Rome Fiumicino Airport

Review by (United States) 24th July 2015

I was traveling with a large group - 36 in total from a High School in NJ, USA. Our flight was cancelled to Amsterdam and the craziness ensued. Changing flights for 36 people - we waited, and waited, and waited and were finally processed in small groups. Locals tried to cut the line in the middle of my group and became belligerent. I tried to explain that they can't cut in the middle of our group - they didn't care. To make matters even more complicated, just try to get any receipts stamped for the VAT refund. I waited in line - 20-30 people in front of me. When I finally got to a rep - they told me to go to window 152 or 172. This was the same line for Customs with another 30+ people on line and I was trying to catch a connecting flight. More people in the 2nd Customs line became belligerent and thought I was cutting, when I was asking a question to an employee. She escorted me to a 3rd Customs line - 10 or so people in front of me. Immediately in front of me was a family from Japan with a stack of receipts to be stamped by Customs. After the Customs agent stamped their stack of 10+ receipts - he closed the window! Customs agent refused to listen to me - at this point - I (and 3 other students) was losing my VAT tax and there was nothing I could do. This airport is the most disorganized and unprofessional airport I've been in.
Date Visit24-07-2015

Review by (Canada) 24th July 2015

Complete and utter chaos is the best word to describe this airport. Arrived at least 2 hours early and we wanted for the departure gate in section D. Right at the scheduled boarding time, my partner checked the screen only to find that our 16.05 flight to Geneva has disappeared from the screen! No one around to help us at all, so we checked the the information computer only to have the operator hang up on us! Finally found someone who called someone then we were informed that it was section B that we were now departing from, changing on us at the last minute. When we arrived at our rescheduled gate, it was still so disorganised! Even the lady at the gate called it 'crazy'. Next to CDG, this is another majorly unorgansied European airport.
Date Visit24-07-2015

Review by (Hong Kong) 22nd July 2015

Arrived at this airport early on a Saturday morning 2.5 hours before our flight back to Hong Kong after suffering from food poisoning the night prior. This last item may have clouded my judgement of this airport. The check-in and security process was slow but fine. Once into departures area I searched for some kind of pain relief for chronic headache only to be informed that there was no pharmacy anywhere throughout the whole airport due to the recent fire. I understand these are exceptional circumstances due to recent events but for an international airport not to make allowances and sell any form of pain relief is very poor in my opinion. In the end one of the other passengers took pity on me and gave me some for the flight. There only appeared to be limited food choices with huge queues with the majority of services being high end boutique stores available. Staff were not helpful whatsoever and just shrugged me off despite clearly distressed state.
Date Visit22-07-2015

Review by (United Kingdom) 19th July 2015

Train arrived from central Rome at around 9.22am which was fine. Then, they had one person on the check-in desk so the queue was large. The gate for my flight to Birmingham closed at 10.35 and we only got checked in at 10.40. Waiting at the gate we wanted food, large queues there, waited in one line only for us to be told to go to another line having waited 20 mins already so we didn't bother. Our flight was supposed to leave at 11.20 but we only got on the plane at around 11.40 because the ticket scanning machines were broken at the front. Bus to the plane was packed. Overall, the worst airport I have been to and wouldn't recommend it.
Date Visit19-07-2015

Review by (United Kingdom) 16th July 2015

Not too much to say really, found public transport fairly easy to navigate (train). Flights were delayed but I think this was an airline issue and they were able to rearrange my connections. Bought food which wasn't great but what you would expect. Toilets etc very clean. Only problem was that I bought duty free but as the bag wasn't stapled it was all confiscated at Heathrow.
Date Visit16-07-2015

Review by (Australia) 13th July 2015

How can one airport be so bad! I know many airports in many parts of the world and I have felt frustration more than once. Today a flight from Marseille to FCO took less than an hour, after being delayed for an hour. Arrival at FCO was chaos. First we had to wait on the runway apron for a while, then jammed like sardines into the buses and then the baggage carousel. Collecting the bags seriously took longer than the flight. After collecting the bags there was a crush of people all looking lost. Then we thought we'd take the express route to the city on the Leonardo Express. With our heavy bags we had to queue to get the lift up one floor then a long long walk to find the railway station. Then we find the trains are only hourly so we just get on with seconds to spare and again it's jam packed full and we stood all the way into Termini. In summary a one hour flight actually took us from official check in at 14.00hr to actual arrival in Rome city at 20.35hr. How's your maths? That's 6.5 hours for a one hour flight, not happy.
Date Visit12-07-2015

Review by (Italy) 12th July 2015

An old airport. Have not seen them upgrading anything in the last few years. Old infrastructure, that caused a fire last month. The airport feels dirty even when its clean. Signs rent to be in Italian. So go well in advance you're not familiar with the language.
Date Visit12-07-2015

Review by (United Kingdom) 5th July 2015

Arrival at Terminal 1 was pretty good, no passport check and only hand baggage so I was out very quickly. Getting the bus into the city was a bit chaotic (ticket offices just seemed to close at random) but once on the bus it was OK and cheap. Departing was another matter. I caught the train from Termini, it is a bit faster but not really worth the extra expense and it's a long walk from the station to T1. The self-service check-in did not work and the queue for desks was very long indeed, a nice member of staff suggested that with hand baggage I should go through security and act as a transfer passenger which worked except they could not allocate me a seat. The gate was being used for another flight and as soon as that finished boarding staff disappeared. The replacement appeared with about 30 minutes to departure and several of us waiting to be allocated seats. He was very distracted, dealing with one person and then walking away, the same with boarding, he would check half a dozen on and then do something else (to be fair he was alone but it was very inefficient and frustrating). We were boarded on a bus, there appeared to be only one so we had to wait while it went and came back. Once on board we waited for 10 minutes while nothing happened, on a very hot day. Finally the flight left over 30 minutes late for no real reason except poor organisation, a 20 minute wait for take-off put us about an hour late.
Date Visit05-06-2015

Review by (United Kingdom) 5th July 2015

We spent 3 hours 10 minutes queuing at the designated check in desk for UK flights. Although we arrived very early in the morning, there was already a long queue of approximately 200-300 people. There were 2 people behind the check in desks processing all our check ins. There were also people just trying to drop off bags, this section processed one couple over the hours we were there, and all they wanted was to leave suitcases. People were generally good for the first hour or so, but a few disagreements broke out occasionally as to who might be next in the endless queue. There were no announcements, no apologies for the waiting. People who could not take the heat or the standing sat around on the closed check in baggage areas, a few people sat on the floor. Even a supply of water from the staff there would have been a help, especially to those elderly, young or travelling alone. It was a depressing, and exhausting experience, with the lack of any support whatsoever. We will never use this airport again.
Date Visit05-07-2015

Review by (Sweden) 4th July 2015

We arrived early to the airport. We looked at the boards and went to the assigned desk. To our surprise there were several people in front of the desk and only a couple behind it. We joined the line. Quite soon we noticed that the line didn't move at all. In one hour no more than 10 people passed through the desk. Note: we had done check-in, all we wanted to do was drop the luggage. It took us more than two hrs to do a luggage drop. It took us four hrs to go from Sorrento to Rome. Our experience at the airport was crazy. Let me also add that the flight was late in leaving the gate.
Date Visit04-07-2015