Vote Now

Rome Fiumicino Airport

"chaos and frustration"

Verified Review | Fiumicino is trying to be anything but a decent airport. There are certain characteristics which overall make up a pleasurable travel experience and Fiumicino really doesn't achieve any of them. Our arrival to Rome was later than expected, due to an airport error. When we finally touched down, we were herded onto two small, cramped buses to then be taken back to the main airport terminal. It took at least 45 minutes to fill up the buses and then wait for them to leave. The way the buses were ordered meant our front of the plane seat resulted in us being at the back of the immigration line. Luckily it was late, so it didn't take us too long, however, the entire chaos of just getting to the terminal was enough to leave a negative impression. The airport is substantially far away from the centre of Rome. Getting a bus there took almost an entire hour, something I also underestimated. However, the true flaws of the airport were uncovered upon our departure back to London Gatwick. At first glance, the new redone Terminal 2 departures seemed sleek, modern and clean. I was impressed with the design. However, beneath that glossy finish was further chaos and frustration. My girlfriend and I hadn't had much to eat the entire day, however, there was the only choice between around four or five cafe options. Two of them sold the same repetitive cheese in Italian bread with other unvaried options. Another one of them was, of course, a pizzeria, there also was what seemed like a Korean diner and takeaway. Lastly was a luxury restaurant. Beneath that was an entire wasted floor of luxury clothing stores (Gucci, Versace, Prada) which nobody was in/can afford. We originally opted to get some food from the Korean place (as we'd had nothing but Italian our entire trip) and take it to our gate. After dealing with extremely rude and lazy workers who would only sell a 10 euro box of rice to go, and took 15 minutes to even take our order, we opted out and settled for the basic Italian bread and cheese place. Terminal seating was minimal, and downstairs you could just see individuals spread out, either on the floor or the red modern cushion bench thing outside the luxury stores. It wasn't ideal. The bathrooms were also a letdown. They seemed modern, sleek and clean - but the technology was broken - the automatic toilets kept flushing and wouldn't stop, no matter what cubical. My girlfriend complained about the same thing. The terminal signing was inadequate, of course, we eventually got to our gate, but there was no mention of the need to get a monorail (which took an additional 10 minutes). There was also no mention that there would a duty-free by the gates (strange place?). However, there was nobody working in the duty-free when I sought to buy some candy so I couldn't buy anything. Our flight back to London was delayed by an hour, due to goodness knows why - but there was completely no instruction about the change of gate on any signposting, further giving us more anxiety about just getting on the plane home. Once again, we had to do the whole bus thing to get on the plane which was long. Somehow, our bus made it to the plane, but the other bus didn't - and we had to wait on the flight for about 30 extra minutes just to wait for these people to get to the plane, which is rather odd seeing as both of our buses left at the same time. It was completely ridiculous. This airport is painful to travel to/from and I do not recommend it.
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"security controls have been improved"

(Italy)

Verified Review | The security controls at Rome Fiumicino terminal 3 have been improved. The boarding pass check is electronic, resulting in a good saving of time. Around the check in desks I found not too many screens to identify the check in desk for my flight, I had to walk around for a while. After the security check, the signs are clear. Very good shops in the D area, covering a lot of different items. The staff are efficient and kind. Clean bathrooms with sensor systems to open water, provide the soap and dry the hands, allowing me to wash my hands without touching anything. The seats around the gate are not enough according to me, especially if your gate is D8, D9 or D10.
Date VisitNovember 2016

"facilities were completely overloaded on all levels"

Transited through FCO twice and experienced two different worlds. Arriving on an international flight at 6.30 am on a Saturday, FCO was a dream. Immigration and transfer to the domestic terminal went very quickly. The airport was clean and new and empty. I enjoyed a nice cappuccino at the gate with the extra time I had. FCO gets an A+ for that experience. Arriving on a domestic flight and transferring to an international one was a completely different experience. FCO was a complete mess with construction, crowds, and poor signage. Facilities were completely overloaded on all levels. Due to Alitalia service problems, I had to get my bag and check in again. I only had 2.5 hours to get my bag, repeatedly ask for directions, take three buses, check in, and stand in lines for everything. All passengers departing on international flights were running around in a panic not knowing what was going on. The entire time I did not know whether I would make my flight. I arrived at the gate sweaty but happy to be there. The international terminal (Term. 5) is new. The seating is indeed completely inadequate as others have noted, but the food and restroom options are also completely overwhelmed by the crowds. If you want to buy duty free items or a high end handbag or a Swiss watch, then Terminal 5 is well-designed. If you want to buy a bottle of water or grab some food before you board your flight, forget it. Those facilities do not exist in Terminal 5. The restrooms were beautiful in their design but grossly inadequate in the number of actual toilets provided for thousands of departing passengers. (I thought this was a theme at FCO in general - great in appearance / design but poor in execution). By the time I got through the lines at the ladies room, most of the toilets were clogged without toilet paper. Most of the sinks did not work so that it was difficult to wash your hands as well. The situation in all of the other ladies rooms I saw was just as dire. It is truly a shame. I agree with the reviewer that one should allow no less than three hours for this experience. Even those travelers originating from Rome found this to be true. Arriving at FCO two hours before your international flight departs is not enough time to navigate this mess.
Date VisitOctober 2016

"huge delays at immigration"

(Serbia)

When all goes well, FCO is a tolerable airport. However, as many other reviewers, I had an opportunity to experience huge delays at immigration, which ultimately made me miss my flight. It is not the delays I'm upset about, but the blatant discrimination. Sure, there are EU and non-EU lines and that's all good. But once in the non-EU line, there was only 1 counter open for all incoming transit passengers. And the guy was taking his time. Then, he decided that US passport holders should have priority. So 20 or so people went to the front of the queue. After all the Americans went through, he called for any Australian and Canadian passport holders. 20 more. Only then did he decide to go around and check boarding times of other people waiting. His explanation: "you are non-Schengen". Sure. Congrats to USA, Australia and Canada joining the EU, I must have missed that one. We ended up missing our flight and being stuck at FCO for 8 hours waiting for next flight to final destination in Italy. This was only due to poor organization and total lack of any coordination.
Date VisitOctober 2016

"poorly designed and operated facility"

(Egypt)

We transferred through Rome twice in 2 weeks on a recent trip. This airport is a complete joke and embarrassment to the country. I have never seen such a poorly designed, equipped, and operated facility. There is not one redeeming quality that I can comment on. If you have to fly through this airport (connect/transit), give yourself a minimum of 3 hours and be prepared to stand the entire time in absurdly long lines with poor ventilation and completely unhelpful and frustrated employees. The immigration officers are particularly noteworthy as they seem to delight in the plight of the thousands of people in line worrying if they will miss their flight. Truly shameful.
Date VisitSeptember 2016

"cold metal chairs"

(Finland)

Rome Fiumicino airport and surroundings were quite clean and as expected. Unfortunately we arrived really early for a morning flight from Rome to Cagliari. There was literally no one in the airport and still the staff managed to be rude. They were making us hurry at security check when there was absolutely no lines. There was nowhere to rest but cold metal chairs and the 'relaxing' area was a joke - there was few lounging chairs infront of an ATM maschine.
Date VisitAugust 2016

"not how we want to remember Rome"

There are some serious management issues at Rome Fiumicino airport. We landed from Dubai in the early afternoon, on a full A380 flight, meaning more than 500 passengers. On the way out of the airplane and towards passport control, the line for the passport control counters started at the bottom of the last escalator and hundreds of people queued at the same time. I could see to the left an electronic counter for EU and CH biometric passports, and on our flights there were a lot of Italian / EU passengers, who were still waiting on the "all passports" line because none of the airport staff bothered to come and encourage them to use the electronic counter. Second thing, due to some kind of renovation works I assume, there was absolutely no ventilation in this area, also, no proper lines formed leading to the counters, because half of the space was closed. Half of the hall was empty and the other half full of hundreds of passengers pushing each other for more than an hour. The staff themselves were absolutely disorganized. We were approaching the counters (after more than 40 minutes in the line already), when one of the airport staff opened the line for around 20-30 people right behind me directing them to one of the passport control desks and she didn't let us go through. I explained she wasn't being fair and her response was "your line will be quicker". It is a matter of principle after all we were all waiting on the same line. So we waited for another 30 minutes till we reached the immigration counter and the people she let go ahead of us were long gone. We were stuck in a line to get to passport control counters for about 1hour 15 minutes. Of course, due to the long waiting time the driver we booked was gone. It is a shame because Rome is such a beautiful city and I would assume that most of the people coming here are holidaymakers. This is not how we want to remember Rome, this is not how anyone would want to start their holidays.
Date VisitAugust 2016

"very limited seats at each gate"

This airport seemed very efficient up until waiting at the gates. The security and customs moved very quickly and every line was open. We took a shuttle to our gate section. We were a group of six travelling together. We arrive at our gate section only to look around and see very limited seats at each gate. Approximately 50 seats at each gate when these planes hold 200. It's unfortunate to see such a major airport in a big city not being able to provide seats to travellers and watching everyone having to find space on the floor in order to rest 2 hours before their flight.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"lack of seating"

A joke of an airport. The food choices are poor and expensive and the staff are all grumpy and do not attempt to make your experience smooth. The main issue is the lack of seating. Not only is it uncomfortable, but there is simply not enough. I did not expect to find myself waiting for a flight sat on the floor. Would not recommend you fly from here.

"confusing signs"

Avoid if you can. Taxis operators not willing to take anywhere apart from the centre of Rome. You have to use a 3rd party which rip you off (you might be able to haggle the price down). Terrible food options. Long queues. Unhelpful staff. Confusing signs. Probably the worst experience at an international airport I have had. Thank goodness for their wifi service.
Date VisitJuly 2016