Vote Now

Shanghai Pudong Airport

"simply not good enough"

As an Australian female solo traveller Shanghai Pudong airport was the worst place stop over. The staff barely spoke English. The signage was horrible. Even the tourist information staff did not speak English. If you have to go through here, I suggest that you get some local currency as some internal take away food outlets did not accept visa and MasterCard. As this airport is trying to push itself to be an international transit airport and gateway to China it requires a massive shift in attitude by its staff, in this day and age there efforts are simply not good enough.
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"signage is unclear, the staff unhelpful"

(Japan)

Verified Review | An execrable transit experience. The signage is unclear, the staff unhelpful. Even for an international transit, you may have to go through the immigration (something you have to guess by yourself), and you may also have to pick your luggage to have it checked in again for the second leg of your trip (and of course, go through the security, and Chinese immigration, again). Some of the transit areas seem to be reserved for China Eastern, but no staff were able to tell me whether or not I was in the right place until I reached the counter (after having queued for the n-th time). I definitely do not recommend Pudong for transiting.
Date VisitNovember 2016

"enjoy playing with their power"

(Russian Federation)

Verified Review | Me and my wife were going to Europe from New Zealand with a transfer at Shanghai Pudong Airport and it turned out to be a bad choice for me. Of course the airport is big and shiny, and passport control and security people are professionals. But when it comes to the human factor, such as interpreting the rules and caring about others, I'd say it's the worst. When checking my luggage, I was told that I cannot carry my guitar into cabin and that I have to put it as check-in because the soft case was "too big" - despite the general rule for musical instruments and that it was allowed when flying from NZ. I had two check-in bags already (same for my wife), and didn't want to pay 200USD for an extra one, so I've decided to put the guitar out, fill the case with some of the contents of one of my bags, and throw the bag out with the rest of the stuff. I wrapped the guitar in some of my clothes, but the manager told me it was "still too big" even though its base fit into the 2 dimensions given for checking (he said it was "too tall", weird logic) - so I had to take everything off and play the game of pretend. Still, I had to carry the wrapped guitar by the griff, jacket hanging on one of my hands and another item which was quite flat and wide so it was stuck in the X-ray at security and we forgot about it since we had too much on us already. I tried to call lost & found of this terminal afterwards, but they said they haven't found it, even though I can hardly imagine how such a big piece can go missing. I guess some representatives of this culture enjoy playing with their power, so to all of you decent folk out there, please be careful and aware.

"badly managed airport"

I passed through Shanghai Pudong on my way home to Australia and this is a badly managed airport. The staff of our airline (China Eastern) had no idea on how to manage people, except by yelling at them, they had very bad attitude, and no customer servicing skills whatsoever. The security staff at the airport were a neatly-dressed bunch of kids who were rude and unprofessional. If you don't like to be treated like an animal, please save yourself lots of frustration and anger, and pay whatever it takes not to pass through Shanghai and avoid China Eastern. Otherwise, it's not so bad, if you think money comes before dignity.
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"a high risk of missing your next connecting flight"

Verified Review | I was in transit from Japan to another country via Shanghai Pudong international airport with two different airlines. Big mistake. The airport do not have the logistics to handle passengers with transit purpose. Upon arrival, I followed the sign at the airport for transit and baggage claim since my next flight was from another airlines. But the sign lead me to the immigration check point where I was asked to apply for a temporary 24hrs visa permit. The custom officials there were rude when I asked them why I need that when all I need is transit from one plane to another. I didn't even intend to visit China! So I got my permit signed, collected my checked in luggage, bothered by the duty officials as they randomly checked passenger's luggage, got out and rechecked in from the connecting airline as if I just visited China, lined up with all other passengers at the airport for security check, filled up another departure form for immigration. With all these lengthy procedures, I wasted one and a half hour when I could spend my time visited some restaurants at the transit area. Luckily I had 3 hours of transit time. At last I didn't even bother to spend a single cent at their shops and restaurants. With the Chinese New Year season approaching, any airline passenger who is thinking of transit at this airport or any China's airport please consider having a high risk of missing your next connecting flight.
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"no apologies or any kind of assistance were offered"

(Japan)

Verified Review | Customer service is non-existent at this airport. I was transferring through this airport on my way to Tokyo and was supposed to change airports. Transfer desk people were nowhere to be found. Immigration window for transfer passengers had only one officer attending to 200 plus people. Communication in English is severely limited and the staff are rude and unhelpful. Wi-Fi is also not working. I had to wait at immigration for more than an hour and missed my connecting flight from another airport as a result. Luckily, I was able to board another flight later in the day. Needless to say, no apologies or any kind of assistance were offered. If you can, avoid this airport at all cost.
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"don't expect help from staff"

It is crazy how Shanghai Pudong as an International airport doesn't provide qualified staff, who are able to speak proper English. I don't request a high level of English but it is like beginner level or even nothing and it is very frustrating when you need to ask for information. When I arrived, I had a flight connection to Hong Kong - in general when you get out of the plane you just need to follow the "Flight connection or Transit Area" in order to reach the gates. In my case the "flight connection" was closed and the only path was "Immigration Office". I was quite surprised as in general once you go to the "Immigration Office" to pick up your luggage and to go out. I asked staff and he just didn't understand and oriented me to the "Immigration Office". I didn't have a visa as I was just expecting to transit. After a long queue I explained my situation to the staff that I don't need to pick up my luggage as it was registered to Hong Kong. I was given a temporary visa and I waited a short time but as expected I could not find my luggage, so I decided to go out and I went to pick up the boarding pass from check-in - thinking that the staff there might speak better English. Explaining the same things they told me that I have to pick up my luggage but again, didn't really understand my problem as I told her that there was no luggage at the reclaim. I was at risk of missing my flight connection so the staff requested that I fill in a paper of reclamation for the luggage and they finally gave me my boarding pass. Nowadays, you get a reference numbers in which you can track the luggage but of course nothing here. It was a very bad experience and wouldn't recommend transit here. If you do, please don't expect help from staff.
Date VisitMay 2016

"long delays and other travel disruptions"

Verified Review | Pudong Airport quite often deals with long delays and other travel disruptions: delayed departures, waiting on taxiways for take-off and after landing. Queues at Terminal 1 check-in, passport control (in and outbound) and security can be long, especially during daytime. However, priority check-in is OK with almost no queues. No priority lanes at passport control. Retail and F&B facilities are poor. KLM lounge is so-so. Departures and arrivals are often remote via bus gate because of lack of contact gates. Good accessibility via Maglev+metro to downtown or taxi. T1 is clean but often too warm.
Date VisitOctober 2016

"service at the restaurants was terrible"

Verified Review | My general experience in China was great except for the departure from Shanghai Pudong airport. Service at the restaurants was terrible. I was waiting for long time for my meal, one of the plates arrived and the second one did not. They charged me for the towels for my hands which I never requested as an extra. Other than a sandwich already prepared, the service is no good. Duty free shops do not offer the official security bags. I realized when I arrived to Canada and the officials had to trash my items because they do not follow the Canadian regulations which apply since January 2014 and my trip was September 2016. I suppose they just give you a bag that looks as if it was one but it is not an official security bag. I guess the requirement is not only for Canada but it might be for other countries also.
Date VisitSeptember 2016

"expect a lot of delays"

Verified Review | Expect a lot of delays when going through this airport (but this is pretty common in China). The air traffic is very busy and a lot of times, flights will not only be pushed back from the gate later than scheduled, but the queue for take off is also often very long. There isn't much to do inside the terminal, since they seem to separate the international departures from the domestic departures within the same terminal. You can't really get to this airport at the last minute because security lines can get pretty long. As long as you are trying to enter the airport (yes, including the check in area), they check you for explosives before letting you in.
Date VisitAugust 2016