Singapore Changi Airport

"there was only 1 immigration officer"

Not Verified | "Best Airport in Asia as well as the Best Airport in the World". A seriously misleading description for T1. I arrived on Wednesday and was at the immigration queue at around 6 pm. Every row was filled to about 60% of the immigration hall. As I use a walking stick I was directed to the line at the extreme right which included families and people on wheelchairs. Unfortunately there was only 1 immigration officer for that queue. Consequently it took me 1 hour standing in the queue before I was cleared. Kids were crying. It was not a pleasant experience at all. My bag of course was waiting for me when I finally got to the baggage carousel. I thought this was a once of experience. Unfortunately this was not the case. My husband arrived on the same flight 2 days later on a Friday. He was in the regular queue and his experience was exactly the same. It took both of us 1 hour 20 mins from the time we got off the plane to the time we got to the taxi stand. Until things improve it would be "fake news" to describe T1 of Singapore Changi Airport as the best airport not even in Asia, never mind the world.

"the best airport"

Trip Verified | I am not surprised that this airport gets voted the best airport. I was in transit and had an 8 hour layover but Singapore Airlines had given me a complimentary 6 hour voucher for the Ambassador Transit Hotel. My long flight from LHR landed at a gate other than the designated one but the helpful staff directed me to the transit hotel via the Skytrain. The helpful girl at the hotel suggested that I first get breakfast and crash out in my room. ATMs were everywhere and I got out some local currency. In the transit area, in addition to the usual expensive airport restaurants was the welcoming Golden Arches of a McDonalds, where I had cheap breakfast. Then I slept for 6 hours! At Changi airport, gates are allocated in such a manner that there are no long walks involved between gates. Rushing around and thinking that I was somewhere else and had to walk a mile to my gate, I realised that my gate was just a few yards away. Great airport!

"worst passport control"

(Malaysia)

Not Verified | Worst passport control among all the countries I visited, airport is extremely beautiful for sure, but the long and slow line at the passport control is horrific. The staff show no urgency and are rude towards anyone going through, they are very inefficient and do things really slowly. I think the airport has to really monitor and retrain their immigration staffs. People has missed their connecting flights and transport due to this, please keep this in mind when you're booking the tickets.

"fast and easy check-in"

(Philippines)

Trip Verified | The check-in counter is highly automated that i have to personally print my boarding pass and tag of my checked-in luggage and load the latter to the conveyor. First airport having this type of fast and easy check-in.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"airport is very efficient"

Not Verified | The airport is very efficient. It is also very clean. I liked the layout of the airport because after touchdown I got to the gate within 2 minutes. I loved how they used greenery in Terminal 3. They used automation effectively and it was good as it saved a lot of time. The staff was good and the airport was very clean and well designed. The duty-free shops have everything from food stuff to toys. The overall experience was amazing and Singapore Changi deserves to be at the top.
Date VisitJune 2018

"Helpful staff"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | My wife and I flew into Changi on May 1st, departed May 16th. Followed other passengers through customs and immigration, no problems, found our shuttle to hotel, all in good time. Great selection of duty free shops, enjoyed looking at the gardens. Did some shopping here on our way to Kuala Lumpur, sadly on our way home to Christchurch did not have time to do more, tight connection. Our son was here 3 years ago, he saw a lot of Changi and really enjoyed it. Helpful staff, clean, hope to return. Well done Singapore.
Date VisitMay 2018

"downfall is their staff"

(Sri Lanka)

Trip Verified | Changi Airport is modern, efficient and comfortable. The provision of amenities right throughout the terminal is what sets this airport apart. In particular, I must mention, the bathrooms are spotless and absolutely clean. There is plenty of shopping available and entertainment is abundant. Connections are swift with the sky train. However, the downfall of this airport is their staff. Rudest and probably the most clueless staff ever. Every time I come to Changi, I have decided to avoid the staff because they have no idea how to talk to passengers. English proficiency is also questionable at times. When boarding my Sydney bound flight, the gate agent grabbed my security token from me! The staff at this airport are really weighing it down.

"Beautiful airport"

Trip Verified | Beautiful airport, excellent signages, plenty of choices for food and shopping. Everything looks good, smells good, sounds good, tastes good and feels good! The airport works with clinical efficiency. The staff were courteous and friendly too.
Date VisitAugust 2017

"definitely overrated"

(Sri Lanka)

Trip Verified | In terms of facilities, Changi airport is award worthy. Free Wifi and Water dispensers are rare to find in most airports in the region and the provision of massage facilities and lounges to relax make the airport an easy transit hub. On the contrary, the staff at the airport are absolutely the worst I have ever come across. The security personal at the gate literally grabbed the security token from me and grabbed my jacket and also barked at many passengers in the line. The airport information desk personal were no different with very blunt and rude responses. Their attitude towards foreign passengers is honestly disgusting and you're better off finding your way around on your own than asking for help because you'll be met with an abrupt response. Airport signs sometimes only appear in English and Mandarin which is odd given that there should be two additional languages that the signs should be displayed in. The washrooms are remarkable and practically spotless and well done to the staff who maintain them. Air conditioning facilities can also be improved. In short, the airport does have some strengths but it is definitely overrated.

"messy transit organisation"

Trip Verified | Terrible transit at Changi Airport from BKK to DPS. There is no segregated departure and arrival levels so arriving and transiting people are on the the same level than departing people, with police cordoning off arriving people, totally surreal. Upon arriving from BKK a first body scan, shoes removed etc. Than afterwards; what a stressful and outdated airport. Moldy and stinky flashy carpet straight out of the 70s. Low ceiling and little natural light. The sheer quantity of duty free shops is creating traffic jams blocking people. There is a lack of seating too. Food is way overpriced. An extremely stressful airport to use for a 3H transit, better keep it shorter unless you like shopping and spending money. Of course, a new body scan at the gate, creating a long queue without seating. Completely outdated airport and a messy transit organisation.
Date VisitJune 2018