Airline of the Year

Rome Ciampino Airport

"there are not enough seats"

(Cyprus)

This is the most uncomfortable departure lounge I have ever used. It is cramped. There are not enough seats for passengers waiting. There is only one cafe (where the food and drink selection is very limited) and insufficient seating for people wishing to eat. Not a pleasant experience.
Date VisitApril 2017

"my advice is stay away"

(Sweden)

Verified Review | There are three problems with Rome Ciampino airport. The staff — or lack of them and the few are not interested in helping. The cab drivers. The taxi culture at this airport is not friendly. The size. If you like to feel like cattle, then - welcome. My advice is: stay away, no matter what, stay away.
Date VisitDecember 2016

"everything was clean, simple, well organized"

(Portugal)

Verified Review | Airport is quite small and spartan but everything was clean, simple, well organized and easy to get to. Queuing times to the security checks were fast. Waiting rooms were a bit small but there was adequate seating and everything was kept clean. Airport staff was friendly and helpful. Shopping facilities were scarce. Although I had a good experience with this airport, I witnessed passengers having trouble with constant changing boarding doors, one flight change the departure door about 6 times in 5 minutes and that was disconcerting to watch. The taxi dock was small, very confusing to use and Taxi drivers were not very honest. Accessibility to the airport was medium at best, being only reachable by car or using a few busses.
Date VisitNovember 2016

"a delightful airport with good facilities"

Having seen many bad reviews I was expecting the worst. However our departure was at 19.30 and so the airport was not too busy. At that time it was a delightful airport with good facilities. I can see that if four or more flights were leaving close to each other then seats available may well be inadequate, especially at the departure gate. In that case my advice is don't go to the gate early. Wait until closer to your departure time. I know some travelers like to go to the gate early, afraid of being left behind. Don't worry, you won't be. As far as arriving at the airport is concerned, take a taxi into Rome. Ok it costs more than the bus but it's worth every penny.
Date VisitSeptember 2016

"chaotic queues, badly signposted"

The luggage carousel at Rome Ciampino airport broke down after our flight arrived from Dublin so spent an extra 30 minutes or so waiting for a restart. As a result missed the Terravision bus to Rome Termini. A rep informed us there would not be another Terravision bus for 2 hours. Chaotic queues for other buses and badly signposted. Overall horrible experience.
Date VisitSeptember 2016

"nowhere to sit, anywhere"

Verified Review | Rome Ciampino is a horrific airport. There are people - everywhere! To queue for our flight would have meant missing it due to the sheer volume of passengers (fortunately we only have hand-luggage and checked in online.) There's nowhere to sit, anywhere at all. People are having to find a space on the floor and sit on each other. There doesn't appear to be any flow of air in the terminal, considering the 30 plus degree heat outside. Security staff speak to customers like farmer's cattle. I'm so glad I paid hundreds of pounds for this privilege. Oh and the shopping is extremely overpriced.
Date VisitSeptember 2016

"there is nowhere to sit"

Verified Review | Easy to get to, security pretty quick. Everything else is rubbish. There is nowhere to sit. The airport needs probably two or three times the number of seats and in my opinion there at lots of places these could be added. It seems to me that the airport terminal is not big enough to handle the number of flights/passengers adequately.
Date VisitSeptember 2016

"the worst I have ever seen"

Extremely rude security staff. 5am and there is a massive security queue. Everyone looks tired, as like us they wouldn't have slept much. We are on time though, very happy after our holiday in Rome and ready to go straight back to work. Until the moment where a male security officer from lane #2 screams "laptops! tablets!". As I was almost asleep I said "yes" indicating my tray, implying that I had taken out of my bag the only mobile device I had with me - my mobile phone. At that point he starts shouting at me. "This is a mobile phone! This is not a tablet! Don't you know the difference between a phone and a tablet? Get your tablet out! Where is your laptop?" And picks up my bag prior to screening. Calmly I respond that I don't have a laptop or a tablet with me, only my mobile phone. At that point he goes through another lecture of the difference between several mobile devices. It's 5 in the morning, we had to wait in a massive queue and someone who is getting paid to be a security officer believes that he has the right to ruin someone's day? Who has told him that it is ok to speak like that in the airport passengers? Security is of paramount importance, so is kindness though. I am a frequent traveler, and really enjoy airports. The service level of Ciampino Security is the worst I have ever seen. The management really needs to take some immediate action, other than changing the toilets sign (but not the facilities themselves).
Date VisitAugust 2016

"the most appalling customer service"

Easily the worst airport I have ever travelled to/from in my life. Terrible facilities and the most appalling customer service I have ever experienced. Security was non-existent (and we travelled the weekend of the Paris terrorist attacks), no announcements were made for boarding over the tannoy at any point. My partner and I were at the gate an hour before we were due to board our flight back to Manchester with Ryanair, I nipped to the toilet while everyone stood waiting in the very long boarding queue, and when I returned back I was denied access to my flight. The last couple of passengers were still walking through the doors and onto the bus less than 100 metres in front of me, but I was told I was not allowed through as I went to the toilet. The 'Supervisor' then proceeded to walk out of the building and left us standing there with no information as to how we were to get home. Absolutely shocking.
Date VisitNovember 2015

"all processes were smooth and fast"

(Romania)

Small airport, practically a Ryanair hub, is more convenient than Fiumicino to reach Rome city center. There's few options to go to Termini Station, fast and cheap. All processes, from disembark after landing to boarding at return were smooth and fast. The ground staff was polite and efficient. Limited offer for food, drinks and shopping. I will not hesitate to use Ciampino Airport again.
Date VisitOctober 2015