San Francisco Airport

"improved markedly"

Verified Review | We flew from Terminal 3, the base for United's domestic operations. Things have improved markedly at San Francisco over the past couple of years. Terminal 3 has been thoroughly modernized and has many state-of-the-art features. United's clubs, at gate 69 and in the satellite concourse, are both among their better clubs. Check-in is well-spaced and efficient. Security, long a problem for Terminal 3, seems to have been configured to move quickly. We were flying at midday and experienced no wait at TSA Pre-check. As an aside, I'm also familiar with SFO's international concourses. They are among the best in the US, with lots of facilities and efficient boarding areas.

"officials were pleasant"

Customs and immigration with a returning ESTA was reasonably quick using the newish kiosks. All the officials were pleasant which has not always been the case previously. Bags were quickly available and their onward checking efficient. Security check into T3 was also quick and painless. Plenty of places to eat and drink before heading for gate lounge. Lots of seating, easy to read departure boards, clean rest rooms and well organised boarding procedure. No complaints at all.
Date VisitMay 2017

"out 20 mins after leaving the aircraft"

(Austria)

After reading all these negative reviews I was positively surprised by San Francisco Airport. Arrived on an international flight on Friday evening with United. No wait at immigration at all! Officer was very friendly, baggage delivery was quick and I was out approx 20 mins after leaving the aircraft. Next morning cdeparted on a domestic flight. Security was fast (wait time hardly 3 mins - ok, admittedly I could take the first class line, but the normal one was also very short) so I had plenty of time for coffee. Directions in the terminal were clearly marked and I found it easy to navigate.

"customs is terrible"

Customs is terrible, it has been for the past three years, long lines to get first to the computer that takes your picture and passport information and then through to the agent. Hundreds of people waiting and only three agents to serve you. Makes you wonder where your tax dollars go.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"avoid for international arrivals"

Avoid San Francisco airport for international arrivals. I travel to Asia frequently. Leaving SFO was not a problem. Getting home was very difficult. There were about 1000 people in the US citizen line upon our arrival. We had an hour to get to our connecting flights. We asked several workers who said that we needed to get in line. Previously at other airports and here we received cards to bypass the lines for our transfers. But not now! We asked people in line if we could cut to make our flights and they allowed us but there were still a couple of hundred people ahead. After sprinting with our carts of luggage we made the planes at the last minute. One was held a few minutes for 2 of our group. Seattle will be my airport from now on.

"such a waste of time"

We spent over two hours to pass immigration. The new self-service machines have increased the queue times at this airport. They are such a waste of time since almost everybody is still sent to regular interview where they take the pictures again and validate the documents again.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"worst for immigration queuing time"

(Indonesia)

San Francisco is the worst airport for immigration queuing time. Only 3 counters open. I waited for more than an hour for a stamp, not to mention the rude staff that keep yelling at the passengers. I thought America has the best airports, by looking at the advancement in the country. I was wrong. The airport in my hometown in Jakarta is even better at queuing time for immigration. Do note that my country is still a "developing" country they said.
Date VisitDecember 2016

"so many people willing to help me"

Verified Review | I want to thank the staff that helped me find my lost briefcase which I foolishly left in a bathroom after arriving to San Francisco from a long flight. The ground floor baggage office, the oversize baggage office, the cleaning staff, the lost and found office and the Qantas desk. Also all the various TSA, police officers and information desk staff. All these people in one way or another were so helpful and never just told me tough luck. There was nothing of particular value in the briefcase, just a lot of items which I collected on my trip, but nevertheless I wanted to keep. It is hard to believe in such a major airport so many people would be so willing to help me. I was especially impressed with the downstairs luggage office in the international terminal who very willingly contacted a staff member who quickly checked the plane and searched it for the briefcase. The lost and found police officer did more than have me fill out a form and quickly confirmed that the briefcase had been found and returned to Qantas.
Date VisitOctober 2016

"the worst airport experience"

We flew into the SF domestic terminal from Newark with United Airlines, with a 6 hour wait before flying Qantas to Sydney. Because my mother-in-law needs wheelchair assistance, the plan was to meet her at the Qantas departure gate. However, she wasn't there and nobody at all in the airport was able to assist us. I spoke with about 25 staff about the misplaced family member but all they could do was direct me to others who sent me on a wild goose chase for five hours. Even though numerous PA announcements were made for my mother-in-law, when she approched counter staff she was rudely ignored. Most of the staff, including the company responsible for delivering her to the wrong gate on the other side of the huge airport, seemed unconerned about the plight with absolutely no procedure for missing wheelchair passengers. I only found her after going through three security checks to various sections of the airport. As a regular traveller for over 30 years, this would have to be the worst airport experience of my life. San Francisco Airport is callous, rude and incompetent.
Date VisitOctober 2016

"food options are limited and expensive"

(South Africa)

San Francisco is my home airport. It has some serious problems. Severe delays due to weather are extremely common all year. The worst I've ever experienced was 4 hours. The terminals are also poorly organized. Terminal 3 is strictly for domestic UA flights. Terminal 1 is also domestic-only and all other airlines. Terminal 2 is strictly international. If you have a connecting flight on a different airline, be prepared to walk a long way. The security lines are longer and slower than most US airports. The food options are very limited and all are expensive. The employees at security, UA customer service are all very rude.
Date VisitJune 2016