Rome Ciampino Airport

"Awful service and no respect"

(Romania)

Verified Review | At arrival, (2am due to delays), there was no option except Taxis to get to City Center. The taxi driver charged us 60 Euros for driving us only to the nearest accommodation (5km). All the taxi drivers there asked for the same price, when the usual one was €30. Bus ticket machines not accepting credit cards and no paper cash (broken), only coins worked, which we had none. On return, we had our flight at 6am, and had to arrive early (1am), because of the fact that there is no public transport available after midnight. Buses do not stop at stations if you do not push the request to stop button. We ended up in the middle of nowhere at 11:.40pm, missed our last bus connection, with no option but hitchhiking (we we're lucky that we found a Romanian fella who drove us to the airport). After arriving at the airport, we had to wait outside, in the cold, until 4am when the airport opens. It was horrible. Some staff was inside, but the departures section was closed. Awful service and no respect for humankind.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"Lovely and quiet"

Verified Review | Lovely and quiet, sat outside on grass for a bit as early. Places to eat before checking in and a WHSmiths! Didn't need to queue barely at all for security. Lovely snack shop in departures with excellent vegetarian options and also drinks / snacks to take onboard! Duty free shop nice size too. Good prices.
Date VisitAugust 2017

"a sour note to end a holiday"

Verified Review | My wife and I (elderly couple) flew back to England from Rome Ciampino on 11/07/17. (Flight FR9651) I feel I have to add my voice to the many negative comments below, although I suspect our experience is something of a novel one. Because of a permanent back injury, I walk with a stick when on my feet for any length of time - e.g. queuing at an airport. When our boarding gate opened one hour late, we made our way to passport control. There was no queue at the kiosk "All Passports", but the official was adamant we use the automatic scanner. My wife went through, but when I tried, the waist high barrier closed behind me, and the barrier in front of me would not open. I was stuck there for several minutes until eventually the same official could be bothered to sort things out. To make matters worse we consequently missed our Ryanair priority boarding shuttle, and were accused by ground staff of queue jumping on trying to board the next bus. A sour note to end a holiday.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"worst airport I have ever experienced"

Verified Review | The worst airport I have ever experienced which is saying alot because I have been to many all over the world. If someone paid me money to travel via this airport I would refuse. At arrival, on disembarking the aircraft, we had to get a 1 min bus ride to the terminal which took us past the door of the terminal we could see from the aircraft, around in a circle back to the same terminal door we originally passed. The taxi arrangements are mind boggling, clearly logistics is not a concept understood by management of this airport. After about 40 mins we got a cab once the driver volunteered that we could cab share with another very confused couple who like us had no idea what was going on. At departure, we were waiting 45 minutes in a queue for check in. There were 3-4 desks open taking passengers for all flights and because of the check in delays had to call passengers from the queue to avoid them missing their flight. It would have been easier to open the other desks and having specific desks for specific flights. Security procedures are ridiculous here, no signs to say what needs to be removed from hand luggage i.e. electronics, toiletries etc which meant there were delays at security while personnel went through everyone's bag even if we had removed said electronics or toiletries. The departure lounge is a joke, firstly because consecutive flights to the same destination go out from the same gate, the departure boards will have both flights listed so passengers seeing their gate shown will go through passport control and once through, there are no facilities except for ridiculously expensive vending machine. Secondly, the amount of seating available, before and after passport control is shockingly bad. Clearly this airport is not intended to cater for the volume of passengers going through it but why make passengers feel like it is their fault. The worst part was that we experienced a +7 hour flight delay, it started out with us boarding a bus to the aircraft, parking up at an aircraft then despite no evident communication between any of the aircraft/ground personnel and driver (they did not appear to have radios at this airport or at least I failed to see a single member of staff with a radio) but the driver started up the bus and took us back to the terminal. We waited on the bus for a while and eventually were finally told there was a problem and would be waiting 10 minutes for it to be resolved. 10 minutes turned into hours, airport staff were nowhere to be seen so only for updates via airline apps, no one would have known what was happening. I don't have anything positive to say about this airport, can you tell?
Date VisitJune 2017

"will be avoiding this airport"

Verified Review | Rome Ciampino is one of the worst airports I've used. Today we had to queue for 30 minutes for bag drop off, no airport staff to let us know if we were in right queue. When eventually we got through we had to queue for an hour for boarding gates, again no staff to direct us, people trying to get through the crowd to see where to go, flights departing within 5 minutes of each so everyone in the same queue, nowhere to get food as we had to queue for so long. Will be avoiding this airport in future.
Date VisitJune 2017

"there are not enough seats"

(Cyprus)

This is the most uncomfortable departure lounge I have ever used. It is cramped. There are not enough seats for passengers waiting. There is only one cafe (where the food and drink selection is very limited) and insufficient seating for people wishing to eat. Not a pleasant experience.
Date VisitApril 2017

"my advice is stay away"

(Sweden)

Verified Review | There are three problems with Rome Ciampino airport. The staff — or lack of them and the few are not interested in helping. The cab drivers. The taxi culture at this airport is not friendly. The size. If you like to feel like cattle, then - welcome. My advice is: stay away, no matter what, stay away.
Date VisitDecember 2016

"everything was clean, simple, well organized"

(Portugal)

Verified Review | Airport is quite small and spartan but everything was clean, simple, well organized and easy to get to. Queuing times to the security checks were fast. Waiting rooms were a bit small but there was adequate seating and everything was kept clean. Airport staff was friendly and helpful. Shopping facilities were scarce. Although I had a good experience with this airport, I witnessed passengers having trouble with constant changing boarding doors, one flight change the departure door about 6 times in 5 minutes and that was disconcerting to watch. The taxi dock was small, very confusing to use and Taxi drivers were not very honest. Accessibility to the airport was medium at best, being only reachable by car or using a few busses.
Date VisitNovember 2016

"a delightful airport with good facilities"

Having seen many bad reviews I was expecting the worst. However our departure was at 19.30 and so the airport was not too busy. At that time it was a delightful airport with good facilities. I can see that if four or more flights were leaving close to each other then seats available may well be inadequate, especially at the departure gate. In that case my advice is don't go to the gate early. Wait until closer to your departure time. I know some travelers like to go to the gate early, afraid of being left behind. Don't worry, you won't be. As far as arriving at the airport is concerned, take a taxi into Rome. Ok it costs more than the bus but it's worth every penny.
Date VisitSeptember 2016

"chaotic queues, badly signposted"

The luggage carousel at Rome Ciampino airport broke down after our flight arrived from Dublin so spent an extra 30 minutes or so waiting for a restart. As a result missed the Terravision bus to Rome Termini. A rep informed us there would not be another Terravision bus for 2 hours. Chaotic queues for other buses and badly signposted. Overall horrible experience.
Date VisitSeptember 2016