Rome Fiumicino Airport

"it is very well organized"

Unverified | It is a very big airport, it is very well organized and everyone is polite. It has a very good connection with the center of Rome. It is the cleanest airport I have ever seen along with Dubai and Zurich airports. It is too big and has a great variety of shops, where you can prepare for your flight.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"It is now one of the best"

Verified Review | I have been going through Fiumicino Airport at least 20 times/year for the past 20 years. For several years it used to be one of the worst airports on almost all accounts. It is now one of the best. Security and passport control have improved dramatically and it rarely takes more than 10 min for the entire process. The new terminal E is great for shopping and for eating/drinking. The Wifi service is excellent and it is free (when I am in the BA lounge, I ignore their Wifi, which is worthless, and use instead the free one provided by the airport).
Date VisitJuly 2017

"a civilized functioning place"

Unverified | I recently used Fiumicino three times - to connect from an international flight to a domestic flight, to arrive on a domestic flight, and to depart on an international flight. Overall, I was satisfied with the cleanliness, signage, modern bathrooms (with running water in the sink, liquid soap, and electric dryer side by side), and spaciousness. The transit involved a long walk and we were amazed that there were only two of us who was "exiting" into the domestic section and there were two agents who readily stamped our passports. The departure was by a bus to the plane parked far off on the tarmac. The bus was packed and having boarding zone #1 on the boarding pass made no difference as everyone rushed out of the bus to clamber up the staircase! Flying into Rome, the plane was again parked away from the terminal but the bus was prompt and quick and it was a breeze to get out of the terminal. Followed the signs and a long walk on moving sideways to the Leonardo express train where bought tickets using English language instructions. Attendants helped us validate the ticket and we were on the train where the ticket checker helped passengers find seats by moving luggage around. Returning was again surprisingly smooth. We took the train back and followed the signs to E terminal. The security check for flights to the U.S. was separate and there was hardly anyone. The immigration check area looked busy but our queue moved fast and no fuss. We walked into shops -- similar to any major international airport. The E terminal was quite a distance away and we went into an Alitalia lounge. It was small, crowded, and hot. Food and drinks were limited and two assistants helped with getting you those. The lounge did not offer the quiet and class that was available at JFK. Outside the lounge, a flight up was a Musei Vatican gift shop where I picked up a few last minute souvenirs. The flight time was posted and at the gate there was a huge crowd. The boarding went smoothly, the electronic boarding pass on my i-Phone worked and we were ushered into our seats. All in all, Fiumicino was a civilized functioning place - easy to get to and leave by the express train -- with all elements working. The lounge could be better, the bus rides to and fro from the planes could be less chaotic but otherwise, And the best part was that all the Alitalia flights I took were on time.
Date VisitJune 2017

"quite possibly the worst airport ever"

(New Zealand)

Verified Review | Takes a longer than average time to taxi to offload. Pushy desperate people trying to get front of queue. Skytrain was packed, I mean packed, the control doors would not close so more shuffling. A long trip, poorly signposted to passport control. Then a nearly 2 hours long winding queue to get to counter. Then guards lazy, yawning like they could not be bothered. Then after a long wait with a family in front of us guard went off duty! No warning, we had to go to another counter. Very annoying. Rome is quite possibly the worst airport ever.
Date VisitJune 2017

"food selection is awful"

Verified Review | Rome Fiumicino Airport is the worst airport we have ever been in. Except for the people in Customs and the police, the people who work at the airport are lazy, rude and impatient at best. They will not help you at all. All you'll get is "I'm too busy". The food selection is awful. Nothing but heavy meals, heavy pastries and heavy sandwiches or pizza, even for breakfast. Although you can get a smoothie, there is absolutely nothing healthy to eat or purchase from the stores. Mostly candy, chocolate and chips. Not one cafe knows how to make a proper cup of tea, although my wife did like the coffee. The cleaning staff spend more time chit chatting and walking around in baby steps instead of during their job. It takes forever to get a table cleaned off. The layout and direction signs in, and outside the terminals are awful. The bathrooms are clean and modern. If this is Rome's idea of welcoming tourists to it's city, they are in trouble.
Date VisitJune 2017

"FCO is growing and growing"

(Italy)

Verified Review | Fiumicino airport has been in the past years one of the most chaotic "western" airports with lot of problems and very bad reputation but, in the last two years is growing in terms of hospitality movement of people, security, special assistance and services. In December the new E area has been inaugurated in perfect time (following the time frame for the technical works) and now the airport has modern hospitality area for six extra million of people. The principal court is a food court with all the excellency from Italy and Rome Region (including fresh mozzarella) and gourmet food from Michelin Three Star Heinz Beck. After the fire that compromised part of the old terminal now the airport is quite new with more than 200 shops of all the principal brands of made in Italy, bathrooms are clean and cleaned every hour, transport services with Leonardo Express (to central station, a little bit expensive but actually a brand new and efficient train), buses to Rome and principal towns in Italy (including Marche Region, Tuscany and Naples) are quite perfect. In the last Year Alitalia is decreasing with its traffic (Fiumicino is the principal hub and it's hub also for Vueling, Mistral Airline, Blue Panorama, Meridiana and some other companies) but Ryanair is experimenting the code sharing and Norwegian is starting direct low cost flights to US and is studying the possibility to flight directly to Africa due to the excellent position of the airport. FCO is the only airport receiving all the principal 5 Chinese companies and with its two direct flight per day to Doha, Abu Dhabi and Dubai, allow with one stop to go all over the world. Last but not least Aerolineas Argentinas has launched a new flight to Rome from Buenos Aires allowing people to fly with one stop wherever in Argentina and South America. FCO is growing and growing and it's foreseen to receive 60 MLN of people in 2022 and for this reason will soon start the building of a new terminal and the fourth track.
Date VisitMay 2017

"many annoyed rude people here"

Verified Review | First of all the custom tax window staff at Rome Fiumicino Airport was very rude. Easily got annoyed and spoke very tidily without really explaining much. Just didn't want to be here. Perhaps they should get a different job if so unhappy, instead of putting tourists in bad mood. It only takes one person to ruin your mood sometimes. Told me I had to show a printout boarding pass and they won't accept the boarding pass on smartphone. So I went over to the kiosk even though I already checked in online and had the boarding pass in my smartphone. Two staff at the self check in kiosk couldn't help me print my boarding pass. The second staff gave up and told me to get in the long line to get in printed since she couldn't figure it out. I didn't feel like waiting so I tried it on my own in English and got it printed first try. Even the cafe clerk was rude. They really need to work on keeping their employees happy or hire people with great personalities. I won't be coming back to Rome again. So many annoyed rude people here. I guess they got sick and tired of same excited happy tourists. Makes me wonder if they realize how much money tourists bring to the city and we go back home and tell others and post about our experiences.
Date VisitMay 2017

"Total disregard for customers"

Verified Review | There are no British Airlines employees at this airport. Agents behind the counter work for the airport and seem to only have minimal training. We were delayed for 2 days because of repeated technical issues with planes and the staff were not experienced nor educated enough to handle the rescheduling of flights. Many agents were frustrated that they had to re-issues new flights when they usually only "gave out boarding passes". Many agents were using reference books and the young girl assisting me started crying because she was so frustrated . It took her 40 minutes to issue me new tickets and I never made those flights because of delays. Kiosks are minimal also. I will never fly out of Rome again nor will I ever fly with BA again. Total disregard for customers.

"chaos and frustration"

Verified Review | Fiumicino is trying to be anything but a decent airport. There are certain characteristics which overall make up a pleasurable travel experience and Fiumicino really doesn't achieve any of them. Our arrival to Rome was later than expected, due to an airport error. When we finally touched down, we were herded onto two small, cramped buses to then be taken back to the main airport terminal. It took at least 45 minutes to fill up the buses and then wait for them to leave. The way the buses were ordered meant our front of the plane seat resulted in us being at the back of the immigration line. Luckily it was late, so it didn't take us too long, however, the entire chaos of just getting to the terminal was enough to leave a negative impression. The airport is substantially far away from the centre of Rome. Getting a bus there took almost an entire hour, something I also underestimated. However, the true flaws of the airport were uncovered upon our departure back to London Gatwick. At first glance, the new redone Terminal 2 departures seemed sleek, modern and clean. I was impressed with the design. However, beneath that glossy finish was further chaos and frustration. My girlfriend and I hadn't had much to eat the entire day, however, there was the only choice between around four or five cafe options. Two of them sold the same repetitive cheese in Italian bread with other unvaried options. Another one of them was, of course, a pizzeria, there also was what seemed like a Korean diner and takeaway. Lastly was a luxury restaurant. Beneath that was an entire wasted floor of luxury clothing stores (Gucci, Versace, Prada) which nobody was in/can afford. We originally opted to get some food from the Korean place (as we'd had nothing but Italian our entire trip) and take it to our gate. After dealing with extremely rude and lazy workers who would only sell a 10 euro box of rice to go, and took 15 minutes to even take our order, we opted out and settled for the basic Italian bread and cheese place. Terminal seating was minimal, and downstairs you could just see individuals spread out, either on the floor or the red modern cushion bench thing outside the luxury stores. It wasn't ideal. The bathrooms were also a letdown. They seemed modern, sleek and clean - but the technology was broken - the automatic toilets kept flushing and wouldn't stop, no matter what cubical. My girlfriend complained about the same thing. The terminal signing was inadequate, of course, we eventually got to our gate, but there was no mention of the need to get a monorail (which took an additional 10 minutes). There was also no mention that there would a duty-free by the gates (strange place?). However, there was nobody working in the duty-free when I sought to buy some candy so I couldn't buy anything. Our flight back to London was delayed by an hour, due to goodness knows why - but there was completely no instruction about the change of gate on any signposting, further giving us more anxiety about just getting on the plane home. Once again, we had to do the whole bus thing to get on the plane which was long. Somehow, our bus made it to the plane, but the other bus didn't - and we had to wait on the flight for about 30 extra minutes just to wait for these people to get to the plane, which is rather odd seeing as both of our buses left at the same time. It was completely ridiculous. This airport is painful to travel to/from and I do not recommend it.
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"security controls have been improved"

(Italy)

Verified Review | The security controls at Rome Fiumicino terminal 3 have been improved. The boarding pass check is electronic, resulting in a good saving of time. Around the check in desks I found not too many screens to identify the check in desk for my flight, I had to walk around for a while. After the security check, the signs are clear. Very good shops in the D area, covering a lot of different items. The staff are efficient and kind. Clean bathrooms with sensor systems to open water, provide the soap and dry the hands, allowing me to wash my hands without touching anything. The seats around the gate are not enough according to me, especially if your gate is D8, D9 or D10.
Date VisitNovember 2016