Southend Airport

"The lack of communication was appalling"

Not Verified | I have used this airport on several occasion and the Airport itself is great. Small and functional. However what you need to be aware of is the fact that Stobart Air own and run the airport and flights out under Flybe. If you have an issue with a Flybe flight they will say you need to contact Stobart who are virtually impossible to get in contact with. We flew with Flybe/Stobart who had a technical fault on plane. They chartered a plane to get us back to UK but it had to go to Gatwick, We had no communication about this until we boarded the plane. The flight should have left at 8.25pm. It left at 11pm. Upon landing at Gatwick we were supposed to have representatives to explain how we would get home but no one was in the baggage hall or outside arrivals to explain where coaches that were supposed to have been put on were. After an hour security at Gatwick and they only came out as people were trying to go back through arrivals in a effort to find help. had found some one and we found coaches. We arrived at Southend at 2.12am. No representative's again from Flybe or Stobart. Obviously no trains were running at this point and airport was closed up. People had no where to go until trains started again so had to get cabs to a place of warmth or home. The lack of communication was appalling. People had no chance to rearrange lifts as we had no time before take off to rearrange. What is more upsetting now is that when you contact Flybe be they say its a Stobart Air flight. You cannot find telephone numbers or contact details for how to put in a complaint or claim expenses to Stobart and the switchboard at Southend is automated and does not work properly. I got through to finance who gave me two telephone numbers supposedly for Stobart Head Office. It turned out to be a random house in Dublin and the other went straight to voicemail. The moral of the story is its a great place but you they obviously make it as difficult as possible to deal with them if there are issues. As its my local airport I was excited to have found something closer to home but I will stick with City Airport from now on.
Date VisitFebruary 2018

"it still never fails to impress me"

Not Verified | I travelled out from Southend to go on a day trip to Manchester. Flown from this airport a few times now and it still never fails to impress me, as it's local to me, quick, pleasant and stress-free, with little to no queuing. Security only took two minutes to go through and be processed with friendly and efficient security staff at 4:45 in the morning. It's good to see that WH Smith in departures has been extended to accommodate a new pharmacy section. Had a delicious cooked breakfast at the Laker's Bar and Restaurant, which didn't take long to wait for after ordering. Excellent flights both ways with Flybe (operated by Stobart Air) and a great day out in Manchester. On return we landed back at Southend 20 minutes early at 21:30, from touchdown, taxiing to the gate, to walking through arrivals and being picked up in the short stay car park, took no more than 5 minutes roughly. Southend is miles better than the glorified shopping centre called Stansted and I hope the Manchester flight stays for the long term.

"Great little airport"

Great little airport. So easy both in departures and arrivals especially the latter where you can land and be in the car within 15-20 minutes. Security was friendly and efficient. Will try to use Southend whenever possible especially to avoid Stansted.
Date VisitFebruary 2018

"effortless to pass through"

Trip Verified | This is a really nice airport and effortless to pass through - had we known we wouldn't have arrived so early for out departure! The airport is very small, smaller than most regional city aiports in the UK, but clearly has had a lot of money spent on it's development by Stobart Aviation. Security was painless and friendly, and the ground staff very helpful - my partner left a gift he bought in duty-free in the terminal after boarding the aircraft, the ground team in cooperation with easyJet crew very helpfully found it and retrieved it for him - this would have never have been done in Stansted or Gatwick! Although admittedly they are a lot bigger with more flights. If there was a criticism it would three points. Firstly that there isn't much to do once airside as it is that small - only really two food options owned by the same people and a WHSmith, if we used it again we wouldn't arrive so early. Secondly the lack of air-bridges also detract from the boarding experience as you are kettled in small caged holding area which is exposed to the wind before having to board in the open air. Lastly whilst it was easy to get to the airport as it took a mere 45 minutes and only £5 for a ticket (much cheaper Stansted and quicker), on the way back there was engineering works and we found the lack of flexibility in using our tickets during these unusual operations on the part of the train operator extremely frustrating! It would be great if the airport could create a better experience in co-ordination with the train operators during periods like this - it can be done after all they did privately build the station themselves to serve the airport!

"Everything was straightforward"

Not Verified | Excellent airport. Everything was straightforward and without hassle going and returning. On the way out security checked an item in my bag which got left behind. Lost property were easy to contact and responded relatively quickly. They did not have the item at the time of contact but they liaised with the other departments and were able to fully recover my items. A big thank you to security and lost property for their kind assistance in ensuring my items got to me safely. I would recommend flying from Southend Airport.
Date VisitJanuary 2018

"nobody was available to assist her"

(Spain)

Verified Review | We had booked special assistance for my 85 year old mother who flew out from Southend this morning to Murcia. She arrived at the airport for her flight and went to the special assistance desk, to be told by the male assistant that nobody was available to assist her. She then had to find her own way through customs and board the plane despite having breathing problems that must have been obvious to staff around her, as she had to keep stopping on the stairs to lift her luggage up. I assumed incorrectly that the airport had a duty to assist customers who had booked for special assistance. Absolutely disgusted.
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"Southend is a great little airport"

Verified Review | Southend is a great little airport. We parked in Long Stay 2, which was an easy 5 minute walk from the check in area. Bag drop was very quick and easy. Security clearance was efficient and adequate staff on duty. Departures area is quite small but ok for the number of flights the airport supports. A small duty free selection and magazine shop together with a couple of eating options. You walk from the terminal to the plane, so this could be a disadvantage in poor weather. Our arrival experience was also good, we were travelling with a young child and the stroller was delivered as you get off the plane. Immigration was very good with plenty of staff on duty. We had collected our bags and left the airport in 20 minutes from touchdown.
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"Not a pleasant experience"

Unverified | Normally use other locations but for convenience on this occasion I chose to use Southend. Seemed like a good little airport to be honest was simple, modern and pretty easy to navigate. However the toilets in the main atrium area were horrendous. I would say no attendant had visited since at least the night before and this was at 9am. Toilet roll was all over the floor in every cubicle and every single pan I tried to use was decorated with excrement. Not a pleasant experience for anyone to have to endure.
Date VisitAugust 2017

"not a professional airport"

Really terrible - complete shambles, not a professional airport. I definitely wouldn't choose this if I had the option of another more established London airport, especially not business travel or if you want to be somewhere on time. Should be the absolute last option. Awful customer service, hardly anyone about to help.
Date VisitJune 2017

"worst airport ever regarding connections"

Verified Review | Worst airport ever regarding connections! Their website doesn't mention opening hours and I found out from another website that it's closed during the night. I was planning to wait for my flight at the airport which was first thing in the morning and a few hours before I left my house I figured out it would be a nightmare so I changed my flight and the airport obviously. Trains take 53 mins only during day time and not always. Also you have to change most times to take a bus or walk to the next station. The most annoying thing though is that they don't mention the opening hours in their website. Also London southend airport? Please call it Southend airport. Which London airport would close during the night?
Date VisitApril 2017