San Francisco Airport

"Horrible planning at this airport"

Verified Review | Horrible planning at this airport. Over the past 10 days I've landed at this airport twice at around 1.00 am and were informed that our gate was occupied, having to wait about 20 min to be given another gate. People at SFO, please do better planning, you should not keep people waiting on the planes constantly due to your poor planning.
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"There are no signs"

Verified Review | Arrived into T1 and needed to transfer to international. There are no signs. Our flight had been delayed so we had very little time to get from T1 to international. It was terrible. Huge security queues. No one to ask for help. Walking down endless long corridors between terminals with no signs not knowing if we were right or wrong. No way of jumping the security queue even though we would have missed our flight had we not skipped the 300+ people in security queue.
Date VisitAugust 2017

"arrival in international was horrendous"

Verified Review | Arrival in international was horrendous. Herded through long lines and a feeling of chaos. I'm a citizen and have never waited so long for a stamp in any of the dozens of countries I've travelled - except now my own thanks to San Francisco. It was an hour in line, with equally exhausted and upset people. I looked over and saw the visitor line was 4x longer, meaning they stood for 2 or more hours for a stamp. Welcome to America? Not cool! After finally getting stamped, I was at baggage claim for an hour and a half. Some people 2 hours to get their bags, again, first time ever for me. 2.5 with no water or toilet as a single traveler you don't want to leave baggage area thinking your bag is coming out - but 1.5 hours later it finally does. I felt so embarrassed that this chaos is the very first impress for visitors and I missed 2 airport busses myself. I have no idea what inefficiency is going on at international arrivals but it's really, really bad.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"improved markedly"

Verified Review | We flew from Terminal 3, the base for United's domestic operations. Things have improved markedly at San Francisco over the past couple of years. Terminal 3 has been thoroughly modernized and has many state-of-the-art features. United's clubs, at gate 69 and in the satellite concourse, are both among their better clubs. Check-in is well-spaced and efficient. Security, long a problem for Terminal 3, seems to have been configured to move quickly. We were flying at midday and experienced no wait at TSA Pre-check. As an aside, I'm also familiar with SFO's international concourses. They are among the best in the US, with lots of facilities and efficient boarding areas.

"officials were pleasant"

Customs and immigration with a returning ESTA was reasonably quick using the newish kiosks. All the officials were pleasant which has not always been the case previously. Bags were quickly available and their onward checking efficient. Security check into T3 was also quick and painless. Plenty of places to eat and drink before heading for gate lounge. Lots of seating, easy to read departure boards, clean rest rooms and well organised boarding procedure. No complaints at all.
Date VisitMay 2017

"out 20 mins after leaving the aircraft"

(Austria)

After reading all these negative reviews I was positively surprised by San Francisco Airport. Arrived on an international flight on Friday evening with United. No wait at immigration at all! Officer was very friendly, baggage delivery was quick and I was out approx 20 mins after leaving the aircraft. Next morning cdeparted on a domestic flight. Security was fast (wait time hardly 3 mins - ok, admittedly I could take the first class line, but the normal one was also very short) so I had plenty of time for coffee. Directions in the terminal were clearly marked and I found it easy to navigate.

"customs is terrible"

Customs is terrible, it has been for the past three years, long lines to get first to the computer that takes your picture and passport information and then through to the agent. Hundreds of people waiting and only three agents to serve you. Makes you wonder where your tax dollars go.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"avoid for international arrivals"

Avoid San Francisco airport for international arrivals. I travel to Asia frequently. Leaving SFO was not a problem. Getting home was very difficult. There were about 1000 people in the US citizen line upon our arrival. We had an hour to get to our connecting flights. We asked several workers who said that we needed to get in line. Previously at other airports and here we received cards to bypass the lines for our transfers. But not now! We asked people in line if we could cut to make our flights and they allowed us but there were still a couple of hundred people ahead. After sprinting with our carts of luggage we made the planes at the last minute. One was held a few minutes for 2 of our group. Seattle will be my airport from now on.

"such a waste of time"

We spent over two hours to pass immigration. The new self-service machines have increased the queue times at this airport. They are such a waste of time since almost everybody is still sent to regular interview where they take the pictures again and validate the documents again.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"worst for immigration queuing time"

(Indonesia)

San Francisco is the worst airport for immigration queuing time. Only 3 counters open. I waited for more than an hour for a stamp, not to mention the rude staff that keep yelling at the passengers. I thought America has the best airports, by looking at the advancement in the country. I was wrong. The airport in my hometown in Jakarta is even better at queuing time for immigration. Do note that my country is still a "developing" country they said.
Date VisitDecember 2016