Rome Ciampino Airport

Review by (Ireland)

I would recommend Ciampino Airport to anyone travelling to Rome. Not because it's great, but because it's an awful lot better than Fiumicino! A few years ago I decided never again to travel through FCO. Ciampino hasn't great facilities but at least some of the workers try to help and are not as rude. There's something seriously wrong at Rome's main airport - from the top to the bottom, staff wise. Ciampino is easy to negotiate and my mildly disabled mother was treated well at the departure gate.
Date VisitMay 2015
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure

Review by (Australia)

Flying Ryanair from Rome to Manchester, 17th July. The queue for check-in may well have been the longest I have experienced, but it was one queue for several flights and several check-in desks and it did not take much more than 30 minutes to get through. Security was quick enough but the staff seemed to me to be overly officious, approaching the point of rudeness. Now comes the problem! There were 3 or 4 flights leaving at similar times from Hall B. There are very few seats near the gates and hundreds of people waiting, most sitting on the floor. There were so many that it was difficult to move around or over them. Buses take you to the plane. Strangely the first bus, which took those who had paid for Priority Boarding, was only half full, whilst there were a couple of hundred still waiting to board and it seemed that we had to wait for that same bus to return again. I just wonder why they did not allow some of the non-payers to fill the bus and therefore save time, achieving a departure which would have been on time.
Date VisitJuly 2015

Rome Ciampino Airport customer review

Review by (United Kingdom)

Coming into Ciampino was fine straightforward and we found the car rental easy enough using the rental shuttle. However coming home was a completely different story. We booked on 6.25am flight to Manchester and reached airport at midnight expecting a few hours to kill have food and drink and somewhere to sit. What actually happened was departures shut at midnight until 4.30am! We were told arrivals is open so headed there. What we found was no food or drink facilities and nowhere to sit as there was not enough seats. We lay on the cold floor for 4 hours with many others who had nowhere to sit. This is completely unacceptable. When departures opened there was a massive queue for check in and no staff to check us in until 5am. By this time the queue was outside the main doors. Still no refreshments available to buy not even a single vending machine. By the time we checked in there was another huge queue for security mingling in with the queue for check in. People were pushing in through fear of missing their flight and there was no airport staff to help organise the chaos. We were rushed through security and just made the flight. It was a terrible experience. I would definitely not use this airport again.

Rome Ciampino Airport customer review

Review by (United Kingdom)

I use Ciampino regularly - at least 6 times a year - as the flights in and out tend to be the most convenient for me. I agree with many of the reviewers comments that the airport is overcrowded with far too little seating both before and after passport control. The food is limited and of pretty mediocre quality. Getting through security on arrival and departure is relatively pain free. Then we get to transport to and fro! I tend to use the local Cottral bus and the metro from Anagnina to Termini and on to Tiburtina to catch a local train but must stress that in rush hour the journey from Termini to Ciampino (and the other way) can take up to 2 hours as the buses from Anagnina to Ciampino are only every 40 minutes. So long as you know what to expect and have only carry-on bags I still prefer it to Fiumicino.

Rome Ciampino Airport customer review

Review by (United States)

The bus from Ciampino to the Termini train station is extremely expensive. A 1 hr wait twice to get on the bus. Better by far to take a cab or a bus to the Anangama train station. Ryanair service from Ciampino is awful. If you are a US citizen you must stand in line with those checking baggage for 1 hr to get your passports checked. The passport check took less than 10 seconds. Ryanair needs to have a separate kiosk where you can get your passport and boarding pass.

Review by

My favourite 'little airport' that I use regularly - up to 4 times a year. Arrival; from aircraft landing to sitting on the bus to Termini - around 15 minutes if you only have carry- on bags. Bus from CIA to Termini costs €4 one way (but €6 if you buy the ticket at Termini for return to CIA). The quickest airport to get through on arrival I've ever been in. Departure; check-in lines are similar to all airports and take up to 40 mins but security is a breeze. Very limited shops airside but this is a 'little airport'. Airside seating limited but most people stand in the queue for hours to be the first onboard anyway.

Review by

Just had a lovely break in Frascati and used airport for the 1st time. When we arrived we were quoted €50 to take a taxi into Frascati. We declined and asked at information the best way. We were told to take bus to Termini in Rome and then a local train back. We did this no problem. Costing €5 each for the bus and €1.90 for the local train. But it was time consuming! We took a taxi from the hotel coming back for €36 not cheap but far easier than trying to time trains and flights. We have since discovered that we could have caught local train to Ciampino station and then a bus to the airport. Why is this information not given at the information desk in the airport? I agree with comments about the airport itself Flights all seem to go at the same time and very busy with nowhere to sit and nothing to do.

Review by

Complete and utter mayhem. Far too small for the amount of travellers using it. Not enough seats unless you include the floor. The only redeeming feature for this airport are the excellent friendly staff.

Review by

Just to add to John Spring's comprehensive post: the bus from Anagnina Metro station gets very crowded and although we got on it some unlucky passengers had to wait another 40mins for the next bus.

Review by

The hire cars are located too far away from the airport terminal. My wife is registered disabled and we had difficulty in collecting and returning our hire car.The airport was excellent but the lack of easily accessible transportation proved too much .