Shanghai Pudong Airport

"not many restaurant options"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | The airport was comfortable but it didn't have many seats. Luckily we didn't go to the airport too early so we didn't need to take a rest while waiting. Usually the Asian airports have a lot of restaurants, but this one didn't seem to be like that. There were not many options. As a big and a very international airport, maybe PVG can do better in this.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"Take a few lessons on customer retention"

Not Verified | Took a vacation to Thailand from SFO via Shangai. My experience was the 4 hr layover. My boarding pass did not yet have a Gate. I had to keep checking the screen. The Gate info finally updated. To be sure, I asked an employee at one of the Gates to verify. Without looking up, while typing away on her keyboard, she said "You talk. I listen." Okay! So I asked "please let me know if I'm at the right Gate for flight to Bangkok". She gave me this dirty look, pointed at the screen and raised her voice at me "Look at screen!", and continued typing. Feeling frustrated, I asked another employee, on his cell phone, at another gate. Same answer, "look at screen". Argh! I can "look at screen". I just wanted to be 100% sure. An hour later, I happened to overhear fellow passengers to Bangkok mention change in Gate. They picked up their stuff and ran. I don't recall any announcement. I picked up my carryon and ran also. I get it. It's your mentality to treat others like we are nuisance rather than paying customers. But your airport operates for the International community. Take a few lessons on customer retention. Oh, and wifi is a joke. You need to scan your passport for the password. Even then, you're still not connected. Several other passengers were unable to login. I'll never come thru Shanghai again until things change. If ever.
Date VisitJune 2018

"Disgraceful people"

Not Verified | After going to Shanghai and staying a couple of nights in China because of a delayed flight from China Eastern Airlines my fiancé and I encountered the most disgraceful, pathetic, exhausting two days of our lives. Every worker was angry, pushy, rude, told customers to shut up, put hands in the face of people they didn’t understand, gave horrible directions, standing around on their phones while we waited along with about 100 others for 2.5 hours to go through the visa line. From there brought to a hotel that didn’t have WiFi, greeted by more rude customer service. Elerly people were not helped, a 73 year old Japanese women struggled to carry her luggage and asked for help moving her luggage to the bus which was about 15 feet away, the bus driver said no and walked away (he was in his 30s). Disgraceful people, I can’t say enough. No WiFi at the airport too. International calls were not possible on their phones, dozens of people had family or friends waiting for them at the next airport with no way to contact them. No one knows English either!
Date VisitMay 2018

"Shanghai Pudong is a disgrace"

(Philippines)

Trip Verified | I was flying from LA to Cebu, Philippines via Shanghai Pudong with China Eastern and I had an 18 hour layover. I knew from the start that I can actually get out of the airport without a visa as long as the layover wont go beyond 24 hours. I arrived 6 in the morning and tried to get to the immigration and explained to them that I wanted to go out but they just said no. So I went to china eastern and they were very unhelpful. I told them if they can help me talk to the immigration officer but they refused. They just always say “II don't know. I am glad I was in business class and I had a lounge access, but the fact that i have to wait for 15 hours inside a terrible airport almost made me crazy. People were so unhelpful, no english and there’s no hotel facility inside. Shanghai Pudong is a disgrace and I surely wouldn’t transit there anymore. There’s no food court, No entertainment and they only have 1 Starbucks with no seats.
Date VisitMay 2018

"sometimes confusing"

Trip Verified | Now this is a real huge airport. Rolling taxi with the plane is already a long trip and one may look outside the window to see a huge construction site to an additional terminal. Signs are okay but sometimes confusing. Organization of the check-in desks (flew Lufthansa) was just fair. The gate side is much more comfortable and better organized then the check-in are.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"The whole place is filthy"

Trip Verified | This airport is a complete embarrassment to China. The whole place is filthy, and don’t even get me started with the service. I was declined a room at the airport hotel under the guise of “not having a reservation”, however, the person afterwards also didn’t have a reservation but was able to check in simply because they spoke Chinese! I, too, am Chinese and my family is from Shanghai—however, I am far more comfortable in my native tongue, English. The staff heavily discriminate against passengers who aren’t fluent in Chinese, which is a disgrace, because this is an international airport, not a local one, and all staff should proper bilingual training. It’s as if they’ve never had any experience interacting with a foreigner in their life. China better get their act together before they can expect to be on the same footing as the rest of the first-world countries.
Date VisitFebruary 2018

"Pudong treated me well"

Trip Verified | Yeah, it is not as fancy as Taipei or Hong Kong, but from my perspective as a handicapped person both China Eastern and Pudong treated me well. They acted as if they really cared about me, and made sure that a wheelchair and helper were available. The helper acted as if he were my best friend, very polite and always concerned that I was doing well. We were whisked thru the process of both coming and going without a problem. For my concerns, that rates them highly.
Date VisitFebruary 2018

"Most of the staff are untrained"

Trip Verified | Most of the staff are untrained in proper English at this "Pudong International" Airport. No hotel facility for the long layover flight passengers. The washrooms are not maintained properly. The immigration facility is under staffed. The immigration forms are limited, so we have to rush and fight to grab it. China sells its products across the globe, but unfortunately it itself is sub-standard in management.
Date VisitJanuary 2018

"this airport was by far the worst"

Trip Verified | Had to transit here from Air France to China Eastern. Got off a 10 hour flight from Paris and had to re check in here. Queued for over an hour in a disorganized queue to get to speak to an incredibly rude female who issued two boarding passes for me and my wife but not seated together. We later found many other couples with the same issue. Then queued again for nearly an hour to get through immigration checks even though we were only in transit. Most of the people that tried the automated passport check got rejected so ended up in our queue anyway. Finally got to front of the queue and the official just closed his desk and left leaving the remaining people trying to filter into another queue. Most of the staff we had to deal with were rude and their English was poor. I’ve travelled through many different airports as a transit passenger and this airport was by far the worst! Do yourself a favor and transit via any other airport. This one is a joke at best and most definitely not up to the task of being a modern transit hub in the 21st century.
Date VisitJanuary 2018

"Shocking experience at security"

(China)

Trip Verified | Shocking experience at security. I live in Shanghai and had just flown to Hong Kong from here a week ago with the same contents in my carry on. On this occasion, security confiscated my tiny battery pack and hand sanitizer. Absurd. Staff were rude and refused to get a manager involved. Shanghai is a great place to live, but they need to do something about this airport. I won't even start on the delays.
Date VisitDecember 2017