Southend Airport

"not a professional airport"

Really terrible - complete shambles, not a professional airport. I definitely wouldn't choose this if I had the option of another more established London airport, especially not business travel or if you want to be somewhere on time. Should be the absolute last option. Awful customer service, hardly anyone about to help.
Date VisitJune 2017

"worst airport ever regarding connections"

Verified Review | Worst airport ever regarding connections! Their website doesn't mention opening hours and I found out from another website that it's closed during the night. I was planning to wait for my flight at the airport which was first thing in the morning and a few hours before I left my house I figured out it would be a nightmare so I changed my flight and the airport obviously. Trains take 53 mins only during day time and not always. Also you have to change most times to take a bus or walk to the next station. The most annoying thing though is that they don't mention the opening hours in their website. Also London southend airport? Please call it Southend airport. Which London airport would close during the night?
Date VisitApril 2017

"staffing levels have been reduced"

My wife is disabled and we have always received excellent 'special assistance' at Southend which we use about 6 times a year. We had a problem in January when she was abandoned in the baggage hall whilst the ground staff went to deal with some lost luggage. We were later told by a manager at Southend that staff have to 'multi-task' in carrying out a range of duties but that staff training would reinforce the need to give priority to people and not luggage. But things were even worse on our return from Palma this Saturday. There was only a single member of ground staff to help three special assistance passengers, two of who (including my wife) needed a wheelchair. She directed us to the Customs hall to collect these chairs and then very reluctantly took us through Customs to the baggage carousel. There we were very abruptly told that that was a far as she was required to help and left us with no chair and nowhere to sit. A border agency officer saw our plight and gave us some assistance. These two incidents suggest that staffing levels have been reduced to such an extent that the assistance for passengers is at a bare minimum. This does appear to be to be the case for those arriving - our experiences at departure could not be more different - plenty of helpful and happy staff.
Date VisitApril 2016

"we waited and waited"

Late evening arrival on EZY. A short walk from aircraft to the corridor virtually direct to passport control. The usual time-wasting snaking to and fro across the room before we arrived at desks. Immigration was fast and easy. Then off to baggage claim. Where we waited. And waited. Eventually after all Stobart employees had beaten a retreat a message to the irritated and tired passengers to tell us that bags were being examined and would be coming out one by one. Triumph for Border Force. How to really irritate people and for what?
Date VisitMarch 2016

"no real hold ups"

Nicely planned new buildings. Easy reasonable parking. Convenient rail station linking Liverpool Street London. Airport is not up to full capacity as yet, so no real hold ups. Security clearance could improve with better signage requirements i.e. belts, shoes, watches, ipads, etc. Very enthusiastic customs staff considering many returning old folk from Lanzarote The weather outbound was bad and queuing in the draftee windy passage before boarding was abysmal. Needs improving from cold blowing winds.
Date VisitDecember 2015

Southend Airport customer review

Excellent quick and straight forward. A breath of fresh air from the bigger airports. I live in the Southeast and although Gatwick is nearer to me I would choose Southend instead because of the low hassle feel.

Southend Airport customer review

Flew on 9th January 2015 to Maastricht. Through security in a couple of minutes staff very friendly. Breakfast and coffee very good. Plenty of room in modern airey clean terminal. Boarding a breeze. Lovely experience all round.

Southend Airport customer review

Great airport especially now the extension is finished. Well laid out and organised. From landing to being in the car was 10 minutes! Beats the chaos at Stansted any time.

Southend Airport customer review

If your flight leaves first thing in the morning then don't bother! I travelled from Yorkshire to get my flight to Barcelona at 7 in the morning and got there at 1am had to "sleep" in the cold train station until it re-opened thankfully I wasn't the only person as there was about 10 of us. Last train from Southend to the airport was around 1am and vice versa so had no chance of going back into London for a few hours to pass time. There should be something for passengers who are catching flights first thing as not everyone drives and people come from far to catch early morning flights. Was ok once I got in speedy check in and going through security was fast too. Had a nice sleep on the plane but I wouldn't travel from there again because of the time it takes travelling and cost etc.

Southend Airport customer review

Flew from SEN to Dublin today and couldn't believe what was happening at security! One in about four bags passed straight through the X-ray check so that meant about three bags in four were treated as suspicious and were searched by hand by a security woman. Are travellers through SEN so very much worse than through any other airport or had SEN a serious problem. I put my case through the machine only to discover it was in a line with five before me that had to be checked! Luckily we were in plenty of time but we were delayed 45 mins at security and we saw two people miss flights because of this! There were only 20 or 30 passengers in the security at the time but virtually everyone had their luggage searched. Meanwhile everywoman that walked through the security screen set off the alarm and had to be frisked by the same woman who was searching the bags. She just stopped all progress with the queue of bags that was building up and went to search the queue of women waiting to be frisked! Never again!