Shanghai Pudong Airport

"Plenty of choice for eating and shopping"

I flew several times from and to Pudong and you never really know what you get. This time my arrival was on a Sunday evening, immigration was quite busy and it tooks me 45 minutes to pass it. After I passed through my luggage was already there and I took the Maglev to Pudong station as the taxi queue was long. For departure I had a flight at 10 am, it was not busy. Procedure from check in to departure area was done in just 15 minutes. Plenty of choice for eating and shopping but nothing special. Prices are ok for an international main airport. Overall this time the experience was better than most of the other times, especially for departure. Looks like 10 am is a good time to fly as not so many flights at this time.
Date VisitMay 2017

"good experience this airport"

(Bangladesh)

Verified Review | Shanghai Pudong is a very big airport. Immigration process fast. Clean and well sign airport. Staff are friendly apart from some at the check in counter. Airport transportation really excellent, easy to move Shanghai city center. It's big airport; terminal 1 to 2 little far. Has a lot of outlet and duty free shops. Main problem is no free wifi without China SIM card. Overall I have good experience this airport.
Date VisitMay 2017

"needs to move with the times"

Verified Review | At Shanghai Pudong Airport the men's toilets were dirty and smelly. I was looking around to see if there was a roster on the door to see the last time they were cleaned, I found nothing. Perhaps they could consider putting in showers for travellers (with long lay-overs) to shower in-between flights. More importantly, ensure they are clean. The airport is sterile with no atmosphere whatsoever. There are no western food chains (McDonalds', KFC or Hungary Jack's) except Starbucks. There appeared to be no airline counter (China Eastern) to go to and ask questions. Having your hand luggage checked when you get off the flight and get back on again is laborious and very time consuming, this took 1hr including going through passport checks. There is really no need for this considering this was done in Sydney en-route to Paris. HK, Dubai, Bangkok and Singapore are better places to transit through. As a frequent traveller, I won't be going back via Shanghai again en route to Europe anytime soon. Terminal signs and direction were convoluted. Terminal shops were more Eastern than Western, as a result, I didn't buy anything. Terminal staff were few and far between. The only good thing was Wifi was great and almost instant. Pudong Airport needs to move with the times including better information on its website. Had to disembark (Air France and China Eastern) on the tarmac and not via an aerobridge. Obviously these two airlines are saving money here while disadvantaging there most precious cargo - passengers.
Date VisitApril 2017

"longest and slowest customs line"

Verified Review | We landed in Shanghai Pudong airport on-time. We had a 4 hour layover. We had taken Shanghai Airlines and after horrible service with them we had to deal with this airport. Starts out on the bus exiting the plane and going to the terminal. We get inside after being marched through, asked for assistance for transfers and transit. The staff either said I do not know or told us to seek the main office. We ultimately followed everyone to the customs gate and had to apply for a visa even though we were just there for a 4 hour transit. Explained this to an officer and though he understood our situation he made us sit through the longest and slowest customs line. That ate up about 2 hours of our layover. So the next part is we had to pick up our baggage. We go to the posted gate and to our surprise our bags have not been delivered. Waited another hour and still no one in our flight had recieved their bags. Bags finally came out and at this point we rushed to the other terminal. Get to the terminal only to find we have missed our flight. Found the assistance counter and they had the audacity to tell me it was my fault even after showing them proof. They sent me back to the main terminal to speak to another representative (more security checks) who then redirects me to the same person I spoke to. Anyway, I got some certificate thing from China Eastern and met a lot of people who missed their flights, all sad stories at no fault of their own. Met people who were stuck there for several days. Got onto a new flight after some work. We get into the plane and are about to take off. Then our captain tells us that the airport has not cleared our takeoff and that we will be heading back to the terminal. After 2 hours of just sitting around we finally got the clearance to fly out. Could not have been happier.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"no idea of international standards"

Shanghai Pudong airport is large and modern and its infrastructure is a credit to China's rapid development process that such facilities stand tall. I wish I could say the same for the management and the service side of it. This side slides right down to the bottom of the scale. And worst is, I don't see why this could be the case or for any excuses when you have such a fine infrastructure. I was a transit passenger in Pudong airport flying Air Chana from Tokyo. My connecting flight was so to Sydney in 2 hours time with Air china again. I had to make my way though the the corridors guessing all the way (lack of signs and direction) eventually arriving at the immigration gate. I was then forced to ask one aloof security personal with repeat gesture of me being a transit passenger I was pointed towards the far end which was still an immigration gate. It turns out I still needed to get a visa to get out and recheck in a like a fresh arrival at the airport. I still would not have minded had the process being routine and swift, instead I was looking at the immigration office for a good 20 minutes while she fundled my passport asked for my ticket, looked at me couple of time, stamped the passports twice and god knows what else was the process that they had had to go through, while I only wanted to catch the connecting flight. I don't even need their visa and bureaucracy to start with. After this I eventually figured my way out and out to the departure level to re-check. The Air China staff at the counter asks where is my luggage? I told him I am a transit passenger flying the same airline and going to Sydney. He said I needed to go back and get my luggage and I have 40 minutes to do so. Needless to say this caused stress, as the gentleman had limited English and that was all the help he could give. Made my way to the information desk, hoping they could help me out after seeing my itinerary but their English was so rudimentary and empathy was even less. Ran down to the security, tried explaining my situation in slow English and this time it wasn't hard for them to understand me and they let me go through in after security scan and check. I am positive this episode happens day in day out at their end and they know exactly why I want to go back in. Any way got my suitcase and did the re-check in and went through the appalling immigration process again. Hurried our way to the gate and we had about 30 minutes left we quickly got through the gate and boarded a bus that was to take us to the plane. But this was not the last of Pudong transition. We stood in the bus for over 30 minutes crammed full of people very cold out on the tarmac area, while the airport staff waited for the final people to board, and we were not even the first people to board the bus. Couldn't they get multiple bus and get the bus moving once its full or semi full and get another bus for the other batch? I felt like a cattle waiting to be shipped. I was only too glad I got away from this airport in one piece with my luggage intact. The government bureaucracy who is running this airport has no idea of international standards. Is it so hard? Comparing the Tokyo Narita experience to Pudong there is no comparison.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"a primitive airport, at best"

A primitive airport, at best. Passengers at my assigned gate were exposed to the outdoor (very cold) weather and were shown no courtesy. No personnel spoke English and were rudely dismissive of any questions. This is a Delta Airline's "partner". A horrific experience.
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"simply not good enough"

As an Australian female solo traveller Shanghai Pudong airport was the worst place stop over. The staff barely spoke English. The signage was horrible. Even the tourist information staff did not speak English. If you have to go through here, I suggest that you get some local currency as some internal take away food outlets did not accept visa and MasterCard. As this airport is trying to push itself to be an international transit airport and gateway to China it requires a massive shift in attitude by its staff, in this day and age there efforts are simply not good enough.
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"signage is unclear, the staff unhelpful"

(Japan)

Verified Review | An execrable transit experience. The signage is unclear, the staff unhelpful. Even for an international transit, you may have to go through the immigration (something you have to guess by yourself), and you may also have to pick your luggage to have it checked in again for the second leg of your trip (and of course, go through the security, and Chinese immigration, again). Some of the transit areas seem to be reserved for China Eastern, but no staff were able to tell me whether or not I was in the right place until I reached the counter (after having queued for the n-th time). I definitely do not recommend Pudong for transiting.
Date VisitNovember 2016

"enjoy playing with their power"

(Russian Federation)

Verified Review | Me and my wife were going to Europe from New Zealand with a transfer at Shanghai Pudong Airport and it turned out to be a bad choice for me. Of course the airport is big and shiny, and passport control and security people are professionals. But when it comes to the human factor, such as interpreting the rules and caring about others, I'd say it's the worst. When checking my luggage, I was told that I cannot carry my guitar into cabin and that I have to put it as check-in because the soft case was "too big" - despite the general rule for musical instruments and that it was allowed when flying from NZ. I had two check-in bags already (same for my wife), and didn't want to pay 200USD for an extra one, so I've decided to put the guitar out, fill the case with some of the contents of one of my bags, and throw the bag out with the rest of the stuff. I wrapped the guitar in some of my clothes, but the manager told me it was "still too big" even though its base fit into the 2 dimensions given for checking (he said it was "too tall", weird logic) - so I had to take everything off and play the game of pretend. Still, I had to carry the wrapped guitar by the griff, jacket hanging on one of my hands and another item which was quite flat and wide so it was stuck in the X-ray at security and we forgot about it since we had too much on us already. I tried to call lost & found of this terminal afterwards, but they said they haven't found it, even though I can hardly imagine how such a big piece can go missing. I guess some representatives of this culture enjoy playing with their power, so to all of you decent folk out there, please be careful and aware.

"badly managed airport"

I passed through Shanghai Pudong on my way home to Australia and this is a badly managed airport. The staff of our airline (China Eastern) had no idea on how to manage people, except by yelling at them, they had very bad attitude, and no customer servicing skills whatsoever. The security staff at the airport were a neatly-dressed bunch of kids who were rude and unprofessional. If you don't like to be treated like an animal, please save yourself lots of frustration and anger, and pay whatever it takes not to pass through Shanghai and avoid China Eastern. Otherwise, it's not so bad, if you think money comes before dignity.