Top 100 Airlines

San Francisco Airport

"food options are limited and expensive"

(South Africa)

San Francisco is my home airport. It has some serious problems. Severe delays due to weather are extremely common all year. The worst I've ever experienced was 4 hours. The terminals are also poorly organized. Terminal 3 is strictly for domestic UA flights. Terminal 1 is also domestic-only and all other airlines. Terminal 2 is strictly international. If you have a connecting flight on a different airline, be prepared to walk a long way. The security lines are longer and slower than most US airports. The food options are very limited and all are expensive. The employees at security, UA customer service are all very rude.
Date VisitJune 2016

"best airport in the US"

Unless you're flying out of the dreadful Terminal 1, SFO is the best airport in the US. We flew United from Terminal 3, a thoroughly modernized relic of the 1970s (the 1950s if you take into account the original design). Check-in is pretty efficient, but the gamble is with security, which can be very congested, even sometimes with TSA Pre-Check. In our case it was very quick indeed, but we were going through at midday. Shops and services throughout Terminal 3 are excellent as is United's main club at the junction of two main piers. The airport is airy and open and hold areas are reasonable. Things get even better if you are flying through either of the International Terminals or the completely renovated Terminal 2.
Date VisitJune 2016

"signage is clear and easy to follow"

San Francisco is a modern airport. Excellent selection for food both outside and inside the gate area. Free Wifi is excellent. Signage is clear and easy to follow. Airport Staff seems nice except for the UA Boarding agents on my flight who all looked miserable and did not smile. I always enjoy SFO airport. Very clean.
Date VisitApril 2016

"security is also good and thorough"

I usually depart out of SFO for both International and Domestic. In the first weekend of May 2016, right before the peak of a proposed busy season due to a good economy, airport security was smooth. My flight was delayed as my handy TripIt app informs me of any changes so I wasn't too worried. The staff here are friendly. Security is also good and thorough. Lines were long but it is to be expected especially since I do not have TSA Pre Check. For this trip I traveled Domestic to PDX. Airport was great but delayed flight out was a nightmare. Rainy weather in early May what a drag. When I took a trip back in April 2016 same thing flight delayed. I flew Virgin America each time. I do not think it mattered too much in terms of airline, it was mostly the weather out of the airport. That is my biggest gripe flying out of SFO. Otherwise, great security and employees. Also, another thing I do like about SFO is that there are filtered water stations immediately after security. Bring your reusable bottle and refill.
Date VisitMay 2016

"left scouring the walls "

I came in from XNA looking at a 3 hour hold over. I have been in a lot of airports but the terminal for the United gates were very sub par. My biggest complaint is that there is almost no places for travelers to charge phones or plug in laptops. They have one area that seats 8, as in eight people with a desk and outlet. Other than that, you are left scouring the walls looking for a way to plug in your phone. Even small airports today have gate seating areas with outlets and USB ports. You'd think that a major airport like San Francisco would be up to date. Food options lack as well. The food options you do have are very expensive. They think every traveler is a millionaire.
Date VisitApril 2016

"food options very mediocre"

Travelling from SFO to Japan using the international terminal. Because of a long layover and an after midnight departure I was looking forward to having a decent meal prior. SFO it appears to feature mostly Japanese buffet/fast food options. An upscale Japanese restaurant was featured on their dining options chart for the North Area food court but there didn't appear to be any sign of the restaurant itself. I wish Stone Brewery had a dining facility here like they have in Terminal 3 because it is badly needed. Not sure what Firewood Grill is doing at SFO because the quality of their food options for a sit down dinner were very mediocre at best. The International Terminal is otherwise very spacious, airy and welcoming.
Date VisitFebruary 2016

"check-in was painless and quick"

Check-in was painless and quick. Having travelled through SFO airport before I knew to eat before you pass security as food places after are poor. Going through security was a little slow (took about 30-mins) but the people in charge seemed friendly and chatty - unlike Boston. Wi-Fi was good and quick. Getting to my gate was a little walk but nothing too strenuous. Overall SFO airport is pretty good and I won't mind travelling in/out of there again.
Date VisitOctober 2015

"immigration was well organised"

Arrived at San Francisco international Terminal at 8am after long flight from Sydney. Quickly through immigration which was well organised with bags appearing a little time later. Selected for customs search which was also quick and courteous. Bag drop queue non existent. Through pre TSA at T3 without delays. From landing to waiting at the gate for our ongoing flight in T3 around 45 minutes. SFO certainly had its act together on this occasion.
Date VisitOctober 2015

"SFO has totally dropped the ball"

This is for the International terminal flying with BA on the north side. We arrived on BART then took the light rail to the terminal. Check-in was a bit of a walk from the light rail, but we aren't old. We had arrived early for the earlier of the two BA flights so security was quiet and fast. But that's the end of the good news. SFO has totally dropped the ball. I don't want to hang around before security because I want to get the chore out of the way. But after security there is almost nothing but bathrooms and gate seating. There's a small cafe serving plastic wrapped food near security, a crummy little over priced personal pizza and plastic wrapped food restaurant right at the end on the right and an expensive and thoroughly disappointing coffee shop on the left. There are no proper sit down restaurants. The only stores are the over priced duty free and the usual tourist junk stores. There's no good book shop, there's no pub, there's no waited table service. There isn't even a cafeteria or food court style restaurant. They built this huge terminal with it's millions of dollars taller than it has any need to be statement of a check-in hall but they forgot all about the fact that people want to pass their waiting time in the departure lounge in some comfort. It's more like a railway station than an airport. For a heavy jet it seems to take ages to taxi for takeoff from the east-west runways, but it is all factored in to the expected duration, so relax, you are leaving and someone will finally provide, oh right, airplane food. Why couldn't I get a decent meal at the airport? Returning to SFO we had booked a rental car, cheaper than a taxi and much more pleasant than a shuttle, we did a one way to KOAK which is just a few miles from home and cut out the waiting and sharing and discomfort. The aircraft taxi time is a lot less for arrivals. We got off the plane promptly but some other flights were in too. Immigration now has electronic service. I hope you look like you. But they haven't improved baggage handling. Airports like Manchester in the UK should give masterclasses to the sluggard baggage handlers at SFO, I have got off the front of an A330 in Manchester, flashed my European passport in the EU lane and walked straight in to the baggage claim to see my bag already waiting for me there. No danger of that at SFO. Any time will do. Even with a nearly new and purpose designed facility they are in no hurry to do their job. So we stand and wait and wait. Eventually the bags turn up. Show the paperwork to the customs guy and you are on your way. Out the door through the throng of people not waiting for us then follow the signs up to the light rail and a few minutes later you are deposited at the car rental facility. I am a frequent renter with several companies, this time I took Alamo and we were in the car and leaving inside of ten minutes after getting off the train. Join the loyalty programs, they are well worth the time. We can go over the Bay Bridge or San Mateo, both are about the same distance and both are well sign posted from the car rental exit. Basically turn right then follow the signs to US101, unless you are going somewhere else.
Date VisitAugust 2015

San Francisco Airport customer review

Arrived on a United Airlines Boeing 747 from London. We landed 15 minutes early at 1pm only to be told there was a plane in our gate and we would have to wait until around 1.30pm for that plane to leave. At 1.45pm, the plane had finally left and we started moving to the gate. Then the other plane had to return to the gate because of an emergency. Leaving us still waiting on the tarmac for another 20 minutes. Finally they moved us to another gate and we were able to disembark. There should have been better organisation at the airport to prevent such delays. When we got inside the terminal we had to walk a long distance to the immigration desks where there was a very long queue. Many of the desks were closed and the area was totally unprepared for the numbers of people coming through despite it being mid-afternoon. There were no staff controlling the queues so some people were able to skip ahead of others. Very badly organised. Finally got through to baggage claim. There were a number of other people at the carousel and we waited for our luggage for ages. Then we realised that the luggage from our flight had been taken off and left aside. Nobody from the airport or airline bothered to tell us where our luggage was. Really poor experience this time at SFO.
Date VisitAugust 2015