Top 100 Airports

Southampton Airport

"a genuinely nice little airport"

Southampton airport is a small, basic airport. It is a primary hub for Flybe and flights to the Channel Islands. Like all airports, it has a small duty free section, a WHSmiths, a couple of coffee shops and plenty of space to sit. There is plenty of car parking outside and is a genuinely nice little airport.
Date VisitMay 2016

"not exactly top of this airports mission statement"

Verified Review | Let me reiterate first I have no objection to paying for services, everything costs money as we say there is no such thing as a free lunch. The basis of my complaint covers a wide range of services and the plethora of other restrictions applied to customers who are in effect a captive audience. When ordering a taxi it's a £25 flat charge irrespective of distance and the choice is just one taxi company checker cars. You could quite quite easily order a taxi externally for £7 but they are prevented from picking people up at the airport, so no competition for checker cars unless you drag your luggage to the airport perimeter or train station Just how does this arrangement benefit airport users? Surely choice would make taxis more competitive? The parking arrangements allow just 10 mins free, this is effectively zero because it is quite impossible even walking quickly to park, reach the airport building and return in the free period I had to leave my luggage only 36 hours before departure yet expeditiously applied daily rates meant I had to pay for 72 hours storage and a period of 18 hours in which I could not remove the luggage because the office is closed! Add to that a cash only payment method despite a card machine clearly visible on the desk. Finally after paying £36 to leave two pieces of luggage for just 36 hours and for no other reason than expediency being cleared out of cash by this archaic approach then returning to find just 40 minutes parking cost £5.80, you will forgive me for deducing that value for money at this airport is not exactly top of this airports mission statement.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"Southampton got it right"

I was travelling to Majorca with my autistic son who doesn't like crowds/noise or queuing. We also had the added problem of getting him on the plane first, because if there is a queue in front of him he panics. We arrived and were directed to the Special Assistance desk. It was a pleasure not to be cross questioned about my son's disability but accepted for who we were. (he looks and sounds perfectly normal so sometimes people think we just want preferential treatment). We were then approached by an "ambassador" lady who was brilliant with my son, not condescending at all, but took us both straight through security and explained what was happening and why to my son. When we reached the other side, she pointed out that there was a special lounge area we could wait in (there was a charge of £20) with free wifi, snacks and beverages. Once our flight was ready to board there was a phone call asking us to go down to the boarding gate. My son was already quite stressed, but this made boarding an aircraft so much easier for us and we got on without any issues. I have to say on this occasion Southampton got it right for someone with a "hidden" disability and made the whole process much easier on both of us.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"friendly, clean and fit for purpose"

With airports it is often the case that small is good. Southampton airport lives up to this. Obviously the range of destinations is reduced but the airport is friendly, clean and fit for purpose. A short walk from public transport (bus or train) or the car park. Check-in is quick with queues to a minimum. Even at the busiest times waits at security are minimal. The lounge area is small but with a reasonable range of cafes and shops. For short flights Southampton airport is a pleasant change from the mass transit of larger airports. Now that KLM have introduced flights to Schipol it is now possible to use the airport for more distant destinations.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"should invest in some staff training"

The ground staff this morning were rue, rude, rude. In fact they were nothing short of bullying. As I was transiting via Orly to Nice on an Air France flight, I wanted to check in at a counter rather than use a machine. A woman manning the machines refused to allow this, snatched my passport from me and processed my ticket without my permission. When I said I'd wanted aisle seats I was told I should have booked and pre-paid in advance. However, I booked with Air France not Flybe. I was also unable to use my Flying Blue points as it was too late to present my card once the woman had printed my boarding passes. She told me that I should have put the number in with my booking. I am absolutely furious. I make this trip several times a year and unfortunately have another flight already booked for next month. But that will be the last time I fly from S'hampton airport. Perhaps you should invest in some staff training because at 5.30 in the morning this was not a good way to start the day.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"small but very friendly airport"

A small but very friendly airport. From lounge to plane just a few paces. No crowds, no pressure. It was a pleasure to fly from here. There are a few shops and restaurants: just enough to meet needs. Security good but unobtrusive: Got through security very quickly.
Date VisitMarch 2016

"complete shambles"

Complete shambles at check in and very rude check in staff. We arrived to check in for our Edinburgh flight - only one queue and no screens showing which check in desk was dealing with each flight. Queued up and then told we were at wrong check in desk. Went to the one next door. Friends arrived to check in so we told them which desk to go to, but it was the same rude staff member that we had encountered, who was sitting doing nothing, sent them away to check in on the machine, then go elsewhere to drop luggage. This required help from 2 other members of staff when she could have done it. Awful service, terrible customer service. There's a reason why we always use Heathrow and Gatwick, where staff are polite and well trained.
Date VisitFebruary 2016

"light, airy, compact and easy to use"

On the plus side, compared to London Gatwick, this airport is light, airy, compact and easy to use. It has a dedicated train station which is literarally one minute away from the terminal building. On the minus side however they desperately need to attract more carriers to smash the dreary FlyBe monopoly, the parking charges are horrific, the only shops are WH Smith and a Duty Free and the only eateries Costa Coffee or some non-descript bar/cafe franchise airside and landside. Very convenient for Hampshire travellers as long as they're flying within the FlyBe network, but ultimately lacking in customer choice of destinations, airlines, facilities and outlets. Let's see our local airport expanded on these fronts in the coming decade, please. Then it would be a joy to use.
Date VisitDecember 2015

"grand little airport for connecting flights"

Flew through Southampton from Dublin to get to Guernsey. Flight was delayed for 1.5 hours and we were given food voucher for 7.50 from flybe. I can only be grateful I didn't have to pay for the meal myself as it was disgusting - how you make calamari and chips disgusting? I've flown through this airport numerous times and have never enjoyed the food. Grand little airport for connecting flights but don't eat in the restaurant. Could do with some proper seats in the lounge rather than the weird round ones.
Date VisitOctober 2015

Southampton Airport customer review

Flew to and from Amsterdam. Any airport that feels it is ok to charge £33 for 4 drinks needs to re-think its policy for attracting passengers. The parking is also a rip-off (nigh on £30 for a full day). Flybe have set up a base at Bournemouth in readiness for a future hiking of landing fees at Southampton which will drive them away too. An airport with huge potential but no commercial nous and too much greed.
Date VisitJune 2015