Rome Ciampino Airport

"much potential but poor service"

Not Verified | 3/10 Why? So much potential but poor service. Flew with Ryanair. Queue of 70-80 people and only 1 person working on baggage check in. Airside 2 cafeterias - 1 has 3 staff, serving sandwiches and coffee; the other has 2 staff and serves waffles and chocolate and coffee. There are at least 900 people here and 8 or more flights are delayed by more than an hour. At least 300 people standing or sitting against the walls (people are competing for wall spaces to lean back on) because there are far too few seats. WH Smith has a poor selection of English magazines and no magazines to help you study Italian. Duty Free hidden within the clouds of perfume scent is the sour aroma of damp, festering within the brick and plaster of the building. Other shops a ridiculous shop where they price iPad sleeves at €130. Also damp smelling. A 'design' shop that sells rubbish. For people who are bored and 'need to buy something'. There is a lot more opportunity to install another food Caffe, make the waffles part of the other caffes and get to of half of the duty free shop and install a playspace for kids. That said, there is a piano to play, which is quite cool. Naturally though, all you can hear is plinky plonky noise from bored kids bashing away at the keys because they're desperate for something to do. Finally, Ciampino cannot cater for passengers when there are delays. The weather is really miserable, rain pouring down and visibility is low. Of course there are delays. It is only a small airport, dominated by Ryanair. And Ryanair do not invest more than the absolute bare minimum, in order to maximise profit. To reflect the truth, it should just be called Ryanairport Roma.
Date VisitApril 2018

"has almost no seats"

Not Verified | Absolutely horrible airport. The mens bathroom has no urinals, and the toilets have seats that automatically go down. Gross! The terminal has almost no seats, meaning everyone has to stand while they wait for their flight. Would avoid this airport at all costs!
Date VisitApril 2018

"your worst travel experience"

(Moldova)

Trip Verified | I encountered such a problem by the first time: the airport closes during the night from 00.00 to 04.00 in the morning. Passengers are not allowed to wait for their morning flight in the airport and are kicked out on to the street. It doesn't matter it rains, if it's -5 degrees C or that it is simply night! No hotels nearby, taxi costs minimum 50 euros and simply no low cost solution to this situation, only freezing outside. I could not understand the reasons they treat people like animals, the airport itself is full of lights, and the personnel are still inside the building. As a conclusion, don't even think to spend the night at Ciampino, it will be your worst travel experience.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"found the staff very helpful"

Trip Verified | Having seen the negative reviews I was really concerned about using this airport as I was travelling with children but had to choose this airport due to convenience. My family and I found the staff very helpful and no issues with either arrival or departure. As long as you are organised and give yourself time to check in everything seems to run smoothly and efficiently. I noticed they seem to have a policy of pulling aside women wearing a headscarf to have a detailed search and scarf removed. This was done in a side room with a lady security guard who was polite throughout and treated me and my daughter very well. Food before security was a small restaurant with meat dishes, lasagne, risottos, side dishes and salads. Food after security was OK, a coffee shop that sells croissants, crepes, waffles and gelatos and a sandwich bar - the kids were happy with the selection and options. Small duty free area with the usual perfumes, chocolates, pasta and souvenirs. WHSmiths both sides of security, small but had sufficient items for a short haul flight. There was easy access to toilets and security line queues were very short at the the time of our fully booked flight which was 2pm. I was travelling with a toddler and at no time were we kept waiting or in any difficulty. Due to going through passport control with at least 60 minutes before the flight departure we managed to all get seats (family of 5) but I could see that those who came later about 30 mins before departure had to stand or sit on the floor. There is not enough seating but the flight was running on time so not long to wait if standing. I would use this airport again.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"your typical low cost airport"

Not Verified | There is no denying that Ciampino is your typical low cost airport with all that this entails. Having said that the arrival experience is not bad and you typically can be on your bus/taxi 10-15 minutes after landing. The transport options are varied but I recommend giving a miss to the overpriced Terravision bus and take instead the shuttle bus to Ciampino town station (1.50 Euros) and from there a local train to Termini station (one every 15 minutes. Fare 1.50 Euros: remember to stamp your ticket). Taxi is a fixed 30 Euros to the centre and if you are 4 people travelling it makes sense to hire one. Departure is a typically overcrowded experience with limited or non-existing seating and just a small bar with a huge queue. Duty free shops are pathetic and security long and stressful. No fingers to the plane available: it´s a small airport and you just walk to the aircraft stairs.
Date VisitNovember 2017

"Awful service and no respect"

(Romania)

Verified Review | At arrival, (2am due to delays), there was no option except Taxis to get to City Center. The taxi driver charged us 60 Euros for driving us only to the nearest accommodation (5km). All the taxi drivers there asked for the same price, when the usual one was €30. Bus ticket machines not accepting credit cards and no paper cash (broken), only coins worked, which we had none. On return, we had our flight at 6am, and had to arrive early (1am), because of the fact that there is no public transport available after midnight. Buses do not stop at stations if you do not push the request to stop button. We ended up in the middle of nowhere at 11:.40pm, missed our last bus connection, with no option but hitchhiking (we we're lucky that we found a Romanian fella who drove us to the airport). After arriving at the airport, we had to wait outside, in the cold, until 4am when the airport opens. It was horrible. Some staff was inside, but the departures section was closed. Awful service and no respect for humankind.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"Lovely and quiet"

Verified Review | Lovely and quiet, sat outside on grass for a bit as early. Places to eat before checking in and a WHSmiths! Didn't need to queue barely at all for security. Lovely snack shop in departures with excellent vegetarian options and also drinks / snacks to take onboard! Duty free shop nice size too. Good prices.
Date VisitAugust 2017

"a sour note to end a holiday"

Verified Review | My wife and I (elderly couple) flew back to England from Rome Ciampino on 11/07/17. (Flight FR9651) I feel I have to add my voice to the many negative comments below, although I suspect our experience is something of a novel one. Because of a permanent back injury, I walk with a stick when on my feet for any length of time - e.g. queuing at an airport. When our boarding gate opened one hour late, we made our way to passport control. There was no queue at the kiosk "All Passports", but the official was adamant we use the automatic scanner. My wife went through, but when I tried, the waist high barrier closed behind me, and the barrier in front of me would not open. I was stuck there for several minutes until eventually the same official could be bothered to sort things out. To make matters worse we consequently missed our Ryanair priority boarding shuttle, and were accused by ground staff of queue jumping on trying to board the next bus. A sour note to end a holiday.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"worst airport I have ever experienced"

Verified Review | The worst airport I have ever experienced which is saying alot because I have been to many all over the world. If someone paid me money to travel via this airport I would refuse. At arrival, on disembarking the aircraft, we had to get a 1 min bus ride to the terminal which took us past the door of the terminal we could see from the aircraft, around in a circle back to the same terminal door we originally passed. The taxi arrangements are mind boggling, clearly logistics is not a concept understood by management of this airport. After about 40 mins we got a cab once the driver volunteered that we could cab share with another very confused couple who like us had no idea what was going on. At departure, we were waiting 45 minutes in a queue for check in. There were 3-4 desks open taking passengers for all flights and because of the check in delays had to call passengers from the queue to avoid them missing their flight. It would have been easier to open the other desks and having specific desks for specific flights. Security procedures are ridiculous here, no signs to say what needs to be removed from hand luggage i.e. electronics, toiletries etc which meant there were delays at security while personnel went through everyone's bag even if we had removed said electronics or toiletries. The departure lounge is a joke, firstly because consecutive flights to the same destination go out from the same gate, the departure boards will have both flights listed so passengers seeing their gate shown will go through passport control and once through, there are no facilities except for ridiculously expensive vending machine. Secondly, the amount of seating available, before and after passport control is shockingly bad. Clearly this airport is not intended to cater for the volume of passengers going through it but why make passengers feel like it is their fault. The worst part was that we experienced a +7 hour flight delay, it started out with us boarding a bus to the aircraft, parking up at an aircraft then despite no evident communication between any of the aircraft/ground personnel and driver (they did not appear to have radios at this airport or at least I failed to see a single member of staff with a radio) but the driver started up the bus and took us back to the terminal. We waited on the bus for a while and eventually were finally told there was a problem and would be waiting 10 minutes for it to be resolved. 10 minutes turned into hours, airport staff were nowhere to be seen so only for updates via airline apps, no one would have known what was happening. I don't have anything positive to say about this airport, can you tell?
Date VisitJune 2017

"will be avoiding this airport"

Verified Review | Rome Ciampino is one of the worst airports I've used. Today we had to queue for 30 minutes for bag drop off, no airport staff to let us know if we were in right queue. When eventually we got through we had to queue for an hour for boarding gates, again no staff to direct us, people trying to get through the crowd to see where to go, flights departing within 5 minutes of each so everyone in the same queue, nowhere to get food as we had to queue for so long. Will be avoiding this airport in future.
Date VisitJune 2017