoother! My one recommendation would be the addition of a family restroom. Because my father could not go into the restroom alone. However again an airport employee came to the rescue and actually closed the men's room to allow my mother to accompany my father. Highly recommend!

(Kuwait)

This airport just would never handle any volume. We arrived and immigration wasn't too bad. We had heard horror stories but maybe 20 mins maximum. The horror is luggage collection. No trolleys and a single conveyer belt handling a full plane. I wasn't sure how I was going to drag the 4 bags across the terminal without a trolley. At the last minute a passenger gave his up so we were saved. Taxi system is wired but seems to work. We had a very adequate BMW that was reasonably priced. The terminal looks awful though.