Top 100 Airlines

Shanghai Pudong Airport

"had a great experience here"

I don't see why people write negative reviews about this. Personally, I had a great experience apart from the WiFi. The airport is huge and very spacious. I had a great experience here. Everything was smooth, the seats are standard of any airport. It was very clean. My flight departed without any delays. Definitely no complaints.

"cold, robotic workers"

Shanghai Pudong is a dark and dreadful place full of tension and helplessness. Cold, robotic airport workers greet you with a scowl, and there is little hope they will actually help you should you experience a problem (not to mention they won't understand you in the first place). I saw a worker yelling at poor passengers queued in an insanely long line waiting to approach the international transfer desk. Terrible neglect of elderly passengers requiring assistance. No wheelchairs available until a few passengers yelled back at airport workers. Those same passengers requiring assistance were also slowly herded from the plane to a waiting bus for transport to the terminal - all in a cold rain. There is no regard for passenger comfort . I hope other travelers will heed these words and avoid this airport.
Date VisitApril 2016

"metro line is efficient and cheap"

Shanghai Pudong is a great airport - check in times and the time to get through security are good. The access to the airport is easy - the metro line is efficient and very cheap (like 1USD from downtown) and you could always take the world's fastest train for about 7USD. Standard food outlets cater for most needs and there are several traditional Chinese restaurants for the more adventurous. Most signs are available in English as well as Chinese (you don't see much Chinese in other countries) and are fairly clear. The staff of the airport speak very little English unless you go to the Information desks, another trick is to go to the check in desks of international airlines where they are usually very happy to help. The Duty free is some of the cheapest I have ever known and they have very good deals on spirits and tobacco for those who like those things. You may need to be open minded about the cultural differences in China but that's ubiquitous and not particular to this airport.
Date VisitSeptember 2015

"flight status was not updated"

We had the worst experience at this airport. First, the hygiene of the bathrooms is not good. Found puddles on the bathroom floor which most likely ended up on my shoes. Our connecting flight was delayed by 5+ hours and then flight status was not updated throughout the airport so when we started walking around we saw two different times for our flight. Since our flight was delayed past "closing time" of their terminal, we could not spend our downtime eating or shopping, and we were told to find a hotel for the night because they were not sure when our flight would eventually leave. There are designated smoking areas which my husband was diligent to respect, and he found security guards smoking in the bathroom. We were told by some staff, who tried their very best to speak English with us but couldn't, to go to another terminal only to be told by the staff at that terminal to go back to our original terminal. The airport is not small and our connection was short, so we almost ran throughout the entire two terminals, getting more and more frustrated as we kept hearing more conflicting information. We also had to go through an a incredible amount of security checks at this airport for a connecting flight with the same airline.

"wasn't a problem"

(Hong Kong)

Pudong is a lot bigger and considerably farther from the city center than Hongqiao. The Metro ride on Line 2 to Pudong was less pleasant than the ride on Line 10 to Hongqiao, not least because one has to transfer midway to another segment of the same line to continue to the airport and be packed into the train like sardines in a tin. (At least the fare was cheap.) Going through immigration at Pudong wasn't a problem, but the security checkpoint was a bottleneck. Fortunately, another checkpoint opened when I lined up and I quickly switched over to it. My gate was changed, but the new gate was fortunately right next door. My flight was delayed for half an hour, which was good compared to when I last flew out of Shanghai from Hongqiao (a three-hour delay). Aside from this, it may be better to arrive in and depart from Hongqiao than Pudong.

"no-one speaks English"

(New Zealand)

Worst experience in Shanghai Pudong - incredibly rude staff. No-one speaks English in this International airport. They make no attempt to help and just want your money in the shops. I wish I had paid the extra to now to bypass this airport. Will never go again. No WiFi available. Avoid.

"spacious and clean"

Arriving at Pudong, I was greeted by a spacious and clean corridor with Chinese artwork on display. The lines at customs were long, especially from several flights from Europe arriving at the same time, but organized. The staff were friendly. Bags came on the carousel immediately. Departing - check in was efficient but customs was long, due to delays the previous day and several intercontinental flights departing at the same time. However, lines were very organized. Security though, was a pain, since they asked me to take out all my metals in my backpack. However, they were friendly and the system wasn't as bad as in the US since I didn't have to remove my shoes. The building itself is clean, well designed, and full of shops and restaurants. Overall, it's not Hong Kong or Singapore, but it's still a great airport and better than most airports in the US.
Date VisitJanuary 2016

"nobody speaks English"

(Japan)

I didn’t have a nice experience at this airport. Almost nobody speaks English. It’s hard to communicate with clerks/servers at this airport. Many of them are also insincere and lack hospitality in their services. I could not get WiFi as I didn't have Chinese number. This is inconvenient especially if you have a long layover. The log-in website has English, but it was broken and hard to understand. There were many restaurants and souvenir stores that were similar to one another. The only good thing about this airport is that it is clean.
Date VisitFebruary 2016

"lousy airport"

(Spain)

Lousy airport to transit through. Had to get exit visa, which was easy, collect bag, which was slow especially when flying business class. I then had to get in a huge queue to get back through immigration and then security - this took nearly an hour. There were no priority queues for business class. Some airlines such as Lufthansa do not require passengers to exit the transit area. I flew Air China and was required to fully exit then return. This needs to change.
Date VisitFebruary 2016

"horrible 10 hour transit"

I would say the worst airport I have been to in my whole life. Everything was in Chinese, I used the currency exchange and ended up giving them 1/3 of my cash in commission. For food and beverages, the shops were in Chinese, people had no idea what I was asking, the vending machines saved me that day. The horrible 10 hour transit.
Date VisitAugust 2015