Top 100 Airlines

Southend Airport

"staffing levels have been reduced"

My wife is disabled and we have always received excellent 'special assistance' at Southend which we use about 6 times a year. We had a problem in January when she was abandoned in the baggage hall whilst the ground staff went to deal with some lost luggage. We were later told by a manager at Southend that staff have to 'multi-task' in carrying out a range of duties but that staff training would reinforce the need to give priority to people and not luggage. But things were even worse on our return from Palma this Saturday. There was only a single member of ground staff to help three special assistance passengers, two of who (including my wife) needed a wheelchair. She directed us to the Customs hall to collect these chairs and then very reluctantly took us through Customs to the baggage carousel. There we were very abruptly told that that was a far as she was required to help and left us with no chair and nowhere to sit. A border agency officer saw our plight and gave us some assistance. These two incidents suggest that staffing levels have been reduced to such an extent that the assistance for passengers is at a bare minimum. This does appear to be to be the case for those arriving - our experiences at departure could not be more different - plenty of helpful and happy staff.
Date VisitApril 2016

"we waited and waited"

Late evening arrival on EZY. A short walk from aircraft to the corridor virtually direct to passport control. The usual time-wasting snaking to and fro across the room before we arrived at desks. Immigration was fast and easy. Then off to baggage claim. Where we waited. And waited. Eventually after all Stobart employees had beaten a retreat a message to the irritated and tired passengers to tell us that bags were being examined and would be coming out one by one. Triumph for Border Force. How to really irritate people and for what?
Date VisitMarch 2016

"no real hold ups"

Nicely planned new buildings. Easy reasonable parking. Convenient rail station linking Liverpool Street London. Airport is not up to full capacity as yet, so no real hold ups. Security clearance could improve with better signage requirements i.e. belts, shoes, watches, ipads, etc. Very enthusiastic customs staff considering many returning old folk from Lanzarote The weather outbound was bad and queuing in the draftee windy passage before boarding was abysmal. Needs improving from cold blowing winds.
Date VisitDecember 2015

Southend Airport customer review

Excellent quick and straight forward. A breath of fresh air from the bigger airports. I live in the Southeast and although Gatwick is nearer to me I would choose Southend instead because of the low hassle feel.

Southend Airport customer review

Flew on 9th January 2015 to Maastricht. Through security in a couple of minutes staff very friendly. Breakfast and coffee very good. Plenty of room in modern airey clean terminal. Boarding a breeze. Lovely experience all round.

Southend Airport customer review

Great airport especially now the extension is finished. Well laid out and organised. From landing to being in the car was 10 minutes! Beats the chaos at Stansted any time.

Southend Airport customer review

If your flight leaves first thing in the morning then don't bother! I travelled from Yorkshire to get my flight to Barcelona at 7 in the morning and got there at 1am had to "sleep" in the cold train station until it re-opened thankfully I wasn't the only person as there was about 10 of us. Last train from Southend to the airport was around 1am and vice versa so had no chance of going back into London for a few hours to pass time. There should be something for passengers who are catching flights first thing as not everyone drives and people come from far to catch early morning flights. Was ok once I got in speedy check in and going through security was fast too. Had a nice sleep on the plane but I wouldn't travel from there again because of the time it takes travelling and cost etc.

Southend Airport customer review

Flew from SEN to Dublin today and couldn't believe what was happening at security! One in about four bags passed straight through the X-ray check so that meant about three bags in four were treated as suspicious and were searched by hand by a security woman. Are travellers through SEN so very much worse than through any other airport or had SEN a serious problem. I put my case through the machine only to discover it was in a line with five before me that had to be checked! Luckily we were in plenty of time but we were delayed 45 mins at security and we saw two people miss flights because of this! There were only 20 or 30 passengers in the security at the time but virtually everyone had their luggage searched. Meanwhile everywoman that walked through the security screen set off the alarm and had to be frisked by the same woman who was searching the bags. She just stopped all progress with the queue of bags that was building up and went to search the queue of women waiting to be frisked! Never again!

Southend Airport customer review

Having used the airport a number of times I can certainly say that it is by far the best airport for short haul flights. So often you find yourself walking for miles before you reach your gate - here it's up some stairs through security down some stairs and you're at the gate. Forget gate #98 - there are only about 6 gates. You're not made to walk past hundreds of shops - there are just three airside and the only ones you need in an airport; a cafe/restaurant a newsagent and duty free. The lounge is basic but does the job and given the nature of the airport and the fact that you do not need to spend long there it is sufficient. The speed of the queues is amazing - the best I've experienced anywhere. Arrivals are amazing the best coming home from Dublin took me 30 seconds from going into the terminal to coming out. I have used easyJet and Aer Lingus and I am looking forward to flyBe and SkyWork.

Southend Airport customer review

I frequent airports world-wide with work and holidaying. I have never in any country I have been to been treated in the way which I was at London Southend airport. The security staff were roaring at us and pushing us as if we were dogs. They had their own rules from what I could see about carrying liquids. They would only allow one clear bag per person which had to be sealed so they had no problem in throwing out what could not fit into this one tiny sealed clear bag. This has never been "the rules" at any other airport I have been to so long as the liquids were in a clear unsealed bags and under 100ml. This whole experience unfortunately took the good out of my holiday and general perception on London as a tourist.