Rome Fiumicino Airport

Review by (Sweden) 4th July 2015

We arrived early to the airport. We looked at the boards and went to the assigned desk. To our surprise there were several people in front of the desk and only a couple behind it. We joined the line. Quite soon we noticed that the line didn't move at all. In one hour no more than 10 people passed through the desk. Note: we had done check-in, all we wanted to do was drop the luggage. It took us more than two hrs to do a luggage drop. It took us four hrs to go from Sorrento to Rome. Our experience at the airport was crazy. Let me also add that the flight was late in leaving the gate.
Date Visit04-07-2015

Review by (Spain) 28th June 2015

Beverages and food really expensive, staff rude and indifferent to the customer. The air conditioner machines were dripping liquid, delays for the transit when we arrived here.
Date Visit28-06-2015

Review by (Japan) 27th June 2015

The day for boarding to international flight, we arrived at FCO airport 3.5 hours before. But arrived to the boarding gate was only 15 minutes before flight. On the long long way to the boarding gate, we just waited like a fool in unknown space (crowded with a tons of people) of the way to the gate - it took 2 hours to go to the gate.
Date Visit27-06-2015

Review by (Croatia) 26th June 2015

The worst thing is baggage claim upon arrival. I waited for 2,5 hours for my baggage. First they changed baggage claim lines 3 times and then they let us wait for more than 2,5 hours by the wrong line. Not to mention how crowded it was. When I was departing from FCO my flight was delayed and I missed the connecting flight in Vienna. The airport is constantly crowded and noisy, queues everywhere. The signs could be clearer. Security check was relatively short but I waited for boarding one hour. Only bright side is unlimited WIFI, although slow. Connection with Rome is decent, you can choose train, multiple buses or taxi.
Date Visit26-06-2015

Review by (United Kingdom) 25th June 2015

This is possibly the worst airport in Europe. We passed through yesterday returning from holiday and were treated with disrespect and indifference. Due to flight cancellations we were forced to spend over 7 hours here. Firstly upon arrival we were very rudely told to sit outside in what could best be described as cattle pens exposed to constant traffic noise and fumes, and cigarette smoke from airport staff. Absolutely no information whatsoever was given as to why we were put there or for how long. I eventually ventured into Terminal 5 and approached BA desk and staff told me to go back to the waiting area, I was told I could not re enter the terminal until 1215 - 3 hours later. Eventually we were allowed into the terminal and were shrugged through to a queue to check in - we duly queued after checking we were in the right queue at right time and this confirmed, we got to the counter and were told we could not check in because they were still checking the flight before ours. We were furious by now as one might understand however went to back of long queue. I then approached a BA staff member and he sorted things out quickly and we got checked through within 5 minutes. The next 3 hours were a little more tolerable but the damage was done.
Date Visit25-06-2015

Review by (United Kingdom) 24th June 2015

I have travelled through this airport and never failed to be appalled by the staff and facilities. In the good old days one could take walking sticks on board the aircraft - now one has the indignity of having to put them in the hold with the subsequent delay of 1 hour to retrieve them. I have watched the baggage handlers from the terminal and in anyone's language they are so slow - they make a snail seem fast. Staff walking around with arms around each other and continual chatting as if customers do not exist. My process this time was appalling other than for speed of immigration. T3 is poorly designed and getting to the car hire with luggage a nightmare, with lifts out of action. Sadly I don't think a wake up call is the answer.
Date Visit24-06-2015

Review by (Japan) 23rd June 2015

Rome Fiumicino really does need to lift it's game as the major airport for the capital city. I fly regularly in and out of this airport, so my comments are based on experience. However, my recent experience would have to take the cake. The airbridge did not work and it took quite some time for ground staff to arrange stairs for passengers to disembark the aircraft. The baggage claim area in terminal 1 was chaotic and passengers had to wait for 1.5hrs for their bags to arrive. It was terrible and not what you want to experience after a long haul flight. There were no personnel around to offer any explanations as to what was happening on when passengers could expect their luggage. Travellers missed connecting flights, train connections and I was delayed 3 hours on arrival. The toilets were not clean and the general appearance of the airport is becoming more tired and lacks a friendly welcoming approach from staff - if you can find them. Not a great experience at all for a major European city that welcomes so many visitors. Not a great first impression.
Date Visit23-06-2015

Review by (United Kingdom) 19th June 2015

Our flight to London was required to use Terminal 5 due to a recent fire damage to Terminal 3. We required disability assistance and arrived early, so as usual when arriving too early we did have to wait for other flights to clear before we proceeded through check-in, border control, etc. Terminal 5 is not as luxurious as 3, however the facilities were reasonably comfortable and although very few of our fellow passengers were stressed, the airport staff did well to assist us and certainly took notice if asked politely for help. (It is also most important to travel with an airline that provides assistance and liaison with the airport). When I said I was leaving the waiting area to buy some water, I was told that free bottled water was available and this was brought quickly and offered to everyone waiting. In due time we were transferred by shuttle bus to the normal departure gates in the satellite, where first class facilities are available.
Date Visit19-06-2015

Review by (United States) 18th June 2015

I have read many negative comments regarding this airport, and most of them are related to an individual experience rather than to an overall experience. The airport is clean, it has been partly reconstructed over the last few years, so most of its infrastructures are new. I didn't experience any delay or discomfort while traveling in this airport. It is well connected to city centre and train stations (Termini and Tiburtina) so you can reach any other part of Italy.
Date Visit18-06-2015
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure

Review by (Canada) 18th June 2015

This is by far the worst airport experience I have ever had. The staff are rude, impolite and arrogant. They seem to go out of their way to avoid eye contact and therefore having to respond to any questions. We arrived with what we thought was ample time to make a connection. Once we had our bags we proceeded to the connecting airline bag drop. We had already checked in on line. This turned out to be of no value time wise. The woman at the bag drop sat and chatted with a colleague while the queue grew. She did nothing. When she finally opened up her desk we had lost half an hour. She told us we were over weight on one bag. It had been underweight on the flight we had just come in on. We took out one jacked which made the difference. Then she told us we had to hurry, our departure gate was about to close. We rushed to our departure gate only to find our flight was actually delayed for an hour. When that gate opened, there were two people at two check in desks. These two chatted and laughed with a third who subsequently left. They carried on with their conversation while the crowd grew and fumed. There was no order, no lines. The guy, officious at best, started to take the 'fast track' passengers first. This took about 20 minutes before they began to accept the rest of the passengers. At the moment I am at Heathrow. This is a model of efficiency, orderly with staff who are helpful. Heightens the contrast of the Rome airport experience. I will never travel through the Rome airport again.
Date Visit15-06-2015