Singapore Changi Airport

"This experience was bad"

Trip Verified | I am currently waiting for departure right now with feelings of annoyance. First of all, the staff at the gate were not very friendly which made me slightly disappointed because I thought that politeness and smiles were essential for passengers to enjoy a pleasant journey. What triggered me was that when I asked a staff to help us with the checking in of luggage, she looked at me and told me to do it myself. In my opinion I think providing basic concern or help would have been important to leaving a good impression of staff's attitude and the airport in general. I then roamed around while waiting for time to pass and when it was time to check in, it really made me fuming mad because the staffs at the bag checking section were really rude and harsh (the male staff rushed me and the female staff asked my sister to take off her cap with a demanding tone as if she were our mother). This experience was bad but I'm glad that a few staff still bothered to work with a polite attitude. I would advise the airport to really focus on their staff recruitment process so that we can have a legitimate "pleasant journey".
Date VisitJune 2018

"getting worse from my last trip"

(Malaysia)

Trip Verified | First of all, the WIFI service is absolutely horrible, I cannot access the internet even after multiple attempts to reconnect. Secondly, the staff's mannerisms are getting worse from my last trip. I gave this airport 4 stars for the trip before this but when I returned in Feb 2018, the staff were not looking good. The staff in the food court in Terminal 3 were not friendly and they speak to you very loudly in a rude manner. The airport immigration officer in my opinion have mixed reviews. Some of them were polite and they will greet you with a smile. However, some of the staffs mannerisms seemed fake. It is much like they don't really care about customer service but they are forced to do so to show the travellers their manners. The airport staff should also try to stop using words like 'lah', 'nah' which some travellers like me might feel that they are quite rude as this is a customer service and not just chit-chatting.
Date VisitFebruary 2018

"The queues were long"

Not Verified | We were twice very disappointed at the immigration on arrival. The immigration staff do not show any urgency in doing their work. Many were seen to be chatting and gossiping with one another and the supervisor was just as bad! Having been through China, Australia, Vietnam, Cambodia, Hong Kong, Singapore's immigration service upon arrival really looked and sounded so far behind Vietnam and Cambodia where the officers acted and looked more professional. The queues were long and queue cutting behaviour by arriving passengers was not stopped. I guess when passengers see the immigration officers as so relaxed and sloppy, passengers acted rowdily too. In most other arrival halls, immigration officers are serious and the passengers behave better. Most are surprised to see gossipy and chatting immigration officers in Singapore who are slow at their work processing the check in at arrival halls.
Date VisitMay 2018

"now full of high end shops"

Trip Verified | What happened to Changi Airport, arrived 11.45pm, most food outlets closed or closing down for the night. Terminal 2 is now full of high end shops which are not for everybody, disappointed since Changi has had a makeover. Arrived via Singapore Airlines, would have thought that Singapore Airlines would be affiliated with Changi airport, does not seem to be the case. Plane landed, then had to be transported via bus to the airport then back to plane via bus which was very crowded with long queues.
Date VisitMay 2018

"should arrange buggies for such passengers"

Not Verified | On way to Sydney recently, had to transit from T3 to T1 and since incoming flight was delayed, time was very short. Being senior citizens walking the long distance to catch the skytrain was really tiring. Same thing was repeated on the return journey (T1 to T3). Airport authorities should arrange buggies for such passengers. In fact one buggy was there but the driver refused. It will be of great help if buggy specifically earmarked for senior citizens are on standby. It will make the already famous Changi airport much more passenger friendly and popular.
Date VisitApril 2018

"there was no directions"

Trip Verified | Departing, going thru Immigration pointed to one of 3 lines, with a few people lined up. Looking at the automated system (very few people using it) and there was no directions or conversations from the humans in charge in who could use it. "Registered passengers" is that me? Others in the line talked regarding this as well. Waited 30 min, another couple behind me were determined to test the system and proceeded to leave the line (I heard the gasps from others). I was lined at the red line and the other couple went thru, apparently the thumb prints that were taken on arrival made you a registered passenger. For "the world's best airport" maybe they should employ some "hospitality staff" to give better directions.

"a terrible experience"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | I usually travel through Changi every month or so and have done so for the last 7 years. Historically it’s been a pleasant experience with great Singaporean efficiency, but the terminal was a bit dated. I was therefore pleased when Cathay moved its services to the new Terminal 4 late last year. Sadly, although the airport is beautiful, the customer experience is far from being so, mostly marred by the immigration and security teams. I never needed to queue for long upon arriving at Terminal One, but on the last two occasions, the lines at Immigration have been at least 10 deep and the previously polite immigration officials are now sour faced. Despite being given a card to say that I am a registered traveller the first time I visited, the immigration officials now say that I cannot use the automated gates for registered travellers as I have a foreign passport. Upon departing, I can use the automated gates, but they are designed so an alarm goes off if you push your luggage in front rather than behind you, even though most modern cases are designed for you to be able to push it in front of you. The baggage screeners seem to be clueless about what they are doing and as a result, you are stuck at the counter for ages. There are no signs offering guidance on what needs to be removed from hand luggage. Sometimes they ask for liquids to be removed from bags (the only airport I travel to in Asia that requires this and it was never previously a requirement, despite all research now indicating this security measure is no longer required) and sometimes they don’t - in fact when passing through today, I was told to leave them in my bag and after I put my bags on the belt, the woman changed her mind! I also had a tiny cardigan on due to the fierce ac in the airport which I was made to take out and to retrieve my passport and boarding card from my hand luggage because they wanted to put them through security separately! Anyway, after a terrible experience, I asked the supervisor if there were any feedback forms I could complete and I was told no. I queried this and was told to speak to someone at information - but it was closed. Come on Changi Airport, this is not the way to be a world beating airport. I used to sing your praises and encourage people to transit through here, but not any more!

"very good experience"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | As a transfer passenger between two airlines here, the stopover at Changi Terminal 2 is pleasurable. My flight land at Terminal 3 around midnight, Aerotrain between terminals is out of order but we are well advised what to do. I stayed at Ambassador transit hotel for 6 hours and it is very good too. They seemed to have very limited room, so advance reservation is strongly recommended. On my return journey, my transit is just under 1 hours and I found myself passing 2 security check, one after I deplaned which all passengers of that flight are directed to walk along the barricade to an extra security X-ray machine instead of freely walking to the public area, and then another security screening before boarding at the gate, which surprise me but not really a problem. Food shop here are nice, ranging from luxury option to the local Foodcourt. Good wifi signal and universal power outlet available thorough the terminal. A very good experience.

"Very disappointing"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | Arrived early at 3.35am and virtually everything was closed. Noted that the trains don't start until 5.30am approx so had 5 hours to do nothing. Very disappointing as Singapore used to be legendary to transit through. Once cafes and bars did start opening I felt ripped off by the charges so stuck to a can of soft drink. Daylight transits I imagine would still be fantastic but the darkness hour transits are best avoided if possible.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"long and slow moving lines"

Trip Verified | This used to be the most efficient airport to travel through, especially for arrivals. Sadly, its no longer the case. On arrival there are long and slow moving lines waiting to go through passport control. There are no e-passport scanners and for some unknown reason they feel the need to take a finger print image. Now wonder its once famous retail strip is struggling. On a side note, they have recently scaled back the Changi travel vouchers for flights on SQ transiting Singapore from $40 to $20.
Date VisitOctober 2017